bman posted:
bomba503 posted:

for anyone but fans of these teams this years playoffs were a complete bust and snoozer. 

I have to disagree.  More than half the games ended with one team only a score ahead of the other, including two OT games.  And the Titans upset of the Ravens and that Houston/KC game were lots of fun to watch.

Fun to watch is one thing. Memorable classic battles another and we were cheated out of those. In ten or even five years no one will be talking about any of these games like they will the SF -NO (kittle carrying his teams hopes on his back at the end)  or SF-SEA (greenlaws epic Goal line tackle) games in the regular season among others. There just aren’t any great story lines or fantastic finishes thus far. In the end the right two teams are left IMHO and hopefully we’ll get a classic finish to the season

Last edited by bomba503
bomba503 posted:
bman posted:
bomba503 posted:

for anyone but fans of these teams this years playoffs were a complete bust and snoozer. 

I have to disagree.  More than half the games ended with one team only a score ahead of the other, including two OT games.  And the Titans upset of the Ravens and that Houston/KC game were lots of fun to watch.

Fun to watch is one thing. Memorable classic battles another and we were cheated out of those. In ten or even five years no one will be talking about any of these games like they will the SF -NO (kittle carrying his teams hopes on his back at the end)  or SF-SEA (greenlaws epic Goal line tackle) games in the regular season among others. There just aren’t any great story lines or fantastic finishes thus far. In the end the right two teams are left IMHO and hopefully we’ll get a classic finish to the season

Gotta disagree again, re the KC/Houston game at least.  I think people will be talking about that game years from now. 

And remember, one reason people talk about games years later and because they are memorable is because they are rare.  If there were two or three memorable games every playoff season then there would be too many too remember!

bomba503 posted:

Can't disagree with that. Was in Napa wine tasting and missed most of that game 😆

You were in a Sophie's Choice situation, I'm sure....

Both the Championship games were very boring, the Niners worse than the Chiefs.  In both cases the losing teams hung on to a grossly failing plan on defense long after it should have been abandoned.  

The Titans just refused to rush more than 4 in any situation.  I mean Blake Bortles could have won that game given the 5-9 seconds Mahomes had to look down field.  As the game got later, it got worse.  You could argue it was damned if you do, damned if you don't, but by the 3rd quarter the Titans should have known it wasn't working.

I actually felt pity for the announcers in the Niners game, it was that bad to watch.  The Packers remained 100% committed to stopping Samuels and Kittle from beating them in the middle of the field the entire time Mostert ran away with the game 8 yards at a time.  Even into the 4th quarter the Packers stayed in that 4-3 zone base with the linebackers 5 yards off the line.

They in effect neutralized the biggest risk for the Niners, and that was having the ball in Jimmy G's hands.   The Chiefs used 46 and 8 men in the box to stop Henry, daring Tannehill to beat them.  The first time I remember seeing the Packers run 46 was deep in the 4th quarter and as soon as Kittle caught a pass, they were back in the 3-4 Zone.  I think that was around the 8 minute mark in the 4th.

Maybe it's the curse of Belichick and that infamous 23-3 deficit.  He was all in on stopping Matt Ryan, let those Falcons run all they want, it's a strategy he uses all the time actually.  Just shut down one thing and stick with it until the other team implodes in hubris.  It's like a game of chicken, who is going to cave first.  Shanahan has the most famous cave in Super Bowl history, I don't think you'll ever see him get away from something working ever again.

Anyway I'm not hosting for the Super Bowl, so if you find yourself wine tasting around here, you're invited to my neighbor Todd's annual party.  It's a short walk from our house and I'm tending bar.  There are 5 beers lined up on tap and I do margaritas and manhattans.  It's going to be a Niners heavy crowd.  

Seems like the two issues for the Super Bowl will be can the Niners find a way to slow down Mahomes and can the Chiefs stop the Niners running attack.

Actually watching the Niners game GB had a man on the runner almost everytime and usually behind the line of scrimmage. They simply could not tackle well. Re watch the game and you will see an endless stream of missed first tackles. There was no one else there after that with the Packers  in that 4-3 zone base with the linebackers 5 yards off the line.

bomba503 posted:

Actually watching the Niners game GB had a man on the runner almost everytime and usually behind the line of scrimmage. They simply could not tackle well. Re watch the game and you will see an endless stream of missed first tackles. There was no one else there after that with the Packers  in that 4-3 zone base with the linebackers 5 yards off the line.

You know I always take that challenge.  The whole game isn't available yet but I did rewatch the highlight package:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9XORfw_bM

There's one single play where a Packer gets a single hand (while being blocked) on a 49er in the backfield.  Every other play in the highlights the Niner back is 8 yards downfield before contact.  Watch the position of the linebackers at 49 seconds of the 2nd and 4:48 of the third in particular.    They're 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

That's one strategy to beat Zone Run, you put the linebackers so far back that they can evade the blocks coming from the lineman releasing on their double teams.  If that was the plan, it was clear by the 2nd quarter it was a huge fail.

To beat Zone Run you must prevent the O-line from getting their initial double teams.  If they are forced to lock up 1 on 1 then it eliminates the peel back blocks and the release to the second level blocks.  Watch the KC-TN highlights for how the Chiefs handled Henry.  In running situations they were in the 46 defense or variations of the 46 all the time.

Since we're way down in the weeds here I thought I'd put up a couple links to explain what the hell it is we're talking about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Zone_blocking_scheme

https://bleacherreport.com/art...he-zone-running-game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

stefaniawine posted:
bomba503 posted:

You know I always take that challenge.  The whole game isn't available yet but I did rewatch the highlight package:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9XORfw_bM

There's one single play where a Packer gets a single hand (while being blocked) on a 49er in the backfield.  Every other play in the highlights the Niner back is 8 yards downfield before contact.  Watch the position of the linebackers at 49 seconds of the 2nd and 4:48 of the third in particular.    They're 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

That's one strategy to beat Zone Run, you put the linebackers so far back that they can evade the blocks coming from the lineman releasing on their double teams.  If that was the plan, it was clear by the 2nd quarter it was a huge fail.

To beat Zone Run you must prevent the O-line from getting their initial double teams.  If they are forced to lock up 1 on 1 then it eliminates the peel back blocks and the release to the second level blocks.  Watch the KC-TN highlights for how the Chiefs handled Henry.  In running situations they were in the 46 defense or variations of the 46 all the time.

Since we're way down in the weeds here I thought I'd put up a couple links to explain what the hell it is we're talking about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Zone_blocking_scheme

https://bleacherreport.com/art...he-zone-running-game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/46_defense

Whateverdude. When’s the Chi-town trip? 

Paul

Not disagreeing on the coverage schemes, I just remember watching the first half and seeing a guy in position to make an open field tackle. Perhaps they were conservative in their approach knowing they had no one behind them but I remember screaming over and over at open field tackles that were not made. Dont have the game recorded and wont be rewatching. Im ready for the Big One and dont really care who wins. Im just hoping we get a better game then we have thus far in the post season. Its been a snoozefest 

Last edited by bomba503

Maybe later this Spring.  I can always put you up here, just need about 30 days notice to make sure the airbnb is clear.

I'm hoping for a better game also.  Last year was painfully boring, maybe the greatest dud all time.  I'm recording the game so I can rewatch it.  I'm just hoping that being at the bar doesn't mean I get stuck with that terrible character the :"I don't like football and am only at this party to jibber jabber about things no one cares about while they try and watch the game."  You know that guy.

well at least the Super Bowl lived up to my expectations. It was a good game that was much closer than the final score. The Niners defense did a great job containing Mahomes most of the night. but for the garbage time touchdown they held them to 24 points which is quite impressive.

Offensively the Niners just didn’t have enough gas in the tank with essentially a journey man QB. I wanted to see the game come down to the last drive. Jimmy took the field with two minutes and the full array of timeouts but I knew it was pretty much over. Would’ve much preferred to see Mahomes take the field in that situation but I guess you can’t have everything.  

Congratulations to the Chiefs and nice to see Andy finally get a ring. Congrats to Shady McCoy also even though he was inactive for the game

patespo1 posted:

Niners and too many block pools cost me a nice bit of $ yesterday, but Shakira helped ease the pain. 

KC's last touchdown cost me money. 

Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo is 3-0 in Super Bowls - 2 with the Giants in 2008 and 2012 and 1 with KC.  

It was nice to see a good game that went down to near the very end.  The halftime show didn't do a lot for me, though it was nice to see Shakira shake her hips.

thistlintom posted:

It was nice to see a good game that went down to near the very end.  The halftime show didn't do a lot for me, though it was nice to see Shakira shake her hips.

Plus a cameltoe view.

I know I'm going to sound like my parents but watching it with my daughters and nieces who are 11 years old and under made it extremely cringe worthy. It was basically barely naked pole dancing? 

Last edited by mangiare

My 7 year old boy was mesmerized by the halftime show.  Face was saying, I like this, but I don't know why it seemed.  Took me back to when I was that age....

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.