2015 Chamboulé, Chardonnay, Sonoma Coast, NTE

New (to me) project of Francois Morissette. FWIW, I read the fruit for this bottling came from the Heitz Vineyard. It is delicious. Pineapple, lemon, honey with good acidity. Not sure what the NTE stands for but I did find the 2016 version is YTE (Your Torment is Endless). Going back for more and I might have to try the Cab Franc and/or Pinot Noir.

2005 Château Cantemerle

2009 Lynch Bages

2014 Schrader LPV

2016 Dirty and Rowdy especial

2017 Rodney Strong cab of some sort

The Cantemerle was still a bit tight but nice. The LB was a tight baby and a little tough. Glad I own some though! Mine will sleep for another decade. The Schrader after four hours of air was singing but needed another 3 years or hours to show best. The especial was fun but still serious and benefited from a good mollydooker shake. The Rodney strong is what you get when you invite a non wine guy to a wine dinner... 

Over the past few days:

2017 Burlotto Pelaverga - CORKED

1997 Fontodi Chianti Classico - Just awesome sangiovese.  Cherries, leather, marzipan.  Still fresh with that dry sweetness you can get in aged sangio.  I would love to sneak this into '97 BdM horizontal and watch it clean up.

2016 Brash Higgins ZBO - all the apricots/orange zest & white flowers one should expect out of a skin contact zibibo.  not bad, but the value isnt there for me with the occhipinti sp68 ~30% less $$.

2016 TH Wines Viognier/roussanne - lighter, guessing its mostly viognier, acidic and aromatic with a hint of roussanne body.  ok. 

2015 Benoit Roseau syrah - CORKED

1996 Travaglini Gattinara Riserva - CORKED

2006 Vallana Campi Raudii - at this point, just happy it wasnt corked.  Lots of reduction when opened, blew off in 45 min or so, went well with dinner.  

I havent had a run of TCA affected bottles like this ever.  I couldnt believe it when i decanted the gattinara as the 3rd bottle in 4 days.   I left it out, said nothing, wathced MRs. VeV pour a glass and walk off....  stop dead in her tracks, turn back with her nose in the glass, looked at me and said "you gotta be f______ing kinggng me.....  did you smell this yet?"  I acknowledged it.  She walks back cursing like a trucker under breath and poured the decanter down the sink in anger.  There was no critical assesment or analysis of the vallana after that.  It was binary - corked or not. No TCA?  Good.  Let's have dinner.

Some wine with friends at dinner over the weekend:

2016 Big Table Farm Chardonnay 

2017 Walter Scott Cuvee Anne Chardonnay

2012 La Rioja Alta Vina Arana Gran Reserva 

2015 Bibbiano Chianti Classico Riserva

All showed really well and made me consider loading up on all of them, seeing as none of them were over 35$.  

azwiese posted:

All showed really well and made me consider loading up on all of them, seeing as none of them were over 35$.  

So the 2015 Bibbiano lived up to the hype?  

2001 Pontet Canet - this was half-consumed a couple of weeks ago; put a stopper in it and forgot about it until yesterday.  Wow, what an amazing wine.  It picked up a lot of weight - very full bodied, with luscious cocoa-dusted dried cherries.  

eltoro posted:
azwiese posted:

So the 2015 Bibbiano lived up to the hype?  

I mean, I don't have a ton of experience with sangiovese, but I thought it was a delicious bottle of wine.  I'm not sure if it blew my socks off the way you would expect a 95 point wine  to do, but it is a wine I would definitely drink over and over again.  I would say that I prefer tempranillo to sangiovese, so I liked the Rioja Alta a tiny bit more... but both of those bottles were great.  

2016 Yohan Lardy, Moulin a Vent, Les Michelons

Picked this up last year at a tasting where we meet and talked with young Yohan. Really nice guy and passionate about his wine which shows through. This bottle is a top class BoJo. Bright fruit, good acidity and structured. Can definitely be aged.

Add Reply

Likes (0)