Thank you to the forum members who encouraged me in the gentle unfolding and spreading of my wine wings. I was most intrigued by the suggestions of Northern Rhone wines, and so this past week I was able to secure a bottle of 1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage which I consumed with my fiancé last night.

Two very enthusiastic and vociferous "huzzahs" to the forum members who steered me in this direction. This wine, while very different from my usual fare, was nothing short of an epiphany for me. It was luxuriant, pliant, and possessing a bouquet unlike anything I have experienced. It truly engaged most, if not all, of my senses.

I leave you with this fragment of poetry from Walt Whitman:

Houses and rooms are full of perfumes — the shelves are crowded with perfumes;
I breathe the fragrance myself, and know it and like it;
The distillation would intoxicate me also, but I shall not let it.

The atmosphere is not a perfume — it has no taste of the distillation — it is odorless;
It is for my mouth forever — I am in love with it;
I will go to the bank by the wood, and become undisguised and naked;
I am mad for it to be in contact with me.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
While I did not make the No. Rhone suggested, I'm glad to hear of your experience. The prose is very W&FE -- any relation, truly?

... and every bottle of wine noted is like $300-2000 accompanied by something like a dry aged standing prime rib roast. I would love to secure and consume wine like that on every occasion, positively. Entertaining verbosity!
I will wallow in my 2014 Beckmen Block Six Syrah (solid 93)

Add Reply

Likes (0)