I hope he stays out of trouble i.e., don't be like Vick.  The only thing to stop Lamar Jackson are direct hits to his legs and body.   Several years ago, Cam Newton was doing similar things -- maybe not as fast but definitely bigger and stronger.  Then Cam started to get hit badly and sometimes taking illegal hits.  It has changed his game.

Watched Colts-Texans, Saints-Panthers, split screen Titans-Jags and Pats-Boys.  Watched both night games and both were surprising duds.

The Colts have a pretty easy road to get the last playoff spot, and that might go to an 8-8 team.  That's about the best I can say about them.  Texans should have won by more.

The level of officiating is really bad.  That's my take away from the Saints game.  Never mind the overturned PI that was inconsistent with every other call over the last 8 weeks, Every official on the field missed the muffed punt when every person on the field, stadium and TV saw it.  Saints defense really is much different without Lattimore.

So I go out to check the tasting room at half time of the late games.  Come back and what the hell happened with the Titans?  28 points?  I wasn't gone that long.  The TItans have one of the tougher schedules to finish off of the 5-6, 6-5 teams, and they might be the best one of the lot at this point.  Turns out it was a good team with a bad QB.

That's what I was talking about with the Cooper trade.  That's exactly what he was in Oakland.  He'd disappear all game then show up wide open - and drop the ball.  Ted Ginn Jr Jr.  The Cowboys are likely to get a home playoff game, imagine that.  Maybe one of the Philly guys can tell me, are any of their injured players close to coming back?  I don't want to watch anymore Cowboys games.

That's the Raiders team I expected.

I didn't expect that beat down of Rodgers and the Pack.  Even Jimmy G's 2-3 WTF moments had no impact.  Saints-Niners in a couple weeks.  Might be worth a trip to NOLA.

Clay Mathews.  He made Colin Kaepernick a star.  January 13th 2013, Greg Roman, undresses Mathews on Read Option after Read Option.  He never could play with any discipline and Roman beat him play after play.  He gave him a situation he loved, tackle behind the line, and made a fool out of him.  181 rushing yards for a QB.

Last night Roman got to do it again with Jackson, same result.  The Cam Newton analogy is good, but Jackson is making better reads and better throws now than Newton ever did.  I watched him take a hard hit to the right arm last night and I think his time as a star will be short.  He's going to get hit, and hit a lot.  RGIII, Newton, Kap, all where going to 'change the league', none did, none could last.  He does look like a better QB than any of those other guys, but I don't see him staying healthy very long. 

Ravens defense is mean, just mean.

Agree on Jackson having a much better arm then the others. Its incumbent on the coaching staff to protect him through play calling. Would be a shame to see that kind of talent wasted.

Philly has lots of guys coming back. They played without two PB lineman (Johnson and Brooks) both of whom should be back. Alshon and Algohor should be back as should Howard. They play Miami this week so may hold some out longer. Ajayi will add some depth and a bigger back then they have had the last couple weeks.

Philly has a painfully easy schedule and should breeze through next few games but with so many guys nicked up and Wentz struggling anything is possible. Most likely it will come down to 11/22 Eagles-Dallas game in Philly to see who gets the right to lose to SF at home in the first round of the playoffs.

Early edition or I'll forget all this stuff by Tuesday.

The Bears - Lions game should have been the dinner time game.  If there was one to ignore this was it.  Still tracking right on for 8-8 and free beer.  The Lions 3rd string QB was fun to watch, hope he does get a chance to play.

Josh Allen looked so much better than he did when I watched him against the Pats.  In that game he was clearly overwhelmed by the moment.  I figured that might happen again, and it did not.  His reads and passing was so much better, but then he was playing the Cowboys.  I figured the Bills for a quick ride out of the playoffs, but they realistically could beat the Chiefs or Texans.

My father in law used to say: "In order to avoid disappointment, one must make sure perception aligns with reality."  The Cowboys are delusional.  Romo last night still was talking about little adjustments, and I'm still reading about 'small changes'.  This is the line up of this team at it's highest profile positions:

Case Keenum (actually Mariota is a closer match if Mariota had ever gotten good coaching)

Devonta Freeman

Ted Ginn Jr

Whitney Mercilus 

No one is calling that group a Super Bowl contender if you put them together.  If the Cowboys were in the NFC West they would be 3-9.  If they were in the NFC South they would be 4-8.  If the Eagles get a little healthy they should run away with the East over the next 5 weeks.

Eli Apple might have had the worst game I've ever seen a CB have when he didn't actually give up a big play.  On all three of his PI calls there was no need to touch the receiver at all.  I wonder how much time the Saints will spend on onside kick coverage this week.  Really though if your big problems are onside kick recovery and CB discipline that's not bad.  Lots of dropped balls.  I hate to see that.  The team last night didn't look like they could beat the Niners.

Falcons should go out 0 for the rest of the season now.

And final thought.  I'm not a parade guy at all.  I go to our small town ones because that's what you do in a small town: Chama Days, the GIlroy Christmas Parade, Morgan Hill 4th of July.  Of course in New Orleans I've seen the Halloween Parade, the Gay Easter Parade, the St Patrick Day parade and probably 50 weddings, birthdays or parades for the hell of it.  In between games Stef had the Macy's parade on and I thought: "If you've ever been to a parade in New Orleans, this New York parade is the lamest fucking thing you'll ever see in your life."  You New Yorkers should be embarrassed, step up your game.  Your parade is worse than your football teams.

The Browns have a decent chance to make the playoffs, despite their current 5-6 record.  They have 2 games remaining against the Bengals, who are winless. They have a game left against Arizona, who is 3-7-1.  If they can win against Pittsburgh today, who has a 3rd string quarterback playing, they could win 4 more games and finish with 9 wins, even if they lose their other remaining game against the Ravens.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, has a 6-5 record. They play the Browns today and they also have a game against Arizona.  But their other three games are the Ravens, the Jets and the Bills.

Today the Ravens host San Francisco. It will be raining hard for most of the game and temperature will be in the 40's.  I am glad I will be inside.

patespo1 posted:
doubled posted:
It's a shame that their complete domination of their hated division rivals was overlooked by the fight.  

Congrats on beating the JV team -  JuJu and Conner out  for 2.5 and 3 quarters, respectively, and with the JV QB.  It was close until the last quarter.  Unable to convert on 3rd and 4th and short.  I'm sure it'll be a different outcome in a couple of weeks.  I'm Macdonald sure.

a Win is a Win is a Win.  Cleveland has fielded a JV team for the last 20 years, didn't hear you complaining then about lack of competition.  

If you could guarantee the refs not going after Cleveland when they play in 10 days I'd take that bet, but we know how it is when Pitts is at home.  

The refs were not a factor in today's game.  Baker needs to stop doing commercials and spend more time practicing with his WRs.  😘

doubled posted:
patespo1 posted:
doubled posted:
It's a shame that their complete domination of their hated division rivals was overlooked by the fight.  

Congrats on beating the JV team -  JuJu and Conner out  for 2.5 and 3 quarters, respectively, and with the JV QB.  It was close until the last quarter.  Unable to convert on 3rd and 4th and short.  I'm sure it'll be a different outcome in a couple of weeks.  I'm Macdonald sure.

a Win is a Win is a Win.  Cleveland has fielded a JV team for the last 20 years, didn't hear you complaining then about lack of competition.  

If you could guarantee the refs not going after Cleveland when they play in 10 days I'd take that bet, but we know how it is when Pitts is at home.  

The refs were not a factor in today's game.  Baker needs to stop doing commercials and spend more time practicing with his WRs.  😘

Baker made a bad throw on the last play, other than that he played well as usual.  The loss is solely on Fat F*ck Freddie, and he deserves to be fired for it.  Hope that happens, he's been terrible all season. 

bomba503 posted:

Philly has lots of guys coming back. They played without two PB lineman (Johnson and Brooks) both of whom should be back. Alshon and Algohor should be back as should Howard. They play Miami this week so may hold some out longer. Ajayi will add some depth and a bigger back then they have had the last couple weeks.

Philly has a painfully easy schedule and should breeze through next few games but with so many guys nicked up and Wentz struggling anything is possible. Most likely it will come down to 11/22 Eagles-Dallas game in Philly to see who gets the right to lose to SF at home in the first round of the playoffs.

Yeah, Miami made that game look easy.  Maybe those guys should have dressed yesterday.

stefaniawine posted:
patespo1 posted:
Baker made a bad throw on the last play, other than that he played well as usual.  

The parts of the game I watched he was out played by a third stringer best known for his duck calling ability.  Did I miss his highlights?

Apparently you did 

doubled posted:
bomba503 posted:

Yeah, Miami made that game look easy.  Maybe those guys should have dressed yesterday.

We stink. Pederson has lost his edge too

I watched the official NFL 14 minute highlight package and went through the box score.  Mayfield had a good set of mid range passes.  Hodges had probably the best weekend in the NFL on long range passes.  The suck line with weighting (Int=5/Sack = 2/Fumble = 6/Unplanned Run = 1)

Hodges 1/1/0/5 = 12

Mayfield 1/5/1/1 = 22

Hodges had a QBR 20 points higher and was 2-2 in the two minute offense with 10 points.  Mayfield was 0-3 with a turnover.  So yeah Hodges outplayed Mayfield.

You know what they say about a Heisman Trophy in the NFL.  That and $2 will get you a bus pass.  Transfers are $1 more.

I watched the Niners-Ravens and was able to split screen the other games during breaks.  To me the Niners game came down to one of those Jimmy G WTF moments early in the game when he fumbled and gave the Ravens a short field.  That TD was the difference.  The Ravens didn't make that type of mistake all game.

Just when I'm smarting off about the the Macy's Parade being the worst thing in New York the Jets and Giants go out and make statement games.  They do in fact suck more than the parade.

We are finally through the complete unpredictability of games 8-12.  I mean none of you had a parley with the Bengals, Fins and Skins winning right?  Games should be easier to call now, at least for those not hopeless homers like every Cowboy fan and commentator out there.  

The Titans I need to watch an entire game so I quit missing how they score 14 points so damn fast.  They look like the team trending best out of 6/7 win group and could cause some problems in January.  The Cardinals and Raiders finally played like I expected them to all season.  Next week space aliens are going to come down and block a field goal with their ship to cost the Chargers a win, because that is like the only way they've not found to lose yet.

You know that meme about the gods taking a day from your life for every cigarette you smoke and giving it to Keith Richards?  Tom Brady has that some thing for everyone who says he's washed up.  The gods give him one more completion.  I'm not saying anything, but I, like everyone else, went to the Pats schedule to see who the hell they beat.  The wins against the Eagles, Cowboys and Browns look a lot less impressive now that we know the reality of those teams versus the fantasy of what we thought they were.

I was on the porch drinking a Manny and smoking a Brick House for the first half last night.  THe second half was great.  Wilson is doing things this year reading defenses and making adjustments that I've not seen him do regularly in the past.  THe game plan isn't just 'run around until someone is open' anymore.  Very impressive.

Saints-Niners coming up.  I stocked the fridge with Anchor Steam and Abita.  Stop by.

stefaniawine posted:

I watched the official NFL 14 minute highlight package and went through the box score.  Mayfield had a good set of mid range passes.  Hodges had probably the best weekend in the NFL on long range passes.  The suck line with weighting (Int=5/Sack = 2/Fumble = 6/Unplanned Run = 1)

Hodges 1/1/0/5 = 12

Mayfield 1/5/1/1 = 22

Hodges had a QBR 20 points higher and was 2-2 in the two minute offense with 10 points.  Mayfield was 0-3 with a turnover.  So yeah Hodges outplayed Mayfield.

You know what they say about a Heisman Trophy in the NFL.  That and $2 will get you a bus pass.  Transfers are $1 more.

I watched the Niners-Ravens and was able to split screen the other games during breaks.  To me the Niners game came down to one of those Jimmy G WTF moments early in the game when he fumbled and gave the Ravens a short field.  That TD was the difference.  The Ravens didn't make that type of mistake all game.

Just when I'm smarting off about the the Macy's Parade being the worst thing in New York the Jets and Giants go out and make statement games.  They do in fact suck more than the parade.

We are finally through the complete unpredictability of games 8-12.  I mean none of you had a parley with the Bengals, Fins and Skins winning right?  Games should be easier to call now, at least for those not hopeless homers like every Cowboy fan and commentator out there.  

The Titans I need to watch an entire game so I quit missing how they score 14 points so damn fast.  They look like the team trending best out of 6/7 win group and could cause some problems in January.  The Cardinals and Raiders finally played like I expected them to all season.  Next week space aliens are going to come down and block a field goal with their ship to cost the Chargers a win, because that is like the only way they've not found to lose yet.

You know that meme about the gods taking a day from your life for every cigarette you smoke and giving it to Keith Richards?  Tom Brady has that some thing for everyone who says he's washed up.  The gods give him one more completion.  I'm not saying anything, but I, like everyone else, went to the Pats schedule to see who the hell they beat.  The wins against the Eagles, Cowboys and Browns look a lot less impressive now that we know the reality of those teams versus the fantasy of what we thought they were.

I was on the porch drinking a Manny and smoking a Brick House for the first half last night.  THe second half was great.  Wilson is doing things this year reading defenses and making adjustments that I've not seen him do regularly in the past.  THe game plan isn't just 'run  around until someone is open' anymore.  Very impressive.

Saints-Niners coming up.  I stocked the fridge with Anchor Steam and Abita.  Stop by.

Re: Jimmy I'm less critical on the fumble. Bad weather game in the cold and one turnover is not unexpected. He had one fumble and no INTs which is above average For that type of game.

For me the Jimmy WTF moments were his inability to get the ball to Kittle. 2 catches and under 20 yards to one of the Premier TE's in the NFL is a big time fail. Big... Time.... Fail. That's why they lost

That's a good fair assessment of not finding Kittle but I don't think the game turned on that.

Jimmy is fearless standing in the pocket.  Scary fearless.  It reminds me of Brady and Brees.  I've watched Brees for 15 seasons now and the amazing thing to me is that as long as he can hang in there, bad things don't happen.  He'll get sacked from time to time, but still less than league average.  Even though a lot of those sacks are scary two arm wrap around from behind, he never puts the ball on the ground.  He also never throws bad balls in those situations.  Most of his Ints are bad bounces.

I've watched pretty much every Jimmy game since he came to the 49ers and consistently he makes 2-3 horrible mistakes a game.  He puts the ball on the ground, he throws balls right to defenders, he puts up jump balls.  Those things all happen when he holds in the pocket.  So far this year his defense has been able to bail him out by forcing more turnovers or making a stop.  Against the Ravens they couldn't / didn't.

The Niners season this year flipped on what might end up being the biggest one year turn around in +/- turnover change ever.  They're +31 better than last year right now, but they still give the ball away much more often than the other elite teams.  I see the Niners season ending this year with Jimmy on the ground and whatever opposing defense it is posing in the end zone.

At least you can't accuse me of being a homer I guess.  He is the best QB we've had since Garcia and he's got fewer career starts than Mayfield or Trubisky, so maybe I'm expecting too much from him at this point.

I think its a little premature to label him either way. The first 10 games of the year were against exceedingly soft competition while the last 6 will be against exceedingly difficult competition. So far so good but 4 more to go. We'll have a better idea in a few more weeks after seeing how he fares through a full season and post season.

In fairness, not getting it to Kittle may be as much the coaching staffs fault. Ive been to dozens of games in weather like that. In a bad weather game like that you gotta get the ball to your TE. Thats how you move the chains and sustain drives. When you have one as good as Kittle that is particularly true.

stefaniawine posted:

I've watched Brees for 15 seasons now and the amazing thing to me is that as long as he can hang in there, bad things don't happen.  He'll get sacked from time to time, but still less than league average.  Even though a lot of those sacks are scary two arm wrap around from behind, he never puts the ball on the ground.  He also never throws bad balls in those situations.  Most of his Ints are bad bounces.

That would be post-Chargers. Just sayin'. Whether that's a matter of getting away from a dysfunctional team (my guess) or gaining experience in the league is up for debate.

Saw a story yesterday that the Cowboys were seriously evaluating their kicker.  Yeah the kicker, that's where the talent problem is.  That explains it all. 

The game Thursday reminded me a lot of the Titans game last year where Mariota went 22-23 and was praised for a great game when he totally sucked.  The Cowboys all finished with good stats, all of them gathered Blake Bortles style in the second half when the game was over.  Cooper finished with 6 catches, 88 yards and a touchdown.  Good game right?  He was 1 catch on three targets for 15 yards while the game was still in doubt.  5 catches, 73 yards and a touchdown that didn't matter even a little.

Prescott finished with 334 yards.  He had 270 of those yards after the Bear took control of the game 24-7, he went two full quarters between the first drive and the 24-7 score with 19 yards passing.

The second highest paid Dlinemen in the league had two tackles and no sacks.  He's had 1/2 sack in his last five games.

There are some long lean years ahead for the Cowboys.

There's that video we've all seen - Dick Butkus lifting Leroy Kelly, legs still churning and throwing him to the ground.  For three decades that's been the video of the baddest ass -toughest play of all time.  Then Kittle drags Marcus Williams by his facemask with the rest of the Saints secondary nipping at him like hyenas trying to bring down a bull elephant and we have the new video of bad ass for the next 30 years.

If you were watching the Browns or Jets or whatever Sunday morning I feel for you man.  Praise your loyalty but you missed the game of the year.  Niners pulled out everything in the book and Brees put on an all time great game.  Everything else feels like it might be a let down.

The afternoon was spent at Tommy's Saloon and Todd's Beer Garage so I got the Raiders v Titans only.  So the way the Titans get points so fast is Tannehill has freed himself from the evil clutches of Adam Gase.  What a fun team to watch. 

The way NFL coaches rise is so weird.  Gase's claim to fame was being Payton's OC at the end of his career.  An OC was as important to Manning the last 10 years of his career as the guy who brang over the Microsoft Surface to him when he ran off the field.  Ok maybe not even that important.  Then from there he goes to coaching Cutler.  So irrelevant and uninterested is basically his resume but he turns that into two head coaching jobs as some sort of QB guru.

Seahawks laid a turd in the late game.  Looked like Saints v Falcons a few weeks ago.

Monday night was a good game.  Philly fans get a lot of well deserved crap, but they do boo when a team needs to get booed and that team needed it in the first half.  The Giants offensive line was the worst offensive line I've seen all year.  Their secondary is worse than the offensive line.  I've seen the Bengals play twice and the GIants play twice, the GIants are worse.  I do think if Manning wants to come back next year he earned himself a job.  He'd be a good transitional QB on an average to above average team working up a new QB.

The Eagles still needed overtime to beat them.  Wentz's two big completions in the first half were dying ducks each receiver needed to come back on and basket catch.  Against any other NFL team those would have been interceptions or knock downs.  I worked on a new metaphor for the upcoming Eagles v Cowboys showdown.  It's 3:30 AM at a Waffle House outside of Mobile Alabama and you're watching two fat women fight over a diet coke.

Texans v Titans is the big morning game coming up.  I am looking forward to seeing a Greg Williams defense vs the Raven's on Thursday.  Jackson should clinch his MVP.

stefaniawine posted:

There's that video we've all seen - Dick Butkus lifting Leroy Kelly, legs still churning and throwing him to the ground.  For three decades that's been the video of the baddest ass -toughest play of all time.  Then Kittle drags Marcus Williams by his facemask with the rest of the Saints secondary nipping at him like hyenas trying to bring down a bull elephant and we have the new video of bad ass for the next 30 years.

If you were watching the Browns or Jets or whatever Sunday morning I feel for you man.  Praise your loyalty but you missed the game of the year.  Niners pulled out everything in the book and Brees put on an all time great game.  Everything else feels like it might be a let down.

The afternoon was spent at Tommy's Saloon and Todd's Beer Garage so I got the Raiders v Titans only.  So the way the Titans get points so fast is Tannehill has freed himself from the evil clutches of Adam Gase.  What a fun team to watch. 

The way NFL coaches rise is so weird.  Gase's claim to fame was being Payton's OC at the end of his career.  An OC was as important to Manning the last 10 years of his career as the guy who brang over the Microsoft Surface to him when he ran off the field.  Ok maybe not even that important.  Then from there he goes to coaching Cutler.  So irrelevant and uninterested is basically his resume but he turns that into two head coaching jobs as some sort of QB guru.

Seahawks laid a turd in the late game.  Looked like Saints v Falcons a few weeks ago.

Monday night was a good game.  Philly fans get a lot of well deserved crap, but they do boo when a team needs to get booed and that team needed it in the first half.  The Giants offensive line was the worst offensive line I've seen all year.  Their secondary is worse than the offensive line.  I've seen the Bengals play twice and the GIants play twice, the GIants are worse.  I do think if Manning wants to come back next year he earned himself a job.  He'd be a good transitional QB on an average to above average team working up a new QB.

The Eagles still needed overtime to beat them.  Wentz's two big completions in the first half were dying ducks each receiver needed to come back on and basket catch.  Against any other NFL team those would have been interceptions or knock downs.  I worked on a new metaphor for the upcoming Eagles v Cowboys showdown.  It's 3:30 AM at a Waffle House outside of Mobile Alabama and you're watching two fat women fight over a diet coke.

Texans v Titans is the big morning game coming up.  I am looking forward to seeing a Greg Williams defense vs the Raven's on Thursday.  Jackson should clinch his MVP.

The Saints/Niners game was awesome.  Good teams, fighting hard.  Really fun.

Gase is a truly terrible coach.  I am so happy he is gone and running the Jets.

The Browns, with a slim chance of staying live for the playoffs, shit the bed against Arizona yesterday.  Fat F*ck Freddie gets outcoached by Kingsbury, and shouldn't have been allowed on the plane back to Cleveland.  

Need a new HC and some offensive lineman this offseason. 

My perspective is the Browns are making good progress.  The record last year was a fluke of luck based on getting a bunch of teams at the end of the season who had quit.  IF they had finished with 4-5 wins we would have said that was good progress.  Coming into this season a good prediction would have been 7-8 wins, not playoffs and potential Super Bowl.   They'll make that and 8 wins two years after 0 would be a team heading in the right direction.

If you think Freddie is bad, Gregg the Moron would have been far worse, so to me another good trend in they didn't make that mistake.  I do think they would benefit greatly from a coach with QB experience who could work with Mayfield.  Something like the Rams or 49ers did.

Not really a lot of surprise left in the season now.  Really only the Niners game but they had 6 starters out on defense and the Falcons are good when they play hard.

The Jets game was interesting.  Darnold and Anderson showed something good.  To bad they have the worst coaching staff in the NFL and no indication they're getting rid of the dynamic dumbos.   

I expected a better game in the Texans v Titans match up.  Early in the season I said the only close games I saw the Texans having was in games where they really should have blown the other team out and that was one of them.

The Cowboys are of course now going to win the Super Bowl based on beating a single winning team (one that looked like it's booked its golf dates).  At least that's what I got reading the news about them.

If the Bucs had any other QB, anyone who turned the ball over at an average rate, they'd be 10-4.

I made the best red beans and rice I've ever done Monday.  Ham Hock was the secret I've been missing.  That and pork belly.  I read an advance stat this week that Michael Thomas has dropped one, one, a single pass this year he should have caught.  Cooper can do that in a single quarter in any game.  I mention Thomas because he's the first Pro Bowl wide receiver Drew Brees has ever had on the Saints.  Think about all time leader in Yards, Completions, and Touchdowns and he hasn't had a Pro Bowler to throw to until 3 years ago.

Tom Coughlin is out of the league for the moment.  Want to know a team with an idiot running it?  It's whoever hires him next.  Skins are my bet.

I'm going to be rooting for the Eagles and Chiefs this week.  The first because one should root against the Cowboys at all times.  The later because it will clinch that 8-8 Chitown beer for me.

SF has no excuse and should have won easily. Loss rests firmly on offense, Shanhan play calling and Jimmy. Too many possessions deep without touchdowns. If not for the muffed punt the offense scores one TD. Not good enough

I really don't see much of a chance for Philly this weekend but who knows. 

No game tonight, but three on Saturday all with playoff implications. Good day to spend on the couch with a big bowl of soup nursing my cold 

Add Reply

Likes (0)