NFL 2018

When did Super Bowl rings stop being rings and start being trophies? I know a couple of people with championship rings and they are wearable. Seems the trend over the past number of years they have become something so large and flashy I canโ€™t imagine wearing due to there sheer size. 

That said, Iโ€™m not a jewelry person in the least.... and watches are NOT jewelry? 

On the very first offensive play of the season the Texans turn the ball over on a fumbled exchange between the QB and RB.  As if it isn't hard enough to beat Brady and the Patriots, we basically give them a TD and lose the game.  Well, maybe next year............

irwin posted:

one of the big surprises from yesterday was that the Browns did not lose to Pittsburgh. The Browns have not won a game since Christmas Eve in 2016.  They still have not won, because the game yesterday ended in a tie.

Only the Browns could end their losing streak by not winning. 

patespo1 posted:
doubled posted:

Browns over the Saints this weekend.

If they had a kicker this would've happened.  Amazing how many different ways they find to lose, and amazing that I keep thinking they won't disappoint me one of these weeks.

The GM snoozed on not picking up Dan Bailey.  Browns D is very good.   I think theyโ€™ll win 3-4 games this year.

Credit for the Saints defense should go to Todd Monken.  He put in place a scheme to isolate Lattimore using motion and crossing routes and press the Saints deep.  Last year the leagues reaction to Lattimore was to not throw at him at all (Bears had one pass play to his side of the field in the game last year).  The Browns copied it the next week, but Taylor is no Fitzpatrick it would seem.

Dennis Allen isn't the brightest candle in the opera, not surprised he has figured out a counter yet in two games, but he eventually seems to.  The Saints should always play high risk defense and Allen just hasn't done it this year yet.  I suspect his conservative play calling eventually gets beat down my Payton's relentless nagging and he finally complies, happened in week three last year.

Don't know what to make of the Browns.  Easy to say they could be 2-0 with a good kicker, but then they are plus six in turnovers and 0-1-1.  Teams that are plus 6 should be 2-0 no matter what the kicker does.  The two teams who are + three are 4-0, and the teams + two are 8-2-1.   3-4 wins this season seems wildly optimistic, unless you think that turnover ratio will continue.

The best thing about the Raiders is I don't have to listen to Gruden's blathering, pawing praise for every coach in the NFL on TV anymore.  Wish he was a better coach so he'd stay out of the booth longer, but he should be back in there by 2020.

Lions are a mess.  49ers about what I expected.  The Giants - Is that NFL football?  Need to get a Jags game in to see if they really are that much better than I thought.  And not to gloat, but man I took a lot of crap for saying Russell Wilson was not an elite QB, you know one who could win even with an average or below average cast around him.  Well ok, I'll gloat.  Prediction #2 about him was he's out of the league or at least not a starter in a few years.  You have to read defenses and make adjustments to have a long life in the NFL, he does neither. 

Maybe Winston can get work as an Uber driver.   Is that too soon?

And last thought is you really know nothing about anything until after week 4.  Wins that seem impressive now against a team that was in the playoffs last year won't look as good when that team is 1-3.  Most coaches need at least two and usually three weeks of game film before they can re-find their belly button and make some adjustments to whatever silly ideas they came up with in training camp.

stefaniawine posted:

Credit for the Saints defense should go to Todd Monken.  He put in place a scheme to isolate Lattimore using motion and crossing routes and press the Saints deep.  Last year the leagues reaction to Lattimore was to not throw at him at all (Bears had one pass play to his side of the field in the game last year).  The Browns copied it the next week, but Taylor is no Fitzpatrick it would seem.

Dennis Allen isn't the brightest candle in the opera, not surprised he has figured out a counter yet in two games, but he eventually seems to.  The Saints should always play high risk defense and Allen just hasn't done it this year yet.  I suspect his conservative play calling eventually gets beat down my Payton's relentless nagging and he finally complies, happened in week three last year.

Don't know what to make of the Browns.  Easy to say they could be 2-0 with a good kicker, but then they are plus six in turnovers and 0-1-1.  Teams that are plus 6 should be 2-0 no matter what the kicker does.  The two teams who are + three are 4-0, and the teams + two are 8-2-1.   3-4 wins this season seems wildly optimistic, unless you think that turnover ratio will continue.

The best thing about the Raiders is I don't have to listen to Gruden's blathering, pawing praise for every coach in the NFL on TV anymore.  Wish he was a better coach so he'd stay out of the booth longer, but he should be back in there by 2020.

Lions are a mess.  49ers about what I expected.  The Giants - Is that NFL football?  Need to get a Jags game in to see if they really are that much better than I thought.  And not to gloat, but man I took a lot of crap for saying Russell Wilson was not an elite QB, you know one who could win even with an average or below average cast around him.  Well ok, I'll gloat.  Prediction #2 about him was he's out of the league or at least not a starter in a few years.  You have to read defenses and make adjustments to have a long life in the NFL, he does neither. 

Maybe Winston can get work as an Uber driver.   Is that too soon?

And last thought is you really know nothing about anything until after week 4.  Wins that seem impressive now against a team that was in the playoffs last year won't look as good when that team is 1-3.  Most coaches need at least two and usually three weeks of game film before they can re-find their belly button and make some adjustments to whatever silly ideas they came up with in training camp.

An entertaining and accurate read!

I didn't get to watch anything completely except for the Saints v Falcons.  I did get most of the Bucs v Steelers game and a good portion of the Sunday night game.

The Falcons used last years plan against the Saints, they just avoided Lattimore.  Still a huge problem to get fixed, but playing the Giants should help them look better on defense.

To me Tomlin has always been an enigma, I just can't figure out where to put him as a coach.  I'm sure this is how it went down last Monday in the game planning meeting:

Steelers DC: "Fitzpatrick has been on fire in Tampa, how are we going to stop him?"

Tomlin: "Fitzpatrick, the guy who used to play for the Jets?"

Steelers DC: "Yeah that guy, he's been incredible."

Tomlin:  "You sure?  The Jet's guy?"

Steelers DC: "Yes"

Tomlin: "Just blitz his ass.  Ok, what are we doing on offense."

And he was right, that was it, that was all it took.  There's a reason Fitz bounced all over, he can't handle the blitz.  Then just as you think, Tomlin is a genius I remember 1/8/2012 and yelling at the TV: "Why are you blitzing Tebow, make him throw the ball, he can't throw the ball, make him do it."  Against Tebow, hell you should drop 11 in coverage, ok maybe 8 in coverage and 3 at the line to chase him down when he runs, and BOOM, the guys is a minor league baseball player of no note.

So what is it?  Is he a genius or just get's lucky more than 50% of the time?  I really don't know.

Pats look just as bad as they did last year at this time.  I'm not going to take part in the annual exercise of writing them off.

The Fins should be 3-0 based on who they've played and 4-0 with a game against a Pats team that lost to the Lions seems really possible.  They might back in to something like an 11-5 record this year just based on beating up their division.

Seems I don't have to watch the Jags after all, they are who we thought they were.

I can't figure out any upside to the Jets playing Darnold right now, none.  Throw McCown in there to start the season, waiting until he gets hurt or blows up, and then you move Darnold in.  Not like this was going to be a playoff team that just needed an extra spark to go from 10 to 12 wins.  I think if McCown  was playing they Jets would be 3-0.

Speaking of 3-0.  Great coaches can make changes to the game plan in the middle of the game, they are rare and most of them were named Walsh.  Good coaches make changes at half time, and that's why how a team plays to start the 3rd quarter is such a good indicator of the quality of coaching.  Some coaches can make changes before the next game.  Most coaches take 2-3 games to figure things out.  Andy Reid makes changes in the offseason.

I didn't get to see much of the 49er game, the Saints game was too exciting, but I remember how last year started for the Chiefs.  They were pre-crowned Super Bowl winners, they'd already beaten the Pats and the Eagles, they are 5-0 and Alex Smith was the greatest QB in history.  Then Reid got out game planned by Tomlin, and for whatever reason forgot that the Chiefs where the team that dug up the video on San Jose State vs Fresno State and knew that if you just play cover two against Carr he'll never check down and force the ball into interceptions.  No, Reid made a mid-season change, I'll give you that, but he changes from something that worked and the rest of the league copied, to something that didn't.  They then back into the playoffs and are out in one week.  Don't get too excited in KC.

Last Monday watching the Bears I thought, "this team might make the playoffs and not score more than 20 points in a game on offense all year. "  Gives me a reason to watch the Bears I guess.

There's one big change for this year, We're back to taking Sunday's off.  I just decided to have the girls cover the tasting room completely on Sunday.  We had a TV out there but the times I was busiest were right as the games where ending at 12:45 and 3:45.  I felt like I didn't see a fourth quarter last year.  So, Kermit goes on the stereo at 9:15, Fay's Bloody Mary's at 9:50, and we are locked down for football.  Stop by if you're in the area, I'm in the backyard.

stefaniawine posted:

I didn't get to watch anything completely except for the Saints v Falcons.  I did get most of the Bucs v Steelers game and a good portion of the Sunday night game.

The Falcons used last years plan against the Saints, they just avoided Lattimore.  Still a huge problem to get fixed, but playing the Giants should help them look better on defense.

To me Tomlin has always been an enigma, I just can't figure out where to put him as a coach.  I'm sure this is how it went down last Monday in the game planning meeting:

Steelers DC: "Fitzpatrick has been on fire in Tampa, how are we going to stop him?"

Tomlin: "Fitzpatrick, the guy who used to play for the Jets?"

Steelers DC: "Yeah that guy, he's been incredible."

Tomlin:  "You sure?  The Jet's guy?"

Steelers DC: "Yes"

Tomlin: "Just blitz his ass.  Ok, what are we doing on offense."

And he was right, that was it, that was all it took.  There's a reason Fitz bounced all over, he can't handle the blitz.  Then just as you think, Tomlin is a genius I remember 1/8/2012 and yelling at the TV: "Why are you blitzing Tebow, make him throw the ball, he can't throw the ball, make him do it."  Against Tebow, hell you should drop 11 in coverage, ok maybe 8 in coverage and 3 at the line to chase him down when he runs, and BOOM, the guys is a minor league baseball player of no note.

So what is it?  Is he a genius or just get's lucky more than 50% of the time?  I really don't know.

Pats look just as bad as they did last year at this time.  I'm not going to take part in the annual exercise of writing them off.

The Fins should be 3-0 based on who they've played and 4-0 with a game against a Pats team that lost to the Lions seems really possible.  They might back in to something like an 11-5 record this year just based on beating up their division.

Seems I don't have to watch the Jags after all, they are who we thought they were.

I can't figure out any upside to the Jets playing Darnold right now, none.  Throw McCown in there to start the season, waiting until he gets hurt or blows up, and then you move Darnold in.  Not like this was going to be a playoff team that just needed an extra spark to go from 10 to 12 wins.  I think if McCown  was playing they Jets would be 3-0.

Speaking of 3-0.  Great coaches can make changes to the game plan in the middle of the game, they are rare and most of them were named Walsh.  Good coaches make changes at half time, and that's why how a team plays to start the 3rd quarter is such a good indicator of the quality of coaching.  Some coaches can make changes before the next game.  Most coaches take 2-3 games to figure things out.  Andy Reid makes changes in the offseason.

I didn't get to see much of the 49er game, the Saints game was too exciting, but I remember how last year started for the Chiefs.  They were pre-crowned Super Bowl winners, they'd already beaten the Pats and the Eagles, they are 5-0 and Alex Smith was the greatest QB in history.  Then Reid got out game planned by Tomlin, and for whatever reason forgot that the Chiefs where the team that dug up the video on San Jose State vs Fresno State and knew that if you just play cover two against Carr he'll never check down and force the ball into interceptions.  No, Reid made a mid-season change, I'll give you that, but he changes from something that worked and the rest of the league copied, to something that didn't.  They then back into the playoffs and are out in one week.  Don't get too excited in KC.

Last Monday watching the Bears I thought, "this team might make the playoffs and not score more than 20 points in a game on offense all year. "  Gives me a reason to watch the Bears I guess.

There's one big change for this year, We're back to taking Sunday's off.  I just decided to have the girls cover the tasting room completely on Sunday.  We had a TV out there but the times I was busiest were right as the games where ending at 12:45 and 3:45.  I felt like I didn't see a fourth quarter last year.  So, Kermit goes on the stereo at 9:15, Fay's Bloody Mary's at 9:50, and we are locked down for football.  Stop by if you're in the area, I'm in the backyard.

If I didn't enjoy your wine so much I'd suggest you switch careers and start commentating full time.

Bears are finally fun to watch again.  Unfortunately, they aren't on here much in Columbus.  Was just looking at  the their defensive stats and thus far they have 8 ints and 3 fumble recoveries.  The past two years, the Bears had 8 ints each season.  And they've already matched the number of takeaways they had during 2016 season. 

I am enjoying watching the Browns though.  Still frustrating to watch, but at least they have a chance. 

You know, every single time I sit down and actually get to watch an extended amount of a Dolphins game I can't figure out how in the hell they've won any football games.  Last year the only time I really saw them play was vs the Saints when they couldn't even cross the 50 yard line.  It looked like the same team Sunday.  I'll take payouts from any Fins fans who want me to not watch because it seems they can score if I'm not tuned in.

Two great examples of bad coaching in two of the other games I watched.  Giants have way too much talent at the skill positions to play that bad. The Saints had their way with them in the second half.  Shurmur had a good plan coming in and the Giants marched right down the field to score first, then did nothing the rest of the game on offense.  On defense they limited the Saints to field goals in the first half then did nothing in the second half.  No adjustments were made, and Payton and Dennis Allen out coached the Giants.  If Dennis Allen out coaches you, you suck.

Who the hell is calling the plays in Denver?  There are 6 minutes left, you have a 3 point lead.  You're playing a team in the bottom 5 in rushing defense who have given up over 7 yards a carry to you all night and show no signs of being able to stop you.  What do you do?  Throw a couple passes and go 3 and out of course, running 35 seconds off the clock.  Sure Keenum missed a pass even Tim Tebow could have made (maybe), but they should have never been in that situation.

Who saw that coming in Chicago?  Man that Bucs defense is bad, but still, now I need some other excuse to watch the Bears.  Maybe just the joy of knowing that Gruden is exposed as the stubborn idiot he is every time Mack takes the field and the Bears dominate on defense is reason enough

Enjoy all.  I'll catch about 1/2 the game tonight.  I'm watching the Fins for the early game Sunday unless I get a payoff, then I'm watching the Titans.  Niners with the late game, and I'm already sick of watching the Cowboys so baseball might win out on Sunday.  Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice and Abita at my place Monday starting at 4 PM.  Make it if you can.

I watched most of the Titans v Bills.  Man I wish I had those three hours back.  Titans might be the most disappointing franchise right now to me. They have an easy schedule the rest of the year, but what a terrible performance against the Bills.

I did watch the Texans v Cowboys.  The problem is not that the Cowboys didn't go for it on 4th down, the problem is their best QB and best TE are in the broadcast booth calling games.  The window was small for them being maxed out on the Salary Cap and it looks like that window is now closed.

I admire the 49ers for trying to bring back the statue of liberty play, but it's not supposed to be the other team that grabs the ball from the QB's hands.  Work on that this week in practice.

Browns are on a role!  I just hope I don't have to watch them anymore this year.  That game winner was the worst kick I've seen at a level above high school JV football.  How do you have like 50 bazzilion dollars in cap space and not have a freaking good kicker?  Usually you pull guys off the scrap pile and practice squads when you've got no room to sign anyone good.

And then there where the Saints.  You know what I said about not knowing anything before week 4?  Well one well known 'power ranking' had the Saints as the lowest 1 loss team two weeks ago, 9 full spots behind the Dolphins.  In what universe have the Dolphins been 9 spots better than the Saints this year?  Do those people watch football games?  A word of advice for you kids out there.  If you're on a defense that just got beat up for 43 points in a 43-19 loss and you couldn't force a punt all game - - - stay off twitter.  

so.......The media spends all week beating the crap out of Beckham because he's right?  My opinion only but I really think we need to stop punishing people in this country for saying things that are truthful, and should be fairly obvious.  Calling out your boss for doing a poor job being one of those things.  Oh and I know, team loyalty and all that bull shit.  Ask Ereck Flowers if loyality is a two way street.  Why do we expect employees to be loyal to a company that won't return the favor?  What a stink hole in New York, and they're on prime time again this week.  It's like punishment for all of us.

http://www.espn.com/blog/oakla...ive-under-jon-gruden

Good read this morning with telling stats buried in there.  Summary - Carr does a poor job throwing down field and his receivers drop passes.  In truth I couldn't watch the entire Raiders game, it was too painful.    The thing is I don't think it's a huge thing to fix Carr.  He needs a more straight forward playbook than whatever Gruden has him doing.  He needs to focus on reading coverages and making adjustments at the line, not in the huddle.  He needs to spend some time watching film of Brees and Rogers, how they look off safeties and freeze corners.  Basically learn not to throw into double coverage and help out your receivers in getting separation.  That's it.  That's probably three more things than Gruden could remember though.

Compare that to Kyle Shanahan. Last year Beathard looked like a basket case.  A year of good coaching and he's not great, but what a huge difference.  Shanahan turned what could have been a blown 3rd round pick into at least a 2nd rounder and maybe even a late 1st rounder to some desperate stupid team out there.

Bears v Fins, Pats v Chiefs and Niners v Pack, three great games to watch.  Compared to any game a team from the AFC South is in, man what a bunch of sad ass teams.  One of them will get into the playoffs, and completely not deserve it.  

FInal thought, I can't believe Sean McDermott is still employed.   Last year vs the Saints his team gets slaughtered.  298 rushing yards allowed, and as I remember 24 consecutive rushing plays that resulted in three touchdowns.  His solution to this defensive disaster is to pull his QB.  The Saints pull all their defensive starters and drop into prevent defense to run out the clock.  Nathan Peterman, the back UP QB complete's 7 of 9 against the Saints backups  and scores a touchdown.  So the take away for McDermott is he's got a lot of work to do on defense, the run especially right?  No he makes Peterman the starter, of course you probably remember him setting an NFL record by throwing 5 interceptions in the first half the next week.

Chalk it up to a brain fart and move on, but no somehow not only does Peterman stay on the roster this year, he's actually a starter.  How as a franchise do you get in that position?  So the Texans stage an amazing comeback because they're facing the dumbest coach and the worst quarterback in the NFL.  The punch line is they still needed a miracle comeback.

Add Reply

Likes (0)