November 2018 - What are you drinking?

csm posted:
vint posted:
csm posted:

Over the last few days

200 Haut Bergey - Really good, but this bottle probably had just started to decline - Drink Up

At 1,818 years old some decline might be expected!

Seriously, if it's the 2000 you're referring to, I still have one and I will drink it soon.  

Oops!  2000 it was.  

Moi aussie CSM, thanks for the heads up.  

2015 Poggio Scalette Chianti Classico - yum

Last night, 2005 Sette Ponti Oreno, unfortunately flawed— stewed tomato and tomato leaf on the nose, very little fruit in the mouth, lots of drying tannins on the finish. Unpleasant.

bought on release, stored well, really disappointing. I’m thinking heat damage prior to purchase.😥

2015 Occhipinti SP68 red - 10th or 11th bottle from the case and they keep getting worse.  more sprtiz, more VA than the last bottle each time.  Think i'm done buying these and its a shame becuase when they're on they're great.  Too much uncertainity for me at this point.

vinoevelo posted:

2015 Occhipinti SP68 red - 10th or 11th bottle from the case and they keep getting worse.  more sprtiz, more VA than the last bottle each time.  Think i'm done buying these and its a shame becuase when they're on they're great.  Too much uncertainity for me at this point.

That's a shame.  Have you noticed similar issues with the whites?

csm posted:
vinoevelo posted:

That's a shame.  Have you noticed similar issues with the whites?

no issues with their whites.  have been buying a case a year for at least 2-3 years now.  I'm now worried about the higher-end bottling reds i have a few of in the cellar.  will find out eventually.

On Saturday night at Bleu Raisin a 14 year anniversary dinner for the Montreal Cru with KSC02, Mimik, Uncle John, Vinaigre , the visiting Futronic and two long lost Montreal members, Dr. C and Lovelandre...and some better halves. The loose theme was 2004 as that was the vintage we first started getting together.

NV (2009?) Leclerc Briant, Champagne, 1er Cru Les Chevres Pierreuses

2015 Chateau de Rochemorin, Pessac-Leognan, Blanc

2016 Francois Villard, St. Joseph, Mairlant Blanc

2004 Casanova di Neri, BdM, Tenuta Nuova

2004 Fontodi, IGT, Flaccianello delle Pieve

2004 Alvaro Palacios, Priorat, Finca Dofi (magnum)

2004 Le Vieux Donjon, CdP (magnum)

2004 Pio Cesare, Barolo

2004 Guigal, Cote-Rotie, La Mouline

2004 Guigal, Cote-Rotie, La Landonne

2002 Klein Constantia, Vin de Constance

2001 Philippe Delesvaux, CdL, SGN

Still thirsty after all that Fut, J and I polished off a couple more bottles but Fut will have to post those as I was, in the immortal words of Neil Young, too far gone. As for the above, my faves were the Leclerc-Briant, Finca Dofi and La Mouline. The nose on the latter was amazing. The La Landonne needs more time imo. We didn't take a vote but I heard a lot of positive comments for the Dofi. One of the bottles of the Flacc was badly corked and the other didn't seem quite right either.  

The 01 Delesvaux seems to be coming back to life. Over the years I've had this quite a few times. Loved it when it was young, but then it turned very dark and wasn't as good. The bottle on Saturday night was dark, but it was better than the last few I've had.  That said, I'll take the Constance any day.

Great evening and hopefully Dr. C and Lovelandre will start coming back out more regularly.

steve8 posted:

It was, as always, an excellent bottle of wine. It's not going to win a blind tasting or be WOTN, but always a delicious grenache dominant CdP. I doubt the 04 will improve, but no rush to drink it either. Especially in a mag.

Thanks much.

Thanks for posting Steve8. All were stellar, I didn't try the Pio Cesare and yes, regrettably the Flaccianello's were off.

My favs were the Finca Dofi as well as the La landonne. Felt the La Mouline needs more time. I also loved the Constance but of course. Steve8, you know that already. Second honorable mentions went to the Casanova di Neri and the Donjon in that order. The latter was overshadowed by the more powerful and concentrated wines served that night but that Donjon was special and almost burgundian in its finesse.

To another 14 years if our livers can manage it. Great seeing everyone.

winemanintheden posted:

2015 Chateau de la Dauphine

Good to hear. I had this years ago and it performed well as a solid qpr right bank wine.  Don't see it very often in our market though. 

2009 Paolo Scavino Barolo Cannubi - nice but a bit ripe for my tastes - vintage showing here imo. 

steve8 posted:

On Saturday night at Bleu Raisin a 14 year anniversary dinner for the Montreal Cru with KSC02, Mimik, Uncle John, Vinaigre , the visiting Futronic and two long lost Montreal members, Dr. C and Lovelandre...and some better halves. The loose theme was 2004 as that was the vintage we first started getting together.

NV (2009?) Leclerc Briant, Champagne, 1er Cru Les Chevres Pierreuses

2015 Chateau de Rochemorin, Pessac-Leognan, Blanc

2016 Francois Villard, St. Joseph, Mairlant Blanc

2004 Casanova di Neri, BdM, Tenuta Nuova

2004 Fontodi, IGT, Flaccianello delle Pieve

2004 Alvaro Palacios, Priorat, Finca Dofi (magnum)

2004 Le Vieux Donjon, CdP (magnum)

2004 Pio Cesare, Barolo

2004 Guigal, Cote-Rotie, La Mouline

2004 Guigal, Cote-Rotie, La Landonne

2002 Klein Constantia, Vin de Constance

2001 Philippe Delesvaux, CdL, SGN

Still thirsty after all that Fut, J and I polished off a couple more bottles but Fut will have to post those as I was, in the immortal words of Neil Young, too far gone. As for the above, my faves were the Leclerc-Briant, Finca Dofi and La Mouline. The nose on the latter was amazing. The La Landonne needs more time imo. We didn't take a vote but I heard a lot of positive comments for the Dofi. One of the bottles of the Flacc was badly corked and the other didn't seem quite right either.  

The 01 Delesvaux seems to be coming back to life. Over the years I've had this quite a few times. Loved it when it was young, but then it turned very dark and wasn't as good. The bottle on Saturday night was dark, but it was better than the last few I've had.  That said, I'll take the Constance any day.

Great evening and hopefully Dr. C and Lovelandre will start coming back out more regularly.

The other bottles were the 2015 Raul Perez Bierzo Ultrieia Rapolao and 2016 Chionetti Dogliani Briccolero, which were both great. I will need to order more Briccolero from the SAQ and have you pick it up for me, Steve.

Thanks for letting me crash the party! My favourite wines were the Leclerc-Briant 1er Cru (2009) and the Finca Dofi. Enjoyed the Last Mouline and Tenuta Nuova as well.

On Saturday night at a local bistro, a stunning bottle: 2007 N. Patel Latricieres-Chambertin. I was needlessly worried on opening that it had past its peak because after an hour’s decant it had swung to the other end if the spectrum; full of fruit and firm but polished tannins. It continued to improve over the following two hours and we were both reluctant to finish our final sips.

This bistro has chosen for some reason chosen to eschew port and all other sweet wines in favour of an amaro list, so I made the unfortunate decision to have a glass of amaro with our sticky toffee dessert. The amaro was beyond disgusting- so floral it was like drinking grandma’s perfume. So much for the lingering aftertaste of the Potel. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I know almost nothing about amaro so probably chose poorly from their list. But really, of the half dozen or so amaros I’ve had in my life, none appealed much. 

2004 Marcassin Estate Chardonnay

2009 Marcassin Estate Pinot Noir

1995 Araujo Eisele Vineyard Cab

2001 Araujo Eisele Vineyard Cab

2002 Araujo Eisele Vineyard Cab

1997 Dalla Valle Maya

2006 Sloan

2006 Colgin Cariad

2006 Cayuse Bionic Frog

2007 Sine Qua Non The Raven Syrah

vint posted:

On Saturday night at a local bistro, a stunning bottle: 2007 N. Patel Latricieres-Chambertin. I was needlessly worried on opening that it had past its peak because after an hour’s decant it had swung to the other end if the spectrum; full of fruit and firm but polished tannins. It continued to improve over the following two hours and we were both reluctant to finish our final sips.

This bistro has chosen for some reason chosen to eschew port and all other sweet wines in favour of an amaro list, so I made the unfortunate decision to have a glass of amaro with our sticky toffee dessert. The amaro was beyond disgusting- so floral it was like drinking grandma’s perfume. So much for the lingering aftertaste of the Potel. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I know almost nothing about amaro so probably chose poorly from their list. But really, of the half dozen or so amaros I’ve had in my life, none appealed much. 

Congrats on the anniversary buddy and booooo on the amaro comments 

Last night with Futronic and Mimik

2017 Principiano, Langhe Nebbiolo, Le Coste

2016 Envinate, Canary Islands, Migan

2004 Recaredo, Cava, Reserve Particular

2016 Badenhorst, Chenin Blanc, The Golden Slopes

2009 Domaine Tempier, Bandol, La Migoua

2001 Ciacci, BdM, Santa Caterina D'Oro Riserva

The first two wines on the list were pre-dinner warm ups with a few appetizers. The next four were all a serious step up in quality. The Recaredo is easily the best Cava I've ever had. In fact it's hard to even consider it a relation to most other Cavas I've had. Delicious stuff.

The WOTN was the Ciacci. Wow. I think this was the best Brunello I've ever had. Stunning. What a gorgeous bottle of wine. Suckling rated this 98 and this time he didn't overrate it imo. I bought this bottle at the winery back in 2007 and unfortunately it was the only one I bought.

ucladave posted:

1997 Dalla Valle Maya

2006 Sloan

2006 Colgin Cariad

2006 Cayuse Bionic Frog

How were the Marcassin's holding up ?

mangiare posted:
vint posted:

Hey I put my amaro ignorance on full display. I needs me some amaro schoolin’.

Didn't VeV try his hand at making some? 

vint posted:
mangiare posted:
vint posted:

Hey I put my amaro ignorance on full display. I needs me some amaro schoolin’.

Didn't VeV try his hand at making some? 

Congrats on the anniversary AND the excellent Pinot showing. Who needs amaro when you've got Pinot that's singing? 

shaferguy91 posted:
ucladave posted:

1997 Dalla Valle Maya

2006 Sloan

2006 Colgin Cariad

2006 Cayuse Bionic Frog

How were the Marcassin's holding up ?

The chardonnay was phenomenal, it was actually my WOTN. Unreal amount of butterscotch to this vintage, but no signs of oxidation whatsoever. The pinot fell a little short for me. It just wasn't giving up very much, even after a double decant at home for an hour.

Add Reply

Likes (0)