Skip to main content

2005 Truchot Morley-Saint-Denis VV - in an excellent drinking window now

2015 Francois Mikulski Mersault Charme - Good now but needs a little more time

2004 Querce Bettina BdM - Roberto’s first vintage and still my favorite. Still fresh with the purity of the fruit coming to the forefront 

2016 Querce Bettina Rosso di Montalcino - the best young RdM I’ve ever tasted. 

2016 Antolini Corvina Veronese - a huge surprise for me and a great QPR

An epic dinner with friends last night at Grappa. We tasted lots of wines, gained some good insights along the way, had delicious food but most of all enjoyed the company of a great group of friends. Grappa did an amazing job of accommodating the number of wines we had.

Rather than detailed notes, here are some impressions on the wines...

The Lanson Champers was full flavoured with toasty notes and lively acidity - nice. The Baron Fuente was a bit lighter but showed good breadth and complexity and was very enjoyable despite being a bit light on mousse.

All the Nebbiolo's showed well. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 2003 showed and was told that's the quality of the producer showing there (Seems to be the theme for hot vintages). The 2004 Brovia started off a bit tight but opened up beautifully, is a stunner and has a long way to go. The 2010 La Ganghija - very nice and didn't seem to young at all.

Of the Barbera, I preferred the older with the 2012 and 1999 being my favorites. The 2012 had more going on but the 1999 was more integrated and simply beautiful. Of the younger Barbera, the Sandrone had the most immediate appeal but the Giacosa was the most balanced imo.

All the BdMs showed well, save one which appeared to be corked. There was some question about this but 1 iffy wine out of so many - I'm not complaining!

The Cappellano Chinato reminded my why I love Chinato - Christmas in a glass. Beautiful with Tiramisu. The Recioto, also wonderful and showed what a great Amarone producer can to with Recioto.

Here's the list:

2009 Baron Fuente Brut Champagne

2007 Lanson Brut Champagne

2004 Brovia Barolo
2003 Mauro Moline Barolo
2010 La Ganghija Barbaresco

1999 La Spinetta Barbera d'Alba Gallina
2012 Aldo Conterno Barbera Conca Tre Pile
2015 G. B. Burlotto Barbera d'Alba Aves
2016 Luciano Sandrone Barbera d'Alba
2017 Bruno Giacosa Barbera d'Alba

2008 Val di Suga BdM
2013 Frescobaldi Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino

2001 Cupano
2001 Fuligni
2001 Campogiovanni
2001 Banfi Poggio alle Mura

Cappellano Barolo Chinato
Recioto

2003 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères.  Like Paul Draper and Serge Hochar had some wierd love child.   All the funk.  All the fresh.  Loved it. 

been buying them for years when i can get them, first experience with one over 5+ years old and it only reinforces my need to keep buying them. Was somewhere between a mid-90s lytton springs and a mid-00's ch. musar.    Could go another 5 years easy.  probably longer.

vinoevelo posted:

2003 Domaine Léon Barral Faugères.  Like Paul Draper and Serge Hochar had some wierd love child.   All the funk.  All the fresh.  Loved it. 

been buying them for years when i can get them, first experience with one over 5+ years old and it only reinforces my need to keep buying them. Was somewhere between a mid-90s lytton springs and a mid-00's ch. musar.    Could go another 5 years easy.  probably longer.

I’ve never had one with age on it, but I’m a huge fan of his wines. Never had the basic bottling; I’ve had the Valiniere a couple of times and loved it. But the Jadis has been a go-to for me for a long time.  Glad to read that they age!

2016 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard 'Elysian'

I don't know why you'd ever spend more if you want that Cult Cali Cab profile. Every bit as good as a Harlan etc... As much as I love the N.Rhones etc. and the weird wines that vinoevelo and I bond over, sometimes when you're at an old fashioned steakhouse (in this case Barberians), having a 14oz bone-in strip, garlic bread, fixed-up baked potato etc, nothing fits better than a huge Californian Cabernet.  

robsutherland posted:

2016 Myriad Cellars Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard 'Elysian'

I don't know why you'd ever spend more if you want that Cult Cali Cab profile. Every bit as good as a Harlan etc... As much as I love the N.Rhones etc. and the weird wines that vinoevelo and I bond over, sometimes when you're at an old fashioned steakhouse (in this case Barberians), having a 14oz bone-in strip, garlic bread, fixed-up baked potato etc, nothing fits better than a huge Californian Cabernet.  

We're in sync here, Rob. A big Cali Cab definitely scratches an itch I get now and then. Even more often, I get the itch for a Cali Cab with 20-30 years of age on it, especially to accompany some dead cow on the BBQ and grilled potatoes.

As for Myriad, I bought the 2013, 14 and 16 lineups (not sure what happened in 2015) but have now stopped because, well, I've just stopped buying wines in general that need another 15+ years before they're in my wheelhouse.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.