My wife and I are going to Napa Aug 30th for a week with another couple. I am looking for any help you can give me for things to do and see. Our first time there and we are looking for things that are must do's in the valley. Any suggestion on food would be welcomed. Like fun places as well as the finer experiences. Thanks for the help!

Yrac
Original Post
This is an incredibly open-ended question. I would do a little research and then come back with some more specific questions regarding restaurants, wineries to visit, adventures, etc.

Also, we don't know your budget.

Some of the better restaurants in Napa are:

The French Laundry
Bouchon
Ad Hoc
Martini House*
Terra
La Toque
Bistro Jeanty
Market*
Mustard's
Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen*
Redd

Those are all different prices and levels of formality, though. And the only ones I've personally been to are the ones I asterisked.

In terms of "fun places"... Honestly, I like the Jelly Belly factory on the way up north to Napa from Berkeley.
quote:
Originally posted by Brunello Drinker:
Lunch at Bistro Jeanty is always outstanding from my experiences.


I was there less than a year ago and the food was terrible. I almost asked for a life preserver for my fish because it was drowning in butter.


Okay, now to suggestions for yrac.

For a unique historical visit, check out Bale-Grist Mill. It is the oldest operating mill on the west coast and they make some of the best flours, cornmeal and polentas.

For eating, it is pretty hard to go wrong with Mustards, Brix or Rutherford Grill. Not high end, but just good food for the money.

For wineries, check out Domaine Carneros, they give a great tour. Ladera also has an excellent tour, but you will need to call in advance.

If you like wines that are more about elegance and balance go to Corison, Clos du Val, Chateau Montelena or Philip Togni. Smith Madrone is another good winery, as is Amici, Graeser is another excellent winery as well. Keep in mind, these are wineries that are old school. They are not going to be your huge fruit forward wines.

A couple others I would recommend would be Heitz, and if you have a little extra cash, the tour at Opus One is well worth it!!
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
This is an incredibly open-ended question. I would do a little research and then come back with some more specific questions regarding restaurants, wineries to visit, adventures, etc.

Also, we don't know your budget.

Some of the better restaurants in Napa are:

The French Laundry
Bouchon
Ad Hoc
Martini House*
Terra
La Toque
Bistro Jeanty
Market*
Mustard's
Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen*
Redd

Those are all different prices and levels of formality, though. And the only ones I've personally been to are the ones I asterisked.

In terms of "fun places"... Honestly, I like the Jelly Belly factory on the way up north to Napa from Berkeley.


All of the food choices you were given are great. Try Ad Hoc on a Monday night for Fried Chicken (make a reservation now). I would also second Terra, Bistro Jeanty and Cindy's.

The French Laundry would be phenomenal but ..... ridiculously priced
Besides wineries you could visit COPIA, ride a hot air balloon, or dine aboard the Napa Wine Train.

If you enjoy art, HESS COLLECTION, has a modern art museum that is worth visiting and they do not charge for admission.

The restaurants recommend by previous poster are all good choices. Auberge du Soleil is the best place to dine with a view of the Valley. Make reservation in advance for a table on the outdoor deck.

For more info on wineries and restaurants visit
http://www.cheers2wine.com/Napa-Valley-Wine-Tour.html. You will find contact info on all of the wineries as well as direct links to each winery's website. Have fun!
quote:
Originally posted by JPBone:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
This is an incredibly open-ended question. I would do a little research and then come back with some more specific questions regarding restaurants, wineries to visit, adventures, etc.

Also, we don't know your budget.

Some of the better restaurants in Napa are:

The French Laundry
Bouchon
Ad Hoc
Martini House*
Terra
La Toque
Bistro Jeanty
Market*
Mustard's
Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen*
Redd

Those are all different prices and levels of formality, though. And the only ones I've personally been to are the ones I asterisked.

In terms of "fun places"... Honestly, I like the Jelly Belly factory on the way up north to Napa from Berkeley.


All of the food choices you were given are great. Try Ad Hoc on a Monday night for Fried Chicken (make a reservation now). I would also second Terra, Bistro Jeanty and Cindy's.

The French Laundry would be phenomenal but ..... ridiculously priced


Mustards great for lunch. Make reservations though. For fun eat at teh copper clad bar, have wine, and onion rings. The best
My wife and I recently biked through Napa (very light riding) with Napa Valley Bike tours. We rode for 4 days but I believe they also have day trips. This was a great way to visit smaller wineries and enjoy the California weather. We had great meals at Redd and Bistro Jeanty.
Its been a couple of years now, but I spent a wonderful day up in Spring Mountain tasting at various winery's. Packed a picnic lunch on the way at Dean and DeLucas, for my Pride tasting. At bottom of the mountain stopped at Martini house for an informal dinner...Kobe burger, heirloom tomatoe salad. That was a great day. Another casual place was the Rutherford grill for ribs and zin.
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Have you tried searching previous threads?
Yep, and please try the “Travel and Entertainment” section first.
We were there in mid July and ate at Angele (salmon and bass)and Napa General Store (great fish and chips)in Napa, and the Rutherford Grill (great ribs!; try the Del Bondio syrah with it!) Some great places to visit - Kuleto (call early and it'll be $35 per person, but worth it!), Vincent Arroyo, Hess, Ceja in downtown Napa (music on Friday night and salsa lessons and dancing on Saturday), Bouchaine on your way coming from San Fran and V. Sattui for a picnic lunch with their rose'. I hear Frogs Leap is great but I waited too long to call. Maybe next time!! Razz
quote:
Originally posted by PetiteSyrahFan:
For eating, it is pretty hard to go wrong with Mustards, Brix or Rutherford Grill. Not high end, but just good food for the money.


Brix is now "25° Brix" and is completely redone - decor and menu. No longer fusion, but apparently more of a wine-country cooking style. I haven't been there since the change, and I haven't heard what anyone else thinks of it yet.
Just got back from Napa this weekend...

Had a good time, as well as good wine at:

Beringer
Mondavi
BV
V Sattui
Whitehall Lane
Grgich Hills

Quite snooty people at Joseph Phelps, although it is absolutely gorgeous.
Take a couple days and go over to Sonoma County, especially Russian River, Green Valley and Dry Creek.
quote:
Originally posted by GreenDrazi:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Have you tried searching previous threads?
Yep, and please try the “Travel and Entertainment” section first.


All the warmth of friendliness of an ex mother-in-law

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×