The new season starts tonight!

The Blackhawks are coming off two seasons of being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. Of course, last time that happened in 2011-2012, they won the Stanley Cup in 2013. Here's hoping. Hossa will officially go on LTIR today, thus creating $5.75 million in cap space for a team that's been up against the cap for many years now. What will Bowman do with the space? I can't wait to see what the Hawks do this year - there are many unknowns with the team this year. Drop the puck.

Looking forward to what should be a great game tonight in Oilers v. Flames.
Original Post
Hartzy leading the league in scoring after 5 points last night. He's on pace for 410 points this season. Big Grin Watch out Gretzky.

Obviously the game was an anomaly last night, but any win against the Penguins is good in my book. Columbus on Saturday. In fact, the Hawks first 8 games this season are against playoff teams from last season. I guess we'll know pretty quickly whether they are for real.
BLACKHAWK KARMA . . . HERE COME THE HAWKS
RESPECT THE INDIAN . . . FEAR THE INDIAN

Here Come the Hawks, the mighty Blackhawks
Take the attack, Yeah, and we'll back you Blackhawks
You're flyin' high now, so let's wrap it up
Let's go you Hawks, move off
Now all look out, Here Come the Hawks,
Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here come the Hawks

Here they come movin', weavin', flyin' high and throwin' spray,
Blades flashin' sticks crashin' tryin' for the play,
And the Blackhawks, take control,
There's a shot, AND A GOAL!

You're flying high now, so let's wrap it up
Now all look out, Here Come the Hawks
Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here come the Hawks

Now all look out, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Hat trick for old man Ovechkin last night. He's going to need to really step up this year, as the Caps are a little diminished this season.

PH

Doing enough for you so far? Big Grin

So far, so good!

PH
Got a little schvinktered with the Buds last night...guns are firing on all cylinders, need some defence though.

I think Marleau is a good addition to the young jets on the team. Hoping for goods things this year.

Been waiting, well, my whole life for Stanley.
quote:
Corey Crawford was godlike for stretches in his hometown tonight, and he needed to be. Damn, I'm glad hockey is back. Also, Alex DeBrincat gets his 1st NHL goal on the 10th anniversary of Jonathan Toews getting his.

Brilliant game by Crawford last night (except for that first goal). I think the second line really misses Schmaltz, but he is supposed to back on Thursday. 7 out of 8 possible points, all against playoff teams from last year. Not bad.
Looks like the return of Saad is paying some dividends for the Hawks. Panarin, who the Blue Jackets got back in the trade, has started out OK with 3 assists thus far. Big surprise for the Jackets has been 21-year-old Sonny Milano. Former first round pick has four goals so far including two last night in their 2-1 victory in OT.
[POTUS] congratulates mostly non-American NHL team on being “incredible patriots”
What do all the players in the photo have in common?
Updated by Zack Beauchamp@zackbeauchampzack@vox.com Oct 10, 2017, 5:30pm EDT

quote:
Ten of the 23 players on the Pittsburgh Penguins roster during the 2017 Stanley Cup Finals were American. The majority hailed from elsewhere, specifically Canada and a grab bag of cold European countries (Russia, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and Finland). The fact that they play for an American NHL team does not magically turn them into American patriots; typically, they play for their home country during the Olympics.
Got go see Hawks/Preds in person last night. A somewhat boring game until the 3rd. Brandon Saad is continuing to make his return a welcome one. Great to see a win, but it's frightening how bad our power play is.

Brent Seabrook is almost becoming a liability. If he is going to suck defensively, I wish he would at least dish some hits.

Now all look out, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks, Here Come the Hawks.
quote:
Got go see Hawks/Preds in person last night. A somewhat boring game until the 3rd. Brandon Saad is continuing to make his return a welcome one. Great to see a win, but it's frightening how bad our power play is.

Brent Seabrook is almost becoming a liability. If he is going to suck defensively, I wish he would at least dish some hits.

2-1/2 months later, and Saad hasn’t done jack since. In addition to Seabrook’s boat anchor deal, there are people openly talking about the uncomfortable subject of Toews and his complete lack of effectiveness. Panik, a bright spot last year has pretty much disappeared. Really missing Hossa as well.
How in the hell does the NHL allow an frickin expansion team to stocked with enough talent to actually have the 2nd best record in the league at this point in the season? Heck, the Lightning are on a 10-1 tear right now...with said expansion team being the only one to beat them in the last 11 games.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JDWest:
How 'bout those Leafs? I think we may actually have a team?

And one of the brightest young stars. Both good for the league, IMO.

They are a lot of fun to watch. Glad to see Nylander and Marner coming around after slow starts.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
How in the hell does the NHL allow an frickin expansion team to stocked with enough talent to actually have the 2nd best record in the league at this point in the season? Heck, the Lightning are on a 10-1 tear right now...with said expansion team being the only one to beat them in the last 11 games.

I'm surprised as anyone that the Knights are doing so well. I got to see their first game here in Toronto. Went to a shoot out. Good fast game.
quote:
quote:

2-1/2 months later, and Saad hasn’t done jack since. In addition to Seabrook’s boat anchor deal, there are people openly talking about the uncomfortable subject of Toews and his complete lack of effectiveness. Panik, a bright spot last year has pretty much disappeared. Really missing Hossa as well.

My son and I were just discussing this last night. With Crawford out, I have a hard time seeing this team make the playoffs. We all knew this day was coming, but I didn’t think it would arrive this quickly.

quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
quote:

My son and I were just discussing this last night. With Crawford out, I have a hard time seeing this team make the playoffs. We all knew this day was coming, but I didn’t think it would arrive this quickly.

Since this post, Panik has disappeared by force.

It for sure looks like time to pull the plug and ask some guys (except Kane) about waiving their no-trade. Not sure I see anyone willing to take on the Toews or Seabroook deals, though. Damn, this went south quickly.
Frown
Bringing further injury to insult...

Hawks sent out the email with the first playoff invoice for thus year. The odds that the Hawks make the playoffs are now listed as between 1-8% by the experts. To add greater insult they always collect money for 4 games per round (odds of 4 games in either round are probably less than 1%), and they want the first 2 rounds' money.
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
Bringing further injury to insult...

Hawks sent out the email with the first playoff invoice for thus year. The odds that the Hawks make the playoffs are now listed as between 1-8% by the experts. To add greater insult they always collect money for 4 games per round (odds of 4 games in either round are probably less than 1%), and they want the first 2 rounds' money.

Do they refund that money or do they apply it to next year's tickets? By the way, giving them a 1% chance is extremely generous...
quote:
Not sure I see anyone willing to take on the Toews or Seabroook deals, though. Damn, this went south quickly.
Frown

If Ottawa can deal Phaneuf like they did yesterday, then anyone can be dealt, regardless of their horrible contract. The bigger problem is that it seems as though the Hawks really don't want to trade him - they've rewarded him for his time and service and are apparently willing to bite the bullet for the long run.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

Do they refund that money or do they apply it to next year's tickets? By the way, giving them a 1% chance is extremely generous...

They refund the money or apply it, whatever you want.

Probably won't matter to me- I'm not a buyer of this year's playoffs (which won't exist) or of next season's tickets. I think the dynasty is over and I'm tired of losing money on every game.
Odds of making the playoffs today are listed between 0.5-0.9%.
I'm all in on the Vegas Golden Knights! Cool

Going to Hawks/Blues on 3/18. Normally this would be very exciting, seeing heated rivals jockey for playoff position. Now I'm most looking forward to getting together with friends we don't see often enough, seeing youngsters get ice time and shorter lines when peeing out $11+ beers.
You can tell the Blackhawks suck this year by how little activity there is on this thread. Razz Glad they managed to beat the Jets last night, but that doesn't help their standing in the draft lottery.

Bruins take over first place in the east with a win over Tampa Bay. Game got a little feisty at times. So the Bruins still have a chance for the President's Cup although it will be tough to catch Nashville who are 4 points up but have played one more game. Somehow Boston has 3 of their last 6 games left against the Panthers and another with Tampa.

Looking forward to the playoffs.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
You can tell the Blackhawks suck this year by how little activity there is on this thread. Razz

IH8U. Smile
Another sign of the suckage might be what happened last night being the probable season highlight. The expected starting goalie was hurt pre-game. The backup, just recalled from the AHL hurt himself in the 3rd period. A 36 year old accountant was on hand as the emergency backup, suited up, and made 7 straight saves.

Despite my team not participating, I'm also really looking forward to the playoffs and won't have any emotional stress watching. Two months of disctraction from the yawnfest that is baseball.
quote:
Despite my team not participating, I'm also really looking forward to the playoffs and won't have any emotional stress watching.

I haven't been watching that much the last few months - mostly because they suck, but also because my hockey buddy (my son) is in Tanzania, and it hasn't been the same without him around to discuss.

But I am ready to get into the playoffs - bring it on.
McDonough went on record today and said that Bowman and Quenneville will remain in their current positions next year. Not sure how I feel about that as I was prepared for Q to get the axe. I'm just wondering if he's lost the room. Every coach has a shelf life and it seems like his is past the expiration date. He'll probably have a short lease with the start of next season.

McDonough also said he's "very optimistic" that Corey Crawford will be good to go for next season. I'll believe that when I see it. They better find a better back up option than the sieves they threw out there this season.

On a more positive note, that comeback over St. Louis last night really made me smile. It would be a small victory to keep the Blues out of the playoffs.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
You can tell the Blackhawks suck this year by how little activity there is on this thread. Razz Glad they managed to beat the Jets last night, but that doesn't help their standing in the draft lottery.

Why are you hating on the Jets???
quote:
Two months of disctraction from the yawnfest that is baseball.

I have found that those who are most or least able to appreciate golf and baseball are those who either have or haven't ever played the game at a competitive level. Hope that sentence makes sense.

PH
quote:
quote:

I have found that those who are most or least able to appreciate golf and baseball are those who either have or haven't ever played the game at a competitive level. Hope that sentence makes sense.

PH

Hi PH,

The sentence makes sense. Hockey is my favorite sport to watch but I can't skate one bit. I enjoy watching golf and have gone to tournaments (including the 1990 US Open) but never broke 95.
Wink

Baseball is boring to me. While i respect the fact that many people enjoy it, it isn't for me. And I come across people (some on this forum) who malign hockey so I throw a little jab now and then.
quote:
quote:
quote:

PH

Hi PH,

The sentence makes sense. Hockey is my favorite sport to watch but I can't skate one bit. I enjoy watching golf and have gone to tournaments (including the 1990 US Open) but never broke 95.
Wink

Baseball is boring to me. While i respect the fact that many people enjoy it, it isn't for me. And I come across people (some on this forum) who malign hockey so I throw a little jab now and then.

Like hockey and can't skate either. I much prefer seeing hockey live. I get a better sense of the speed and skill required. Actually, the same is true for me for every sport except football.

Baseball has grown on me more and more as I've gotten a little bit older. There is so much that's unique to this sport. It's complex mentally and strategically. I love that it's the only team sport where the defense has the ball. I love the combination on reliance on both individual effort and team results. I could go on and on.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Blue Jackets lose last night but still clinch playoff spot. Now let's see if they can finally when a playoff series.

I hope they stick around a while, if for no other reason than bonus Torts interviews and pressers.

Add Reply

Likes (0)