Thank you to the forum members who encouraged me in the gentle unfolding and spreading of my wine wings. I was most intrigued by the suggestions of Northern Rhone wines, and so this past week I was able to secure a bottle of 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage which I consumed with my fiancé last night.

Two very enthusiastic and vociferous "huzzahs" to the forum members who steered me in this direction. This wine, while very different from my usual fare, was nothing short of an epiphany for me. It was luxuriant, pliant, and possessing a bouquet unlike anything I have experienced. It truly engaged most, if not all, of my senses.

I leave you with this fragment of poetry from Walt Whitman:

Houses and rooms are full of perfumes — the shelves are crowded with perfumes;
I breathe the fragrance myself, and know it and like it;
The distillation would intoxicate me also, but I shall not let it.

The atmosphere is not a perfume — it has no taste of the distillation — it is odorless;
It is for my mouth forever — I am in love with it;
I will go to the bank by the wood, and become undisguised and naked;
I am mad for it to be in contact with me.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
While I did not make the No. Rhone suggested, I'm glad to hear of your experience. The prose is very W&FE -- any relation, truly?


... and every bottle of wine noted is like $300-2000 accompanied by something like a dry aged standing prime rib roast. I would love to secure and consume wine like that on every occasion, positively. Entertaining verbosity!
I will wallow in my 2014 Beckmen Block Six Syrah (solid 93)
quote:
Originally posted by emporanium:
Thank you to the forum members who encouraged me in the gentle unfolding and spreading of my wine wings. I was most intrigued by the suggestions of Northern Rhone wines, and so this past week I was able to secure a bottle of 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage which I consumed with my fiancé last night.
[/i]


Wow! What a way to start exploring Northern Rhone wines- just go right for the big gun. I'd like to know where I can secure some. You should also try some Guigal La Landonne, La Mouline and La Turque- also spectacular.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
While I did not make the No. Rhone suggested, I'm glad to hear of your experience. The prose is very W&FE -- any relation, truly?


... and every bottle of wine noted is like $300-2000 accompanied by something like a dry aged standing prime rib roast. I would love to secure and consume wine like that on every occasion, positively. Entertaining verbosity!
I will wallow in my 2014 Beckmen Block Six Syrah (solid 93)

I apologize if my posts here gave the impression that I was exaggerating or boasting. That was certainly not my intention. The comparisons to the notorious Wine & Food Expert, however, are a little unfair. I have read the posts from the Wine & Food Expert in the past and they are, shall we say, rather fantastical in nature. I looked back at my posts to date (which are admittedly few) and I believe that I have only stated two wines that I have consumed, which I hope is far too limited a sampling for anyone to judge either my sincerity or my wine budget.

I admit that I sometimes have expensive tastes, but I also enjoy many budget-conscious wines. Granted, since I have almost exclusively enjoyed California Cabernet in the past, the cost of the average bottle is likely higher than if I were living, say, in Oregon or Washington state and drinking local fare.

I have been very fortunate financially in life, which is something I neither boast about nor attempt to hide. There is no reason to boast, because it was largely not my own doing but rather that of my family. I am simply the beneficiary of their good fortune. It has allowed me to fully enjoy my passions including wine.

Please understand, however, that I also enjoy and regularly drink wines of a lesser nature than the few I have discussed on this forum. I simply felt, perhaps wrongly, that my "average" wine experiences would not be of great interest to this gathering of oenophiles. As well, I wished to share my unbridled joy at discovering the sensory pleasures of the 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I hope that in the future I am better able to commingle with this fine group.

As at least a few of you, perhaps tongue in cheek, seemed to enjoy my inclusion of Walt Whitman in my last post, I leave you with this from Mssr. Whitman:


Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! Steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
2009 I sodi di s. Niccolo


what did you think JDW?


Loved it. Gave it a 2 hr decant and it was ready to go. We drank it on the cooler side and let it warm up in the glass. The nose was incredible. One of those wines you just want to inhale all night.

Great dark fruit, tobacco, cocao, cedar, earthiness, well integrated tannins, good acidity. Fine finish.

Glad I have a couple more 09's.
2012 Domaine Dujac Bourgogne Blanc

The third bottle I've opened. The first was terrific with a strong matchstick nose that hung in for a few hours.

The second bottle was relatively disjointed and disappointing.

This third bottle was the best yet. Viscous texture, with a palate that was nicely balanced between crisp, acidic lemon/apple and rich, honeyed stone fruit, plus a dollop of well-integrated vanilla.
quote:
Originally posted by emporanium:
I apologize if my posts here gave the impression that I was exaggerating or boasting. That was certainly not my intention. The comparisons to the notorious Wine & Food Expert, however, are a little unfair. I have read the posts from the Wine & Food Expert in the past and they are, shall we say, rather fantastical in nature. I looked back at my posts to date (which are admittedly few) and I believe that I have only stated two wines that I have consumed, which I hope is far too limited a sampling for anyone to judge either my sincerity or my wine budget.

I admit that I sometimes have expensive tastes, but I also enjoy many budget-conscious wines. Granted, since I have almost exclusively enjoyed California Cabernet in the past, the cost of the average bottle is likely higher than if I were living, say, in Oregon or Washington state and drinking local fare.

I have been very fortunate financially in life, which is something I neither boast about nor attempt to hide. There is no reason to boast, because it was largely not my own doing but rather that of my family. I am simply the beneficiary of their good fortune. It has allowed me to fully enjoy my passions including wine.

Please understand, however, that I also enjoy and regularly drink wines of a lesser nature than the few I have discussed on this forum. I simply felt, perhaps wrongly, that my "average" wine experiences would not be of great interest to this gathering of oenophiles. As well, I wished to share my unbridled joy at discovering the sensory pleasures of the 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I hope that in the future I am better able to commingle with this fine group.

As at least a few of you, perhaps tongue in cheek, seemed to enjoy my inclusion of Walt Whitman in my last post, I leave you with this from Mssr. Whitman:


Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! Steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!

I don't know if you're sincere or a troll, although I'd like to believe you're for real. Your sig say "I like wine." The jury's still out on that point, but one thing's for sure: you like words. Lots of 'em. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
1997 Ridge Merlot- truly one of the best merlot I have ever tasted. Just an incredible bottle.
Nice! Ridge does some great things regardless of the grape varietal.


Great stuff, TPE. Was this MB fruit?

And +1...can't recall a single bad bottle from Ridge.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by max:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
1997 Ridge Merlot- truly one of the best merlot I have ever tasted. Just an incredible bottle.
Nice! Ridge does some great things regardless of the grape varietal.


Great stuff, TPE. Was this MB fruit?

And +1...can't recall a single bad bottle from Ridge.


Yes, it's from estate vineyard lots that didn't make the Monte Bello cut. It's what is now designated as "Estate".
1995 Sordo Barolo. The last bottle of the lot and head and shoulders above any previous showings. This barolo finally lived up to it's original hype and was classic barolo. Rose petals and tar on the nose. Beautiful tannins and still fruit. Drink now or hold another 5 years.
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
2009 I sodi di s. Niccolo


what did you think JDW?


Loved it. Gave it a 2 hr decant and it was ready to go. We drank it on the cooler side and let it warm up in the glass. The nose was incredible. One of those wines you just want to inhale all night.

Great dark fruit, tobacco, cocao, cedar, earthiness, well integrated tannins, good acidity. Fine finish.

Glad I have a couple more 09's.


Thanks. I'm a big fan myself.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 2010 Stolpman Roussanne L'Avion

After a few vintages of this one, it has to be one of the better domestic expressions of this varietal. Damn good stuff.


Big fan as well thanks to OTW many years ago. Think I have one '08 left and they keep getting better. The older copain james berry roussanes are also worth checking out, but i still think the stolpman is the better of the two.
2010 Baron de Ley Tres Vinas Blanco Reserva - still going strong. Fat, chewy, viscous white rioja that drinks more like a N. Rhone blend.
mrs. VeV's WOTN
2007 La Stoppa Macchiona - I really enjoy this wine - great value. I think its a barbera/bonarda blend and really has the red fruit with tons of savoury funky notes that scream italian red and demand food. Was universally liked by the friends/family we shared it with.
2007 Fontanafredda Barolo - I think this was a gift at some point, long slow ox lead to tons of cherries, some leather and not much else. It was balanced and clean though, just not that interesting.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by emporanium:
I apologize if my posts here gave the impression that I was exaggerating or boasting. That was certainly not my intention. The comparisons to the notorious Wine & Food Expert, however, are a little unfair. I have read the posts from the Wine & Food Expert in the past and they are, shall we say, rather fantastical in nature. I looked back at my posts to date (which are admittedly few) and I believe that I have only stated two wines that I have consumed, which I hope is far too limited a sampling for anyone to judge either my sincerity or my wine budget.

I admit that I sometimes have expensive tastes, but I also enjoy many budget-conscious wines. Granted, since I have almost exclusively enjoyed California Cabernet in the past, the cost of the average bottle is likely higher than if I were living, say, in Oregon or Washington state and drinking local fare.

I have been very fortunate financially in life, which is something I neither boast about nor attempt to hide. There is no reason to boast, because it was largely not my own doing but rather that of my family. I am simply the beneficiary of their good fortune. It has allowed me to fully enjoy my passions including wine.

Please understand, however, that I also enjoy and regularly drink wines of a lesser nature than the few I have discussed on this forum. I simply felt, perhaps wrongly, that my "average" wine experiences would not be of great interest to this gathering of oenophiles. As well, I wished to share my unbridled joy at discovering the sensory pleasures of the 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage.

Thank you for your time and consideration and I hope that in the future I am better able to commingle with this fine group.

As at least a few of you, perhaps tongue in cheek, seemed to enjoy my inclusion of Walt Whitman in my last post, I leave you with this from Mssr. Whitman:


Have we not stood here like trees in the ground long enough?
Have we not grovell’d here long enough, eating and drinking like mere brutes?
Have we not darken’d and dazed ourselves with books long enough?

Sail forth! Steer for the deep waters only!
Reckless, O soul, exploring, I with thee, and thou with me;
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.

O my brave soul!
O farther, farther sail!
O daring joy, but safe! Are they not all the seas of God?
O farther, farther, farther sail!

I don't know if you're sincere or a troll, although I'd like to believe you're for real. Your sig say "I like wine." The jury's still out on that point, but one thing's for sure: you like words. Lots of 'em. Wink


Too funny. Thinking the same thing. If every post is this long, LOL!

emp, JFWY.
In preparation of my first switchback delivery in a a few years, I popped a 2000 cab.

Very nice typical foley profile and could go for years still. Might of popped a bit too soon. Still one of the best 2000 napa cabs for me. Still holding a single 2000 foley claret, that might not make the end of the year.
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
In preparation of my first switchback delivery in a a few years, I popped a 2000 cab.

Very nice typical foley profile and could go for years still. Might of popped a bit too soon. Still one of the best 2000 napa cabs for me. Still holding a single 2000 foley claret, that might not make the end of the year.


Glad you had a good one. There were a lot of disappointing wines in 2000.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
2014 Sandler Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot
2013 Ermisch Pinot Noir Erendira's Rise
2010 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Cornas Domaine de Saint Pierre
2015 Little Wings Syrah


Great stuff! How's the Little Wings showing? What an awesome project Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
2014 Sandler Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot
2013 Ermisch Pinot Noir Erendira's Rise
2010 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Cornas Domaine de Saint Pierre
2015 Little Wings Syrah


Great stuff! How's the Little Wings showing? What an awesome project Smile


Little Wings was fantastic -
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2001 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2013 Kongsgaard Chardonnay


Really interested in you hss thoughts? Haven't touched any yet.


Last 2001 that I had except for a liter of Sunspot. This was absolutely terrific. It might still get better but it was just great to me. At least a 97.
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2001 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2013 Kongsgaard Chardonnay


Really interested in you hss thoughts? Haven't touched any yet.


Last 2001 that I had except for a liter of Sunspot. This was absolutely terrific. It might still get better but it was just great to me. At least a 97.


How do you think the HSS compares to Sunspot?
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2001 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2013 Kongsgaard Chardonnay


Really interested in you hss thoughts? Haven't touched any yet.




Last 2001 that I had except for a liter of Sunspot. This was absolutely terrific. It might still get better but it was just great to me. At least a 97.


Thoughts on decant time? Thinking of doing a hss vs qc battle in the future. Thinking 01 hss vs. 03 qc at a dinner in las vegas.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
1982 Mouton Rothschild- in its sweet spot, magnificent, 97

I have 2 in the cellar. Methinks it's time to open one. Thanks for the heads up.


That's where I was Dok. I had two. I hope you'll post notes. I got mine at release.
Last night with roasted Sockeye fillets and sauteed mushrooms, 2012 Curly Flat Pinot Noir, lovely clear ruby colour, lots of cherry and berry on the nose and palate, anise, a bit earthy, very good acidity, long rich finish with lots of fruit. I haven't had a lot of Australian Pinot Noirs, but this is one of the best I've tried.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2001 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2013 Kongsgaard Chardonnay


Really interested in you hss thoughts? Haven't touched any yet.


Last 2001 that I had except for a liter of Sunspot. This was absolutely terrific. It might still get better but it was just great to me. At least a 97.


How do you think the HSS compares to Sunspot?


Sorry no help here. I have never had a Sunspot.
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
quote:
Originally posted by vinodude:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2001 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select
2013 Kongsgaard Chardonnay


Really interested in you hss thoughts? Haven't touched any yet.




Last 2001 that I had except for a liter of Sunspot. This was absolutely terrific. It might still get better but it was just great to me. At least a 97.


Thoughts on decant time? Thinking of doing a hss vs qc battle in the future. Thinking 01 hss vs. 03 qc at a dinner in las vegas.


No decant but it was in our glass about 45 minutes before we started drinking it.
With OTW, Ricardo Madiera, VinChanted, Vinojoe...

2016 Fuedo Montina Grillo della Timpa
2011 Biondi Santi Rose
2012 Biondi Santi Rose
1997 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo
1998 Domenico Clerico Per Christina
2001 Paolo Scavino Bric del Fiasc - the clear winner
2005 Gaja Langhe

Not a bad wine in the bunch.
Tonight, another bottle of 2012 Moorooduc Estate Pinot Noir Robinson Vineyard, a very pretty Pinot with a floral/violet nose, but with an intensity that belies its light garnet colour, good ripe cherry fruit, black pepper, some earthiness, with fine tannins outlasted by the fruit on the long finish. Silky and tasty.
77 fonseca (solid cork, very good bottle)
05 napanook (served with a bone in cowboy cute ribeye)
91 dominus in wine loving relative was in town and they are big dominus fans due to my influence on their tastes
07 Velvet Glove over the top shiraz which mellowed a bit
02 craggy range sophia merlot, gimblett gravels hiding deep in the cellar (double deep racking has its benefits/faults) Still had life in it and lost all of the metallic I recall it showing in its early years
1979 Pichon Comtesse - fruit largely faded, probably missed the window by five years

1988 Cos - delicious, fruit still somewhat in evidence, very harmonious

1997 Tig - excellent and drinking well (I was a bit surprised)

2004 Avignonesi Grandi Annate - interesting floral nose, taste underwhelming

2005 Don Melchor - okay, but it showed poorly relative to the rest (doh!)

1990 D'Yquem - lovely
quote:
Originally posted by VinCentric:
2001 Paolo Scavino Bric del Fiasc - the clear winner


Obviously you liked it a lot, but if you have/had more, would you hold?

I have a single serving bottle and a mag. I'm certainly not planning to open the latter anytime soon.
Over the past week:

NV Ruinart Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut
2015 Kistler Chardonnay Sonoma Mountain
2002 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley
2015 Turley The White Coat
2016 Inman Family Pinot Noir
2014 Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill
2011 Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
2007 Stefania


Uh... could you be a little more specific? Unless P & S only produced one wine in 2007, in which case I offer my apologies. Razz

PH


It’s made from grapes. -)
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Over the past week:

NV Ruinart Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut
2015 Kistler Chardonnay Sonoma Mountain
2002 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley
2015 Turley The White Coat
2016 Inman Family Pinot Noir
2014 Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill
2011 Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers


How did the Silver Oak show? I have a few bottles of this one
quote:
Originally posted by ucladave:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
Over the past week:

NV Ruinart Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut
2015 Kistler Chardonnay Sonoma Mountain
2002 Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley
2015 Turley The White Coat
2016 Inman Family Pinot Noir
2014 Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill
2011 Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers


How did the Silver Oak show? I have a few bottles of this one


I'm not a huge Silver Oak fan, but I thought this was very nice. This was brought to dinner by a friend and it was nice to try a bottle with 15 years on it. I was 90 on it, but everyone else at the table liked it a bit more than I did.
Took the family plus boy/girlfriends out to Scaramouche to celebrate our daughter's birthday:

1992 Dom Perignon
1992 Optima Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley
2007 Outpost True Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Both '92 wines were in good form. I was a bit worried about the Optima but it showed just a small amount of bricking around the rim and tasted very good.

Scaramouche is expensive but I have to say it really delivers great value. Food, service and atmosphere were all superb!
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
With VinT

2012 Domaine Dujac Bourgogne Blanc
2006 Louis Jadot Morgon Côte du Py


Lovely.

I was thinking that you should have been there.

Yes. We needed another person with whom we could split the bread soaked in pig blood.
2012 Carte Blanche (Nicholas Allen wines) cabernet

I've seen these around a few LWS lately under $100 ($125 release) and wanted to try one at the wine bar with my Friday guys -we started a night early as no one had to work today. I've had prior vintages with another friend whose been on the list for years but have never seen it at retail prior. It looks like they might be clearing some back inventory.

Keep your eyes open for it particularly if you see well under $100 at some point. It's a beautifully crafted wine by Luc Morlet with great complexity and firm tannins suitable for aging. Still in its youth it should be stunning after another 5 to 10 years of cellaring.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

I'm not a huge Silver Oak fan, but I thought this was very nice. This was brought to dinner by a friend and it was nice to try a bottle with 15 years on it. I was 90 on it, but everyone else at the table liked it a bit more than I did.


Thanks. I was concerned that it may be heading downhill
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
2012 Carte Blanche (Nicholas Allen wines) cabernet

I've seen these around a few LWS lately under $100 ($125 release) and wanted to try one at the wine bar with my Friday guys -we started a night early as no one had to work today. I've had prior vintages with another friend whose been on the list for years but have never seen it at retail prior. It looks like they might be clearing some back inventory.

Keep your eyes open for it particularly if you see well under $100 at some point. It's a beautifully crafted wine by Luc Morlet with great complexity and firm tannins suitable for aging. Still in its youth it should be stunning after another 5 to 10 years of cellaring.


Carte Blanche again. Just as good. Bringing a few home to bury in the back of the cellar.
quote:
Originally posted by Azwiese:
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
2015 Owen Roe Ex Umbris


I’ve always dug this wine. Super solid for the price.

And stop drinking wine without us. We need a Spo sighting to make sure all is right in this world.


Hey Azweise, if you have something going on let me know. Also I should start getting some things going and stop being such a recluse. Either way I'll talk to you soon.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Yes. We needed another person with whom we could split the bread soaked in pig blood.


Intrigued. Please elaborate....


Boudin?

La Palette's house made black pudding... so yes, basically boudin Noir. But La Palette's dish is quite grainy, since they use their own grainy bread as the base.
NV Ruppert-Leroy, Champagne, Fosse Grely

I had never had this wine before. Grower Champagne from 50% pinot noir and 50% chardonnay. Delicious but it lost its effervescence a little too quickly in the glass. I'm going to attribute that too a poor cork, which flew off about 10 seconds after I removed the wire (and my hand), putting a frickn' dent in our kitchen ceiling.

2015 Famille Perrin, CdR, Coudoulet de Beaucastel

Really liked this bottle. Killer QPR. I should have tried this sooner as there are none left around here now.

2015 Domaine Rijckaert, Cotes du Jura, Les Sarres, Savagnin

Fuzzy (as Gman would say) and delicious. Big Grin

2009 CVNE, Rioja, Vina Real, Gran Reserva

Another excellent wine at a reasonable price. Went really well with duck confit, braised red cabbage and duck fat/rosemary roasted potatoes.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Yes. We needed another person with whom we could split the bread soaked in pig blood.


Intrigued. Please elaborate....


Boudin?

La Palette's house made black pudding... so yes, basically boudin Noir. But La Palette's dish is quite grainy, since they use their own grainy bread as the base.


Sounds lovely. Had I known I would have popped in as I walked by last night on my way to the horseshoe.
1998 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers. Last of three. Deep orange throughout, with dried cherries and some prunes on the nose. Faint earthy cherry notes on the palate but they're being overwhelmed by orange pekoe tea. Still enjoyable but definitely drink 'em if you've got 'em.
Cleaning out eavestroughs in -9C weather is no fun, but drinking good wine is:

2009 Terredora Fiano di Avellino Campore
2007 Saint Damien Gigondas Les Souteyrades
2007 Les Pallières Les Racines Gigondas
2005 Parent Pommard Les Chanlins
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
Cleaning out eavestroughs in -9C weather is no fun, but drinking good wine is:

2009 Terredora Fiano di Avellino Campore
2007 Saint Damien Gigondas Les Souteyrades
2007 Les Pallières Les Racines Gigondas
2005 Parent Pommard Les Chanlins


How was the Chanlins? I'm down to my last bottle on that one.
Last night at a non-WS friend's home

NV Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - a terrific value with crisp, tart strawberry and leesy richness

1988 Cos D'Estournal - hardly any bricking, great legs, vibrant acidity, lively fruit, with prominent green tobacco leaf
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Last night at a non-WS friend's home

NV Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - a terrific value with crisp, tart strawberry and leesy richness

1988 Cos D'Estournal - hardly any bricking, great legs, vibrant acidity, lively fruit, with prominent green tobacco leaf


Nice! Glad to hear about the PP Brut Rose; I haven't opened any yet.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:


1988 Cos D'Estournal - hardly any bricking, great legs, vibrant acidity, lively fruit, with prominent green tobacco leaf


Thanks for the note. I have thought about opening one of these so many times this year but for some reason have not.
2012 Ch des Jacques Moulin-a-Vent Clos du Grand Carquelin. Beautiful. Started off brighter and fresher than the 2012 Rochegres; red fruit, tobacco, forest floor. Bit of tartness on the palate with grippy tannin and bright acidity. Then it opens up and puts on weight with darker berries showing with great depth & balance. Drinking beyond expectation when first tasted on release.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
Last night at Market in Del Mar:

- 2003 Château Cos d'Estournel

Stunning, as expected. This is one of my all-time favorites.


How is it showing? Haven't had since about 2007 and it was big but Bordeaux-like back then (only opened because cork was raised when delivered, but it ended up being entirely sound). I think I have 4 left, is it worth opening one to test it out?
2010 Keplinger Caldera
2011 Keplinger Caldera
2010 Keplinger Basilisk
2011 Keplinger Basilisk
2010 Keplinger Sumo
2011 Keplinger Sumo

With my work wine group. Wanted to show them how wines can vary in vintages. All wines showed well, but my two favorites were the 2011 Caldera and 2010 Basilisk.
quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
Last night at Market in Del Mar:

- 2003 Château Cos d'Estournel

Stunning, as expected. This is one of my all-time favorites.


How is it showing? Haven't had since about 2007 and it was big but Bordeaux-like back then (only opened because cork was raised when delivered, but it ended up being entirely sound). I think I have 4 left, is it worth opening one to test it out?


This is a near perfect wine for my palate. It's a big one, but seamlessly integrated. If you're sitting on four, I would go ahead and pop one. Give it at least 90 min. of air.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
With KL, Mike K, Chris S, and Dave S:
1978 ? Gran Riserva Cosecha
1992 Colgin Herb Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Henschke Hill of Grace Shiraz
1999 Delas La Landonne Cote Rotie
2004 SQN Ode to E Syrah
2007 The Treat Cabernet Sauvignon


Well done, gents! Any standouts?
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
With KL, Mike K, Chris S, and Dave S:
1978 Castillo Ygay Gran Riserva Cosecha
1992 Colgin Herb Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Henschke Hill of Grace Shiraz
1999 Delas La Landonne Cote Rotie
2004 SQN Ode to E Syrah
2007 The Treat Cabernet Sauvignon


Well done, gents! Any standouts?

I hate to sound cliche, but all were standouts in their own way. I would love to have tried the Rioja again at the end of the evening, but my palate was shot by then. It was very much alive though - bright red fruit with dried herbs.

Of the 3 wines with the highest price tags, I will purchase the Hill of Grace again if the opportunity presented itself. It was the most complex for me and evolved in a very good way over the course of the evening. There was a lot of acid with the initial glass, but it eventually gave way to raspberries, potpourri, mint and a nice sweet finish. The last glass was the best.

The SQN was unmistakably SQN - espresso, dark chocolate and vanilla on the nose and palate. Just a slutty wine and great for a one-night stand. The Colgin had a very interesting nose (KL described it as a newly opened, cheap plastic toy). The palate was fairly straight forward for me. I went back to it a few times to see if it would evolve into something better that would justify the price.

The Delas La Landonne was probably the best deal of them all (picked up at K&L auctions at $130 all in). I really like this wine, and it was in a great place. Red meat, iron, ad forest floor and dried blueberries on the nose. Tannins were fully integrated. Plums and blackberries on the palate. It would be interesting to drink this along side Guigal and Rostaing versions.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
2013 Terrazze dell'Etna Etna Carusu


I tried this as well and was not impressed for the $. Definitely in the style i enjoy but was lacking anything extra

I saved a third of a bottle and it had put on some weight the second night. I agree about the lack of "extras", but my expectations were pretty low. All in all, I still think "serviceable" is about the right word for it. It did the job.
2014 andremily
2007 ridge Montebello
2000 troplong mondot

All three wines have a lovely beautiful nose across all three different profiles of wines. The andremily is lovely spiced Kirsch with plums, the ridge is like a wet tobacco cigar but showing nice red fruit and the troplong is forest floors with hints of pinesand crushed berries.

I'd highly recommend folks to do this tasting just to smell the three types of beautifully made wines.

Start w the troplong and end w the andremily
2004 chat montelena estates
2006 cakebread benchland select

The 2004 montelena is hitting all cylinders right now. Silky smooth resolved tannins backed some a lovely cherry compote smelling of crushed red berries.

The 06 cakebread was plums and tobacco with a lush mouthfeel that really coats the palate
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?


I dont know about the Napa, but i've had two stunning bottles of the '83 HM, and one that was godawful. If it was well stored, no seepage etc i'd be inclined to raise your expectations a touch.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.

Cool


I want more of these. Lots more of these. Like now.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?


I dont know about the Napa, but i've had two stunning bottles of the '83 HM, and one that was godawful. If it was well stored, no seepage etc i'd be inclined to raise your expectations a touch.


Thx! Bottle looks cosmetically great with no seepage and fill well above the shoulders. May stand it up for next Sunday night Eagles V. Cowgirls
2015 19 Crimes Cabernet Sauvignon

It was gifted to me about a year ago. Tried to return it to the KGBO but it turned out it was bought in the US so not only was the barcode different, the image on the label was different.

It's been in my cellar since then and I was haunted by it every time I'd go to grab something. Finally decided to put it out of its misery last night.

Verdict: it's a pretty sh!tty wine.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
2015 19 Crimes Cabernet Sauvignon

It was gifted to me about a year ago. Tried to return it to the KGBO but it turned out it was bought in the US so not only was the barcode different, the image on the label was different.

It's been in my cellar since then and I was haunted by it every time I'd go to grab something. Finally decided to put it out of its misery last night.

Verdict: it's a pretty sh!tty wine.

I don’t drink the same wines as you as often as I’d like. Unfortunately I tried one of these this year for the same reason. And same verdict.
Last few weeks

82 Chateau Margaux
08 DRC Echezeaux
02 Bernard Morey Chassagne Montrachet
07 Bertani Amarone
99 Cameron Pinot Noir
00 BV Georges de Latour Cab
01 Renato Corino Barolo Vecchie Vigne
05 Kamen Cab
05 Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroie
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Last few weeks

82 Chateau Margaux
08 DRC Echezeaux
02 Bernard Morey Chassagne Montrachet
07 Bertani Amarone
99 Cameron Pinot Noir
00 BV Georges de Latour Cab
01 Renato Corino Barolo Vecchie Vigne
05 Kamen Cab
05 Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroie


how was the 82' margaux?
Washing 48 wine glasses and drinking 2012 Carpineta Fontalpino Do Ut Des Toscana IGT.

BTW does anyone know the percentage breakdown of the varietals in this?

I could tell fairly quickly that it was Sangiovese / Cab Sauv / Merlot but I can't find more info than that. The Sangio was obvious on the nose, and the Cab/Merlot came through on the palate.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Washing 48 wine glasses and drinking 2012 Carpineta Fontalpino Do Ut Des Toscana IGT.

BTW does anyone know the percentage breakdown of the varietals in this?

I could tell fairly quickly that it was Sangiovese / Cab Sauv / Merlot but I can't find more info than that. The Sangio was obvious on the nose, and the Cab/Merlot came through on the palate.


34% Merlot, 33% Sangiovese & 33 Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.grapebrandswest.com...uper_tuscan_2012.pdf

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×