quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Man, I loved that movie.

I can not imagine it is the same on a small screen.

its not. I took my wife to see this movie for our first serious date. We own a copy and it is not the same - even on a 52 in plasma.

Good movie though....

G
quote:
Originally posted by Primordealsoup:
Yes, w/ Jet Li. Came out in '02? I think it is one that Tarantino helped bring to the US.

I agree that the story was a bit lacking. Crouching Tiger was better in that respect. But many scenes are fantastic as far as choreography is concerned.

Ditto. Good flick. If you find you like those two, might check out "Iron Monkey" as well. It was an early 90s film that was released in the US about a decade later. Good, not great story, top notch fight choreography.
Re: Rutget Hauer: Granted. I almost put a smiley face next to that comment, but it wouldn't have conveyed the snideness of my remark. Maybe googley eyes would have been better. Great job by Rutger though.

This is the latest (and hopefully last) cut by Director Ridley Scott. Came out last year, I think. Not sure if it is on Blue Ray, but the picture and sound are excellent on the DVD I have, and there is no Harrison Ford narration (like Director's cut too I believe). If you've already seen it, this is the best version. Other subtle changes too.
quote:
Originally posted by thirsty man:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Also, Rutger Hauer's career performance.

Haven't seen this cut as I remember. Love the film though. Agreed on Hauer's career performance, but you have to admit that's not saying a lot.

not to pile on - but what would the contenders be?

Hi TM! Hope the event down in Nashtucky, Wink, went excellently!

Hauer was pretty good in The Hitcher. He does a nice job at "creepy" in that one if you haven't seen it.
it was wonderful and we were sorry you and your beautiful bride were unable to attend. I'll see if I can dig out the menu and pairings. We had three wines older than my brother (who attended) and every course was excellent (plus they did a separate vegetarian pairing - for the veg heads in the group). I'll have to check The Hitcher out - not one I've seen before.

G
quote:
Originally posted by Mezzo Litro:
quote:
Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Great movie and arguably the best Sci-Fi soundtrack ever. Also, Rutger Hauer's career performance.

I watched the original version about 6 months ago. What's different in "The Final Cut"? Rutger kills Harrison?

No alternate endings. Just subtle edits, some optional commentaries from Ridley Scott, or producers, etc... A better picture and sound too and no narration overlay. I think of all the versions, this was the best.
Elite Squad - sounds like a B movie but its Brazilian and a translation from the original title Tropa De Elite. Which still sounds like a B movie. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. It is about the Brazilian BOPE and their war on drugs in the Favelas. The subject matter is police corruption and law enforcement versus drug dealers. Nothing too original but watching the BOPE shoot drug dealers in the back, hold bags over peoples faces during interrogation was practically mesmerizing. Maybe it is the lack of Hollywood sheen or the less ham fisted approach to storytelling but it felt realistic to me. Watching the BOPE commander reason and conclude that he let an interrogated drug lackey go free so he would be murdered after speaking to the victim’s mother was.... well different. Interesting movie, I believe based on a true story.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Wino:
SICKO

What an eye opener.

I would take anything Michael Moore does with a grain of salt, a very LARGE grain of salt.

Agreed. Massive amounts of salt. That said, he is a great film maker. Roger and Me has to be one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Wino:
SICKO

What an eye opener.

I would take anything Michael Moore does with a grain of salt, a very LARGE grain of salt.

What if that makes you sick? Are you covered for salt ingestion?

We watched Baby Mama (and the Canucks game). I'm a fan of both female leads, but this wasn't as witty as I expect them to be.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Milk - very very good
Rachel Getting Married - good but tough to take. Miss Hathaway... ahhhh...
Bond Quantum of Solace - I enjoyed this more than the critics
Raiders of the Lost Ark - still a favorite
The Tale of Desperaux - will let you know

The Tale of Desperaux was great if you are a child at heart, like me. The animation was quite beautiful and I liked the voice cast. That said, it really does work for the child in you, so if you're not in touch with that...
quote:
The Tale of Desperaux was great if you are a child at heart, like me. The animation was quite beautiful and I liked the voice cast. That said, it really does work for the child in you, so if you're not in touch with that...

Agreed.

I watched this with D's 8yr old daughter and enjoyed it. Good flick.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Doubt

Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Cool

W+A, have you seen Doubt?

PSH was brilliant in it... but he gave the third best performance. (Meryl Streep was sublime ad Viola Davis was just heart-stoppingly good.) By far the most well acted movie of last year, imo. And one of the best.
quote:
PSH was brilliant in it... but he gave the third best performance. (Meryl Streep was sublime ad Viola Davis was just heart-stoppingly good.) By far the most well acted movie of last year, imo. And one of the best.

I believe that PSH outshone them all, even the great Meryl Streep. His range is amazing, as he demonstrated throughout the entire movie.

Although Viola Davis was very good during her limited appearance, Amy Adams was better, imo.

I agree completely that it was the most well-acted movie of 2008.
quote:
quote:

I have not...

You should. Cool

I will, I just had my doubt.[/QUOTE]
Razz

Saw State of Play tonight. Good movie; Ben Affleck was not particularly good in it, but Russel Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright Penn, Hellen Mirren, Jason Bateman, and Jeff Daniels were are good. And the story is very good and the plot turns and twists sort of make sense. Overall I'd give it a B+ if we don't use grade inflation.
quote:

Saw State of Play tonight. Good movie; Ben Affleck was not particularly good in it, but Russel Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright Penn, Hellen Mirren, Jason Bateman, and Jeff Daniels were are good. And the story is very good and the plot turns and twists sort of make sense. Overall I'd give it a B+ if we don't use grade inflation.

When is Affleck ever good, and soon to be, Robin Wright Penn. Wink

Thanks for the positive report.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:

Mila Kunis & Kristen Bell were pretty damn hot in that movie

And if you had to choose???

Mila...[/QUOTE]With ease...[/QUOTE]

Glenn, you are truly a man with a keen and astute eye, as well as discerning and judicious. Cool[/QUOTE]As are you my good man. Smile
Watched Team America last night. God, that movie is smart and funny!!!

Tbird, I have heard dont ever watch Marley and me or turn it off a half hour before it ends. I have a dog and have no desire to watch what I am sure is a very cute and funny movie until it turns into a sob fest. I cried during I am Legend when the dog was killed, so there is no way I will watch Marley and me.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiral:
After Reindeer Games, I've never been able to take Ben Affleck seriously. I can't understand how he's has reached the status he has.

I think Affleck peaked in Dogma, which was a bit of self-parody. Funny how Matt Damon has grown and surpassed Affleck (the pretty boy) as an actor.

I agree Affleck sucks as an actor. However... Gone Baby Gone, which he directed, was brilliant, imo.
quote:
quote:
After Reindeer Games, I've never been able to take Ben Affleck seriously. I can't understand how he's has reached the status he has.

I think Affleck peaked in Dogma, which was a bit of self-parody. Funny how Matt Damon has grown and surpassed Affleck (the pretty boy) as an actor.

Matt Damon has always been the better actor by far. I liked Affleck in Shakespeare in Love I have to say and Dogma of course.
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:
quote:

actually, i think he peaked in Mallrats and a slight regression with Chasing Amy

I was thinking he peaked in Boiler Room.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
quote:

Matt Damon has always been the better actor by far. I liked Affleck in Shakespeare in Love I have to say and Dogma of course.

I heard that he does a nice job in Hollywoodland. I just added it to my Netflix queue.
sound advice. we watched it and yes, it is SAD. Frown Frown Frown

quote:
Originally posted by jburman82:
Tbird, I have heard dont ever watch Marley and me or turn it off a half hour before it ends. I have a dog and have no desire to watch what I am sure is a very cute and funny movie until it turns into a sob fest. I cried during I am Legend when the dog was killed, so there is no way I will watch Marley and me.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Mila Kunis & Kristen Bell were pretty damn hot in that movie

And if you had to choose???

Mila...

Yep yep.

quote:
Former 15,

I know I'm in the minority, but I have found her work the last decade+ very hit and miss. Red Face

I think she has phoned it in quite a bit in the past 15 years. I mean, really ever since Death Becomes Her...

HOWEVER, potentially unlike several of the old-guard male actors (DeNiro, Pacino, Hoffman, etc who are all older than she is) I think she is still easily *capable*. I mean, even in The Devil Wears Prada she was wonderful. But in Doubt I think she is even better. (I really don't know when the last time I saw a terrific, nuanced, performance from any of those guys I mentioned was.)
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
have a great time! months ago i thought it might go badly. but i avoided all commercials and reviews and went in blind. can i just say...AWESOME?!!!!

quote:
quote:
star trek. incredibly f'in awesome!

Going with my son tonight. Smile

Cool - the reviews have been very positive
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
have a great time! months ago i thought it might go badly. but i avoided all commercials and reviews and went in blind. can i just say...AWESOME?!!!!

quote:
quote:

Cool - the reviews have been very positive

I'm going tomorrow at 2:30 (DLP). Cool
quote:

quote:
quote:

Cool - the reviews have been very positive[/QUOTE]
I'm going tomorrow at 2:30 (DLP). Cool[/QUOTE]

I think I will put this movie in the same camp as Batman.... not too likely.
quote:
quote:

I may be the only one, but I have never seen one Star Trek TV show or movie.

...make that two. Red Face

...three. Popcorn

I have seen excerpts and when flipping through the channels growing up I'd see it on...but I don't think I ever watched more than 5 minutes of any episode.
good question. my initial thoughts were "no way", you need some history to fully appreciate it.
upon further consideration and knowing the way jj abrahms works, i think he may have put it together well enough to be a great stand alone sci fi film.
i think it'd make a great science project tho so please, go for it and report back! Smile

quote:
I may be the only one, but I have never seen one Star Trek TV show or movie. Would I not understand the new movie having zero background or does it stand on its own?
quote:
quote:
I may be the only one, but I have never seen one Star Trek TV show or movie. Would I not understand the new movie having zero background or does it stand on its own?

Make that 4 of us...

I think I saw Star Trek 2, The Search for Curly's Gold, when I was a kid, but that's it.
One thing about Star Trek has been really bugging me since I saw it Friday. They obviously spent a lot of money on the film, with one glaring exception: the scenes in the Enterprise Engine Room. They did not bother to build a set, nor even greenscreen one for the actors to pretend in. Instead, they filmed in what looks to be a volumnous brewery or refinery (a very clean one, if it was a refinery.) Many films and tv shows do this to save money, as the never ending, twisting pipes could reasonably be anything or anywhere. But not a 23rd century starship. The cheapie set on the original tv show looked better than this!
And had they just done one scene, I could've seen the reason for skipping the set-building. But they do at least 4 or 5 scenes in this brewery or whatever it is! That really cheapened it for me, and I lost some respect for the endeavor.
quote:
that didn't bother me one bit. the only thing that slightly bothered me -SPOILER ALERT SO READ NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN YET AND STILL PLAN TO- was the death of spocks mom, whom we've clearly met after these events. i suppose the changed timeline could explain it but still.....

There were other things that I'll mention later. Didn't want to spill all the beans just yet.
mneeley - didn't really notice the engineering/boiler/brewery room before, but now that you've made the comment it did seem a bit out of place.

In terms of stuff that doesn't make sense, any movie that has a "timeline" issue seems to ignore the grandfather paradox - when my wife starting asking questions about it afterwards I told her not to think too hard about it.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
Star Trek - fast paced and entertaining, just what you want out of this type of movie.

Yup! Excellent. I didn't take my eyes off the screen for a second. Doesn't matter if the plot's not perfect; it'll get an Oscar nomination for sound engineering.

Has to be seen on the big screen.

Exactly, and definitely. Smile
As for the "alternate timeline" theme, this has been the subject of numerous episodes in all of the series. In every one of them, the characters go to great lengths to re-establish the "correct" timeline. To let something catastrophic occur that didn't happen before, and then just shrug and say, "Oh, well," doesn't do justice to the franchise, IMO.

I walked out of the theater thinking this was a pretty good movie. And it is a good Stand Alone movie. But the more I think about it, the less I like it from the producers standpoint.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Another all-time favorite of mine, The Natural

Recently Goodfellas and now The Natural; excellent choices. Cool

Thanks gig! Color me naive, but I've always felt that pretty much every professional baseball player should watch The Natural, if only to remind them what got them (or should have got them) into baseball in the first place (for the love of the game and not so much the money).