Skip to main content

Visual Analysis:
Deep golden color, hardly any rim variation, only color gradation. Day-bright. Dense, full body.

Nose:
Golden raisins, wildflower honey, dates, brine, chamomile flower, and an almost chalky undernote.

Taste:
Intense, well-rounded sweetness. Wildflower honey, salted caramel, golden raisin, chamomile flower, apricots, dried peaches, roasted chestnuts, honeysuckle, candied apple. A pleasant, lingering, complex finish that made me crafe some Foie Gras. Smile

200g sugar/L, and according to winemaker, showing at its peak this year and next.

Overall, a quite enjoyable first Tokaji experience.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Winosaur - those can be quite wonderful. For me, there's no better sweet wine made in the world. Even the best Sauternes doesn't quite have the same tension or grace that a good Tokaji-Aszú has. Sauska is a decent producer - I don't know which you had but they do a bottling from the Szent Tamás dűlő in Mád, or the St. Thomas hillside, which is one of the best vineyards there - one that you'd compare to a grand cru in Burgundy.

Generally, the best that someone puts out is going to be the 6P, so you started at the top.
quote:
Originally posted by wineimages.com:
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
Generally, the best that someone puts out is going to be the 6P, so you started at the top.

Winosaur could still search for the Essencia Smile

I've had 4p 5p and 6p a number of times, including highly rated by critics, and found them generally to be underwhelming. Good for those who enjoy them (tastes do differ). For me there are many other stickies out there that impress more: Sauternes, Riesling (and all the varying degress), Icewine (Multiple varieties), Late Harvest: Riesling, Vidal, Gewurtz, Roussane, Cab Franc, Pinot Gris, Muscatel....
quote:
Winosaur could still search for the Essencia

Yeah but for the most part that's put out for Americans who think more is always better. Traditionally it was poured back into the wine to improve the 6P, and the 6P is actually the wine that is the gold standard as it were. It was debased under communism, but it's back and the Esszencia is kind of a curiosity. It's interesting to be sure, but not really wine.

VinCentric - that's fine and personal tastes differ. There's no right or wrong answer. I like sweet wine in general but for me, there's no better sweet wine on the planet than a good Tokaji-Aszú.

As far as botrytized wines go, Sauternes are sweeter with less apparent acidity and BTW, it's quite legal to add sugar AND to use cryoextraction to make Sauternes. Hell, people want to pay $995 for a bottle of d'Yquem so they'd be crazy not to put something on the market! Especially if you can sweeten it with cheap Cuban sugar. The only close botrytized wines IMO are those from the Loire, but even those lack the complexity. Those from Germany and Austria are very good too, but again, they usually don't have the complexity you get from blending a dry wine with the botrytized grapes.

Icewine isn't in the same league - also mostly about the syrup.

Things like PX and Vin Santo and Vine de Paille are interesting but again we're talking mostly about sweetness and the never have the lift that the aszu wines do.

Moscatel? Yeah, it's nice and we used to sell one of the better ones - it's like drinking sweet peach syrup. Delicious when chilled. Moscatel sherry too. I probably drink more of those just because I have more of them and encounter them more often, but those are like Rosemount Diamond Label Shiraz vs some Hermitage from Chave.

Fortified wines are a completely different game. As a general rule I find them extremely clumsy by comparison, whether they be Ports or something from Australia or Fondillon or something similar. Sometimes they can be delicious and you don't mind the clumsiness, but I wouldn't compare them. It's like Mozart vs some bluegrass band. Both fine in their places.

Icewine isn't in the same league either - the botrytis adds a layer of complexity that the other wines simply will never have. Cab Franc? I have yet to have a great one. The ones I've had are also curiosities more than anything else.

The non-fortified wines like Constantia and Commandaria and some of the Rivesaltes wines can be really interesting and delicious. Very different however, in the way that a Melon de Bourgogne and a Zinfandel are different - i.e. they're wines we drink.

The wines from Tokaj don't have any of the power of those other wines. They're far more subtle. I love them all actually, even the clumsy ones because well, they're good. But for me the most amazing are far and away the Tokaji-Aszú wines.

Cheers!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.