The roughing call on Clay Matthews Jr. last night on the game winning TD drive for Seattle may have been the worst of this season, and there have been some terrible ones.  Directly affected the outcome of that drive, which ended up being the game winner. 

patespo1 posted:

The roughing call on Clay Matthews Jr. last night on the game winning TD drive for Seattle may have been the worst of this season, and there have been some terrible ones.  Directly affected the outcome of that drive, which ended up being the game winner. 

Agreed, that was a bad call and impacted the outcome of the game.

mneeley490 posted:

Like most games, there were some bad calls, and some bad non-calls. Matthews may not have deserved that particular call, but there was a blatant roughing earlier when Wilson was was flattened after being hit from behind that no ref seemed to notice.

To your point, the lack of consistency with the refereeing is what bothers me the most.  It's a billion dollar business, maybe they can afford full time referees?  

Watched Rams - Seahawks, Saints - Bucs, part of Packs - Cowboys, Colts - Chiefs, most of Niners - Browns.  Really miss the 6PM start time for MNF.

Yeah so that was not a great call on Matthews, but it was 1st and 10 and the Rams hadn't shown any ability to slow down the Hawks.  I figure 40-50 more calls like that that go against the Rams and their mojo should come back into equilibrium.  Wah.

The Rams are really a one hit wonder on defense.  Contain Donald, score 30+ points.  Hawks looked really good.  I think the criticism of their offense against the Saints was off the mark.  See below for details.

I tried to get glimpses of Bears-Raiders but really didn't see much.  I'm shocked the Raiders have won two games.

I'm guessing very few of you saw the Saints play.  You probably saw the 31-24 final and thought: "No big deal, back up QB vs a poor Buc team the Saints squeezed one out."  Only thing is that Bucs team is not a poor team.  Beating the Rams wasn't a fluke.  What you missed was a dominate defensive performance that was hidden by the final score. 

The Bucs scored one TD on a 20 yard drive after a fluke interception.  They scored another touchdown in garbage/clock kill time.  Take away that last clock kill drive and the Saints D gave up 174 yards in total offense.  That was to a team that had over 500 vs the Rams.

The last three weeks I've heard about bad play calling and being out of sync for the Seahawks and how the Cowboys couldn't get Dak and Zeke going because, well who knows.  The Saints have one of the best defenses in the league.  You all missed it.

The Pack - Boys game really didn't hold my attention.  The Pack defense is good after all.  The bottom line was the suck line:

Rogers - 0 Int, 2 sack, 0 fumbles, 1 scramble ( I added the unplanned run as a suck)

Prescott - 3 Int, 3 sacks, 0 fumbles, 4 scramble

That's a lot of drives Dak killed.

Reports of the Colts death were premature.

Reports of the Chiefs having a defense were dead wrong.

Humm - What to say.  Those dog pound guys have sensitive feelings and all.  I got the Chargers completely wrong if that makes you feel any better.  Browns do still get the Fins, Broncos, Cardinals, Bengals twice and QB-less Steelers twice.  That's 7 games against teams with 3 wins right now.  They really only need to beat one good team to finish 10-6

There's something big going on in the NFL.  It's on the defensive line.  IF you can bring pressure with 4 guys, and you have depth to rotate in 6 or more guys on the line with no drop off, you're going to win games.  No blitzing linebackers needed, no superstar hybrids, just 4 guys bringing it.  Saints 4-1, Niners 4-0.

I'm picking grapes most of the weekend so I probably won't see much in week 6.

patespo1 posted:
mneeley490 posted:

Like most games, there were some bad calls, and some bad non-calls. Matthews may not have deserved that particular call, but there was a blatant roughing earlier when Wilson was was flattened after being hit from behind that no ref seemed to notice.

To your point, the lack of consistency with the refereeing is what bothers me the most.  It's a billion dollar business, maybe they can afford full time referees?  

I always hear the argument for full time referees when there is a poor call that matters in a game that matters.  We obviously don't have any data to confirm, but I never see how a guy not having a weekday job will make him a better official on the weekends. 

Clearly, there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding on where the route should take the receiver.   Given they are missing their 2nd tier receiver, their starting RB and pass-catching TE, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the rookie.   He's still an upgrade over Eli, and I like Eli.

csm posted:
patespo1 posted:
mneeley490 posted:

I always hear the argument for full time referees when there is a poor call that matters in a game that matters.  We obviously don't have any data to confirm, but I never see how a guy not having a weekday job will make him a better official on the weekends. 

I agree we don't have the data to back it, but I would hypothesize that full time referees could dedicate themselves during the week to watching film, working out to stay in better shape, having crew meetings, etc.   Again, the NFL can afford it.  The NBA and MLB have full time officials.  What would it hurt?

I saw a number of games (yes, including my Browns) yesterday that had terrible officiating.  And how the league can review some of these calls and not change/overturn them is beyond me.  

Rant over (for now). 

stefaniawine posted:

Some things I'll be watching through the first 4 weeks:

Will the Ravens get solid enough QB play to compliment their defense.? I think you can say the same about the Texans.

The Titans QB.  How long before that's a musical chairs?

How do the Browns start? They finally seem to recognize who not to hire as a coach, but all those late wins last year where against teams that had quit.

Speaking of quitting will the Falcons and Panther un-quit this year?

The Cowboys seem to understand where they are at with their salary cap situation, this has got to be the year they make a run.  They have a pretty easy schedule this year and if they don't start 3-0 something is really wrong.

Will the Chiefs play defense?  Will it matter?

I wish the Raiders and the Cardinals played this year.  The Shit Bowl.

Chargers.  That looks like the easiest schedule of the year for any good team.  13-3?

I think the 49ers will be much better.  The Saints will be all about staying healthy.  They have a tough schedule and no cap space to bring in help.  

Patio will be open all year for watching games.  First party is Sept 9th, I'm making Jambalaya.  Stop by if you're in town, and remember we don't know anything until after game 4.

Time to check in I guess.

Thursday night was my first "Why in the hell are you watching this crap game".  Watched the Niners and Saints on Sunday - Great defensive performances.  Late games I didn't really watch closely, too busy drinking beer and hanging out.

The Texans and Ravens have gotten good enough QB Play.

Titans = Week 6, I thought it would be sooner.

So far the best things about the Browns is they didn't keep WIlliams as coach or they might be 0-6 instead of 2-4.

Panthers no quit, Falcons quit.

Cowboys did go 3-0 but something is still really wrong.  Still they are in what could be the weakest division in the league and are a likely playoff team.

Chiefs - No defense, yes it mattered.

I missed how bad the Skins and Bengals would be, but really who though the Raiders would be 3-2?

Chargers - My worst swing and miss ever.  Looked like a rapper throwing out the first pitch.

Niners - Told you so, actually I thought top of the line for them was 10-6, which they still may land at.  Saints - Healthy hasn't even mattered.  Brees out, Kamara playing at 50% and they still won another game.

Tampa "depends on Winston making good decisions" and we do know how that turned out.

Bears still tracking at 8-8.  Only 2 easy games left on the schedule for them: NYG and LAC.  +6 in turnovers 1 DTD.

The patio will be closed this weekend.  I'll be at Coop's Place at Noon Central Time for a Bloody Mary and some Gumbo.  Watching the game across the street at 3 PM at B.B. King's.  We'll be on the second floor balcony if you find yourself in NOLA.  So far only Otisabdul has shown up from here to watch a game with me on the patio.  You guys are slackers .

bomba503 posted:
bomba503 posted:

Eagles are back in the mix. Dallas has faced the Eli Giants, Foreskins and Fins so far. With Dallas facing NO on the road, then GB and the J e t s jets jets jets next for us we could be tied for first in Nine days.

As I was saying

Looks like it will be a lost season for the Eagles. At Buffalo next.  

Thursday night I went to GW Fins.  It's always the best meal I have in NOLA.  Missed the entire game. 

Sunday the Falcons - Rams was on at Coops.  I'm sure that the chicken I ate had more will to live than the Falcons.  You have to fire that coach.  The team quit last year with 8 games left, and never competed this year.  Show up, try not to get hurt, get your check.  The reality is a total need to clean house, but you need to start on top.

B.B King's was a bust for the Niners game.  The bartender had a melt down over being out of Ginger Beer, no one seemed to know where the remotes were and we quickly headed across the street to Turtle Bay based on a recommendation from Fay at Coops.  Fay is never wrong on recommendations on where to go in New Orleans.  Turtle Bay was a great venue to watch then end of the Niners and the entire Saints game.

Powder Puff time is over for the Niners.  11 wins though would be better than I though the top end was for them this year and that's 5-5 the rest of the way.

Da Bears.  FREE BEER FOR ME.  It's actually worse than I thought.  The offense is so bad, you can see some quit starting to work it's way into the defense.  That effort was maybe 75% of what I saw early in the year.  They still have all 4 games against the NFC Least, but that offense is pitiful.  You know you didn't want to call Farve a bust after 31 games, cause you'd be wrong, but Trubisky is no Brett Farve.  He's also not an NFL caliber quarterback.  Chase Daniels is better.

Had dinner at the bar at Muriel's on Monday night.  I saw ghosts also, the ghost of Nathan Peterman.   If you're a Jets fan, that's a bad ghost to see.

Thursday night I was distracted by tapping a new beer at the neighbors.  He's got a three tap system.  You all really need to come visit out here, every neighbor has a barn or garage converted to a full bar.  The beer was the most interesting part of the game.

Sunday I was on a plane to San Diego for the first half of the morning games.  The good news was I parked myself in a sports bar in the Gaslamp and in edition to the Saints I got to catch a lot of the other early games in bits.  I don't think Drew Beees is 100%, but 60% vs the Cardinals is better than 30 of the 32 starting QB's in the league.   At 100% this is the best Saints team ever.

The Bills remind me of the Fins a couple years ago when I watched 3 games and the Fins went 7-9 and I couldn't figure out from what I watched how they ever won a game.  The Bills might still be a playoff team, but not one that can win a playoff game.

I didn't know if there were any Bolts fans left here until that kick went wide.  Turns out they still care about the Chargers in San Diego.  Pitiful performance by the Bears coaching staff.  They have less than zero confidence in their QB and offense.  I always felt a team deserved to lose if they took a knee and turned the game over to a kicker.  A kicker.  I mean you don't really even want that guy hanging out in the same locker room with you.  If you trust a kicker more than your QB, well your QB sucks.  "We don't want you to throw to Lattimore's side of the field no matter what, and we trust some guy whose name sounds like a spanish cuss word more than you" are not votes of confidence in your QB in back to back weeks.

I decided a nice Brickhouse stogie and a Belgian Double were more important for the afternoon game than tracking down a place to watch the Niners, so I saw the Raiders v Texans.  Really too bad about Watt because I thought that Texans team could sneak its way through a lot of playoff games with him leading the defense.  He's the one guy in the league I've ever seen Brees be really concerned with on every play.

I'm looking forward to Niners vs Seahawks.  That's going to be something to see.  I really had the Niners at 10-6 this year, now I'd say 12-4 is really possible.  Of course that also makes them a top candidate for a correction next year.  Right now they've turned around their +/- turnover ratio +27 I think.  Cam Jordan is a completely dominate force on defense.  Bosa is probably twice as good.  I think on Thursday you'll see just what a mistake Arizona made.

Packers shouldn't have let that Chiefs team hang around so long.  I think they're a step behind the Saints and Niners, both of whom would have put a choke hold on a back up QB led Chiefs team.

I'll give this to the FIns, there's no quit.  There's no talent, but there's no quit.  The Falcons are probably twice as good and they don't give a shit about playing football.  The Broncos have their ski lift tickets booked for the winter, The Bengals look like they'd even give up work-release privileges if they didn't have to show up on Sunday, but the Fins are playing hard.  That's more positive than I've seen from them in years, even when they were winning games (god knows how). 

Not sure who I'll watch this coming up Sunday.  Seems like I've got at least one from every team.  The powers finally back on at home after 4 days so I'm sure there will be the need for some down time on the patio.

Browns finished the 'tough' part of their schedule at 2-5 and looking inept.  Especially Freddie, who has made some of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.  That being said....I could easily see them going 7-2 in the back half of the schedule, and pushing for the division.  The best QB they play moving forward is Josh Allen of the Bills.  

If they don't win convincingly at Denver this weekend, though, season over.  

I love the unbridled enthusiasm from the Dog Pound.  The 'easy' part of the schedule has 5 teams with a better record and one with the same number of wins.  5-4 to finish 7-9 would be pretty damn good.  They really need to fix the discipline issue, which starts with the coach  2-5 teams can't give up 80 yards in penalties every week.  The offensive ones especially are destructive.  Puts Mayfield in situations where he's channeling Jamies Winston on second and long and third and long.  That's your killer right there.

The Old Man posted:

I don't know anything about football, but did the Spanos family do the right thing? The photo is really quite shocking.

Um, no.  I wasn't tuned in to the history of the Spanos ownership.  However like all franchise movement, it involves money, money, and more money.  If I can boil it down to one sentence, Spanos family told the city or county of San Diego to build us a stadium or we move.   The problem with Los Angeles is that it doesn't have a strong fan base.  The original Rams franchise moved to St. Louis in 1994, and Al Davis' Raiders, after moving to Los Angeles in 1982, relocated back to Oakland also in 1994.  Plus, if you lived on the other side of Los Angeles, it's probably faster for you to fly to Phoenix or San Jose and attend a Cardinals or Niners game, respectively.

The most underrated thing in football is smarts.  Pure and simple, you have to be really, really smart to play well at the top level.  It is the differentiation between greatness and waiver wire.  By the time you get to the NFL; every corner runs a 4.4-4.5, every receiver has an insane vertical jump, every d-lineman can chase down someone from behind not running at full speed, every RB was a star in college.

Anyone think Deandre Baker will be playing in this league in 3 years?  Anyone?  Every physical measure he has is better than Richard Sherman's right now, except Sherman is probably at least 30 IQ points higher than Baker.  Sherman will still be playing in the NFL after Baker is gone.

Why do the Giants have 2 wins?  The traded THREE draft choices to get a guy who doesn't know if a play call is zone or man.  Imagine the scorn a rookie QB would get 8 games in if he didn't know if a play was a run or a pass.  The problem with the Giants is stupid.  IT starts on top, stupid doesn't recognize stupid, it trades three draft choices for it.

With the Niners on Thursday and Saints on bye I got little bits of a lot of games.  Stefania hates it but I pretty much had the multi screen on the NFL package running all day Sunday. Couldn't seem to help myself in watching extended amounts of the Bears and Browns.

And that's all I'll say about those two teams.  No need to rub it in.

Flacco might be the worst team cancer since Cutler.  Remove him and a dead team comes back to life.

Tampa is my early pick for biggest turn around next year.  They need a DB or two and a QB who doesn't make stupid choices and they'll win 4-5 more games next year vs this year.  Not even a great QB, or even a good one, just a smart one.

That was the Chargers team I was expecting.

The Ravens - Patriots result wasn't really a surprise to me.  The Pats schedule had been laughably easy so far.  The Ravens have a great D and really they just need Jackson to not turn the ball over.

The Fins win also wasn't a surprise after watching them against the Steelers.  They play hard, don't quit, and that's all you really need to beat the Jets.  I wish I would have seen the Cowboys - Jets game because all I've ever seen from Darnold made me afraid of ghosts too.  He had a good game once I hear.  I missed it.  

I don't watch a lot of college ball, but I do remember not being very impressed by Darnold vs the hype he was getting.  I didn't see a superstar, I saw someone who made poor decisions as often as not and tried to force the ball in when he had better options.  I thought some team would over draft him.

And speaking of college ball I think the worst award mistake in history was giving the Heisman to some generic Alabama RB because the east coast voters couldn't stay awake to see the best college football player I've ever seen.  McCaffrey  was completely unstoppable in every part of the offensive game at Stanford. 

I was surprised he went as high in the draft as he did because his game is running between the tackles and he's 30 pounds lighter than most NFL backs who run up the middle.  Kudos to the Panthers for taking a chance.  He's been better than every player taken before him, and the players behind him who have had a big impact the Panthers didn't really need.

Saints v the Deadbirds at 10AM and I'm actually thinking I'll take the day off Monday so I don't miss any Hawks v Niners.  Really excited to watch that game.

Paul - I agree as to the Dolphins - not sure if they will ultimately regret winning but I will say for Flores - he has them trying generally.  Obviously the personnel is too weak to compete against any real time over the course of a game - but they do seem to have effort at least

Add Reply

Likes (0)