stefaniawine posted:
bomba503 posted:

Witten was a mess and lost on camera. ...

He was fun in a Joe Theismann, what the hell is he talking about, did he really just say that, can he be that dumb way.  "You can't put up points in this league unless you score."  Joe Theismann.

The thing that drove me crazy was he would always look at the other person in the booth when speaking and I never felt like he was addressing the audience. It was uncomfortable to watch

Things are rolling now.  I caught a little preseason action. 

When is it too soon to start picking on Gruden?  I mean pretty much a blindfolded drunk monkey throwing darts at a roster list would be better for picking out talent right?

Cowboys are in the crunch I predicted last year but playing it much smarter than I thought they would.  Elliot in Cabo all year really isn't going to hurt them and it sounds like they are playing tough with Prescott.  

I think the 49ers are the team most likely to have a huge turnaround and the Cardinals are the very definition of why relegation would be a good thing for the NFL. 

stefaniawine posted:

Things are rolling now.  I caught a little preseason action. 

When is it too soon to start picking on Gruden?  I mean pretty much a blindfolded drunk monkey throwing darts at a roster list would be better for picking out talent right?

Cowboys are in the crunch I predicted last year but playing it much smarter than I thought they would.  Elliot in Cabo all year really isn't going to hurt them and it sounds like they are playing tough with Prescott.  

I think the 49ers are the team most likely to have a huge turnaround and the Cardinals are the very definition of why relegation would be a good thing for the NFL. 

I think Dak is a very average QB without Zeke to take the pressure off of him.  I wouldn't give him the $ he is looking for, $40/million per ?  Crazy talk.

Most excited I've been for a Browns season since the Bernie Kosar days, I hope they don't let me down.  

billhike posted:

This is the first time I’ve been excited about the Bears since before the Jay Cutler era.

Bears were +12 in turnovers last year with no recent history of being a plus team.

Bears lead the league in defensive touchdowns (6), a stat that is largely luck and not repeatable.

Bears go from playing a last place schedule to a first place schedule.

Those are three of the biggest predictors of poor performance relative to the previous season I've found.  That's a bad combo for the Bears.  It's almost exactly the same combo as the 2017/18 Jacksonville Jags. (10/7/worst to first schedule)  I predicted the Jags last year as no better than 8-8.  Finished 5-11. 

The Schedule thing is a killer.  Last year they had seven, 7, count them 7 games against out of division sad saps.  This year they've got 2.

If the Bears make the playoffs this year beer is on me for my net Chicago visit.  Confident I wouldn't be buying.

stefaniawine posted:
billhike posted:

This is the first time I’ve been excited about the Bears since before the Jay Cutler era.

Bears were +12 in turnovers last year with no recent history of being a plus team.

Bears lead the league in defensive touchdowns (6), a stat that is largely luck and not repeatable.

Those are three of the biggest predictors of poor performance relative to the previous season I've found.  That's a bad combo for the Bears.  It's almost exactly the same combo as the 2017/18 Jacksonville Jags. (10/7/worst to first schedule)  I predicted the Jags last year as no better than 8-8.  Finished 5-11. 

The Schedule thing is a killer.  Last year they had seven, 7, count them 7 games against out of division sad saps.  This year they've got 2.

If the Bears make the playoffs this year beer is on me for my net Chicago visit.  Confident I wouldn't be buying.

Hopefully that visit is soon!

Khalil Mack basically had no training camp last year - same with Roquan Smith. I can see six defensive TD's with this team easily, to be honest. 

Yeah, the schedule is a serious challenge. If Trubisky can progress and gain some consistency, I'm optimistic what he can do with some additional weapons they picked up. No blockbusters but nice pieces that can be rotated and kept fresh if they aren't selfish. 

Unfortunately, locally we are still talking way too much about f***ing kickers. 

billhike posted:
stefaniawine posted:
billhike posted:

Hopefully that visit is soon!

Khalil Mack basically had no training camp last year - same with Roquan Smith. I can see six defensive TD's with this team easily, to be honest. 

Yeah, the schedule is a serious challenge. If Trubisky can progress and gain some consistency, I'm optimistic what he can do with some additional weapons they picked up. No blockbusters but nice pieces that can be rotated and kept fresh if they aren't selfish. 

Unfortunately, locally we are still talking way too much about f***ing kickers. 

That's an even easier bet.  Three teams have had 6 in the past 5 years.  The high in the past 5 years is 6.  If I was making book I'd say it's well over 100 x 1 they will have 6 or more again this year.  I think more than 50 x 1 they'd have 3 or more.  Last time they had 6 (2013) they had 1 the following year. 

It's just a stat that doesn't really correlate to anything very closely.  Teams that lead the league tend to be good defensive teams, but good defensive teams can fall anywhere from 1-30 in the rankings for DTD's.  Bad defensive teams can also be at the top, or at the bottom.  When stats show that lack of pattern over a small base, they tend to average back to the middle year over year.  If the league average is 2, the odds are any team, no matter how their defense ranks, will get 2. 

Takeaway +/- show the same pattern of correcting back to a team median.  IF a team averages 5 a year over a few years and then has 10, the next year they are more likely to have 5 than 10.  This one actually took me awhile to figure out because the correction is not back to 0 or even but back to the level the particular team usually performs at.

The 49ers have been a bad +/- team since 2014, averaging about -4, but last season they were -25.  Odds are this year they will be @ -4.  Still not in the top half of the league, but the change will be dramatic on the outcome of games.  The Bears will move the other direction. They've also been about -4 although they've had some horrible -20 seasons also.  Odds are this season they will be right around -4.

Some things I'll be watching through the first 4 weeks:

Will the Ravens get solid enough QB play to compliment their defense.? I think you can say the same about the Texans.

The Titans QB.  How long before that's a musical chairs?

How do the Browns start? They finally seem to recognize who not to hire as a coach, but all those late wins last year where against teams that had quit.

Speaking of quitting will the Falcons and Panther un-quit this year?

The Cowboys seem to understand where they are at with their salary cap situation, this has got to be the year they make a run.  They have a pretty easy schedule this year and if they don't start 3-0 something is really wrong.

Will the Chiefs play defense?  Will it matter?

I wish the Raiders and the Cardinals played this year.  The Shit Bowl.

Chargers.  That looks like the easiest schedule of the year for any good team.  13-3?

I think the 49ers will be much better.  The Saints will be all about staying healthy.  They have a tough schedule and no cap space to bring in help.  

Patio will be open all year for watching games.  First party is Sept 9th, I'm making Jambalaya.  Stop by if you're in town, and remember we don't know anything until after game 4.

patespo1 posted:
doubled posted:

Haha ... colts have a good D.  One less playoff team in the mix.  Christmas for some teams like the Texans, Titans, Steelers, Ravens, Jets.

You forgot the Browns Dom, one less team for them to eliminate on their way to the Super Bowl!

I expect the Browns to win the division.  Steelers would be the one fighting for the wildcard.

stefaniawine posted:

I nominate Nathan Peterman.  With all his drama and baggage Brown is at least an NFL caliber player.

Peterman is like having the coaches son in Little League as your starting pitcher and having to stand in the outfield while he walks in runs until the mercy rule hits.

My interpretation of the award includes a high asshole factor. Sticking with my pick.

Week One thoughts on games I watched:

Any other takers from Chitown on that bet?  Because I'm feeling 8-8 might be a stretch after watching that stink turd of an 'offensive performance'.  I doubt the Packers defense suddenly turned into a top 5 team, but will be interesting to watch them this year.

Eli Manning really is a sad figure at this point.  

Chargers - Colts was a better game than I expected.  Chargers 13-3 is still in the cards.

WTF with the Lions?  The Cardinals should be battling the Dolphins and the Giants for #32 in the power rankings.  Are they really that bad bman?  I don't get to see them very often.

Well - you know, all that stuff I said about the Bears and how it relates to the other turn around teams.  That all applied to the Browns also except the 1st place schedule (they have a 3rd place schedule), so no surprises there for me.  Our Browns fans here are a little sensitive so I didn't want to be the one poking them in the eye balls.  The Bears fans can take that.  It is a weak division and who knows what Pittsburg will play like the rest of the season, but I don't see any playoff team in Clevelend.

49ers win the turnover battle, win the game.  The run defense was really suspect and Jimmy G didn't look great, but this team still just needs to get the turnover ratio under control to win 5 more games than last year.

Tampa - Winston - Uber is hiring.

Steelers - Patriots - Dud

Texans - Man if Watson could learn to check down or make some reads he has a hell of an arm.  He's not going to play 8 games this year though getting sacked and beat up like that.  Texans are going to be an all or none team all year long is my guess.  They win by 20, or loss by 20 and the only thing in between is when they lose games by 2 they should have won.

Who are these Raiders and when did Carr get so much better?  Or is that just the Broncos sucking?  We will have to see.

Right now is when Patton does his first week yelling at his Defensive Coordinator to get his shit together.  At least this Tuesday follows a win.  That was a heck of a game.

Nice read as always Paul.  It’s always difficult to assess how good or bad a team is when the score is so lobsided.  Pretty safe to say that Miami will have the number 1 pick next year.  Giants looked bad, but they have some players and actually looked good for about 5 minutes.  

Seahawks eeked out a sloppy win against the Bengals last Sunday. Cincinnati is supposed to have the worst defense in the league, but they managed to sack Wilson at least 6 times. I would say it doesn't look good against Pittsburg next Sunday, except for the epic shellacking they got from New England, so maybe we'll see 2-0. 

robsutherland posted:

Bills at 2-0 is a surprise. I think I'm 16-2 in games I've attended (yearly boy's week-end) so they'll win at least 3 games this year. 

Bills have won 6 in a row if you count preseason. Start planning the parade! 

doubled posted:
irwin posted:

Ben Roethlisberger:  Out for the year...Needs elbow surgery.

Drew Brees:  Out for 6 weeks or so...Needs thumb surgery.

On the other hand, Lamar Jackson looks like the real deal.  

Jackson played the Dolphins and Cardinals, so I'm not ready to anoint him yet.  But he has looked improved.

It's amazing, the Browns Won, and Won by 20, and I was disappointed with how they looked.  Weird feeling after watching them go through 1-31 not so long ago. 

I watched some duds this weekend - Tampa - Carolina (best game I saw, which tells you something), Niners - Bengals, Rams - Saints, Browns - Jets.

You do need 4 full games to learn anything.  Sure Jackson has been good but as pointed out he did it against a team I'd rank 31 of 32 and one I'd rank 48 of 32, accounting for the 15 or so college teams and one or two high school teams that could beat the Miami Fishkill.  Going for the first choice in the draft is only a good plan if you've ever shown the ability to draft by the way.

I learned that Tampa has a better defense than I gave them credit for.  I put the Niners struggles up to poor offensive execution, but Carolina had worse problems.  Carolina also had trouble stopping the Tampa run, so I'd say they have a good running game.  Success for them will come down to Winston making good choices.  So in the end, they're still doomed.

I don't think the Niners offense is that good, the Bengals just stunk.  It reminded me of the Saints vs Bills wooping a few years ago that lead to the infamous decision to start Peterman.  Their defense is that good.  They bring pressure with a four man rush and rotate 8 guys keeping them all fresh.  You don't want to be down 10 points to the Niners in the 4th, it's unhealthy for your QB.

Given what I saw from the Steelers and Bengals, the Ravens could could go 3-3 in their remaining non-division games and finish 12-4.

What a let down in the Rams - Saints game.  Teddy Bridgewater literally has at least 50 million in guarantee money riding on how he plays over the next 6 weeks, and so far he's pissing it away.  The Rams defense is one guy, and that's a hell of a guy.

Yeah - You're playing a 3rd string QB, walk on, undrafted, passed on waivers and signed as a free agent QB, then that wasn't a great performance by the Browns.  They basically won on two big plays against a team that could not make one average play.  Mayfield has a dangerous tendency to hang his balls high and expose his receivers to all kinds of terrible hits.  If the Browns hit game 8 at 4-4 or anything less than 6-2 I think those receivers at best will start to get alligator arms.  At worse they are on IR or dead.

You saw one play last night that summed up why I've thought Gregg Williams is a total fucking moron, going back to his Saints days.  Booger called it as it happened: "Williams is dialing up a blitz, he likes to bring pressure inside the 50".  Yeah and the TV announcer spotted it, a guy on his patio in Gilroy spotted it and Baker Mayfield spotted it.  Great work Gregg.  And next time you draw up a blitz anyone on any easy chair in America can see is coming, how about covering the most dangerous freaking receiver in the league with, I don't know, one guy maybe?  Moron.

Still waiting on more Chitown takers on that bet.

On to week 3!

thistlintom posted:

Article in WSJ claims the Dolphins are tanking in order to get future picks and create a good team in the future.  They have traded away good players to get future picks.  This must make Dolphin season ticket holders happy.

Typical action.  Worst management & owner in the league.  Nice stadium, but what a waste.

Mariota had a horrific performance.  23 completions on 55 drop backs, 9 sacks.  9.  There wasn't a single play I saw where he did the "see it, believe it, throw it", you're supposed to .  See it, doubt it, hold it, sack.  He's completely broken and I've got to believe Tannehill  is a better option.

The only thing I can see holding the Jags back is Fournette.  Take away his longest pass (9 yards) and the 69 yard run in garbage time and he's 14 carries for -3 yards and 5 catches for 17 yards.  That's 19 touches for 14 yards.  IT's the equivalent of having your rookie QB take a knee on first down every time so he can throw from 2nd and 11 each time.   No sane person would do that, but that's what the Jags coaches are doing on every drive.

The Jags coaches and front office though has never shown any indication that they can figure that out and get rid of the guy.  He's the exact and I mean exact same player as Jeff Wilson on the 49ers.  Good on the goal line, don't want to counton his blocking in the pass game, catches ok but little RAC.  Low yards per carry.  Wilson was an undrafted free agent and is currently 4th on the Niners depth chart.  He comes in on goal line and garbage time.

Some of the worst end of the game coaching I've seen, and that says a lot, for the Browns last night.  

Run a draw play on 4th and 9 in Rams territory?  Then on the following drive, get to the Rams 4 yard line, first down, 3 time outs, and 40 seconds left and you don't try to run the ball once?  

The Browns defense holds the Rams to 20 points, played their hearts out, and the coaching and Offensive Line do nothing to help them out. 

Not ready to throw in the towel yet, but that was a terrible 4th quarter. 

I got to watch about half of the Ravens game and all of the Browns.  Here's the thing about young QB's, they all have issues.  It's really about fixing the issues.

Lamar Jackson has exactly the same problems as Kaepernick has/had except unlike Kap he seems to have a basic understanding of his playbook and the formations that are in it.  He's also not completely befuddled every time he comes up to the line and looks at a defense.  He has no touch, he locks on to parts of the field, he never looks anyone off, he holds the ball too long and deadliest of all under pressure he turns his back and and tries to loop back to escape.  He never steps up or around in the pocket, and when he does it's not natural, he goes to a spot and the defense knows that spot.

Kap never fixed any of those things.  Never.  Once teams adjusted he was a very ineffective QB.  Jackson's future is about making those adjustments.  Teams have enough film on him now to  punish those mistakes and I saw the Chiefs, who don't have a good defense, well prepared for his flaws, especially the turn the back one.

Mayfield is completely predictable, If he doesn't get the ball out in under 2.2 seconds he rolls right.  The end of that game, the Rams were perfectly prepared for him.  They played a defense loaded with coverage to the right so no one broke open in under 2 seconds.  They went man on man single coverage on the left and brought left side pressure to force him to roll.  They basically set the defense up to do exactly what they know he is comfortable doing and then shut it down with a swarm of defenders on the right side in coverage.  It's tough to win in the NFL playing on 1/2 a field.  

The right read when you see single man on man coverage with no safety help on the left side is to drop back, step up in front of the pressure and throw the fade to the 1x1 receiver.  You'e going to get hit and you need a receiver who can go up for the ball, which the Browns have.  The thing is he never even looked left.

That roll to the right works in college ball where there is just not the depth of talent in the defensive backfield. With the additional 4-5 seconds of time a college defense will break down on the roll and you'll get a completion, even taking 1/2 the field out of play.  Mayfield is basically doing what he learned worked.

That's a serious flaw, and a common one.  Joe Montana had it.  It was his most famous play, and then Bill Walsh spent a couple of years trying to get him to stop doing it.  Drew Brees had it also.  So that's hopeful for Browns fans, Montana and Brees physically and skill set wise are pretty close to Mayfield.

Then again every SEC quarterback since Ken Stabler, not named Manning, has had the same flaw, and none of them have won a Super Bowl.

Chargers look like my swing and miss this year.  Bridgewater made himself $5 million, he's got 15-20 million on the line Sunday.  49ers found both new and repetitive ways to give the ball away and still won.  Not a good sign for the Steelers. I need to see another Lions game.  I wrote them off letting the Cardinals back in the game, and there might be more there.

My Raiders question was answered.  No Carr and the Raiders didn't magically get better, the Broncos just suck.

I'm not excited by the Giants new QB because they have the same coaches and front office.  "You can't fix stupid."  I was glad to see Case Keenum playing again, because let me tell you he sucked working as the check out guy at Home Depot.  I mean you think he's a bad QB you should see him work a cash register.  

And one last bit of breaking news.  I have this exclusive photo of the Dolphins coaching staff looking for players to round out the team:

https://si.wsj.net/public/reso...D_20100906194652.jpg

Excellent notes as always Paul. 

I like the Minkah trade for the Steelers even though they gave up their first round pick for 2020.  I don't think they will be bad enough to be in the Top 10 pick anyway.  I see the Bottom 6: Miami, NY Jets, Cincinnati, Washington, Denver, Arizona,   I think Oakland, Titans, NY Giants, Falcons, and Tampa will have worse records by the end of the season.

What is truly sad is that Miami looked much better for that first half - only being down 10-6 and really should have been winning.  Then the second half happened and they looked normal.    31-6 a good result for them this season.

Other question is how given they suck every year do they always end up having a hard schedule (I know they are in the Pats division but . . .) - Their opponents are 8-1 (granted they each got the gimme win of playing Miami).

Watched Packers - Eagles, 1/2 Pats - Bills (With Otisabdul and his dad), 3/4 of Bears-Vikings, Saints - Cowboys, most of Steelers - Kittens.

Week four you finally get some real insight.  Everyone new the Fins would be stinkers but now it's clear the Broncos, Bengals and Redskins are the bottom feeders.  Some that we thought would be bottom feeders like Tampa and the Giants won't be.  Tampa's got a good team, I saw that against the Niners.

Packers look the best they have in years.  First Eagles game I've seen and they seem to be their own worst enemy with penalties and turnovers.  They could have had 5 face mask penalties.

Bills defense is really good.  Allen was completely over matched and to me undisciplined.  He had that young QB must make big plays mentality and it was his undoing.  It was great to hang out with Otis.

Chase Daniels is a better quarterback than Trubisky.   That's an epic defense, but they need an offense that can keep them from facing 15-20 possessions a game.  That's when luck and big plays start to work against a good defense.

The most memorable thing about the MNF game was, well nothing.

The Saints defense I would have not ranked above the Cowboys, but they won the game.  Teddy Bridgewater earned 10 million or so.  He outplayed Prescott, and if you're a Cowboys fan you should have severe anxiety about paying him 30+ million a year and wrecking your salary cap for the next 5 years.  

It was interesting though to watch Teddy's reaction to his terrible error on 3rd down of turning his back.  You could see he knew that was a stupid mistake the minute he made it, and he was still beating himself up over it post game.  It was the first thing he talked about.  I think, and think not know, that's the impact of practicing with Brees and Payton.  He's learned how to be a QB, what the mistakes are to avoid, game management, reads, all the tough stuff.  He's not executing everything right now, but he KNOWS what he's supposed to do.  There's no need for a  coach to yell at him on the sidelines, he knows exactly what and why he should have done.

This year I've seen Allen screamed at (for good reason), Trubisky coddled, Mariota oblivious and a host of young QB's make the same mistakes over and over again.  I think we saw Bridgewater turn his back for the last time.  That's why I think Chase is a better option for the Bears.  He's not going to win any games for you single handed, but he knows that and he knows exactly what he's supposed to do with the tools he has.

Big game for the Saints and especially the 49ers this week.  Should be fun.

Dallas finally played a team outside the bottom 5, zeke got shut down and Dak showed his talent level when he lacks an effective run game. I knew that was coming. Eagles still working through injuries and integrating personal. Seasons are won and lost in November. Let's see what they look like then.

Trubisky sucks. Goff is merely average. NO doesn't scare me without Brees. SF hasn't been tested yet, this week is potentially they're first test though the Browns are so unpredictable. No one scares me in the NFC this year. If we can stay healthy we have a real shot again.

The roughing call on Clay Matthews Jr. last night on the game winning TD drive for Seattle may have been the worst of this season, and there have been some terrible ones.  Directly affected the outcome of that drive, which ended up being the game winner. 

patespo1 posted:

The roughing call on Clay Matthews Jr. last night on the game winning TD drive for Seattle may have been the worst of this season, and there have been some terrible ones.  Directly affected the outcome of that drive, which ended up being the game winner. 

Agreed, that was a bad call and impacted the outcome of the game.

mneeley490 posted:

Like most games, there were some bad calls, and some bad non-calls. Matthews may not have deserved that particular call, but there was a blatant roughing earlier when Wilson was was flattened after being hit from behind that no ref seemed to notice.

To your point, the lack of consistency with the refereeing is what bothers me the most.  It's a billion dollar business, maybe they can afford full time referees?  

Watched Rams - Seahawks, Saints - Bucs, part of Packs - Cowboys, Colts - Chiefs, most of Niners - Browns.  Really miss the 6PM start time for MNF.

Yeah so that was not a great call on Matthews, but it was 1st and 10 and the Rams hadn't shown any ability to slow down the Hawks.  I figure 40-50 more calls like that that go against the Rams and their mojo should come back into equilibrium.  Wah.

The Rams are really a one hit wonder on defense.  Contain Donald, score 30+ points.  Hawks looked really good.  I think the criticism of their offense against the Saints was off the mark.  See below for details.

I tried to get glimpses of Bears-Raiders but really didn't see much.  I'm shocked the Raiders have won two games.

I'm guessing very few of you saw the Saints play.  You probably saw the 31-24 final and thought: "No big deal, back up QB vs a poor Buc team the Saints squeezed one out."  Only thing is that Bucs team is not a poor team.  Beating the Rams wasn't a fluke.  What you missed was a dominate defensive performance that was hidden by the final score. 

The Bucs scored one TD on a 20 yard drive after a fluke interception.  They scored another touchdown in garbage/clock kill time.  Take away that last clock kill drive and the Saints D gave up 174 yards in total offense.  That was to a team that had over 500 vs the Rams.

The last three weeks I've heard about bad play calling and being out of sync for the Seahawks and how the Cowboys couldn't get Dak and Zeke going because, well who knows.  The Saints have one of the best defenses in the league.  You all missed it.

The Pack - Boys game really didn't hold my attention.  The Pack defense is good after all.  The bottom line was the suck line:

Rogers - 0 Int, 2 sack, 0 fumbles, 1 scramble ( I added the unplanned run as a suck)

Prescott - 3 Int, 3 sacks, 0 fumbles, 4 scramble

That's a lot of drives Dak killed.

Reports of the Colts death were premature.

Reports of the Chiefs having a defense were dead wrong.

Humm - What to say.  Those dog pound guys have sensitive feelings and all.  I got the Chargers completely wrong if that makes you feel any better.  Browns do still get the Fins, Broncos, Cardinals, Bengals twice and QB-less Steelers twice.  That's 7 games against teams with 3 wins right now.  They really only need to beat one good team to finish 10-6

There's something big going on in the NFL.  It's on the defensive line.  IF you can bring pressure with 4 guys, and you have depth to rotate in 6 or more guys on the line with no drop off, you're going to win games.  No blitzing linebackers needed, no superstar hybrids, just 4 guys bringing it.  Saints 4-1, Niners 4-0.

I'm picking grapes most of the weekend so I probably won't see much in week 6.

patespo1 posted:
mneeley490 posted:

Like most games, there were some bad calls, and some bad non-calls. Matthews may not have deserved that particular call, but there was a blatant roughing earlier when Wilson was was flattened after being hit from behind that no ref seemed to notice.

To your point, the lack of consistency with the refereeing is what bothers me the most.  It's a billion dollar business, maybe they can afford full time referees?  

I always hear the argument for full time referees when there is a poor call that matters in a game that matters.  We obviously don't have any data to confirm, but I never see how a guy not having a weekday job will make him a better official on the weekends. 

Clearly, there was a miscommunication or misunderstanding on where the route should take the receiver.   Given they are missing their 2nd tier receiver, their starting RB and pass-catching TE, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the rookie.   He's still an upgrade over Eli, and I like Eli.

csm posted:
patespo1 posted:
mneeley490 posted:

I always hear the argument for full time referees when there is a poor call that matters in a game that matters.  We obviously don't have any data to confirm, but I never see how a guy not having a weekday job will make him a better official on the weekends. 

I agree we don't have the data to back it, but I would hypothesize that full time referees could dedicate themselves during the week to watching film, working out to stay in better shape, having crew meetings, etc.   Again, the NFL can afford it.  The NBA and MLB have full time officials.  What would it hurt?

I saw a number of games (yes, including my Browns) yesterday that had terrible officiating.  And how the league can review some of these calls and not change/overturn them is beyond me.  

Rant over (for now). 

stefaniawine posted:

Some things I'll be watching through the first 4 weeks:

Will the Ravens get solid enough QB play to compliment their defense.? I think you can say the same about the Texans.

The Titans QB.  How long before that's a musical chairs?

How do the Browns start? They finally seem to recognize who not to hire as a coach, but all those late wins last year where against teams that had quit.

Speaking of quitting will the Falcons and Panther un-quit this year?

The Cowboys seem to understand where they are at with their salary cap situation, this has got to be the year they make a run.  They have a pretty easy schedule this year and if they don't start 3-0 something is really wrong.

Will the Chiefs play defense?  Will it matter?

I wish the Raiders and the Cardinals played this year.  The Shit Bowl.

Chargers.  That looks like the easiest schedule of the year for any good team.  13-3?

I think the 49ers will be much better.  The Saints will be all about staying healthy.  They have a tough schedule and no cap space to bring in help.  

Patio will be open all year for watching games.  First party is Sept 9th, I'm making Jambalaya.  Stop by if you're in town, and remember we don't know anything until after game 4.

Time to check in I guess.

Thursday night was my first "Why in the hell are you watching this crap game".  Watched the Niners and Saints on Sunday - Great defensive performances.  Late games I didn't really watch closely, too busy drinking beer and hanging out.

The Texans and Ravens have gotten good enough QB Play.

Titans = Week 6, I thought it would be sooner.

So far the best things about the Browns is they didn't keep WIlliams as coach or they might be 0-6 instead of 2-4.

Panthers no quit, Falcons quit.

Cowboys did go 3-0 but something is still really wrong.  Still they are in what could be the weakest division in the league and are a likely playoff team.

Chiefs - No defense, yes it mattered.

I missed how bad the Skins and Bengals would be, but really who though the Raiders would be 3-2?

Chargers - My worst swing and miss ever.  Looked like a rapper throwing out the first pitch.

Niners - Told you so, actually I thought top of the line for them was 10-6, which they still may land at.  Saints - Healthy hasn't even mattered.  Brees out, Kamara playing at 50% and they still won another game.

Tampa "depends on Winston making good decisions" and we do know how that turned out.

Bears still tracking at 8-8.  Only 2 easy games left on the schedule for them: NYG and LAC.  +6 in turnovers 1 DTD.

The patio will be closed this weekend.  I'll be at Coop's Place at Noon Central Time for a Bloody Mary and some Gumbo.  Watching the game across the street at 3 PM at B.B. King's.  We'll be on the second floor balcony if you find yourself in NOLA.  So far only Otisabdul has shown up from here to watch a game with me on the patio.  You guys are slackers .

bomba503 posted:
bomba503 posted:

Eagles are back in the mix. Dallas has faced the Eli Giants, Foreskins and Fins so far. With Dallas facing NO on the road, then GB and the J e t s jets jets jets next for us we could be tied for first in Nine days.

As I was saying

Looks like it will be a lost season for the Eagles. At Buffalo next.  

Thursday night I went to GW Fins.  It's always the best meal I have in NOLA.  Missed the entire game. 

Sunday the Falcons - Rams was on at Coops.  I'm sure that the chicken I ate had more will to live than the Falcons.  You have to fire that coach.  The team quit last year with 8 games left, and never competed this year.  Show up, try not to get hurt, get your check.  The reality is a total need to clean house, but you need to start on top.

B.B King's was a bust for the Niners game.  The bartender had a melt down over being out of Ginger Beer, no one seemed to know where the remotes were and we quickly headed across the street to Turtle Bay based on a recommendation from Fay at Coops.  Fay is never wrong on recommendations on where to go in New Orleans.  Turtle Bay was a great venue to watch then end of the Niners and the entire Saints game.

Powder Puff time is over for the Niners.  11 wins though would be better than I though the top end was for them this year and that's 5-5 the rest of the way.

Da Bears.  FREE BEER FOR ME.  It's actually worse than I thought.  The offense is so bad, you can see some quit starting to work it's way into the defense.  That effort was maybe 75% of what I saw early in the year.  They still have all 4 games against the NFC Least, but that offense is pitiful.  You know you didn't want to call Farve a bust after 31 games, cause you'd be wrong, but Trubisky is no Brett Farve.  He's also not an NFL caliber quarterback.  Chase Daniels is better.

Had dinner at the bar at Muriel's on Monday night.  I saw ghosts also, the ghost of Nathan Peterman.   If you're a Jets fan, that's a bad ghost to see.

Thursday night I was distracted by tapping a new beer at the neighbors.  He's got a three tap system.  You all really need to come visit out here, every neighbor has a barn or garage converted to a full bar.  The beer was the most interesting part of the game.

Sunday I was on a plane to San Diego for the first half of the morning games.  The good news was I parked myself in a sports bar in the Gaslamp and in edition to the Saints I got to catch a lot of the other early games in bits.  I don't think Drew Beees is 100%, but 60% vs the Cardinals is better than 30 of the 32 starting QB's in the league.   At 100% this is the best Saints team ever.

The Bills remind me of the Fins a couple years ago when I watched 3 games and the Fins went 7-9 and I couldn't figure out from what I watched how they ever won a game.  The Bills might still be a playoff team, but not one that can win a playoff game.

I didn't know if there were any Bolts fans left here until that kick went wide.  Turns out they still care about the Chargers in San Diego.  Pitiful performance by the Bears coaching staff.  They have less than zero confidence in their QB and offense.  I always felt a team deserved to lose if they took a knee and turned the game over to a kicker.  A kicker.  I mean you don't really even want that guy hanging out in the same locker room with you.  If you trust a kicker more than your QB, well your QB sucks.  "We don't want you to throw to Lattimore's side of the field no matter what, and we trust some guy whose name sounds like a spanish cuss word more than you" are not votes of confidence in your QB in back to back weeks.

I decided a nice Brickhouse stogie and a Belgian Double were more important for the afternoon game than tracking down a place to watch the Niners, so I saw the Raiders v Texans.  Really too bad about Watt because I thought that Texans team could sneak its way through a lot of playoff games with him leading the defense.  He's the one guy in the league I've ever seen Brees be really concerned with on every play.

I'm looking forward to Niners vs Seahawks.  That's going to be something to see.  I really had the Niners at 10-6 this year, now I'd say 12-4 is really possible.  Of course that also makes them a top candidate for a correction next year.  Right now they've turned around their +/- turnover ratio +27 I think.  Cam Jordan is a completely dominate force on defense.  Bosa is probably twice as good.  I think on Thursday you'll see just what a mistake Arizona made.

Packers shouldn't have let that Chiefs team hang around so long.  I think they're a step behind the Saints and Niners, both of whom would have put a choke hold on a back up QB led Chiefs team.

I'll give this to the FIns, there's no quit.  There's no talent, but there's no quit.  The Falcons are probably twice as good and they don't give a shit about playing football.  The Broncos have their ski lift tickets booked for the winter, The Bengals look like they'd even give up work-release privileges if they didn't have to show up on Sunday, but the Fins are playing hard.  That's more positive than I've seen from them in years, even when they were winning games (god knows how). 

Not sure who I'll watch this coming up Sunday.  Seems like I've got at least one from every team.  The powers finally back on at home after 4 days so I'm sure there will be the need for some down time on the patio.

Browns finished the 'tough' part of their schedule at 2-5 and looking inept.  Especially Freddie, who has made some of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.  That being said....I could easily see them going 7-2 in the back half of the schedule, and pushing for the division.  The best QB they play moving forward is Josh Allen of the Bills.  

If they don't win convincingly at Denver this weekend, though, season over.  

I love the unbridled enthusiasm from the Dog Pound.  The 'easy' part of the schedule has 5 teams with a better record and one with the same number of wins.  5-4 to finish 7-9 would be pretty damn good.  They really need to fix the discipline issue, which starts with the coach  2-5 teams can't give up 80 yards in penalties every week.  The offensive ones especially are destructive.  Puts Mayfield in situations where he's channeling Jamies Winston on second and long and third and long.  That's your killer right there.

The Old Man posted:

I don't know anything about football, but did the Spanos family do the right thing? The photo is really quite shocking.

Um, no.  I wasn't tuned in to the history of the Spanos ownership.  However like all franchise movement, it involves money, money, and more money.  If I can boil it down to one sentence, Spanos family told the city or county of San Diego to build us a stadium or we move.   The problem with Los Angeles is that it doesn't have a strong fan base.  The original Rams franchise moved to St. Louis in 1994, and Al Davis' Raiders, after moving to Los Angeles in 1982, relocated back to Oakland also in 1994.  Plus, if you lived on the other side of Los Angeles, it's probably faster for you to fly to Phoenix or San Jose and attend a Cardinals or Niners game, respectively.

The most underrated thing in football is smarts.  Pure and simple, you have to be really, really smart to play well at the top level.  It is the differentiation between greatness and waiver wire.  By the time you get to the NFL; every corner runs a 4.4-4.5, every receiver has an insane vertical jump, every d-lineman can chase down someone from behind not running at full speed, every RB was a star in college.

Anyone think Deandre Baker will be playing in this league in 3 years?  Anyone?  Every physical measure he has is better than Richard Sherman's right now, except Sherman is probably at least 30 IQ points higher than Baker.  Sherman will still be playing in the NFL after Baker is gone.

Why do the Giants have 2 wins?  The traded THREE draft choices to get a guy who doesn't know if a play call is zone or man.  Imagine the scorn a rookie QB would get 8 games in if he didn't know if a play was a run or a pass.  The problem with the Giants is stupid.  IT starts on top, stupid doesn't recognize stupid, it trades three draft choices for it.

With the Niners on Thursday and Saints on bye I got little bits of a lot of games.  Stefania hates it but I pretty much had the multi screen on the NFL package running all day Sunday. Couldn't seem to help myself in watching extended amounts of the Bears and Browns.

And that's all I'll say about those two teams.  No need to rub it in.

Flacco might be the worst team cancer since Cutler.  Remove him and a dead team comes back to life.

Tampa is my early pick for biggest turn around next year.  They need a DB or two and a QB who doesn't make stupid choices and they'll win 4-5 more games next year vs this year.  Not even a great QB, or even a good one, just a smart one.

That was the Chargers team I was expecting.

The Ravens - Patriots result wasn't really a surprise to me.  The Pats schedule had been laughably easy so far.  The Ravens have a great D and really they just need Jackson to not turn the ball over.

The Fins win also wasn't a surprise after watching them against the Steelers.  They play hard, don't quit, and that's all you really need to beat the Jets.  I wish I would have seen the Cowboys - Jets game because all I've ever seen from Darnold made me afraid of ghosts too.  He had a good game once I hear.  I missed it.  

I don't watch a lot of college ball, but I do remember not being very impressed by Darnold vs the hype he was getting.  I didn't see a superstar, I saw someone who made poor decisions as often as not and tried to force the ball in when he had better options.  I thought some team would over draft him.

And speaking of college ball I think the worst award mistake in history was giving the Heisman to some generic Alabama RB because the east coast voters couldn't stay awake to see the best college football player I've ever seen.  McCaffrey  was completely unstoppable in every part of the offensive game at Stanford. 

I was surprised he went as high in the draft as he did because his game is running between the tackles and he's 30 pounds lighter than most NFL backs who run up the middle.  Kudos to the Panthers for taking a chance.  He's been better than every player taken before him, and the players behind him who have had a big impact the Panthers didn't really need.

Saints v the Deadbirds at 10AM and I'm actually thinking I'll take the day off Monday so I don't miss any Hawks v Niners.  Really excited to watch that game.

Paul - I agree as to the Dolphins - not sure if they will ultimately regret winning but I will say for Flores - he has them trying generally.  Obviously the personnel is too weak to compete against any real time over the course of a game - but they do seem to have effort at least

Apparently the Chargers are considering moving to--England!

"Would the Chargers really move to London?

Such a move would be years away, but it’s hard to blame the NFL for considering such a drastic move. The Chargers’ migration from San Diego to Los Angeles has been an embarrassment for the league, as opposing fans repeatedly take over Dignity Health Sports Park, the 27,000-capacity soccer stadium the Chargers are using as a temporary home."

Moving a team to London won't happen without some serious tax reform in the UK.  For entertainers, like football players, the tax rate would be in the range of 75%.  Was listening to ESPN on the way into work this morning and they used Jared Goff's rookie contract as an example.  The contract was worth $28 million.  He would pay US taxes of $11 million, and additional UK tax of $12.5 million, meaning of his $28 million, he'd pocked only $4.5 million.  No way the union would approve of expansion or relocation without some tax reform, which would require an act of British Parliament.  Not happening any time soon.  

doubled posted:

So much for the upcoming easy schedule for the Browns.  🤷‍♂️

They pooped the bed, it's taken me a few days to recover.  Season over.  Going to the game next Thursday against Shitsburgh, they can salvage some pride with a couple of W's against their/our hated rival

Looks like my Eagles are exactly where I thought they'd be. Muddling through the season and needing to go 3-3 through a particularly brutal 6 game stretch. They are 2-2 through so far. The bye week comes at a perfect time as they need to get some guys healthy and desperately need some help at WR which they should be able to find over these two weeks. If they can take down NE or SEA at home they should be going to the post season party

On the Chargers I find it particularly funny to see LA Times readers citing the lack of LA support of the team. This is as much fake news as Fox puts out. The LA Times has always had it out for the Chargers particularly Bill Plaschke.

The reality is SD never truly supported this team either. I have been attending Charger home games since 1991 and was a season ticket holder at times. I never attended a single Chargers "Home" game where opposing fans didnt make up at least 1/3rd of the fans and often it was far worse at Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium.

I remember going to an Eagles v SD game several years ago at QCOM and buying 50 yd line plaza tickets (best in the house) a few weeks before the game for about face value. In most cities those kinds of tickets would never get resold. Fans would go or have family or friends to give them to. It would be extremely rare that they would be available at any price.

SD is a city of transplants. While they had some very loyal and devoted fans they never had enough to come close to filling a stadium with them on a regular basis. As a season tix holder during some of the worst seasons I remember not being able to give away two great tickets for FREE. Literally no one wanted to go! In contrast as a former Eagles season tix holder I remember going to sold out games in sub freezing temperatures during lousy seasons.  Its literally unheard of in most NFL cities to have a significant visiting contingency (lets say 10 to 20% of seating capacity for arguments sake) except down in Miami and perhaps Phx which are also a cities of transplants.

While not a Rams or Raiders fan they suffered and still suffer similar fates. LA like SD is also a city of transplants. Every game Ive ever been there also have had a large visiting fan attendance. The sad truth is in the warm climate glamour cities NFL football simply doesnt occupy the same esteemed place as it does elsewhere.

I remember reading one of the tipping points for the Rams owner moving the team in 1994 was her frustration that the only sell out every year in L.A. was against the 49ers and 60-80% of the crowd were 49er fans.  My Dad went every year, flying down and making a long weekend out of it.  He claimed it was over 90% 49er fans at the those games.  I don't know why anyone would think that would have changed over 25 years.

IT did have my conspiracy theory hackles up last year as the Rams had their way handed to them to the Super Bowl.  The NFL seemed to do everything possible, including stuffing yellow flags inside of jock straps no matter how bad the foul, to inspire some sort of local support for the Rams.  They failed.  A few weeks ago an LA Times Op-Ed blamed the NFL for the lack of fan support in LA. Imagine that?

The 'story' in the Athletic was complete crap.  The worst kind of blogging dressed up as journalism you can have.  Basically the story was one report heard from one guy in the NFL office that two guys in the office where talking about moving the Chargers.  Where's Indybob when we need him to explain how that's not a news story.  Then every other outlet around picked it up and basically their second source was each other.   It doesn't even qualify as news to then be classified as fake news.  IT's gossip.

The Spanos family is firmly rooted in Stockton CA, They're not leaving the state, and if I was a betting man I'd bet the Chargers end up in the East Bay or Sacramento eventually.   NFL teams will never be sold again.  They're cash cows and with the repeal of the inheritance tax there's no financial need for any family to ever sell again.  The owners you have now, are the owners you're always going to have.

The threat of moving a team to London will be the leverage used to get cities to pay for new stadia for the teams.  There simply aren’t many locations left in the US that can or will (LA) support an NFL franchise to be able to use a US city as leverage. 

bomba503 posted:

SW

Divorce and death not the least of them

Divorce, ok maybe.  Death?  The Hawks and Saints both survived their owners death with no threat to family control.  There was thought that Paul Allen's sister would sell the team but there's no sign that will happen.

Open mics catching ugly comments and dicks out in the office, that's the only way I see owners being forced to sell.

stefaniawine posted:
bomba503 posted:

SW

Divorce and death not the least of them

Divorce, ok maybe.  Death?  The Hawks and Saints both survived their owners death with no threat to family control.  There was thought that Paul Allen's sister would sell the team but there's no sign that will happen.

Open mics catching ugly comments and dicks out in the office, that's the only way I see owners being forced to sell.

It can be more complicated than you think. For example about 15 years ago I was in a dumpy sports bar around the corner watching my Eagles and saw an older couple looking for a place to sit with Eagles gear on. I invited them to join me. He was a retired banker from Philly. I became friends with them and over the years watched many games with them at that dumpy sports bar. I wondered why they kept coming and they said they just liked going there and getting out of the house. The wife passed several years ago, the bar shut down when BWW came to town and I hadnt seen them in a while. I bumped into him around town with his caregiver about 8 months ago. He was suffering memory loss and didnt know who I was. So why is this relevant you may ask? The team is worth close to $3B and he owns 10% of the Eagles. There is someone else out there that also quietly owns 10% and he has an ex-wife who owns a piece also. There are silent minority ownership stakes all over the league that could create a need to sell. There are lots of other things going on as well out there. Its not as simple as one guy/gal owning each team. 

I do know how complicated the ownership structures can be.  Few teams are owned outright.  Sale of minority shares isn't really what we were talking about with the Spanos family.  They have minority owners also, but the minority owners are not going to decide where to locate the team, the Spanos' are.

I was referring to your comment that "NFL teams will never be sold again.  They're cash cows and with the repeal of the inheritance tax there's no financial need for any family to ever sell again.  The owners you have now, are the owners you're always going to have." I have no idea what will happen with the Chargers but as a whole NFL teams will continue to change ownership the future

I was being a little bit of a smart ass.  When you hear people say the Bears, or Skins or Jets need to get sold, they're not getting sold no matter how poor the team performs.

In the last 5 years there have been two sales.  The Bills because the family could not cover the taxes, a factor that doesn't exist anymore, and the Panthers - see comment about dick out in office.

8 sold in the 12 years before that, but it's a much different league now than 2004 or 2012.  In reality if not for the dick thing, there has not been any sale in 5 years, which I bet is a record streak without doing the research.  I don't think that's a fluke, I think it's the new normal.  Yeah they'll get sold, but I'd bet it's one every 5-7 years for some reason tied to owner conduct, not 3-4 every 5 years like it was before 2012.  When they do get sold, they're going to get sold to people who will keep them right where they are and mind their instructions from the league office.

If the league was after owners who could revitalize a franchise and turn it into a winner, well Eddie D would have been invited back 10 years ago, and he's not being invited back ever.  That tells me revitalizing and turning around a franchise is not in the selection criteria for new owners.

I think a lot of the turnover was age related. It's not much different than my neighborhood. I'm here 20 years. Lots of people moved in, had babies and now that kids are off to college they are off somewhere else. In the NFL most of the original ownership from the modern era passed 80 and the sales increased. Look at franchises with aging ownership for the next flurry

A perfect quarterback rating in the NFL is 158.3.   You know how a perfect wine rating is 100? Well, wouldn't it make more sense to have a perfect QB rating be 100.  I mean, 158.3 is a pretty weird number.

Here is the gobbledygook from which the rating is derived:  (This is from Wikipedia) - If you get to the bottom of this without getting a headache then you are either a true football fan, a geek, a math genius, or seriously mentally ill.

"The NFL passer rating formula includes four variables: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdowns per attempt, and interceptions per attempt. Each of those variables is scaled to a value between 0 and 2.375, with 1.0 being statistically average (based on league data between 1960–1970). When the formula was first created, a 66.7 rating indicated an average performance, and a 100+ rating indicated an excellent performance.[3] However, passing performance has improved steadily since then and in 2017 the league average rating was 88.6.[4]

The four separate calculations can be expressed in the following equations:

a=\left[{{\text{COMP}} \over {\text{ATT}}}-.3\right)\times 5

b=\left[{{\text{YDS}} \over {\text{ATT}}}-3\right)\times .25

c=\left[{{\text{TD}} \over {\text{ATT}}}\right)\times 20

d=2.375-\left[{{\text{INT}} \over {\text{ATT}}}\times 25\right)

where

<dl><dd>ATT = Number of passing attempts</dd><dd>COMP = Number of completions</dd><dd>YDS = Passing yards</dd><dd>TD = Touchdown passes</dd><dd>INT = Interceptions</dd></dl>

If the result of any calculation is greater than 2.375, it is set to 2.375. If the result is a negative number, it is set to zero.

Then, the above calculations are used to complete the passer rating:

{\text{Passer Rating}}=\left[{a+b+c+d \over 6}\right)\times 100

A perfect passer rating (158.3) requires at least:[1]A minimum rating (0.0) requires at best:

77.5% completion percentage
12.5 yards per attempt
11.875% TD/ATT (1 TD/8.421ATT)
No interceptions

30.0% completion percentage
3.0 yards per attempt
No touchdowns
9.5% INT/ATT (1INT/10.526ATT)

I am not one to hijack sports threads for outside issues, but here goes.

Unless I have seriously missed something, and I doubt I have, estate taxes are still very much in place. While the personal exemption has been raised to around $5.5 million per person, thus $11 million per couple, that pales in comparison to the value of an NFL team. Now while there are numerous ways to mitigate the tax consequences, the estate tax is still a vital consideration on the sale of such an asset. The current estate tax law sunsets in 2025, so we have no idea what it will be then. Thus, the current ownership of NFL teams may indeed be affected by the estate tax.

Been an unusually chaotic week.  I usually write these on the train and have only been on the train once this week.  I got half the Raiders game, all the Saints, nothing in the afternoon, bits of the Cowboys and all the Niners.

We were very busy Sunday, I poured wine all afternoon, so not a bad thing.  We actually ran out of glasses.

This is the hardest part of the season to call for me if you break it down into quarters.  The first four games you're learning to separate hype from reality, or in the case of things like the Bears and Browns, see if you got it right or like the Chargers wrong.  The next 4 games are the easiest.  You know stuff then and generally everyone is playing with effort.

Now though games 9-12, anything can happen.  A so so team with a lot of motivation, facing a lot of teams with out motivation can fire off a string of wins, like the Browns did last year.  Go Dolphins.  You can also get a team that' s been dead all year wake up and realize the coach they love is going to get fired and they might end up with Pat Shurmer, or something.  Hello Falcons, where you been all year?

Teams don't take other teams serious and lay duds, and then some teams that you think have potential for a run start thinking more about their golf dates in January, like last years Panthers.  If you're a bettor, now is the time to keep your money in your pocket, save it for the playoffs.  Nothing will surprise me for the next few weeks.  Except maybe the Bengals winning.

I'll make an super early prediction here.  Check back in 5 years, but I think the Dolphins saved themselves a world of heartache with a couple wins.  I don't follow college ball that closely but the way the talent is lining up, and the hype and the likely draft order, I think you don't want those first two picks any more than you would have wanted them in 2015.

Last thing was that was a hell of a game as expected with the Niners.  I'll repeat myself though, it's not wide sprinter, wide jumper, wide route runner, it's wide FUCKING RECEIVER.  Why do teams keep drafting, and playing guys who can't catch a freaking football?

Last night I was running through a list of things that could be worse to watch; fat chick string bikini contest, old man naked mud wrestling, Kathy Lee Gifford, Frozen II, then all hell broke loose.

Two takeaways, Mason Rudolph doesn't look like a long term solution, his pocket work is really bad.  Second believe it or not was how completely undisciplined the Browns are and it's systemic through the team.  Then with 8 seconds left that became the most completely obvious observation all season.

I've watched three Browns games and the penalties I've commented on before as really holding them back.   Their coaching staff seems completely over matched by their own team.  Lots of blame to go around, but it should start on top.

I think Mason Rudolph will be a very good quarterback.  He has a learning curve to get over, but I wouldn't spend draft capital to find another QB.   Ju-Ju is a very good slot receiver but cannot stretch the field when there is double coverage; he was knocked out of the game in 2nd Qtr from a helmet-to-helmet hit.  The rest of the receivers are not very good.   There was no running game.   

stefaniawine posted:

Last night I was running through a list of things that could be worse to watch; fat chick string bikini contest, old man naked mud wrestling, Kathy Lee Gifford, Frozen II, then all hell broke loose.

Two takeaways, Mason Rudolph doesn't look like a long term solution, his pocket work is really bad.  Second believe it or not was how completely undisciplined the Browns are and it's systemic through the team.  Then with 8 seconds left that became the most completely obvious observation all season.

I've watched three Browns games and the penalties I've commented on before as really holding them back.   Their coaching staff seems completely over matched by their own team.  Lots of blame to go around, but it should start on top.

Freddie is terrible, though they've cleaned in up the last few weeks.  The helmet swing was a snap judgement that I don't put on Freddie however.  

It's a shame that their complete domination of their hated division rivals was overlooked by the fight.  

stefaniawine posted:

Not to mention why they refuse to give Chubb carries.  They could have drained the clock and won easier rather than letting Mayfield flail

It's a shame that their complete domination of their hated division rivals was overlooked by the fight.  

Congrats on beating the JV team -  JuJu and Conner out  for 2.5 and 3 quarters, respectively, and with the JV QB.  It was close until the last quarter.  Unable to convert on 3rd and 4th and short.  I'm sure it'll be a different outcome in a couple of weeks.  I'm Macdonald sure.

While Kitchens may know the x and os  of football, he has no clue on how to effectively run an organization. No guy with control of his team would ever have an incident like last night's melee. Garrett is always good for a couple of personal fouls per game so it is no surprise that he was a main character in a fight.

Agree that the Dolphins should try to win. Tua may be a good NFL QB, but may not be the franchise QB as previously thought (if for nothing else his fragile ankles). Burrow may be a better prospect. The one everyone should covet is 2021 and Trevor Lawrence.

Add Reply

Likes (0)