Apparently the Chargers are considering moving to--England!

"Would the Chargers really move to London?

Such a move would be years away, but it’s hard to blame the NFL for considering such a drastic move. The Chargers’ migration from San Diego to Los Angeles has been an embarrassment for the league, as opposing fans repeatedly take over Dignity Health Sports Park, the 27,000-capacity soccer stadium the Chargers are using as a temporary home."

Moving a team to London won't happen without some serious tax reform in the UK.  For entertainers, like football players, the tax rate would be in the range of 75%.  Was listening to ESPN on the way into work this morning and they used Jared Goff's rookie contract as an example.  The contract was worth $28 million.  He would pay US taxes of $11 million, and additional UK tax of $12.5 million, meaning of his $28 million, he'd pocked only $4.5 million.  No way the union would approve of expansion or relocation without some tax reform, which would require an act of British Parliament.  Not happening any time soon.  

doubled posted:

So much for the upcoming easy schedule for the Browns.  🤷‍♂️

They pooped the bed, it's taken me a few days to recover.  Season over.  Going to the game next Thursday against Shitsburgh, they can salvage some pride with a couple of W's against their/our hated rival

Looks like my Eagles are exactly where I thought they'd be. Muddling through the season and needing to go 3-3 through a particularly brutal 6 game stretch. They are 2-2 through so far. The bye week comes at a perfect time as they need to get some guys healthy and desperately need some help at WR which they should be able to find over these two weeks. If they can take down NE or SEA at home they should be going to the post season party

On the Chargers I find it particularly funny to see LA Times readers citing the lack of LA support of the team. This is as much fake news as Fox puts out. The LA Times has always had it out for the Chargers particularly Bill Plaschke.

The reality is SD never truly supported this team either. I have been attending Charger home games since 1991 and was a season ticket holder at times. I never attended a single Chargers "Home" game where opposing fans didnt make up at least 1/3rd of the fans and often it was far worse at Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium.

I remember going to an Eagles v SD game several years ago at QCOM and buying 50 yd line plaza tickets (best in the house) a few weeks before the game for about face value. In most cities those kinds of tickets would never get resold. Fans would go or have family or friends to give them to. It would be extremely rare that they would be available at any price.

SD is a city of transplants. While they had some very loyal and devoted fans they never had enough to come close to filling a stadium with them on a regular basis. As a season tix holder during some of the worst seasons I remember not being able to give away two great tickets for FREE. Literally no one wanted to go! In contrast as a former Eagles season tix holder I remember going to sold out games in sub freezing temperatures during lousy seasons.  Its literally unheard of in most NFL cities to have a significant visiting contingency (lets say 10 to 20% of seating capacity for arguments sake) except down in Miami and perhaps Phx which are also a cities of transplants.

While not a Rams or Raiders fan they suffered and still suffer similar fates. LA like SD is also a city of transplants. Every game Ive ever been there also have had a large visiting fan attendance. The sad truth is in the warm climate glamour cities NFL football simply doesnt occupy the same esteemed place as it does elsewhere.

I remember reading one of the tipping points for the Rams owner moving the team in 1994 was her frustration that the only sell out every year in L.A. was against the 49ers and 60-80% of the crowd were 49er fans.  My Dad went every year, flying down and making a long weekend out of it.  He claimed it was over 90% 49er fans at the those games.  I don't know why anyone would think that would have changed over 25 years.

IT did have my conspiracy theory hackles up last year as the Rams had their way handed to them to the Super Bowl.  The NFL seemed to do everything possible, including stuffing yellow flags inside of jock straps no matter how bad the foul, to inspire some sort of local support for the Rams.  They failed.  A few weeks ago an LA Times Op-Ed blamed the NFL for the lack of fan support in LA. Imagine that?

The 'story' in the Athletic was complete crap.  The worst kind of blogging dressed up as journalism you can have.  Basically the story was one report heard from one guy in the NFL office that two guys in the office where talking about moving the Chargers.  Where's Indybob when we need him to explain how that's not a news story.  Then every other outlet around picked it up and basically their second source was each other.   It doesn't even qualify as news to then be classified as fake news.  IT's gossip.

The Spanos family is firmly rooted in Stockton CA, They're not leaving the state, and if I was a betting man I'd bet the Chargers end up in the East Bay or Sacramento eventually.   NFL teams will never be sold again.  They're cash cows and with the repeal of the inheritance tax there's no financial need for any family to ever sell again.  The owners you have now, are the owners you're always going to have.

The threat of moving a team to London will be the leverage used to get cities to pay for new stadia for the teams.  There simply aren’t many locations left in the US that can or will (LA) support an NFL franchise to be able to use a US city as leverage. 

bomba503 posted:

SW

Divorce and death not the least of them

Divorce, ok maybe.  Death?  The Hawks and Saints both survived their owners death with no threat to family control.  There was thought that Paul Allen's sister would sell the team but there's no sign that will happen.

Open mics catching ugly comments and dicks out in the office, that's the only way I see owners being forced to sell.

stefaniawine posted:
bomba503 posted:

SW

Divorce and death not the least of them

Divorce, ok maybe.  Death?  The Hawks and Saints both survived their owners death with no threat to family control.  There was thought that Paul Allen's sister would sell the team but there's no sign that will happen.

Open mics catching ugly comments and dicks out in the office, that's the only way I see owners being forced to sell.

It can be more complicated than you think. For example about 15 years ago I was in a dumpy sports bar around the corner watching my Eagles and saw an older couple looking for a place to sit with Eagles gear on. I invited them to join me. He was a retired banker from Philly. I became friends with them and over the years watched many games with them at that dumpy sports bar. I wondered why they kept coming and they said they just liked going there and getting out of the house. The wife passed several years ago, the bar shut down when BWW came to town and I hadnt seen them in a while. I bumped into him around town with his caregiver about 8 months ago. He was suffering memory loss and didnt know who I was. So why is this relevant you may ask? The team is worth close to $3B and he owns 10% of the Eagles. There is someone else out there that also quietly owns 10% and he has an ex-wife who owns a piece also. There are silent minority ownership stakes all over the league that could create a need to sell. There are lots of other things going on as well out there. Its not as simple as one guy/gal owning each team. 

I do know how complicated the ownership structures can be.  Few teams are owned outright.  Sale of minority shares isn't really what we were talking about with the Spanos family.  They have minority owners also, but the minority owners are not going to decide where to locate the team, the Spanos' are.

I was referring to your comment that "NFL teams will never be sold again.  They're cash cows and with the repeal of the inheritance tax there's no financial need for any family to ever sell again.  The owners you have now, are the owners you're always going to have." I have no idea what will happen with the Chargers but as a whole NFL teams will continue to change ownership the future

I was being a little bit of a smart ass.  When you hear people say the Bears, or Skins or Jets need to get sold, they're not getting sold no matter how poor the team performs.

In the last 5 years there have been two sales.  The Bills because the family could not cover the taxes, a factor that doesn't exist anymore, and the Panthers - see comment about dick out in office.

8 sold in the 12 years before that, but it's a much different league now than 2004 or 2012.  In reality if not for the dick thing, there has not been any sale in 5 years, which I bet is a record streak without doing the research.  I don't think that's a fluke, I think it's the new normal.  Yeah they'll get sold, but I'd bet it's one every 5-7 years for some reason tied to owner conduct, not 3-4 every 5 years like it was before 2012.  When they do get sold, they're going to get sold to people who will keep them right where they are and mind their instructions from the league office.

If the league was after owners who could revitalize a franchise and turn it into a winner, well Eddie D would have been invited back 10 years ago, and he's not being invited back ever.  That tells me revitalizing and turning around a franchise is not in the selection criteria for new owners.

I think a lot of the turnover was age related. It's not much different than my neighborhood. I'm here 20 years. Lots of people moved in, had babies and now that kids are off to college they are off somewhere else. In the NFL most of the original ownership from the modern era passed 80 and the sales increased. Look at franchises with aging ownership for the next flurry

A perfect quarterback rating in the NFL is 158.3.   You know how a perfect wine rating is 100? Well, wouldn't it make more sense to have a perfect QB rating be 100.  I mean, 158.3 is a pretty weird number.

Here is the gobbledygook from which the rating is derived:  (This is from Wikipedia) - If you get to the bottom of this without getting a headache then you are either a true football fan, a geek, a math genius, or seriously mentally ill.

"The NFL passer rating formula includes four variables: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdowns per attempt, and interceptions per attempt. Each of those variables is scaled to a value between 0 and 2.375, with 1.0 being statistically average (based on league data between 1960–1970). When the formula was first created, a 66.7 rating indicated an average performance, and a 100+ rating indicated an excellent performance.[3] However, passing performance has improved steadily since then and in 2017 the league average rating was 88.6.[4]

The four separate calculations can be expressed in the following equations:

a=\left[{{\text{COMP}} \over {\text{ATT}}}-.3\right)\times 5

b=\left[{{\text{YDS}} \over {\text{ATT}}}-3\right)\times .25

c=\left[{{\text{TD}} \over {\text{ATT}}}\right)\times 20

d=2.375-\left[{{\text{INT}} \over {\text{ATT}}}\times 25\right)

where

<dl><dd>ATT = Number of passing attempts</dd><dd>COMP = Number of completions</dd><dd>YDS = Passing yards</dd><dd>TD = Touchdown passes</dd><dd>INT = Interceptions</dd></dl>

If the result of any calculation is greater than 2.375, it is set to 2.375. If the result is a negative number, it is set to zero.

Then, the above calculations are used to complete the passer rating:

{\text{Passer Rating}}=\left[{a+b+c+d \over 6}\right)\times 100

A perfect passer rating (158.3) requires at least:[1]A minimum rating (0.0) requires at best:

77.5% completion percentage
12.5 yards per attempt
11.875% TD/ATT (1 TD/8.421ATT)
No interceptions

30.0% completion percentage
3.0 yards per attempt
No touchdowns
9.5% INT/ATT (1INT/10.526ATT)

I am not one to hijack sports threads for outside issues, but here goes.

Unless I have seriously missed something, and I doubt I have, estate taxes are still very much in place. While the personal exemption has been raised to around $5.5 million per person, thus $11 million per couple, that pales in comparison to the value of an NFL team. Now while there are numerous ways to mitigate the tax consequences, the estate tax is still a vital consideration on the sale of such an asset. The current estate tax law sunsets in 2025, so we have no idea what it will be then. Thus, the current ownership of NFL teams may indeed be affected by the estate tax.

Been an unusually chaotic week.  I usually write these on the train and have only been on the train once this week.  I got half the Raiders game, all the Saints, nothing in the afternoon, bits of the Cowboys and all the Niners.

We were very busy Sunday, I poured wine all afternoon, so not a bad thing.  We actually ran out of glasses.

This is the hardest part of the season to call for me if you break it down into quarters.  The first four games you're learning to separate hype from reality, or in the case of things like the Bears and Browns, see if you got it right or like the Chargers wrong.  The next 4 games are the easiest.  You know stuff then and generally everyone is playing with effort.

Now though games 9-12, anything can happen.  A so so team with a lot of motivation, facing a lot of teams with out motivation can fire off a string of wins, like the Browns did last year.  Go Dolphins.  You can also get a team that' s been dead all year wake up and realize the coach they love is going to get fired and they might end up with Pat Shurmer, or something.  Hello Falcons, where you been all year?

Teams don't take other teams serious and lay duds, and then some teams that you think have potential for a run start thinking more about their golf dates in January, like last years Panthers.  If you're a bettor, now is the time to keep your money in your pocket, save it for the playoffs.  Nothing will surprise me for the next few weeks.  Except maybe the Bengals winning.

I'll make an super early prediction here.  Check back in 5 years, but I think the Dolphins saved themselves a world of heartache with a couple wins.  I don't follow college ball that closely but the way the talent is lining up, and the hype and the likely draft order, I think you don't want those first two picks any more than you would have wanted them in 2015.

Last thing was that was a hell of a game as expected with the Niners.  I'll repeat myself though, it's not wide sprinter, wide jumper, wide route runner, it's wide FUCKING RECEIVER.  Why do teams keep drafting, and playing guys who can't catch a freaking football?

Last night I was running through a list of things that could be worse to watch; fat chick string bikini contest, old man naked mud wrestling, Kathy Lee Gifford, Frozen II, then all hell broke loose.

Two takeaways, Mason Rudolph doesn't look like a long term solution, his pocket work is really bad.  Second believe it or not was how completely undisciplined the Browns are and it's systemic through the team.  Then with 8 seconds left that became the most completely obvious observation all season.

I've watched three Browns games and the penalties I've commented on before as really holding them back.   Their coaching staff seems completely over matched by their own team.  Lots of blame to go around, but it should start on top.

I think Mason Rudolph will be a very good quarterback.  He has a learning curve to get over, but I wouldn't spend draft capital to find another QB.   Ju-Ju is a very good slot receiver but cannot stretch the field when there is double coverage; he was knocked out of the game in 2nd Qtr from a helmet-to-helmet hit.  The rest of the receivers are not very good.   There was no running game.   

stefaniawine posted:

Last night I was running through a list of things that could be worse to watch; fat chick string bikini contest, old man naked mud wrestling, Kathy Lee Gifford, Frozen II, then all hell broke loose.

Two takeaways, Mason Rudolph doesn't look like a long term solution, his pocket work is really bad.  Second believe it or not was how completely undisciplined the Browns are and it's systemic through the team.  Then with 8 seconds left that became the most completely obvious observation all season.

I've watched three Browns games and the penalties I've commented on before as really holding them back.   Their coaching staff seems completely over matched by their own team.  Lots of blame to go around, but it should start on top.

Freddie is terrible, though they've cleaned in up the last few weeks.  The helmet swing was a snap judgement that I don't put on Freddie however.  

It's a shame that their complete domination of their hated division rivals was overlooked by the fight.  

stefaniawine posted:

Not to mention why they refuse to give Chubb carries.  They could have drained the clock and won easier rather than letting Mayfield flail

It's a shame that their complete domination of their hated division rivals was overlooked by the fight.  

Congrats on beating the JV team -  JuJu and Conner out  for 2.5 and 3 quarters, respectively, and with the JV QB.  It was close until the last quarter.  Unable to convert on 3rd and 4th and short.  I'm sure it'll be a different outcome in a couple of weeks.  I'm Macdonald sure.

While Kitchens may know the x and os  of football, he has no clue on how to effectively run an organization. No guy with control of his team would ever have an incident like last night's melee. Garrett is always good for a couple of personal fouls per game so it is no surprise that he was a main character in a fight.

Agree that the Dolphins should try to win. Tua may be a good NFL QB, but may not be the franchise QB as previously thought (if for nothing else his fragile ankles). Burrow may be a better prospect. The one everyone should covet is 2021 and Trevor Lawrence.

doubled posted:

Congrats on beating the JV team -  JuJu and Conner out  for 2.5 and 3 quarters, respectively, and with the JV QB.  It was close until the last quarter.  Unable to convert on 3rd and 4th and short.  I'm sure it'll be a different outcome in a couple of weeks.  I'm Macdonald sure.

a Win is a Win is a Win.  Cleveland has fielded a JV team for the last 20 years, didn't hear you complaining then about lack of competition.  

If you could guarantee the refs not going after Cleveland when they play in 10 days I'd take that bet, but we know how it is when Pitts is at home.  

Garrett said in his appeal today that Rudolph used a racial slur and that's why he hit him.  First anyone has heard of this (I think).  If it's true, Rudolph deserved it frankly, but if it's not, that's a hell of an accusation to be throwing around.  

I should try to beat the start of a new week.  Already commented on the Browns Steelers, and could go on about that, but the Browns are the Browns and back to wasted 1st round picks and irrelevance they go.  

Watched the Saints, Niners, Pandas (why, why again) and the Chargers-Chiefs.

Winston's first two picks were kind of freak bounces.  They were not well thrown balls, but they could have been incomplete easier than they were picks.  The third one I thought Williams might signal for a fair catch on.  By the fourth one I was on my way to the neighbors.  Kamara still doesn't look close to 100% but the good news was the Saints didn't fall off a cliff without Lattimore, which they've done in the past.

It's strange but there's still talk on all the news feeds about Tampa trying to keep WInston another year.  I actually read something this morning that the Titans might dump both options they have now, both of whom are better than Mr. Uber.  There's not a bad team there, just maybe the worst QB in the league.  I know there are back ups all over and somehow Brian Hoyer started a game this year, but worst in no one ever thought Hoyer would be any good or stuck by him for years.  Value returned to faith.  Worst.

Speaking of worst - Bears 2017 draft.  Burrito eating contest winners and back flip specialist.  It wasn't hard to call at the time.  That's not even mentioning trading up a pick to get a player the team you were trading to didn't want.  Hind sight?  I called it then, should have bet you guys on that one also.  I think of the Bears front office, and it must be like that scene in  Money Ball; "He's got a hot girlfriend and can do back flips, we should draft him".

The basic rule of the NFL is learn, adapt, change, invent, or die.  The league caught up to the Rams.  You don't keep changing, you die.  Everyone has seen the film now, they are prepared for it, every week you have to  show a defense something new.  McVay should know that, but so far he hasn't shown it.

I feel a little better about the Chargers miss after watching Rivers fade into the world of Eli Manning over the last few weeks.  Watching Monday I wondered if he's got some injury we don't know about.  Highlights from 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4dq6WYP8o

Then from a good game against the Fins this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9lmcU0WxRI

Notice the lowering of his already low arm angle and release point?  His release seems almost slow motion now vs 2017.  Watch his balance, his weight shift is all off in 2019, and he's throwing off balance, almost looks like Johnny Manziel (without Johnny's happy hop when he was ready to throw).  He looked awful Monday night, the arm angle and release speed was really bad.  Is it just age?

Niners kept rolling even with another sloppy game.  At least 2-3 times a game Jimmy G throws a ball and you go "What the hell was that?".

Should be a good slate of games this week.  Niners  v Packers especially.

Add Reply

Likes (0)