quote:
Originally posted by Fowler52:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Washing 48 wine glasses and drinking 2012 Carpineta Fontalpino Do Ut Des Toscana IGT.

BTW does anyone know the percentage breakdown of the varietals in this?

I could tell fairly quickly that it was Sangiovese / Cab Sauv / Merlot but I can't find more info than that. The Sangio was obvious on the nose, and the Cab/Merlot came through on the palate.


34% Merlot, 33% Sangiovese & 33 Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.grapebrandswest.com...uper_tuscan_2012.pdf

Thanks Fowler52!
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Last few weeks

82 Chateau Margaux
08 DRC Echezeaux
02 Bernard Morey Chassagne Montrachet
07 Bertani Amarone
99 Cameron Pinot Noir
00 BV Georges de Latour Cab
01 Renato Corino Barolo Vecchie Vigne
05 Kamen Cab
05 Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroie


how was the 82' margaux?


Stunning and full of life. Decanted for one hr
2016 Pearl Morrisette Cuvee Blu
2014 Pearl Morrisette Cab Franc Cuvee Jaun
2014 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses
2015 Stanners Vineyard Cab Franc PEC

When I first opened the 3 cab franc and poured off a bit to help them breathe I though the two ON wines were blown away by the Raffault, whose rustic charm shone through. However, 2-3 hours later the Stanner's was on fire and was easily preferred to the chinon by most of the people trying them. The PM Jaun blossomed into 'wow' wine and really was in a class of its own. Not sure the qpr is there but it really is an outstanding wine.
Not a bad Friday night...

2001 Rudd Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Oakville
2001 Gemstone G
2003 Stags Leap SLV
2006 Quilceda Creek Estate
2007 Cardinale
2009 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder
2010 Myriad Beckstoffer Dr. Crane
2010 Continuum
2012 Maybach Materium
Enjoyed the following this past couple of days.

2003 Haut Brion
2001 Margaux
2011 Bond Pluribus
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Enjoyed the following this past couple of days.

2003 Haut Brion
2001 Margaux
2011 Bond Pluribus
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

“One of these things things is not like the others” just popped into my head. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Enjoyed the following this past couple of days.

2003 Haut Brion
2001 Margaux
2011 Bond Pluribus
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

How was the 2001 Margaux. I have a horizontal of 2001 Firsts and deciding when to open. Is it an early vintage or should I hold?
2007 Bevan Cellars Showket vineyard John's Cuvee

Needed a decant and will wait a few years for the next one.
Quite good after an hour.
Decent little night. Each from magnum and each outstanding.

1982 Beychevelle - ready to go.
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain - still youthful.
The first of what I hope will be many Chez Sunnylea evenings. This time with the Terrific Ten (well actually the Terrible Nine tonight): sunnylea57, VinT, vinoevelo, Rob Sutherland, and mangiare + SOs (except mangiare's SO, unfortunately).

Wine lineup:

NV Krug Champagne Grande Cuvee (bottled late 90s)
2000 Duval-Leroy Femme de Champagne
2010 Jean-Francoise Ganevat Cote du Jura Les Chamois du Paradis
2013 Chateau Simone Blanc
1985 Solaia
1999 Fuligni
1993 Guigal La Turque
1996 Chapoutier l’Ermite
1996 Pichon Longeuville Comtesse de Lalande
2015 Little Wings Syrah Antle
1997 Karl Lawrence Cab Sauv
2000 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl

Not a single dud.
Outstanding night. That la turque was my wotn, but it was close. Can't recall a night so many wines all showed so well.
On Friday night with Mimik

2016 Astrolabe, Sauvignon Blanc, Province
2005 Pecchenino, Barolo, San Guiseppe
2007 Isole e Olena, IGT, Cepparello
2010 Chateau Sociando-Mallet, Haut-Medoc
2016 La Stoppa, Malvasia, Dolce Frizzante

And last night

2016 Catherine & Pierre Breton, Chinon, Épaulé Jeté, Beaumont

The Cepparello was definitely the head of class of the above. Outstanding wine. I have another bottle which I may hold for a couple of years, but I doubt it will get any better than it already is.

The Beaumont Chinon was a very interesting wine. Initially light and fruity it went well with some roasted salmon, but later on it became dark, brooding and more complex. I'm going to pick up some more and let them sleep to see what happens to this.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Enjoyed the following the past couple of days.

2003 Haut Brion
2001 Margaux
2011 Bond Pluribus
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

How was the 2001 Margaux. I have a horizontal of 2001 Firsts and deciding when to open. Is it an early vintage or should I hold?


Based on this bottle I would hold a little longer. Showed well but I think more time would be beneficial.
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Enjoyed the following the past couple of days.

2003 Haut Brion
2001 Margaux
2011 Bond Pluribus
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne

“One of these things things is not like the others” just popped into my head. Wink


Everyone ordered from the list, and our host does live in California. Wink
2015 Tablas Creek Patelin de Tablas Blanc
2012 Bethel Heights Pinot Noir Eola - Amity Hills
NV Philipponnat Champagne Royale Réserve Brut
Forgot I also had the

2012 Vina Montes, Syrah, Alpha

Just because I forgot I had it on Thursday night should not be misconstrued as a negative. This is a killer QPR in my book. In almost all vintages too.
With sarbuze and thirsty man last night:
2002 Bollinger RD
? Muscadet
2005 Soldera Brunello Riserva
1995 Azienda Bricco Roche (Ceretto) Barolo Brunate
2011 Marcel Juge Cornas
1999 Rostaing Côte Blonde Côte Rotie
1988 Leoville Barton
2003 Palmer

And several rounds of Sazeracs Eek
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
With sarbuze and thirsty man last night:
2002 Bollinger RD
? Muscadet
2005 Soldera Brunello Riserva
1995 Azienda Bricco Roche (Ceretto) Barolo Brunate
2011 Marcel Juge Cornas
1999 Rostaing Côte Blonde Côte Rotie
1988 Leoville Barton
2003 Palmer

And several rounds of Sazeracs Eek


guess it is the winter time!
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Forgot I also had the

2012 Vina Montes, Syrah, Alpha

Just because I forgot I had it on Thursday night should not be misconstrued as a negative. This is a killer QPR in my book. In almost all vintages too.


Agreed. Chile makes excellent Syrah.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?


I dont know about the Napa, but i've had two stunning bottles of the '83 HM, and one that was godawful. If it was well stored, no seepage etc i'd be inclined to raise your expectations a touch.


Thx! Bottle looks cosmetically great with no seepage and fill well above the shoulders. May stand it up for next Sunday night Eagles V. Cowgirls


The bottle showed extremely well particularly after an hour and even better after two.
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?


I dont know about the Napa, but i've had two stunning bottles of the '83 HM, and one that was godawful. If it was well stored, no seepage etc i'd be inclined to raise your expectations a touch.


Thx! Bottle looks cosmetically great with no seepage and fill well above the shoulders. May stand it up for next Sunday night Eagles V. Cowgirls


The bottle showed extremely well particularly after an hour and even better after two.


Good to hear. Thanks bomba.
On a different note - a dear friend back from a few years of UN peacekeeping in South Sudan came over with a bottle of 2014 Rift Valley Syrah from Ethiopia. Opened on Friday It was all paint thinner and set aside. Tonight it could easily pass for a good cote du rhone, typical dark fruit profile, some pepper and mocha, and some animale. Pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Better than a lot of Ontario syrah. Not sure I could seek it out if I wanted to, but fun to try. No idea on the qpr - the sticker reads '192.00' but I have no idea what country/currency it was bought in.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
On a different note - a dear friend back from a few years of UN peacekeeping in South Sudan came over with a bottle of 2014 Rift Valley Syrah from Ethiopia. Opened on Friday It was all paint thinner and set aside. Tonight it could easily pass for a good cote du rhone, typical dark fruit profile, some pepper and mocha, and some animale. Pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Better than a lot of Ontario syrah. Not sure I could seek it out if I wanted to, but fun to try. No idea on the qpr - the sticker reads '192.00' but I have no idea what country/currency it was bought in.

Enough "X-factor" to be your 2018 WOTY vote? Big Grin
Until I figure out what '192.00' is, and the case production I can't accurately figure out my x-factor. Until then, i'm 106.4 points on it.
- 2006 Bodegas Muga Rioja Gran Reserva Prado Enea

Like the little dude in "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out," this one punches well beyond its weight. Incredible juice.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- 2006 Bodegas Muga Rioja Gran Reserva Prado Enea

Like the little dude in "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out," this one punches well beyond its weight. Incredible juice.

Have you had the 2005 and if so, would it be as approachable as the '06 is now?
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
On a different note - a dear friend back from a few years of UN peacekeeping in South Sudan came over with a bottle of 2014 Rift Valley Syrah from Ethiopia. Opened on Friday It was all paint thinner and set aside. Tonight it could easily pass for a good cote du rhone, typical dark fruit profile, some pepper and mocha, and some animale. Pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Better than a lot of Ontario syrah. Not sure I could seek it out if I wanted to, but fun to try. No idea on the qpr - the sticker reads '192.00' but I have no idea what country/currency it was bought in.

Vietnamese Dong?
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
2014 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Renatus


Checked your CT note and glad to see it showed well. I passed on this but may add a few bottles next go round.
2013 caymus special select. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised at this wine.

It had the profile of more expensive cults, a lovely mocha and sweet lush tannins a lush full mouthfeel and a lingering hazlelnut finish
2007 Altesino Brunello Riserva, still young, vibrant and powerful but very smooth with no tannins. This will be really nice in 5 years.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
2013 caymus special select. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised at this wine.

It had the profile of more expensive cults, a lovely mocha and sweet lush tannins a lush full mouthfeel and a lingering hazlelnut finish


Yup had it a dozen times last year and didn't want to like it each time. Tried to dismiss it. It's Not the yellow label. Every time we loved it. Blinded probably would like it even more. Not a well aged Bordeaux. It's a happy wine
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
2013 caymus special select. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised at this wine.

It had the profile of more expensive cults, a lovely mocha and sweet lush tannins a lush full mouthfeel and a lingering hazlelnut finish


Yup had it a dozen times last year and didn't want to like it each time. Tried to dismiss it. It's Not the yellow label. Every time we loved it. Blinded probably would like it even more. Not a well aged Bordeaux. It's a happy wine


geez i didnt even write english. the abv must have snuck up on me!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1998 Pol Roger Winston Churchill
2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2001 Solaia
1991 Forman Cabernet

Bro, how was the Solaia? I have a couple in the cellar.
With Mangiare (who we need to thank for getting us in), Vinoevelo, and a friend of Mangiare's we went to a pop-up, one night dinner put on by the chefs of London's Clove Club (ranked 26th best restaurant in the world last year) at Grey Gardens in Toronto.

1995 Heidsieck BdM
NV Jacques Selosse Initial (2006 disgorgement)
1998 Müller-Catoir Mußbacher Eselshaut Rieslaner Spätlese trocken
1999 Produttori Moccagatta
1989 Leoville Las Cases
Nice W&A!

Last night with RobS, vinoevelo and a buddy at the Clove Club pop-up at Grey's Gardens.

1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires - started with a prominent sulfur note that blew off and turned into something reminiscent of a grand cru burg

NV Selosse Initial (disgorged 2006) - initially fantastic but faded quickly

1998 Muller-Catoir Haardter Muskateller Trocken
1999 Produttori del Barbaresco Moccagatta - gorgeous, in a great place. No rush.
1989 Leoville Las Cases - drank much better than previous bottles. Ready and delicious.

Overall a fantastic food and wine night. I thought some of the dishes were memorable and executed with precision while others were duds and just weird.
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
1998 Pol Roger Winston Churchill
2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2001 Solaia
1991 Forman Cabernet

Bro, how was the Solaia? I have a couple in the cellar.


L, just now coming into its zone I think. We gave it about 3 hours I think. If anyone has only one I would hold for its 20th birthday, but if holding multiple, I say enjoy the evolution.

I think this vintage is on par with their 1999.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
With Mangiare (who we need to thank for getting us in), Vinoevelo, and a friend of Mangiare's we went to a pop-up, one night dinner put on by the chefs of London's Clove Club (ranked 26th best restaurant in the world last year) at Grey Gardens in Toronto.

1995 Heidsieck BdM
NV Jacques Selosse Initial (2006 disgorgement)
1998 Müller-Catoir Mußbacher Eselshaut Rieslaner Spätlese trocken
1999 Produttori Moccagatta
1989 Leoville Las Cases


Well done, gentlemen.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Nice W&A!

Last night with RobS, vinoevelo and a buddy at the Clove Club pop-up at Grey's Gardens.

1995 Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires - started with a prominent sulfur note that blew off and turned into something reminiscent of a grand cru burg

NV Selosse Initial (disgorged 2006) - initially fantastic but faded quickly

1998 Muller-Catoir Haardter Muskateller Trocken
1999 Produttori del Barbaresco Moccagatta - gorgeous, in a great place. No rush.
1989 Leoville Las Cases - drank much better than previous bottles. Ready and delicious.

Overall a fantastic food and wine night. I thought some of the dishes were memorable and executed with precision while others were duds and just weird.

I saw the menu and on paper it looked awesome. Surprised there were duds/weird dishes given the pedigree of the two chefs. Still, it sounds like a it was a one-of-a-kind, never-to-be-repeated evening.
2015 Mas Igneus, Priorat, Barranc dels Closos, White

Very good, but just not what it used to be several vintages ago. Tasted blind I'm not even sure I would have guessed it was Grenache Blanc.
With a classic Thanksgiving menu:

NV Tattinger Brut La Franciase
NV Louis Roederer Brut Permier
2006 Domaine Chandon Pinot Noir (Carneros). A great showing!
2004 Vignamaggio Chianti Classico
1998 Château Canon-la-Gaffelière St. Emilion
1995 Château d'Armailhac Pauillac

The Canon-la-Gaffelière was much better.

J3
Thanksgiving wines:

NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Grand Cellier Rubis
NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Grand Cellier - Vilmart has taken over for Cédric Bouchard as the house champagne based on price and availability in my market. Both of these showed great with the Rubis being the best with the food. Rose and traditional thanksgiving food is a great match IMO.

2011 Littorai Chardonnay Mays Canyon - Magnum that I bought on a visit to Littorai back in 2012. This was in a great spot and offered plenty of ripe citrus fruit and a crisp finish that I love about Ted’s wines. A fine pairing and a fun wine to drink slow while watching kids and cousins play. Happy thanksgiving everyone.
Last few days

96 Krug
03 Leoville Barton
09 Rinaldi Barolo Brunate-Le Coste
97 GAJA Conteisa
01 E Macchiole Paleo. Wow! what a nice wine 100% Cab Franc that year I was told
06 Jerome Chezeaux Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru
12 Mollydooker Shiraz Carnival of Love at a friends for Thanksgiving dinner
A great evening yesterday with Machine, doktap, yuka and others.

Laherte Freres Brut
La Closerie Extra Brut
2008 Paul Pernot Batard Montrachet
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2013 Tua Rita Syrah
1990 Cos D' Estournel
1986 Chateau Lagrange
2004 Ornellaia
1990 Campgiovanni BdM
2003 Gunderloch Auslese
2006 Brunel Les Cailloux Cdp Blanc
Nicely done A & team!


NV Hush Heath Estate Balfour 1503
2005 Detert Family Vineyards Cabernet Franc Oakville

Took a flyer on a bottle of the UK sparkler. It wasn’t bad - but not particularly good either. A little yeast, some lemon and ripe apple, but it was all too simple and sweet. Pass.

The Detert was corked. But the wine beneath it was still so powerful and tasty it almost overrode the damp cardboard. Almost. I drank a large glass. Doubt I’ll finish the rest.
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
La Closerie Extra Brut


I'm assuming this was Les Beguines as I don't believe he makes any other EB. How was it and did you (or any of the others) happen to notice the LC number on the bottle?
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
La Closerie Extra Brut


I'm assuming this was Les Beguines as I don't believe he makes any other EB. How was it and did you (or any of the others) happen to notice the LC number on the bottle?


Yes youre right, and the LC number was 14.

I really enjoyed it. Potent earthy, brioche nose. Crisp apple on the palate, long finish, great acidity.

I think most people really liked it as well.
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
La Closerie Extra Brut


I'm assuming this was Les Beguines as I don't believe he makes any other EB. How was it and did you (or any of the others) happen to notice the LC number on the bottle?


Yes youre right, and the LC number was 14.

I really enjoyed it. Potent earthy, brioche nose. Crisp apple on the palate, long finish, great acidity.

I think most people really liked it as well.


Thanks. That's the same bottling I have.
2015 Stanners Chardonnay Lincoln Lakeshore
2016 Stanners Pinot Gris Cuivre
2010 Jean Bourdy Cotes du Jura Blanc
2014 Jean Foillard Morgon Cote du Puy
2006 Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici
1998 Dehlinger Syrah
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
A great evening yesterday with Machine, doktap, yuka and others.

Laherte Freres Brut
La Closerie Extra Brut
2008 Paul Pernot Batard Montrachet
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2013 Tua Rita Syrah
1990 Cos D' Estournel
1986 Chateau Lagrange
2004 Ornellaia
1990 Campgiovanni BdM
2003 Gunderloch Auslese
2006 Brunel Les Cailloux Cdp Blanc


very nice gents.
2013 Etienne Calsac Clos des Maladries Grand Cru Extra Brut

2012 Domaine des Croix Corton Charlemagne

2010 Domaine Arnaud Ente La Seve Meursault

2010 Domaine Arnaud Ente Ambres Meursault
2003 D'Arenberg Laughing Magpie. Funny isn't it how your last bottle almost always seems to have been the best. Fortunately, have several left from other vintages.
2002 Pol Roger Vintage Brut (Extra Cuvee de Reserve)

With a major feast of Indian food. Very good Champagne - on the richer, yeastier, slightly sweeter end of the scale - but a low or zero dosage Champagne might have been a better pairing.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
2002 Pol Roger Vintage Brut (Extra Cuvee de Reserve)

but a low or zero dosage Champagne might have been a better pairing.


That was my first thought.
Just got back from 8 days in Monforte d'Alba, Piemonte (E&O E):

Franco Conterno visit
2015 Franco Conterno Barbera
2015 Franco Conterno Langhe Nebbiolo Cascina Sciulun
2015 Franco Conterno Langhe Rosso Sciulun
2013 Franco Conterno Barolo Pietrin - great QPR
2012 Franco Conterno Barolo Panerole
2006 Franco Conterno Bussia Muni Riserva (4yrs in botti) - Very good
2008 Franco Conterno Barolo Riserva Sette7anni (7 yrs in botti) - Excellent
2009 Franco Conterno Barolo Chinato - yum

With local snacks back at our apartment:
1982 Produttori Barbaresco - drinkable but well past prime.

Dinner: da'Felicin, Monforte d'Alba
2011 Aldo Conterno Barolo
2013 Edoardo Sobrino Barbera d'Alba

Sottimano visit w Andrea Sottimano
2015 Sottimano Barbera
1997 Sottimano Barbera - great
2015 Sottimano Langhe Nebbiolo - young vines from Basarin cru vineyard
2015 Sottimano Barbera Basarin
2013 Sottimano Barbaresco Pajore
2014 Sottimano Barbaresco Pajore
2015 Sottimano Barbaresco Pajore
2010 Sottimano Barbaresco Pajore - wow
2010 Sottimano Barbaresco Riserva - blend of Cotta, Pajore, 60 days maceration, 3 yrs on lees, yum
2010 Sottimano Barbaresco Curra

Lunch - Degusto Enoteca, Neive
2016 Castello di Neive Monteberlotto Langhe Arneis - the first of many bottles of Arneis

Luigi Oddero visit w Francesco
2014 Luigi Oddero Langhe Nebbiolo
2014 Luigi Oddero Barbaresco Rombone
2013 Luigi Oddero Barolo
2011 Luigi Oddero Barolo Rocche Rivera - drinking nicely now
2011 Luigi Oddero Barolo Vigna Rionda - bought 3 bottles...

Dinner - Centro Storico, Serralunga
2012 Cappellano Barolo Rupestris - wonderful

Night cap Grappa:
Berta Piasi & Berta Monpra. Both excellent. The Piasi had more floral notes and seemed smoother, which I preferred.

Chiara Boschis visit
2014 Chiara Boschis Barolo Cannubi
2014 Chiara Boschis Barolo Via Nuova
2014 Chiara Boschis Barolo Mosconi

Lunch - Republic di Perno,
2016 Giovani Almondo Roero Arneis Bricco della Ciliegie

Giuseppe Rinaldi visit
2016 Giuseppe Rinaldi Dolcetto
2016 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barbera
2016 Giuseppe Rinaldi Freisia
2014 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo Tre Tine

Dinner - Locando dell'Arco, Cissone
2006 Cappellano Barolo Rupestris
2008 Cappellano Barolo Rupestris
Love this wine
2008 Silvano Bolmida Barolo Bussia Riserva - great

Schiavenza visit
2016 Schiavenza Dolcetto - great pizza wine
2016 Schiavenza Barbera
2015 Schiavenza Barbera Botti Grandi
2013 Schiavenza Barolo Serralunga - classic Barolo nose
2013 Schiavenza Barolo Broglio - again on the nose
2013 Schiavenza Barolo Cerretta
Schiavenza Barolo Chinato - Christmas in a glass - bought 3

Lunch - Albergo Alberto Italia, Serralunga - on terrace, short sleeves, view of the Langhe and the Alps and Mt Viso w 5 course Piemonte tasting menu - best lunch
2005 Luigi Oddero Barolo Vigna Rionda - amazing. Drinking beautifully now.

Bartolo Mascarello visit
2014 Bartolo Mascarello Langhe Nebbiolo
2013 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo

Dinner - La Coccinella, Serravalle
2013 Giacomo Fenocchio Barolo Bussia
2013 Aldo Conterno Barolo Bussia
2013 Cavallotto Barolo Bussia Bricco Boschis

Vigna Rionda (Massolino) visit
2015 Massolino Chardonnay
2010 Massolino Dolcetto - no wood, in cement
2016 Massolino Barbera - in cement
2015 Massolino Barbera Riserva, oak
2015 Massolino Langhe Nebbiolo
2013 Massolino Barolo (6 vineyard blend)
2011 Massolino Vigna Rionda - stunning nose

Dinner - At the apt in Monforte - Tajarin and assorted Piemontese treats
2016 Marcarini Roero Arneis
2007 Poggio Scalette Piantonaia - intense and deeply extracted but not overdone and very balanced , delicious.

Castello di Neive visit with Italo Stupino (owner) and Claudio (winemaker) with a wonderful multicourse luncheon
Castello di Neive Method Classico Spumanti from 100% Pinot Noir, zero dosage, no sulphites - very nice, balanced
2016 Castello di Neive Arneis
2014 Castello di Neive Docletto d'Alba Basarin
2014 Castello di Neive Barbera Superiore (in barrique)
2015 Castello di Neive Barbera Classico (in steel)
2014 Castello di Neive Barbaresco - wonderful, elegant
2014 Castello di Neive Barbaresco Santo Stephano - same as the Barbaresco but MORE
2015 Castello di Neive Piemonte Albarossa - deep colour & fruit. Used a bit like Petit Verdot in blending.
2006 Casetllo di Neive Vino Passito Arneis - delicious. 3 bottles came home.
All the wines were consistent in showing great balance. Following my comment on the balance of the wines:
"We strive for elegance & balance: With Nebbiolo we look for the tannin; Barbaresco we look for the acitidy" - Italo Stupino


Paolo Scavino visit
2014 Paolo Scavino Barolo Classico
2014 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bricco Ambrogio
2014 Paolo Scavino Barolo Monvigliero
2014 Paolo Scavino Barolo Cannubi
2014 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc
2014 Paolo Scavino Barolo Carobric
2011 Paolo Scavino Barolo Riserva (special anniversary blend of all 7 cru) Fantastic

Conterno Fantino visit
2016 Conterno Fantino Dolcetto Bricco Bastia
2016 Conterno Fantino Barbera
2016 Conterno Fantino Langhe Nebbiolo
2015 Conterno Fantino Monpra (Blend of Barbera & Nebbiolo)
2013 Conterno Fantino Barolo Castelletto - nice!
2014 Conterno Fantino Barolo Sori Ginestra
2008 Conterno Fantino Barolo Chinato

Dinner - I Rebbi, Monfortino
2011 Produttori Barbaresco Riserva Rabaja
2011 Marchesi di Gresy Barbaresco Martinenga
2011 Paolo Scavino Cannubi - wow

Cappellano visit
2013 Cappellano Barbera - aged same as the Barolo, in botti
2014 Cappellano Nebbiolo
2013 Cappellano Barolo Rupestris - wonderful
2013 Cappellano Barolo Franco - big step up
Cappellano Barolo Chinato - best Chinato hands down. Has an intensity and balance that exceeds the rest...

Luigi Pira visit
2016 Luigi Pira Nebbiolo
2013 Luigi Pira Barolo Margheria
2013 Luigi Pira Barolo Marenca
2013 Luigi Pira Barolo Vigna Rionda
2004 Luigi Pira Barolo Vigna Rionda

Dinner: Trattoria della Posta, Monforte
2011 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto - YUM

Aldo Conterno visit with Giacomo Conterno another wondeful visit with Giacomo
2015 Aldo Conterno Bussiador (Chard) - beautiful
2015 Aldo Conterno Barbera
2014 Aldo Conterno Barolo Colonnello
2013 Aldo Conterno Barolo Cicala
2013 Aldo Conterno Barolo Romirasco
2009 Aldo Conterno Barol Gran Bussia Riserva

Brovia visit with Alex Sanchez
2014 Brovia Barolo - tough year - didn't release the cru but blended them. Name and label tbd. Result: Great. Smart choice.
2013 Brovia Barolo Rocche del Castiglione
2013 Brovia Barolo Brea vigna Ca Mia

Giacomo Conterno visit with Roberto Conterno Great visit with Roberto. (From memory - stopped taking notes at this point - too much fun)
2015 Giacomo Conterno Barbera d'Alba vigna Francia - best Barbera of the trip
2014(?) Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cerretta
2013 Monfortino from Barrel (4.5 yrs in barrel)
2014 Monfortino from Barrel

Last dinner: Trattoria della Posta, Monforte
2005 Aldo Conterno Barolo Gran Bussia Riserva - stunning. Perfect wine to finish the trip and perfect setting, food at della Posta.

May post some impressions (no formal notes taken) in 'tasting notes' later. For now I just wanted to get the list of wines into electronic format..

We also consumed a number of bottles of 2016 Bruno Giasoca Roero Arneis and Barolo Chinato (Franco Conterno & Schiavenza) while relaxing at our home base in Monforte. We were blessed with beautiful weather - short sleeves on the balcony at breakfast and clear skies, view the whole trip.

Cheers,
Last edited by vincentric
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Awesome VinC! How is the truffle season this year? I have read that it has been dry.


Worst truffle season in years. Price was high - 6 Euros per gram at Coccinella, 60 Euro for 8 grams at della Posta. In 2014 della Posta had a large serving platter PIlED high with orange sized truffles. This year, no platter. In 2014 I gorged on Truffles for 3 days. This trip I had white truffle once, and black truffles once.

On the upside, once I got past the typical regional dishes (Tajarin, Vitello Tonnato, Carne Cruda, Uovo con Fonduta...) with truffles, the extreme diversity, creativity and quality of the cuisine emerged. Truffles has shifted from a main attraction for me to a 'nice to have' when they are there... Leave the regional dishes for amuse bouche or appetizers and an incredible world of gastronomic adventure opens up.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by ABryce:
A great evening yesterday with Machine, doktap, yuka and others.

Laherte Freres Brut
La Closerie Extra Brut
2008 Paul Pernot Batard Montrachet
2012 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2013 Tua Rita Syrah
1990 Cos D' Estournel
1986 Chateau Lagrange
2004 Ornellaia
1990 Campgiovanni BdM
2003 Gunderloch Auslese
2006 Brunel Les Cailloux Cdp Blanc


very nice gents.


What E said. How was the 90 Cos?

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×