Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Wanted was on TV yesterday. Silly concept, but we enjoyed it for what it was. I’m not normally crazy about Angelina Jolie, but she was pretty hot in this movie. Wish they played up her character a little more actually.

Yep, interesting flick, not terrible. More Jolie is usually not a bad thing. Seeing films like this makes me all the more appreciative of how much The Matrix changed filmmaking.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
unFunny People. For the 1/2 hour we saw before walking out: 1/2

I do not remember ever walking out on a movie.

So, you've never seen a bad film in a theater? And, if you have, you'd just as soon sit through it as not?
Some would think we wasted 13 bucks. I prefer to think that my wife and I enjoyed the next two hours more than if we'd sat through that dog of a movie.
quote:
quote:
quote:
unFunny People. For the 1/2 hour we saw before walking out: 1/2

I do not remember ever walking out on a movie.

So, you've never seen a bad film in a theater? And, if you have, you'd just as soon sit through it as not?
Some would think we wasted 13 bucks. I prefer to think that my wife and I enjoyed the next two hours more than if we'd sat through that dog of a movie.

Sure I have seen some bad movies before in the theater, I just noted I can never recall walking out before.

I also can not think of a book I did not finish, but might be wrong. I have often struggled early in a book, but found it finished well, but not always.
quote:

I also can not think of a book I did not finish, but might be wrong. I have often struggled early in a book, but found it finished well, but not always.

At the risk of abuse from some here, I'll confess to not being able to finish Ulysses. Not once, but twice and the second time I made it to about page 500. At times it was brilliant, but never an easy read and it just wore me down both times. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

At the risk of abuse from some here, I'll confess to not being able to finish Ulysses. Not once, but twice and the second time I made it to about page 500. At times it was brilliant, but never an easy read and it just wore me down both times. Frown

I had no choice. It was required reading and our entire grade one semester. Smile

Are you a fan of James Joyce?
quote:

Never unable to finish a book, but have had a similar experience with a movie.

Twice, fell asleep trying to get through Chariots of Fire.
Never saw it again. Roll Eyes

Loved Ulysses (read the book at age 12)! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Never unable to finish a book, but have had a similar experience with a movie.

Twice, fell asleep trying to get through Chariots of Fire.
Never saw it again. Roll Eyes

Loved Ulysses (read the book at age 12)! Smile

Chariots of Fire is one of my all-time favorite movies. Imo, brilliantly acted, filmed, and scored.

I've read Ulysses, but once was enough.
Gran Torino

It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but I liked it. All except for Eastwood trying to croon his way through a song over the ending credits. Good god Red Face, whoever thought that would be a good idea?
Watching was a bit uncomfortable, as Clint's character reminded me of my own father. Not quite to that degree, but certainly in that direction.
Couple days ago with a colleague from a trip to Iraq: The Hurt Locker (my second time): ****
Last night: Pursuit of Happyness: ***
Fast and Furious: *
Lobbying my wife to go see District 9 today.

quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
indy, saw terminator at the second run theatre for $2. It was decent with alot of action but not classic like the others.

Cool. I know I liked it better than most did.
quote:
quote:
District 9: ***

Interesting.

I talked to a number of folks at last nights off-line, and ALL gave it 5 stars.

I'm worried I will expect too much.

I'm in need of the great winetarelli's opinion here. Cool

I didn't get a chance to see it today. Will see tomorrow and report back!
quote:
quote:

Interesting.

Four stars is my top end, so *** is still an excellent movie in my book, lots of originality. But, for me, it lacked a couple of things, and fell into a couple of traps that it didn't need to. I don't want to talk too much about it, as most folks haven't seen it yet.
quote:
quote:

Interesting.

Get thee to a movie theatre... NOW! Wink

Ok, here is my review, without giving anything away:

You know how it is sometimes easier to find faults with a great * or even ** Michelin restaurant than it is to find faults with a good NY Pizzeria or good taco joint? You know the fancy restaurant is better, but it is also easier to critique. I feel the same can be true of movies, where a silly throw away movie (Transformers, etc) there really isn't much to say about, but great movies you can actually find lots of faults with. I think that is the case here, and this is a great movie.

Almost all of the charatcers are one-dimentional, except for one character there is absolutely no character development, the movie is heavy-handed in almost all aspects (really evil people, really strong emotions, obvious social commentary), the incident that generates the plot doesn't make any sense, and the payoff (third act) is probably 10 minutes too long.

All of that said, from an holistic perspective, this is a great movie. I think it is just shy of classic; it is not an A+, but it is a solid A. Ultimately, this probably (hopefully) won't be my favorite movie to come out this year, but it will almost certainly be in my top 5 of the year. I would put this right at the level of Children of Men from two years ago -- both because I think it is about as good (just shy of "classic") and also because much of the movie had a very similar feel to me.

It is absolutely ASTOUNDING that this movie could be made for 30 million USD. I would have guessed over 100 million had I not known. But Peter Jackson is such a genius when it comes to incorporating CGI into real settings, I guess they found a way.

This is, as I'm sure you might have guessed, a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen; even a home theatre won't really do it justice.

A
quote:
Good review winetarelli, and while I agree with most of it in principle, the restaurant analogy doesn't work for me, unless the tiny-little-film-that-could (District 9), cost a buck fifty to see. That said, it's a MUST SEE for anybody remotely interested in Sci-fi (my wife hated it, as she does all sci fi Frown).

I think you missed the point of my analogy, so I re-wrote it Wink
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
District 9

And your take on it?

K-

In the interest of full disclosure, I have an inherent bias when it comes to Sci-fi films. That being said, I thought that winetarelli's synopsis was accurate.

I would add that the movie has lots of gratuitous gore and blood.

Much of the film is shot like a documentary; it is an interesting perspective, but nothing new for this, or any other, genre.

I wouldn't call it a great movie (too many predictable characters and familiar plot-lines; even the aliens speech was stolen from characters in another movie), but it is entertaining.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

You know how it is sometimes easier to find faults with a great * or even ** Michelin restaurant than it is to find faults with a good NY Pizzeria or good taco joint? You know the fancy restaurant is better, but it is also easier to critique. I feel the same can be true of movies, where a silly throw away movie (Transformers, etc) there really isn't much to say about, but great movies you can actually find lots of faults with. I think that is the case here, and this is a great movie.

Try Beerfest & Man from Earth , I think you will enjoy them.

Both are movies with Dirt Low budget. I had no disappointment because of no expectation in the first place.
It's like drinking a $2 wine, and pleasantly surprised by it being better than a $15 bordeaux.
i normally love tarantino. 2:43 is not normally a problem so that's not it either. liberal view? not a problem. plodding, definately. missed it mark almost every single time. the whole theater was quiet when i know he meant for us to be laughing.

while i am no critic, i read this this morning and agree with every point:

Peter Bradshaw at the Cannes film festival
link

quote:
Tbird. Was the problem for you the length? The liberal view of history? Tarantino's sometimes plodding style of directing dialogue? Or, just not a Tarantino fan?
TBird

IMO, the Peter Bradshaw review (that you posted above) was right on target!

This may be #1 at the box office, and I'll bet many will give this movie an outstanding review, but the script seemed as if it was co-written by Tarantino and Mel Brooks! The opening scene was poignantly dramatic, and then the script began to meander inappropriately through comical scenes, drifting to the fantasy. Nothing sacred here, but if you can accept its crassness, it was mildly entertaining, but overlong!
quote:
quote:
The Spanish Prisoner.

What did/do you think? I'm a Mamet fan and I think this is one that is often overlooked. Another overlooked movie of his, if you've never seen it, is State and Main -- unusually lighthearted for him, but one of my favorite movies of his.

Loved it as most other Mamet films. Cool
quote:
quote:
Man on Wire

What was your impression of this?

K-

The movie was very interesting right from the start. Philippe's passion and determination carry the movie for quite a while. However, it began to drag a bit toward the middle, as it seemed that the story needed to be elongated in order to fill time.

I was amazed by the amount of footage he (Philippe) had from both his training and public appearances.

If you enjoy a good documentary, this is worth seeing.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Man on Wire

What was your impression of this?

K-

The movie was very interesting right from the start. Philippe's passion and determination carry the movie for quite a while. However, it began to drag a bit toward the middle, as it seemed that the story needed to be elongated in order to fill time.

I saw this a few months back.
Like you, in the beginning I really got into it. Loved the display of passion and determination.
However, somewhere past the mid point of the movie, my initial perspective of his passion began to turn to egotistical, self-flattering, self-admiring, self-applauding, self-glorious, narcissistic, pretentious and vane.
I felt compelled to push him off the wire myself. Roll Eyes
quote:
However, somewhere past the mid point of the movie, my initial perspective of his passion began to turn to egotistical, self-flattering, self-admiring, self-applauding, self-glorious, narcissistic, pretentious and vane.
I felt compelled to push him off the wire myself. Roll Eyes

Agreed! But what would you expect from a Frenchman? Wink
quote:
quote:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Big Grin

Razz I always go with Mrs. Gigabit to see the Potter movies, several weeks after their release dates. We sat in the back of the theater, burned through two buckets of popcorn, peanut M&M's, and my resourceful wife even brought a couple of beers to enjoy with the snacks (God, I sure love her).

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, especially the dialogue. I laughed out loud a couple of times. However, in the words of Elvis Presley: "A little less conversation, a little more action please." Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

Razz I always go with Mrs. Gigabit to see the Potter movies, several weeks after their release dates. We sat in the back of the theater, burned through two buckets of popcorn, peanut M&M's, and my resourceful wife even brought a couple of beers to enjoy with the snacks (God, I sure love her).

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, especially the dialogue. I laughed out loud a couple of times. However, in the words of Elvis Presley: "A little less conversation, a little more action please." Smile

As a movie, I both loved and hated HBP. I thought it was terrific, and also thought it could have been so much better.

The FF (luck potion) scenes are priceless, though.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

As a movie, I both loved and hated HBP. I thought it was terrific, and also thought it could have been so much better.

The FF (luck potion) scenes are priceless, though.

Was ready to anoint HBP as my favorite of the movies so far and then they left the funeral completely out of the movie, which IMO, is the most well written chapter from any of the books. That really tainted it for me, but I agree the movie was good and surprisingly funny. I also enjoyed the FF scenes and thought that Grint was hilarious when Ron had unwittingly ingested the love potion.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Insomnia. I can't stand Robin Williams as a comic actor but love him in his dramatic roles.

Are you kidding me? You mean films like Bicentennial Man, What Dreams May Come or Being Human? Blech. Pass. I'll take him in The Fisher King, Death to Smoochy or even Good Morning Vietnam anyday.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Insomnia. I can't stand Robin Williams as a comic actor but love him in his dramatic roles.

Are you kidding me? You mean films like Bicentennial Man, What Dreams May Come or Being Human? Blech. Pass. I'll take him in The Fisher King, Death to Smoochy or even Good Morning Vietnam anyday.

I think Robin Williams is just very hit-or-miss. His blue standup can be quite funny. His PG humor is beyond stale. His voice work MADE Alladin, but he is still doing the same schitck more than a dozen years later and it degrades his terrific performance then. He was funny in Mrs. Doutfire, though the laughs were a bit forced. He was VERY good in The Birdcage where he played more or less te straight man (no pun intended) in a comedy -- of course, referencing a Mike Nichols movie may not be the best defense of Williams on account of the whole genius thing. But that seems to be Williams' MO. Brilliant in Good Will Hunting, but that was directed by Gus Van Sant. Insomnia was directed by Christopher Nolan. So, I think it has more to do with when Williams is in a movie that is aspiring to be really good and is directed by people who can keep him in check, he is good. He is quite bad in most of the 'typical' Robin Williams movies, though.
District 9

I, personally, was very disappointed in this movie. I didn't know what to expect walking in, but walked out at the end wondering just what the h*ll was that. I enjoy Science Fiction very much. But this, to me, IMHO, was a Gamer's movie and not much more than that. I'm avoiding more detail to avoid giving anything away for others that might have not had the opportunity to see this. Judge for yourself.

PASS
quote:
District 9

I, personally, was very disappointed in this movie. I didn't know what to expect walking in, but walked out at the end wondering just what the h*ll was that. I enjoy Science Fiction very much. But this, to me, IMHO, was a Gamer's movie and not much more than that. I'm avoiding more detail to avoid giving anything away for others that might have not had the opportunity to see this. Judge for yourself.

PASS

Looks like I will be waiting for On-Demand.

Thanks.
quote:
quote:
District 9

PASS

Looks like I will be waiting for On-Demand.

Thanks.

Hmmmm... I think you ought to see it on a big screen. It will lose a lot (I really enjoyed it) even on a 60" TV.

If only for the production values (a 30m movie that looks like it cost 150 to make) it is interesting, though, as I said, I really dug it and thought that the lead actor's performance was good.
quote:
the happening<--dumber than the dumbest thing i can think of. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Absolutely agree. One of the worst movies I've ever endured, and after watching it I swore to never watch another M. Night Shamdirectorman film...ever. He got lucky with The Sixth Sense. Shame on the fore-mentioned Zooey for participating in this crappy film.

We watched The Departed a couple of nights ago. I had already seen it once, but after this second time, I really liked it a lot better. And damn if DiCaprio wasn't good in yet another role. I may eventually have to admit he's a good actor.
quote:
quote:
Gone Baby Gone. The story became predictable after the first 30 mins, but it was so intense it kept me watching the whole time.

I have never seen this movie, but find Affleck a terrible actor.

I find Ben terrible, but Casey is the one who is in it -- Ben directed. I loved this movie. Ben should stay behind the camera.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Gone Baby Gone. The story became predictable after the first 30 mins, but it was so intense it kept me watching the whole time.

I have never seen this movie, but find Affleck a terrible actor.

I find Ben terrible, but Casey is the one who is in it -- Ben directed. I loved this movie. Ben should stay behind the camera.
I thought Casey did a nice job in this roll.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
That time of the year again - Mississippi Burning and The 13th Warrior.

I thought the 13th Warrior was underrated. First of all, how many movies are there with an Islamic protagonist? And the Vikings are much more complex, clever, and humorous than anticipated; these aren't just ignorant brutes from the North.

I've always enjoyed the movie...