2012 Liquid Farm Golden Slope - Oak has integrated and I was pleasntly suprised by this.  Last time i had it, it was a big buttery oaky mess and now its really come around.

2013 Rolet Chardonnay Arbois

2013 Marie Courtin Effloresence - love this bottling. Was perfect foil to a well executed but eclectic tasting menu.

2005 Carlisle Two Acres - Lots of smokey meaty mourvedre goodness.  Could still age it at least another 5+ years.

2011 Vietti Perbacco

2015 Occhipinti SP68 Rosso - a rare sound bottle.

2012 Dom. des Aphillanthes CdR VV

2013 Domaine Nowack, Champagne, La Tuilerie, Extra Brut Chardonnay

2005 Vietti, Barolo, Rocche

2005 Chateau Lillian-Ladouys, St. Estephe

The Nowack was outstanding. Not a house I'm familiar with but I intend to be. The Vietti is drinking well. Not sure it will improve much, but I'll hold my other bottle for a few years to see.

With cometspider, Gentleman farmer, Bieds and Festiva last night:

• 1982 Ducru Beaucaillou 
  • 1996 Ducru Beaucaillou
  • 1998 Montrose
  • 1995 Léoville Poyferre
  • 2000 Lynch Bages

Every wine showed well, and it was fun to follow them all over 3 hours or so.

Enjoyed at St. Anselm in the up and coming Union Market section of NE Washington, DC.  Our second offline here, and I'm quite sure it will not be our last.   Tremendous steaks and sides.  Feels more like a hunting lodge than a steakhouse.  Thoughtful wine service with excellent stems and wines decanted into Erlenmeyer flasks with handwritten tags to identify each wine.  The servers brought us a complimentary round of Madeira as a thank you for giving them tastes of our wine.  A wonderful evening, with a great group of gentlemen.

PH

Was invited to an Hourglass tasting last night. All wines were from the 2017 vintage. 

Hourglass Estate Cabernet - great fruit and not overly extracted. Excellent 

Hourglass Estate Sauvignon Blanc - very Bordeaux like

Hourglass Blueline Estate Merlot - very similar to Paloma and a very good Merlot 

Hourglass Blueline Estate Cabernet - good but not great

Hourglass Blueline Estate Right Bank - if had been served blind I would have said this was a Cheval Blanc from a decent vintage. Excellent 

Hourglass Blueline Estate Cabernet 36 - glad to see CA Cabs going back to a more restrained style. Not jammy and an excellent cab. 

purplehaze posted:

With cometspider, Gentleman farmer, Bieds and Festiva last night:

• 1982 Ducru Beaucaillou 
  • 1996 Ducru Beaucaillou
  • 1998 Montrose
  • 1995 Léoville Poyferre
  • 2000 Lynch Bages

Every wine showed well, and it was fun to follow them all over 3 hours or so.

Enjoyed at St. Anselm in the up and coming Union Market section of NE Washington, DC.  Our second offline here, and I'm quite sure it will not be our last.   Tremendous steaks and sides.  Feels more like a hunting lodge than a steakhouse.  Thoughtful wine service with excellent stems and wines decanted into Erlenmeyer flasks with handwritten tags to identify each wine.  The servers brought us a complimentary round of Madeira as a thank you for giving them tastes of our wine.  A wonderful evening, with a great group of gentlemen.

PH

Where was my invitation. Would love to see all the guys again. Hope everyone is doing well. 

2009 Bruno Paillard Premier cuvée champagne

2016 Château de Nalys cdp from magnum 

2016 Guigal lieu dit st-Joseph 

2017 Guigal white cdp

2017 château de nalys saint-pierres de Nalys cdp

2015 Château Brown bordeaux white

2014 Guigal Chateau D’Ampuis Côte-Rôtie

2017 Mas Julien white

Dinner last week with DoubleD, waterdr and green wine.  One of the most notable wines of the night was 2006 Cayuse God only Knows because it was exceptionally BAD.  Started out with a really lovely typical floral Grenache nose, but there was this really horrible bitter metallic aftertaste that just kept lingering long after consumption. It was like there was this solid core of Thallium on the midpalate and a hint of Radon and manganese on the finish.  I waited a week to write this note to make sure none of us died from radiation poisoning. Never been a big fan of Cayuse and this one didn't help. At least Cayuse got the name correct.  God only knows what the f... was in that bottle.

winedrmike posted:

Dinner last week with DoubleD, waterdr and green wine.  One of the most notable wines of the night was 2006 Cayuse God only Knows because it was exceptionally BAD.  Started out with a really lovely typical floral Grenache nose, but there was this really horrible bitter metallic aftertaste that just kept lingering long after consumption. It was like there was this solid core of Thallium on the midpalate and a hint of Radon and manganese on the finish.  I waited a week to write this note to make sure none of us died from radiation poisoning. Never been a big fan of Cayuse and this one didn't help. At least Cayuse got the name correct.  God only knows what the f... was in that bottle.

By the way, what was the Burg you also brought?  I was gonna post something but I didn't remember half the wines.    I remembered the 2004 Altesino Brunello, 2008 Larkmead Firebelle, ??? Ultramarine.  Didn't catch producer of the German Auslese.

doubled posted:
winedrmike posted:

By the way, what was the Burg you also brought?  I was gonna post something but I didn't remember half the wines.    I remembered the 2004 Altesino Brunello, 2008 Larkmead Firebelle, ??? Ultramarine.  Didn't catch producer of the German Auslese.

The German was a Donhoff.  Don't remember the year. The burg was a 1988 Maison Ambroise Corton Le Rognet.  The Altesino was a Montosoli.

Add Reply

Likes (0)