irwin posted:

no love for the Ravens out here?

I thought of all the teams I watched the Saints play the Ravens easily had the best defense.  The Saints scored 24 points on them, but it was a brutal nasty 24 points.  I didn't see a better defensive team this year.  They're the only team going to the playoffs with a negative takeaway ratio.   That should scare a lot of teams.  It means if they win the takeaway battle, and they've only had 14 this year, you can't beat them.  Based on their ratio last year I would have predicted the Ravens to be 2 to 3 games worse than 2017 (they should have been 10-6 or 11-5 based on leading the league in 2017).  They're going to be no worse than 9-7 (same as last year) with a drop of 22 in takeaway ratio.  That's a really good football team. 

It also paints a really positive picture for next year, especially if they can get Flaco off the books.  He's 16 million in dead cap space, but he's the very definition of dead space.  I mean you don't go back to him at this point right?  Do you think if the Ravens win a playoff game or two Marty Mornhinweg can finally shake of the ghost of Matt Millen and Ty Detmer and get another shot at head coaching?  

thistlintom posted:

Bears fans have embarrassed themselves with the reactions after the missed field goal.

Not surprising at all. Having been to a number of Bears games, i’ve seen a lot of questionable behavior in person including brawls walking to the parking lots after games. I certainly wouldn’t recommend fans of visiting teams to wear opponent jerseys there unless walking in groups of four. Hardcore sports “fans” can be huge dickheads. 

I'm sure every other team was glad to see the Ravens go.  I missed most of the first game Saturday, but then it was done in the first quarter.  I've called the Texans overrated all season, but wasn't expecting that big of a dump from them.  That's the danger of a running QB, if you fall behind, and need them to work from the pocket, well that's not their game.  Think you can say the same about the Raven's, that and turnovers doomed them.  

The Seahawks play calling was mystifying.   Wilson was in 3rd and long ever single sequence it seemed like but Carroll kept running it up the gut on first down.  

Poor Bears.  The conversation last night was if their kicker passes Bartman on the all time Chicago goat list.  They're the top contender for 8-8 next year so really need a win.

I think Deshaun Watson is a winner.  Although there is room for improvement in his accuracy, the main problem he had were the injuries to Fuller and Thomas to draw some coverage away from Hopkins.  

Ravens had a nice run, but I thought the Steelers would have given a better game even without Brown.     Although their defense is nice, Lamar Jackson doesn't scare me.

I agree with the Seahawks' play-calling that was a perplexing.  Then again, Brian Shottenheimer is the OC.  You only need to look at the Jets from 5 years ago to understand the predictable calls.

The Bears-Eagles was pretty boring until the last 10 minutes (unless you were a fan of one of the teams).  After looking at replays, I don't know how you can blame the kicker since the kick was deflected.    

Interesting perspective Stefaniawine of pretty muchblaming the victim in every game. Indy took it to Houston and Luck was great. SD did the same to the Ravens. Tend to agree on Seattle as they were way too conservative. Philly could have been up double digits in the first half and dominated the play from nearly start to finish with free exceptions. Shouldn't have  come down to a fg if not for a few dropped Ints and a couple odd ones by Foles.

It was a great weekend of football. The winners won the action in their games and all deserved to win if you look at the balance of power over four quarters in each game. On to the next round.

bomba503 posted:

Interesting perspective Stefaniawine of pretty muchblaming the victim in every game.

Humm - I don't think I did that at all.  Every team I expected to win did win and for the reasons I expected them too.  The only disappointment to me was how poorly Seattle played in the second half.  I thought that was going to be the best game of the weekend and it wasn't.  

I've called the Texans overrated since about week 6.  I haven't written much about the Colts, but they've been the hottest team over the last 10 weeks and only a face plant against the Jags stands out.  I thought the Texans defense was better than to let Luck have his way with them on the first couple of drives, it wasn't and it was a hole they were not going to get out of.  When the Colts went up 21 I stopped watching and went to the tasting room, I knew the Texans offense couldn't come back from that.

As much grief as I've given the Cowboys about their offense, they're defense has been great.  I just expected the Seahawks to cut loose and let Wilson run around like he does, making it an exciting game.

The Ravens I said needed to not turn the ball over to win.  They turned it over 3 times for a -2 and never had a chance.  The defense was amazing holding the Chargers to 4 field goals up against a short field time and time again, but the offense needed to be mistake free to have a chance.  I underrated the Chargers about mid season when they'd not beaten anyone yet, but I'm really impressed with their coaching and they have a great chance to move on against the Pats.

I've been critical of the Bears offense all season, and the offense let them down.  The defense won the the takeaway battle, held the Eagles to 16 points, and the offense let the team down.  

I mean scan up it's all there.  Week 2 or 3 I'm joking the Bears might not score 20 points on offense in any game all season (they did of course).  Around week 8-9 I'm saying the Eagles are still a really good team, they're just dogged with a killer schedule and turnover problems.  I say if they fix the turnovers they can get in the playoffs.  They had a loosing record at the time.

The teams that won, won because they took advantage of their opponents weaknesses and played to their strengths.  I do feel sorry for all my friends in Chicago because they've been cursed with bad football for so long, and I know had so much hope this year.  I also know they'll be back at 500 next year, so I feel bad for them.  This was their shot to win a playoff game and it might be a couple years before they get another one.

When the Eagles wasted two plays with Sproles running up the middle with zero chance of success - while I knew they wanted to run the clock - I thought they were going to blow it.  Then the 3rd down incompletion, I really thought they had blown it.  Would have been some major second-guessing of the play calling if Foles and Tate did not get that 4th down play for the TD

jcocktosten posted:

When the Eagles wasted two plays with Sproles running up the middle with zero chance of success - while I knew they wanted to run the clock - I thought they were going to blow it.  Then the 3rd down incompletion, I really thought they had blown it.  Would have been some major second-guessing of the play calling if Foles and Tate did not get that 4th down play for the TD

Funny I thought that's our Doug. He knows exactly what he's doing! Force Chicago to burn two timeouts then score on 3rd or 4th down leaving a young QB a running clock with under a minute to play. I have supreme confidence in Foles.

The first time I saw him live he scored a TD on the last play of the game on the road against TB for the win with no time left. Ironically it was essentially the same play he ran to Tate on Sunday. 

The second time I saw him play live he threw 7 TD passes to take down the Raiders in Oakland.

The third time I saw him play live he beat the Rams a few weeks ago when few Gave him a chance.

Of course, he also delivered the Super Bowl title we Philly fans have coveted forever.

There's a bit of magic there. Defying all logic I just believe in Saint Nick!

We believe in the magic! True story, My friend and I bumped our lucky Saint Nick hats before the play and the field goal attempt. that's all it took!FB4622A0-C860-41A8-835F-CCE931A8217E

FWIW we were playing with house money. After winning last year, the team can play even looser and more aggressive. Playing with no pressure and nothing to lose makes a difference 

Do you think Foles is better than Wentz?

I didn't think the play calling was all that weird.  Sproles is safe and just figured they were forcing the Bears to burn the timeouts as well.  Could have been the bourbon shots though keeping me from getting too excited.

I'm always a Browns doubter but canning Williams and not even considering him for the job, well they're getting much, much smarter.  

I disagree the runs had zero chance. If you expected pass why wouldn't the bears also have to consider that. Take a couple shots and if you don't get in you burn clock/timeouts.

I think Wentz is easily the better QB and way to go long term. What I think Foles does very well is read defenses, make quick decisions and he usually gets rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. That comes with experience. Wentz is still young and uses his legs to buy time to pass. In time he will learn to read defenses better/quicker, make quicker decisions and be a great QB. If he doesn't get killed first like most mobile qb's 

bomba503 posted:

I disagree the runs had zero chance. If you expected pass why wouldn't the bears also have to consider that. Take a couple shots and if you don't get in you burn clock/timeouts.

I think Wentz is easily the better QB and way to go long term. What I think Foles does very well is read defenses, make quick decisions and he usually gets rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. That comes with experience. Wentz is still young and uses his legs to buy time to pass. In time he will learn to read defenses better/quicker, make quicker decisions and be a great QB. If he doesn't get killed first like most mobile qb's 

Sproles had what a 100 yards for the entire season rushing?  He is a good receiver but a sub-par rusher at this point of his career - the eagles had a total of 40 yards rushing all game and a 1.something yard per rush avg.  Perhaps zero is a little low, but the chances of them scoring with 2 Sproles rushes up the middle were extremely low

FYI, Sproles was injured, missed nearly all of the regular season and all of last season. He is now healthy. He only played the last few games. They typically give him 5 to 10 touches a game when healthy and on punt returns. He is a much more effective runner than you think and Ive watched nearly every game since he's been here. Averages about 4 yds / carry

He said this was gonna be his last but now is thinking of coming back for one more

All good things must end.. What a great run the last two seasons never to be forgotten. No one gave us a chance in NO and if Pederson hadn't turned into Reid after the first quarter getting too conservative and mismanaging the clock I may have been going back to the colosseum

Hope Brees gets another ring

One last thing to add. Philly fans always get such a bad name much of which is well earned. This year they are standing by and sticking up for Ashlon Jeffrey after the drop which ended the game. Quite a different respone than the lovable Bear's fans who threw Cody Parkey under a bus and havent stopped driving over him again and again.

A little late but my thoughts on Sproles are that he was the safe veteran.  There was no chance he was going to fumble and no chance he'd decide to try and bounce something outside for an extra 1/2 yard and end up out of bounds.  There was also a good chance his presence would 'fool' the Bears.  I know in his last couple of years with the Saints teams used his presence on the field as a signal the Saints were passing and they'd disregard the run.  Maybe the Eagles were hoping to get the Bears with 6 DBs in? 

We had a good party here Sunday for what turned out to be the only half way exciting game.  I was surprised the Eagles threw at Lattimore.  My opinion is he's the best CB in football and most teams just don't throw at him, especially if the can get a slot WR or TE on Williams.  I don't know if Foles didn't see the switch, or just ignored it but to me the game flipped when he threw the first interception to Lattimore who was 1 x 1 with Ertz.  Maybe he thought it was WIlliams in coverage I don't know.  After that point the Eagles had 92 yards in offense and the Saints had 397.

One thing I've learned about Dennis Allen is his defense seems to always come in and have a rough start.  Doesn't seem to matter who they play, teams have success to start the game.  He makes adjustments though, just not sure why he can't seem to start a game off well.

Agree on Sproles and the team that should have won did so this past weekend.

Lots of questionable calls out of the Andy Reid playbook. Calling a time out with a few seconds left before  halftime when NO was about to get a delay of game penalty. Mismanaging the clock and not letting the clock hit the 2:00 warning so Nick and Dougie could talk about what they wanted to do on that final drive. These were two biggies that had me screaming at my TV. There were others but those two seemed obvious. The game was well within reach and we let you off the hook. Good luck ahead and I hope Drew gets another ring. Real good guy

last point. We can safely put the QB question to bed now. Wentz would've put up at least 20 in that game. 

bomba503 posted:

Agree on Sproles and the team that should have won did so this past weekend.

Lots of questionable calls out of the Andy Reid playbook. Calling a time out with a few seconds left before  halftime when NO was about to get a delay of game penalty. Mismanaging the clock and not letting the clock hit the 2:00 warning so Nick and Dougie could talk about what they wanted to do on that final drive. These were two biggies that had me screaming at my TV. There were others but those two seemed obvious. The game was well within reach and we let you off the hook. Good luck ahead and I hope Drew gets another ring. Real good guy

last point. We can safely put the QB question to bed now. Wentz would've put up at least 20 in that game. 

I only hope he makes it through a season without serious injury

I will predict that Wentz will miss 2-4 games next year.  I know carrying a backup QB at more than $10M/yr puts a lot of pressure on your roster, but Foles has proven himself.   

I am hoping the Steelers find a couple of sucker teams to trade for Brown and send a couple of first and second picks.

Would love to keep Nick around if possible. Guy doesn't need the money, can sit in the back up seat and collect millions more while preserving his health and he's a folk lore hero. Guy could live off local endorsements the rest of his life there. Seau never should have left SD

Add Reply

Likes (0)