quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
73 wins- really thought it was a record that could not be broken. An unbelievable accomplishment.


The Warriors made the regular season so much fun this year. Their season and the unselfishness of stars like Tim and Dirk late in their careers provided the perfect balance to Kobe ( embarrassing season) dragging the Lakers down the last three years to the worst seasons in the history of the franchise including their time in Minneapolis.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
...the unselfishness of stars like Tim and Dirk late in their careers provided the perfect balance to Kobe...

+1
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
73 wins- really thought it was a record that could not be broken. An unbelievable accomplishment.


Congrats and unfortunately I know what the flip side of that feels like. My dad and I had a half season package for the 73 Sixers. I honestly cant remember seeing them win that season.
I witnessed Greatness last night at Staples! I didn't sleep much when I got home. Also, congrats to the Warriors. Unbelievable season.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
this guy deserves a pulitzer. brilliant.


Was there any doubt he would jack-up 50 shots last night?

i put the over/under at 46 amongst my friends... absolutely crazy. 60 points, 50 shots... steph curry: 46 points on 24 shots.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
this guy deserves a pulitzer. brilliant.


Was there any doubt he would jack-up 50 shots last night?

i put the over/under at 46 amongst my friends... absolutely crazy. 60 points, 50 shots... steph curry: 46 points on 24 shots.


10 years makes a difference =) I hsould know, I need to get me some chest pads when i play bball.

kobe @ same age as curry
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=260122013
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
this guy deserves a pulitzer. brilliant.


Was there any doubt he would jack-up 50 shots last night?

i put the over/under at 46 amongst my friends... absolutely crazy. 60 points, 50 shots... steph curry: 46 points on 24 shots.


10 years makes a difference =) I hsould know, I need to get me some chest pads when i play bball.

kobe @ same age as curry
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=260122013

guess what, steph was still more efficient last night than kobe in his 81 game, as steph avg 1.917 points per shot attempt. kobe avg 1.760 points per shot attempt.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
this guy deserves a pulitzer. brilliant.


Was there any doubt he would jack-up 50 shots last night?

i put the over/under at 46 amongst my friends... absolutely crazy. 60 points, 50 shots... steph curry: 46 points on 24 shots.


10 years makes a difference =) I hsould know, I need to get me some chest pads when i play bball.

kobe @ same age as curry
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=260122013

guess what, steph was still more efficient last night than kobe in his 81 game, as steph avg 1.917 points per shot attempt. kobe avg 1.760 points per shot attempt.


well yea, if you make more 3 pters per attempt, you'd make more pts per attempt. Not really a relevant comparison.

It'd be very hard to argue against kobe in his 81 pt game. The guy literally carried the lakers to a win.

you could very easily argue that the warriors would have still won this game even if kerr decided to rest curry the final game.

credit where credit is due, guys an ass, a total douche, but in his prime, the guy could ball.
Yeah, Kobe is definitely a first team for our generation. Curry is great and fun to watch. Ultimately, age will catch up to him faster than guys like Kobe and Lebron.
No way. Look at Dell curry

Sharpshooters have very long careers he just might not be as dynamic. But he'd be damn effective still
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
No way. Look at Dell curry

Sharpshooters have very long careers he just might not be as dynamic. But he'd be damn effective still

You mean like Craig Hodges, Jim Paxton, and Steve Kerr type players 5 years from now?
Was just talking with one of my best friends. His son was the shooting guard at Lower Merion High School (Kobe's alma mater) and graduated last year. He was on the varsity squad since his sophomore year. He broke Kobe's career 3 pointer record (168) at Lower Merion last yearSmile
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
this guy deserves a pulitzer. brilliant.


Was there any doubt he would jack-up 50 shots last night?

i put the over/under at 46 amongst my friends... absolutely crazy. 60 points, 50 shots... steph curry: 46 points on 24 shots.


I love watching Steph and never been a huge fan of Kobe, but last night Kobe did exactly what he was supposed to and every fan loved it. I found myself sitting alone on the couch cheering when he hit some of the those 3-pointers. And, they did win. A great way to go out, a great gift to basketball fans, and what a thrill for those who were there.

Steph has shined all season and will continue to do so in the playoffs, but last night was Kobe's.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
No way. Look at Dell curry

Sharpshooters have very long careers he just might not be as dynamic. But he'd be damn effective still

You mean like Craig Hodges, Jim Paxton, and Steve Kerr type players 5 years from now?


ray allen would be a closer proxy than any of the names you listed
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
73 wins- really thought it was a record that could not be broken. An unbelievable accomplishment.


The Warriors made the regular season so much fun this year. Their season and the unselfishness of stars like Tim and Dirk late in their careers provided the perfect balance to Kobe ( embarrassing season) dragging the Lakers down the last three years to the worst seasons in the history of the franchise including their time in Minneapolis.


Kobe had nothing to do with "dragging" the Lakers down for the past three years. Signing a broken Steve Nash and a bad back Dwight Howard gambling it could work and bring another championship to LA. It didn't work with either of those guys and Kobe got hurt every year. The other glaring reason is the team signs guys that can't play defense as subs.
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
73 wins- really thought it was a record that could not be broken. An unbelievable accomplishment.


The Warriors made the regular season so much fun this year. Their season and the unselfishness of stars like Tim and Dirk late in their careers provided the perfect balance to Kobe ( embarrassing season) dragging the Lakers down the last three years to the worst seasons in the history of the franchise including their time in Minneapolis.


Kobe had nothing to do with "dragging" the Lakers down for the past three years. Signing a broken Steve Nash and a bad back Dwight Howard gambling it could work and bring another championship to LA. It didn't work with either of those guys and Kobe got hurt every year. The other glaring reason is the team signs guys that can't play defense as subs.


i would have guess that @ 60mm team salary cap, with kobe having the largest cap hit of any player in the NBA (25MM$) can indeed lead to a player "dragging a team down"
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ray Allen is a fair comparison. I don't think Jesus makes First Team NBA while he was playing, does he?


your arguments makes no sense

first you compare curry to john paxton, hodges and kerr ..

now you're saying he's going to have a better longevity then ray allen.

go back to your crappy italian wines
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ray Allen is a fair comparison. I don't think Jesus makes First Team NBA while he was playing, does he?


your arguments makes no sense

first you compare curry to john paxton, hodges and kerr ..

now you're saying he's going to have a better longevity then ray allen.

go back to your crappy italian wines

I agreed with you on Ray Allen being a better comparison. My argument or question, which I haven't stated yet, is whether Curry is in the same discussion as Jordan, Lebron, Magic, and Kobe.
quote:
Originally posted by Lakersguy:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
73 wins- really thought it was a record that could not be broken. An unbelievable accomplishment.


The Warriors made the regular season so much fun this year. Their season and the unselfishness of stars like Tim and Dirk late in their careers provided the perfect balance to Kobe ( embarrassing season) dragging the Lakers down the last three years to the worst seasons in the history of the franchise including their time in Minneapolis.


Kobe had nothing to do with "dragging" the Lakers down for the past three years. Signing a broken Steve Nash and a bad back Dwight Howard gambling it could work and bring another championship to LA. It didn't work with either of those guys and Kobe got hurt every year. The other glaring reason is the team signs guys that can't play defense as subs.
Agree. W+A is very wrong in his assessment. The front office decisions are to blame for the quick decline in the Lakers. Nash was a terrible deal in hindsight and Dwight was a bad fit but it turns out he is a bad fit most places. They also have the worst coach in the league which is another front office issue. Does Kobe deserve to be the highest paid player in the league these last 2 years, absolutely not. Were the Lakers profitable on that deal? You bet they were.

It was a great way to finish out a great career. The Jazz helped a lot by not playing D but it was still a fun way to see him go out. I would not trade these last 20 years of Kobe for anyone else in his generation including Dirk, Duncan, even LBJ. It's been a great ride.
Oh, and I agree with all the praise on the Warriors. Stef has forever changed the game and we might not see another like him. Such a fun team to watch and I will be rooting for them to go all the way again this year.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
The front office decisions are to blame for the quick decline in the Lakers.


umm isn't the front office decisions always the blame whenever a team fails?

In the history of sports has there ever been a failed front office decision that lead to a dynasty?

so tell me

what is kobe's win shares per $ spent the last 3 years he played.

considering he took up a massive 30+% of the teams cap space.

i'd call that dragging down the team.

numbers dont lie =)
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
The front office decisions are to blame for the quick decline in the Lakers.


umm isn't the front office decisions always the blame whenever a team fails?

In the history of sports has there ever been a failed front office decision that lead to a dynasty?

so tell me

what is kobe's win shares per $ spent the last 3 years he played.... Worst in the league.

considering he took up a massive 30+% of the teams cap space.... While other stars late in their career elected to take a 1/3 of what they could have to help their team compete.

i'd call that dragging down the team.... Without debate. The Lakers played better with him on the bench.

numbers dont lie =)
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
considering he took up a massive 30+% of the teams cap space.... While other stars late in their career elected to take a 1/3 of what they could have to help their team compete.


I hadn't thought of it to just then but Pete Rose is an interesting parallel. He was a massively negative player and a drain on his teams for the last 5 years he played chasing Cobb.

Not including the throwing games part. And I know, but just wait for it, he'll cop to that too at some point because you know damn well he did.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
The front office decisions are to blame for the quick decline in the Lakers.


umm isn't the front office decisions always the blame whenever a team fails?

In the history of sports has there ever been a failed front office decision that lead to a dynasty?

so tell me

what is kobe's win shares per $ spent the last 3 years he played.... Worst in the league.

considering he took up a massive 30+% of the teams cap space.... While other stars late in their career elected to take a 1/3 of what they could have to help their team compete.

i'd call that dragging down the team.... Without debate. The Lakers played better with him on the bench.

numbers dont lie =)
So if Kobe took less money you think the Laker results would have been materially different? Who was out there that could and would have signed that would have had a material impact? Sign a bunch of mid level guys to just miss the playoffs? What is the point in that? I like what actually happened better. We have 3 young players with potential and hopefully if the ping pong balls go our way a top 3 pick this year. Plenty of cap room going forward to hopefully land a KD and/or RW type player in the next couple of years.
The amount of money Kobe was paid and salary cap has nothing to do with the Lakers failure. Dr. Buss, who has passed, always took better care of his players than anyone else. Playing in LA still is a high value target for a player, but not as high as it use to be because of social media and 24 hr news cycle. Players can make endorsement money anywhere now. Paying Kobe 50 million for two years was a hell of an investment for the Lakers that kept them the number one or two valued NBA franchise. Gambling on a couple of superstars backfired with losses of draft picks and some questionable bench player signings. I think it will be multiple years before the Lakers contend again which saddens me.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
The front office decisions are to blame for the quick decline in the Lakers.


umm isn't the front office decisions always the blame whenever a team fails?

In the history of sports has there ever been a failed front office decision that lead to a dynasty?

so tell me

what is kobe's win shares per $ spent the last 3 years he played.... Worst in the league.

considering he took up a massive 30+% of the teams cap space.... While other stars late in their career elected to take a 1/3 of what they could have to help their team compete.

i'd call that dragging down the team.... Without debate. The Lakers played better with him on the bench.

numbers dont lie =)
So if Kobe took less money you think the Laker results would have been materially different? Who was out there that could and would have signed that would have had a material impact? Sign a bunch of mid level guys to just miss the playoffs? What is the point in that? I like what actually happened better. We have 3 young players with potential and hopefully if the ping pong balls go our way a top 3 pick this year. Plenty of cap room going forward to hopefully land a KD and/or RW type player in the next couple of years.


well to start

you would have gotten CP3
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Ray Allen is a fair comparison. I don't think Jesus makes First Team NBA while he was playing, does he?


your arguments makes no sense

first you compare curry to john paxton, hodges and kerr ..

now you're saying he's going to have a better longevity then ray allen.

go back to your crappy italian wines

I agreed with you on Ray Allen being a better comparison. My argument or question, which I haven't stated yet, is whether Curry is in the same discussion as Jordan, Lebron, Magic, and Kobe.


Not yet, Penny, TMac, Etc had a few great seasons and then injuries brought them down. The greats do it for a career.
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
this guy deserves a pulitzer. brilliant.


Was there any doubt he would jack-up 50 shots last night?

i put the over/under at 46 amongst my friends... absolutely crazy. 60 points, 50 shots... steph curry: 46 points on 24 shots.


10 years makes a difference =) I hsould know, I need to get me some chest pads when i play bball.

kobe @ same age as curry
http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=260122013

guess what, steph was still more efficient last night than kobe in his 81 game, as steph avg 1.917 points per shot attempt. kobe avg 1.760 points per shot attempt.


well yea, if you make more 3 pters per attempt, you'd make more pts per attempt. Not really a relevant comparison.

It'd be very hard to argue against kobe in his 81 pt game. The guy literally carried the lakers to a win.

you could very easily argue that the warriors would have still won this game even if kerr decided to rest curry the final game.

credit where credit is due, guys an ass, a total douche, but in his prime, the guy could ball.


V
+1, very well put
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:


well yea, if you make more 3 pters per attempt, you'd make more pts per attempt. Not really a relevant comparison.


actually, you are wrong, as Kobe's FT attempts are the equalizer for Steph's 3 pt prowess. Seriously, however way you look at it, Steph in win #73 was more efficient than Kobe.
quote:
Originally posted by TPEwinedrinker:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:


well yea, if you make more 3 pters per attempt, you'd make more pts per attempt. Not really a relevant comparison.


actually, you are wrong, as Kobe's FT attempts are the equalizer for Steph's 3 pt prowess. Seriously, however way you look at it, Steph in win #73 was more efficient than Kobe.


but steph didnt score 81. arguing about efficiency is only a small part of the argument about kobe in his prime vs kobe 10 years afterwards.

Kobe did carry the 81 game when no one else on his team was able to hit a shot.

The defense was literally double and triple teaming him in the 4th quarter. he was making like a stupid 65% of his FGs going into the 3rd quarter.


Take Steve Kerr's career with the bulls
he made a whopping 1.33pts/attempt
compared to stephs 1.35pts/attempt
are you going to argue that steve kerr was just as good as steph curry because he was just as efficient?

That 81 pt outburst, to me, was definitely one of the finest games I saw from a basketball player. That game literally defines when a player needs to put a team on his back and carry them.
Cavs sweep! They will get some rest while Boston and Atlanta battle it out.

Bay Area fans collectively wait on the results of Stephs' MRI.

San Antonio is business as usual.
fun stat
"Charlotte scores 14.7 more points per 100 possessions when Lin is on the court—roughly the same gap that sits between the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Lakers' offensive units during the regular season. They're outscored by a brain-melting 32.5 points per 100 possessions when he sits"-http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/jeremy-lin-charlotte-hornets-miami-heat-nba-playoffs-042616

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×