November 2018 - What are you drinking?

2016 Pieropan, Soave Classico, Calvarino

1997 Delaforce, VP, Quinta da Corte

The Delaforce was a little harsh on day 1 and not really to my liking. I left it in the decanter and revisited on days 3 and 4. Much, much better. Funny because I opened one back in 2007 and it didn't behave like that at all. I recall it being excellent right away. If you have it, leave it alone.

1990 Krug; still in her sweet spot .

1996 Dom Pérignon; still improving. Thanks, PH.

2010 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne; Brilliant.

1982 Leoville Las Cases; Stunning and an easy decade of life left.

1990 Montrose; Young, excellent and will outlive me. 

vinoevelo posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

2017 Pearl Morissette Irrévérence

2000 Eldredge Blue Chip Shiraz

How was the irreverence?  If you ever had the cuvee blu, how would you compare them?

Haven't tried the Cuvée Blu, but the Irrévérence was a very nice wine.  I really enjoy these types of blends.  All about the aromatics.

1995 Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires 
1985 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - while i enjoyed it, seemed slightly tired.
1983 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - crazy but showed tight. the last sip was the best. 
1970 Faustino I Gran Reserva - fantastic showing. 
1996 Giacosa Falletto Serralunga - wotn along with the faustino.
2000 Malescot st Exupery - drinking but will improve
1987 Mondavi Reserve 
2004 Tignanello
2005 Lamborghini Campoleone

mangiare posted:

1983 Biondi Santi Brunello Riserva - crazy but showed tight. the last sip was the best. 
1987 Mondavi Reserve 
2004 Tignanello

2010 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros - very good but I had expected more.
1988 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain - delicious, red & black fruit, dried tobacco leaf, a hint of capsicum, excellent acidity, and still showing some tannic grip. Lengthy finish.

Bytown Rick posted:
vinoevelo posted:
Bytown Rick posted:

2017 Pearl Morissette Irrévérence

2000 Eldredge Blue Chip Shiraz

How was the irreverence?  If you ever had the cuvee blu, how would you compare them?

Haven't tried the Cuvée Blu, but the Irrévérence was a very nice wine.  I really enjoy these types of blends.  All about the aromatics.

Thanks Rick!

mangiare posted:

1987 Mondavi Reserve 
2004 Tignanello

Yowza. 

2007 Fattoria Le Pupille Morellino di Scansano Riserva Poggio Valente - really nice with some venison ragu, but we all kept remarking that it wasnt quite up to the la stoppa we had the previous night which is saying a lot as the Poggio Valente is no slouch.

vinoevelo posted:
mangiare posted:

1987 Mondavi Reserve 
2004 Tignanello

Yowza. 

Steve8 and I had the 1970 Faustino in July for our birthday celebrations and it was spectacular!! Good to hear yours showed just as well!

Last night:

NV Damien-Buffet Champagne Brut - a bottle gifted to us by the house when we stayed at Chateau d'Sacy when we were in Champagne in September. (A great place to stay when in Champagne by the way.)  A lovely bottle that I wish we would have opened while we were there - we would have purchased more to ship home.

2015 Gary Farrell Chardonnay Russian River Selection - imagine liquid Werther's in a bottle.  Certainly not my preferred style, but done well nonetheless.

Cossart-Gordon 1930 Solera Sercial Madeira - nice on it's own but not especially great, but then with butternut squash consume w squab ravioli, squab & black truffle - amazing

Cossart Gordon 15 Yr Old Bual Madeira- good but not great

1895 Cossart Bual Madeira - WOTN - really nice.  Not in the class of a 1907 Blandy's but very good

Cossart-Gordon Centenary Madeira Solera Bual 1845 - Very nice but second to the 1895.  

Common characteristics of these Madeira from Cossart-Gordon - very bright acidity and a note of bitter citrus - blend of orange/lemon/grapefruit rind.   Very enjoyable but not the best Madeira. 

bomba503 posted:
seaquam posted:

2015 Samsara Syrah Melville Vineyard, excellent, intense plum and black olive, meaty, savoury, good acidity, needs a few years to soften up but great Syrah character.

Glad to see you connected with Matt

Yeah, had a nice but brief visit with Matt at the new facility in Goleta, which should be finished and open on a couple more weeks. Thanks for the rec!

has lunch in Los Olivos at Wine Merchant where we ordered another Samsara Syrah. I wanted to try and buy their Chardonnay as well, but Samsara tasting room in Los Olivos isn’t open Wednesday’s.

Add Reply

Likes (0)