quote:
Originally posted by Machine:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
Last night at Market in Del Mar:

- 2003 Château Cos d'Estournel

Stunning, as expected. This is one of my all-time favorites.


How is it showing? Haven't had since about 2007 and it was big but Bordeaux-like back then (only opened because cork was raised when delivered, but it ended up being entirely sound). I think I have 4 left, is it worth opening one to test it out?


This is a near perfect wine for my palate. It's a big one, but seamlessly integrated. If you're sitting on four, I would go ahead and pop one. Give it at least 90 min. of air.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
With KL, Mike K, Chris S, and Dave S:
1978 ? Gran Riserva Cosecha
1992 Colgin Herb Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Henschke Hill of Grace Shiraz
1999 Delas La Landonne Cote Rotie
2004 SQN Ode to E Syrah
2007 The Treat Cabernet Sauvignon


Well done, gents! Any standouts?
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
With KL, Mike K, Chris S, and Dave S:
1978 Castillo Ygay Gran Riserva Cosecha
1992 Colgin Herb Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Henschke Hill of Grace Shiraz
1999 Delas La Landonne Cote Rotie
2004 SQN Ode to E Syrah
2007 The Treat Cabernet Sauvignon


Well done, gents! Any standouts?

I hate to sound cliche, but all were standouts in their own way. I would love to have tried the Rioja again at the end of the evening, but my palate was shot by then. It was very much alive though - bright red fruit with dried herbs.

Of the 3 wines with the highest price tags, I will purchase the Hill of Grace again if the opportunity presented itself. It was the most complex for me and evolved in a very good way over the course of the evening. There was a lot of acid with the initial glass, but it eventually gave way to raspberries, potpourri, mint and a nice sweet finish. The last glass was the best.

The SQN was unmistakably SQN - espresso, dark chocolate and vanilla on the nose and palate. Just a slutty wine and great for a one-night stand. The Colgin had a very interesting nose (KL described it as a newly opened, cheap plastic toy). The palate was fairly straight forward for me. I went back to it a few times to see if it would evolve into something better that would justify the price.

The Delas La Landonne was probably the best deal of them all (picked up at K&L auctions at $130 all in). I really like this wine, and it was in a great place. Red meat, iron, ad forest floor and dried blueberries on the nose. Tannins were fully integrated. Plums and blackberries on the palate. It would be interesting to drink this along side Guigal and Rostaing versions.
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
2013 Terrazze dell'Etna Etna Carusu


I tried this as well and was not impressed for the $. Definitely in the style i enjoy but was lacking anything extra

I saved a third of a bottle and it had put on some weight the second night. I agree about the lack of "extras", but my expectations were pretty low. All in all, I still think "serviceable" is about the right word for it. It did the job.
2014 andremily
2007 ridge Montebello
2000 troplong mondot

All three wines have a lovely beautiful nose across all three different profiles of wines. The andremily is lovely spiced Kirsch with plums, the ridge is like a wet tobacco cigar but showing nice red fruit and the troplong is forest floors with hints of pinesand crushed berries.

I'd highly recommend folks to do this tasting just to smell the three types of beautifully made wines.

Start w the troplong and end w the andremily
2004 chat montelena estates
2006 cakebread benchland select

The 2004 montelena is hitting all cylinders right now. Silky smooth resolved tannins backed some a lovely cherry compote smelling of crushed red berries.

The 06 cakebread was plums and tobacco with a lush mouthfeel that really coats the palate
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?


I dont know about the Napa, but i've had two stunning bottles of the '83 HM, and one that was godawful. If it was well stored, no seepage etc i'd be inclined to raise your expectations a touch.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.

Cool


I want more of these. Lots more of these. Like now.
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
quote:
Originally posted by bomba503:
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
1982 Dunn Howell Mountain. Cannot believe how fresh and vibrant this was. Could go another 10-15 years easily. Simply stunning tonight.


Good to hear. I've got an 83 Dunn Napa that I have low expectations on. Maybe there is hope?


I dont know about the Napa, but i've had two stunning bottles of the '83 HM, and one that was godawful. If it was well stored, no seepage etc i'd be inclined to raise your expectations a touch.


Thx! Bottle looks cosmetically great with no seepage and fill well above the shoulders. May stand it up for next Sunday night Eagles V. Cowgirls
2015 19 Crimes Cabernet Sauvignon

It was gifted to me about a year ago. Tried to return it to the KGBO but it turned out it was bought in the US so not only was the barcode different, the image on the label was different.

It's been in my cellar since then and I was haunted by it every time I'd go to grab something. Finally decided to put it out of its misery last night.

Verdict: it's a pretty sh!tty wine.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
2015 19 Crimes Cabernet Sauvignon

It was gifted to me about a year ago. Tried to return it to the KGBO but it turned out it was bought in the US so not only was the barcode different, the image on the label was different.

It's been in my cellar since then and I was haunted by it every time I'd go to grab something. Finally decided to put it out of its misery last night.

Verdict: it's a pretty sh!tty wine.

I don’t drink the same wines as you as often as I’d like. Unfortunately I tried one of these this year for the same reason. And same verdict.
Last few weeks

82 Chateau Margaux
08 DRC Echezeaux
02 Bernard Morey Chassagne Montrachet
07 Bertani Amarone
99 Cameron Pinot Noir
00 BV Georges de Latour Cab
01 Renato Corino Barolo Vecchie Vigne
05 Kamen Cab
05 Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroie
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Last few weeks

82 Chateau Margaux
08 DRC Echezeaux
02 Bernard Morey Chassagne Montrachet
07 Bertani Amarone
99 Cameron Pinot Noir
00 BV Georges de Latour Cab
01 Renato Corino Barolo Vecchie Vigne
05 Kamen Cab
05 Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroie


how was the 82' margaux?
Washing 48 wine glasses and drinking 2012 Carpineta Fontalpino Do Ut Des Toscana IGT.

BTW does anyone know the percentage breakdown of the varietals in this?

I could tell fairly quickly that it was Sangiovese / Cab Sauv / Merlot but I can't find more info than that. The Sangio was obvious on the nose, and the Cab/Merlot came through on the palate.
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
Washing 48 wine glasses and drinking 2012 Carpineta Fontalpino Do Ut Des Toscana IGT.

BTW does anyone know the percentage breakdown of the varietals in this?

I could tell fairly quickly that it was Sangiovese / Cab Sauv / Merlot but I can't find more info than that. The Sangio was obvious on the nose, and the Cab/Merlot came through on the palate.


34% Merlot, 33% Sangiovese & 33 Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.grapebrandswest.com...uper_tuscan_2012.pdf

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×