31.7 million people watched the State of the Union Address by President Obama on 1/20.
The Super Bowl was on 2/1.
114.3 Million people watched it.

Note also that when the President is on, all the major networks carry it, decreasing the options of TV watchers. On the other hand, the Super Bowl is only on one channel.

There are many differences. You know ahead of time how the State of the Union is going to come out. In both venues the egos of the participants are grossly inflated, while at the Super Bowl, the footballs are also inflated (I hope).
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
31.7 million people watched the State of the Union Address by President Obama on 1/20.
The Super Bowl was on 2/1.
114.3 Million people watched it.

Note also that when the President is on, all the major networks carry it, decreasing the options of TV watchers. On the other hand, the Super Bowl is only on one channel.

There are many differences. You know ahead of time how the State of the Union is going to come out. In both venues the egos of the participants are grossly inflated, while at the Super Bowl, the footballs are also inflated (I hope).

well somebody picked a friday night instead of a sunday.

duh =)
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
File under "He who laughs last, laughs loudest."

http://boston.cbslocal.com/201...-be-banned-from-nfl/

Hope it plays out this way.

Despite all the rancor aimed at the Patriots, both deserved and undeserved, they are simply better than every other team in the NFL. Better head coach. Better QB. Better preparation. Better work ethic. Better game management. Better execution. Better mentally.

An organization does not maintain their level of excellence through nothing more than subterfuge. They are ambitious, focused, and always striving to be better. The results over the last 15 years validate their greatness.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
quote:

Despite all the rancor aimed at the Patriots, both deserved and undeserved, they are simply better than every other team in the NFL. Better head coach. Better QB. Better preparation. Better work ethic. Better game management. Better execution. Better mentally.

An organization does not maintain their level of excellence through nothing more than subterfuge. They are ambitious, focused, and always striving to be better. The results over the last 15 years validate their greatness.

Well said, and agree 100%. They remind me of the Spurs - consistency, team first, do more with players no one has heard of than others do with supposed All Stars, a coach who's part genius and part d-bag, etc. The results speak for themselves on both counts.
quote:
quote:

dont know why people still conjecturing about psi it's quite simple i'm sure the nfl weighed teh balls. Weight = Mass * gravity.

the mass of the balls will not change. If the mass of the ball is lower then expected something happened, if the mass is the same across all balls, this "investigation" should have been closed within 30 minutes.

it's pretyt obvious from the very beginning this was a he said she said. If anything you'll probably uncover that the ref's didn't do a proper job in weighing teh balls to see if they're within nfl rules. so the nfl is thinking of a way to spin this so the refs dont look bad.

I guess any news is better than no news during hte off season?
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
quote:

dont know why people still conjecturing about psi it's quite simple i'm sure the nfl weighed teh balls. Weight = Mass * gravity.

the mass of the balls will not change. If the mass of the ball is lower then expected something happened, if the mass is the same across all balls, this "investigation" should have been closed within 30 minutes.

it's pretyt obvious from the very beginning this was a he said she said. If anything you'll probably uncover that the ref's didn't do a proper job in weighing teh balls to see if they're within nfl rules. so the nfl is thinking of a way to spin this so the refs dont look bad.

I hope you're joking. As much as I like to razz you and call you dumb I don't think you are and hope you don't think we're talking about the weight of the ball this whole time. We're not talking pounds here. We're talking pounds per square inch of air pressure. 2 psi weighs the same as a dollar bill. Very hard to measure that weight. They use a pressure guage for the measurements like a car tire.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/...-game-ball-pressure/

And even if the balls were 2 psi below regulation that only allows the ball to compress an extra one millimeter when squeezed. I don't believe they did anything, but if they did were not talking about a 13 pound ball vs a 10 pound ball.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I hope you're joking. As much as I like to razz you and call you dumb I don't think you are and hope you don't think we're talking about the weight of the ball this whole time. We're not talking pounds here. We're talking pounds per square inch of air pressure. 2 psi weighs the same as a dollar bill. Very hard to measure that weight. They use a pressure guage for the measurements like a car tire.

And even if the balls were 2 psi below regulation that only allows the ball to compress an extra one millimeter when squeezed. I don't believe they did anything, but if they did were not talking about a 13 pound ball vs a 10 pound ball.

2 psi "weighs" the same as a dollar bill only at 1 atmosphere pressure.
http://www.asknumbers.com/atm-to-psi.aspx

it also "weighs" that much around room temperature.

but the acutal mass of the air in the ball is the same no matter what pressure/temperature/psim there for the actual weight is the same regardless of any of those environmental factors

you adjust ATM and Temperature, the psi changes. you also get all these funny calculations from random people becuase they dont know the ATM at game day, they assume the various temperatures of measure.

if the ball was 2 psi below regulation at X temp and Y ATM, it means the ball can possibly compress an extra one millimeter when squeezed. If you were underwater, the ball would compress more, if you were in denver, the ball would compress less.

pounds per square inch is not the same as the acutal weight. putting the sucker on a scale.
If you watch the video they aren't using molecular scales to weigh the balls. There is absolutely no way they are or ever have used scales that sophisticated to weigh the footballs before the game, when they thought there was an infraction, and I'd even guess during the investigation.

And on top of that it wouldn't matter anyway since it was all made up to begin with.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/201...embarrass-tom-brady/

And from another article online...

A football weighs 14.5 ounces, discounting air. At 13 psi, the air inside the ball weighs about one-third of an ounce, or about the weight of two sheets of paper. At 11 psi, the air weighs about one-fourth of an ounce. Verdict: If you can tell the difference between one-third and one-fourth of an ounce of air inside a one-pound football, you are lying.
quote:
If you watch the video they aren't using molecular scales to weigh the balls. There is absolutely no way they are or ever have used scales that sophisticated to weigh the footballs before the game, when they thought there was an infraction, and I'd even guess during the investigation.

And on top of that it wouldn't matter anyway since it was all made up to begin with.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/201...embarrass-tom-brady/

And from another article online...

A football weighs 14.5 ounces, discounting air. At 13 psi, the air inside the ball weighs about one-third of an ounce, or about the weight of two sheets of paper. At 11 psi, the air weighs about one-fourth of an ounce. Verdict: If you can tell the difference between one-third and one-fourth of an ounce of air inside a one-pound football, you are lying.

i think the misconception that alot of people have is teh PSI correlates with weight.

almost all of the articles i've read have the same misconception and they're all trying to tell a story around the PSI, which is rather silly.

psi is a measure of pressure. plain and simple. In this instance it is the pressure of the gas within a leather container.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-We...ywords=cooking+scale
this is all you need to measure the weight of the ball.

It goes like this

you have a container, you pump it full of gas. That gas in the container now has X amount of molecules. that X amount of molecules will never change inside that container as long as there are no leaks. The x amount of molecules always has the same weight where gravity is the same. ie from the field to inside the facilities. you dont need to count the molecules, you alreayd know that if air didnt get let out, it's constant.
the same molecules can get squished realllly tight in high ATM, which leads to lower PSI, or they can really expand in low ATM leading to higher psi (up to a limit because you have a fixed container that only gives so much). you can have the same molecules get squished closer together when it gets cold, lower psi and vice versa for hotter.

tyr this experiment at home

If you have a cheap ktichen scale. Get a football, measure it inside at room temp and take it outside where it's probably 5 degrees F outside. let me know if there's a change in the weight. (answer is no) The psi though, will change for sure.

i will add that if you run a tea business, you'd have to get a scale that costs around 60-100$ that's a bit more accurate and get it approved with the NY office of weights and measures to ensure that if you sell 8 oz's of tea, it really is 8 oz's. I'm sure the multibillion dollar business like the nfl can afford a few of these scales if little ol' me can buy 2.
these scales are great for baking too btw
Ummmmm...I understand all that. You brought up two posts ago that you thought the NFL weighed the balls. They don't, as the video shows. It's a quick pressure check (if they even did that). If they did weigh the balls a 13 psi ball should weigh 14.5 oz + .33 oz of air (yes compressed air has a weight to it) or 14.83 oz. An 11 psi ball would weigh 14.75 oz. (assuming they let the air out of the ball, which is the only issue at hand the PSI doesn't matter if they were properly inflated and just deflated because of atmospheric conditions) a difference of .08 oz which as mentioned would not be noticeable or even measurable without a scale that measured to 100ths of an ounce, and, while yes they make them and yes they could afford them, they just flat out don't use them.
quote:
quote:

Or . . . Bill Belichek was about to get fired, just like he was from the Browns, and then he lucked into Bledsoe getting his sternum crushed and had to play Brady who happened to be one of the best QB's ever. All of this just happened to coincide with the epic failure of all three teams in their division to gift them the division crown every year.
quote:
Ummmmm...I understand all that. You brought up two posts ago that you thought the NFL weighed the balls. They don't, as the video shows. It's a quick pressure check (if they even did that). If they did weigh the balls a 13 psi ball should weigh 14.5 oz + .33 oz of air (yes compressed air has a weight to it) or 14.83 oz. An 11 psi ball would weigh 14.75 oz.

This statement means you dont understand. what you do have right. 14.5oz + .33 oz of air is 14.83 oz. No matter what.
the PSI can and will change but the ball weighs 14.83 oz. a ball that weighs 14.83 oz can have teh air inside generate 30 psi or it could have the air inside generate 1 psi. I'm not sure how else I can explain this clearly to you.
the simple scale there i posted can tell the difference within .01 oz i believe.

quote:
a difference of .08 oz which as mentioned would not be noticeable or even measurable without a scale that measured to 100ths of an ounce, and, while yes they make them and yes they could afford them, they just flat out don't use them.

This is the more important point and i alluded to, it probably just shows the refs dont acutally bother weighing the ball at all. your assumption on the .08oz difference is wrong, but the number would be valid at a very specific temperature and a very specific atm.
"it's pretyt obvious from the very beginning this was a he said she said. If anything you'll probably uncover that the ref's didn't do a proper job in weighing teh balls to see if they're within nfl rules. so the nfl is thinking of a way to spin this so the refs dont look bad."
quote:
quote:
Ummmmm...I understand all that. You brought up two posts ago that you thought the NFL weighed the balls. They don't, as the video shows. It's a quick pressure check (if they even did that). If they did weigh the balls a 13 psi ball should weigh 14.5 oz + .33 oz of air (yes compressed air has a weight to it) or 14.83 oz. An 11 psi ball would weigh 14.75 oz.

This statement means you dont understand. what you do have right. 14.5oz + .33 oz of air is 14.83 oz. No matter what.
the PSI can and will change but the ball weighs 14.83 oz. a ball that weighs 14.83 oz can have teh air inside generate 30 psi or it could have the air inside generate 1 psi. I'm not sure how else I can explain this clearly to you.
the simple scale there i posted can tell the difference within .01 oz i believe.

quote:
a difference of .08 oz which as mentioned would not be noticeable or even measurable without a scale that measured to 100ths of an ounce, and, while yes they make them and yes they could afford them, they just flat out don't use them.

This is the more important point and i alluded to, it probably just shows the refs dont acutally bother weighing the ball at all. your assumption on the .08oz difference is wrong, but the number would be valid at a very specific temperature and a very specific atm.
"it's pretyt obvious from the very beginning this was a he said she said. If anything you'll probably uncover that the ref's didn't do a proper job in weighing teh balls to see if they're within nfl rules. so the nfl is thinking of a way to spin this so the refs dont look bad."

There's no probably, they do not weigh the balls.

And, it shows one of us doesn't get it, but it's not me. You left off the next sentence where I said the weight would change IF they actually let the air out of the ball, which would be the only infraction this whole thing hinges on. PSI changes with heat/cold or other atmospheric changes. As you mentioned it wouldn't change the weight if no air went in or out. So if they really gave a crap (which they don't) they should weigh the balls. PSI is an almost useless measurement at this point. They may or may not have been checked, they definitely weren't weighed, the measurements weren't recorded and they were re-inflated and returned after anywhere from .1 psi to 2 psi, or so all the leaks say. No facts have come out yet so we're still discussing hypotheticals.
quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
quote:
quote:

Or . . . Bill Belichek was about to get fired, just like he was from the Browns, and then he lucked into Bledsoe getting his sternum crushed and had to play Brady who happened to be one of the best QB's ever. All of this just happened to coincide with the epic failure of all three teams in their division to gift them the division crown every year.

True, Belichek's coaching résumé was lacking until Brady entered the picture.

He deserves credit for drafting Brady.

Any successful coach must have great talent and leadership in order to achieve success. An apt analogy would be Joe Torre before he managed the Yankees; his record was average, at best. However, his arrival in NY coincides with Derek Jeter, and the rest his history.

I do not agree with the contention that the strength of the Patriots' division opponents has contributed to their success. Similarly, I wouldn't diminish the 49ers' success for 15+ years based on the fact that they played in the NFC West with the Rams, Saints, and Falcons. Ultimately, they still had to compete with the best in the NFC to win their Superbowls.
you're syaing a 13 psi ball weighs this and that a 11psi ball weighs this if air was let out. i'm telling you that statement is not necessarily right as psi is not a direct contributor to weight. you'd have to unfortunately contend with things like, is the ball wet, is the ball cold, is the ball hot, is the ball have any sort of atmospheric properties that mya affect the psi further.

Simple way of telling if air was let in and out is to just weigh it.

the cheap amazon scale i posted, weighs to 3/1000 th of an oz. that's a 17$ scale.

but at least we're at the crux, psi is an almost useless measurement to begin with (not at this point or any point)
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Any successful coach must have great talent and leadership in order to achieve success. An apt analogy would be Joe Torre before he managed the Yankees; his record was average, at best. However, his arrival in NY coincides with Derek Jeter, and the rest his history.

I do not agree with the contention that the strength of the Patriots' division opponents has contributed to their success. Similarly, I wouldn't diminish the 49ers' success for 15+ years based on the fact that they played in the NFC West with the Rams, Saints, and Falcons. Ultimately, they still had to compete with the best in the NFC to win their Superbowls.

I give Belichek no credit for drafting Brady. Its not like he identified that he would be the best and took him round 1 or 2. He got lucky on a late round flier. You need stuff like that to win championships but dont tell me its some great skill he has that is better than everyone else's

You are right when you say you still have to beat good teams in the playoffs to win championships but I still say being in an easy division is a huge benefit. It can easily be the difference between 10-11 wins and 12-13 wins which can decide home field advantage and bye weeks.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I give Belichek no credit for drafting Brady. Its not like he identified that he would be the best and took him round 1 or 2. He got lucky on a late round flier. You need stuff like that to win championships but dont tell me its some great skill he has that is better than everyone else's

You are right when you say you still have to beat good teams in the playoffs to win championships but I still say being in an easy division is a huge benefit. It can easily be the difference between 10-11 wins and 12-13 wins which can decide home field advantage and bye weeks.

The AFC East is not actually regularly all that bad according to this. They are non-division record is only the worst in football for two years between 2002 and 2013, versus being the best four times in that stretch.

http://www.footballoutsiders.c...n-strength-2002-2013

Also, it maybe revisionist history but the story goes Bledsoe was going to be benched in 2001 for Tom Brady anyway. Glad things worked out either way. Ask the Cleveland Cavs if lucking into one all time great is enough to have a decade and a half of greatness.
quote:
Thats fairly suprising. I wonder how it would look if you took NE's games out of it.

You are right, it doesnt matter how you get your generational player as long as you get him.

the afc has been traditionally been a fairly strong conference witht eh exception of the last 4 years. (yes even without the NE pats)
quote:
quote:
Thats fairly suprising. I wonder how it would look if you took NE's games out of it.

You are right, it doesnt matter how you get your generational player as long as you get him.

the afc has been traditionally been a fairly strong conference witht eh exception of the last 4 years. (yes even without the NE pats)

Im talking solely about the AFC East where the Fins, jets and bills have sucked for over a decade.
g-man posted:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

2 psi "weighs" the same as a dollar bill only at 1 atmosphere pressure.
http://www.asknumbers.com/atm-to-psi.aspx

it also "weighs" that much around room temperature.

but the acutal mass of the air in the ball is the same no matter what pressure/temperature/psim there for the actual weight is the same regardless of any of those environmental factors

you adjust ATM and Temperature, the psi changes. you also get all these funny calculations from random people becuase they dont know the ATM at game day, they assume the various temperatures of measure.

if the ball was 2 psi below regulation at X temp and Y ATM, it means the ball can possibly compress an extra one millimeter when squeezed. If you were underwater, the ball would compress more, if you were in denver, the ball would compress less.

pounds per square inch is not the same as the acutal weight. putting the sucker on a scale.
You can also calculate the values through this unit converter

Add Reply

Likes (0)