Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:
The Room - This movie is known as the Citizen Kane of bad movies. It is so bad that it's so good. I highly recommend it, in fact I am 98 points on that. This drama comedy will knock your socks off.

So weird you posted this. My friend just texted me to watch it with him this weekend as the director is going to be in the audience too. It's one of those audience participation films. Apparently you throw plastic cutlery and american footballs at the screen?...
Wine Sparty,

Mixed feelings. Pat Tillman is awesome. Natural born athlete, outdoorsman, with strong mind and body. I always admired him for being an NFL player making millions and then joining the army and becoming a Ranger.

Watching the family's pain is tough though, the brother at the funeral particularly. What happened, why/how/who is a little disturbing.

I would say get it and watch it because Pat Tillman = Perfect Human Being and it gives you some insight to his life and family.
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Wine Sparty,

Mixed feelings. Pat Tillman is awesome. Natural born athlete, outdoorsman, with strong mind and body. I always admired him for being an NFL player making millions and then joining the army and becoming a Ranger.

Watching the family's pain is tough though, the brother at the funeral particularly. What happened, why/how/who is a little disturbing.

I would say get it and watch it because Pat Tillman = Perfect Human Being and it gives you some insight to his life and family.

Thanks. I'm not sure I agree with the level of praise you put on Tillman, but my take on that is mostly based on reading Krakauer's book on him (which could be distorted, for all I know). I certainly admire him for the choice he made for giving up the money and defending his country, but the Perfect Human Being is not a way I view him (or anyone, for that matter).
Dead Again

I could go on and on about how big of a role this movie played in my pre-teens. Basically, this is the first movie I ever saw that I watched critically and considered to be work product. I hadn't seen it in years. Even knowing the plot twists, this remains a great piece of work, imo. One of those movies that may never have gotten the critical acclaim / awards / money it deserved, but when you mention it to another movie lover, his face normally just lights up -- rightfully so. It is excellent. And for those who've not seen it, my understanding is that it is the movie that thrust Ken Branagh and Emma Thompson both into the 'star' category, and you should rent it.
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
My wife and I finally watched The King's Speech. We both thought it was an excellent movie.

Memo to Christian Bale: I enjoyed your performance in The Fighter very much; however, the award should have gone to Geoffrey Rush.

Ditto and Ditto.

Black Swan - in spite of the naughty parts, my wife liked it more than I. Hmmm...perhaps she liked it more because of the naughty parts!
Recovering from double hernia surgery, I loaded up on a few mindless movies and one good one.

Knight and Day -- certainly filled the mindless part of the criteria. Cameron Diaz was nice to look at.
Unstoppable -- again, mindless movie. Predictable but not bad.
Inception -- a few holes in it, but I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
Quantum Solace (or something like that -- most recent James Bond flick I believe) -- actually have only watched about half as I was falling asleep. Typical James Bond action. Might have been the pain pill I took, but the action sequences seemed as if they were speeded up a bit.
Salt Kind of pedestrian action thriller, I thought.

The Girl That Kicked the Hornet's Nest I liked everything about this except the very end. Didn't seem the weakest by any means, unless you dislike courtroom dramas, although the actress did seem bored of the role. Interesting to see how Swedish court proceedure differs from ours.
The Next Three Days -- Overall I enjoyed it; I'd say 3 out of 5 starts

The Fighter -- Excellent. I can see what all the fuss was about.

The Wrestler -- I can see why this got praise from the critics, but I found it a bit bleak and depressing. Maybe I just wasn't in the right place to watch this. It is hard to believe that the star in this movie (Mickey Rourke) is the same person that appeared in Diner years ago. I'd give it 2.5 starts, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who liked it much more than I did.
Regarding Rear Window: I understand that it's a classic, I understand why some would put it in their top ten of all time, shooting an entire film from one room is a great concept. But, once I got past that, it was a very good movie, and I could have gone with ***1/2 if I'd seen it on a big screen, but it wasn't ****, no way. I preferred Vertigo, NbNW, Psycho, Strangers on a Train, even The Birds. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen Rear Window, and while it was novelly and well photographed, I found some of the twists predictable (any doubt the dog would end up dead?), and the chemistry between the leads was forced, at best. Very good, absolutely. Great? No.

quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
The Hurt Locker -- Really enjoyed it.

Outstanding. A top ten war movie in my book, easily.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Regarding Rear Window: I understand that it's a classic, I understand why some would put it in their top ten of all time, shooting an entire film from one room is a great concept. But, once I got past that, it was a very good movie, and I could have gone with ***1/2 if I'd seen it on a big screen, but it wasn't ****, no way. I preferred Vertigo, NbNW, Psycho, Strangers on a Train, even The Birds. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen Rear Window, and while it was novelly and well photographed, I found some of the twists predictable (any doubt the dog would end up dead?), and the chemistry between the leads was forced, at best. Very good, absolutely. Great? No.

quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
The Hurt Locker -- Really enjoyed it.

Outstanding. A top ten war movie in my book, easily.

Funny that I was thinking it was one of the best war movies I've seen also. Have to say I'm in the Winetarelli and W + A camp on Rear Window. Not sure I'd put it in my Top 10 of all time, but certainly one of my favorite Hitchcock films. And Grace Kelly is stunning.
quote:
Originally posted by Gigond Ass:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Green Hornet

The 10 yr old loved it. I found it tedious.
+1. Meh...

I had the same reaction. My son enjoyed it though. Who would have thought the fat kid from Freaks and Geeks would be a leading man?

On a side note: For those of you who are collectors, do you know what the most valuable Thermos lunchbox of all time is? Yep, the 1960's Green Hornet. Guess what luchbox I had, and is now long gone? Right again. Frown
The Tourist

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a huge A. Jolie fan or J. Depp fan. First, the ending was way too easy to figure out. Second, I could have cared less about the character Jolie played. She played the character with this strange air about her that I found boring and made it impossible to connect with any character.

After watching this movie, I begin to think about how many movies I've liked Jolie in. I've never seen Girl, Interrupted, A Mighty Heart or Changeling, so maybe I've just never seen her at her best, but I'm not sure other than looks why she is a star.
Going to the movies tonight, not certain what we'll see yet:

We all are willing to see Bridesmaids, Thor, and Fast Five, the second two of which might be much better on the big screen... but the movie we all really want to see is Midnight in Paris -- "they" say it is Allen's best movie in many decades. I don't know if the big screen will help it, though.

[edit] Well, apparently, Midnight in Paris has not opened here yet, so that is out.
Last edited by winetarelli
The Great Raid

An average to good movie made better because of the subject. Movie is based on the largest rescue mission in U.S. history, freeing of 511 POWs from Cabanatuan camp in Phillipines. Archival footage at the end of the movie is truly inspirational. One could do worse if looking for a movie to remember why we celebrate Memorial Day.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Former15, The Tree of Life is also getting much press here currently.

I think that is getting some controversy over here with some loving it, and some not so much. Certainly, Penn is one of my favorite actors and I think Pitt's 'pretty boy' image has kept him from being taken as seriously as his talents should have allowed. So that is certainly on my RADAR.

FWIW: Thor is mindless fun. An unusual turn, and a bit of a letdown, for a Ken Branagh movie -- then again, I've still never seen a movie of his that I did not like.
The wife and I finally watched Black Swan last night. It was alright, but by no means great or what we expected.

And the much anticipated sex scene between Portman and Kunis was a rip off in my book. We didn't even get any damn nudity! Don't they realize most men watched that movie for that one scene alone? I think I speak for all of us when I say we wanted more.
quote:
Originally posted by AZwineRyan:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by sydthesquid:
District 9.

People actually liked this?

I enjoyed it. I didn't think it lived up to the hype, but I enjoyed it. Beyond the action, I thought the performance by the lead actor was very good.

+1

I found it enjoyable, and the lead actor was incredible.

I liked the humour, action and violence. I liked the lead guy and the South African special forces colonel was a great adversary. I hope there is a sequel.
+1 for District 9. I just saw it too, and a novel flick. ***1/2 for the first 2/3 of the movie, ** for the shoot-em-up last 1/3.
Definitely set up for a sequel.

quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Good flick! Have you seen Iron Monkey? It's not as good, but similar wire-fu and a decent enough plot to carry the martial arts mayhem.
I'm surprised there's so many in agreement that the original Hangover was a subpar flick. I found it to be an instant classic that had me on the verge of tears several times during the first time I watched it.

Ofcourse I'm excited about the sequel, but they did rub me the wrong way a bit during production on this one. The fact that they re-cast what was gonna be Mel Gibson's role because of the controversy that went on between he and his wife on the infamous "phone call" was ridiculous. They now want to take the moral high-ground? They can cast a convicted rapist and ear-biter in Mike Tyson, but have reservations about a guy who let his wife have it over the phone? Just silly.
I thought the original was very funny. Not "classic" but very funny.

Re: Gibson v. Tyson. I think it is more complex than mneeley490 makes it out to be.

1) One of them hasn't done something publicly bad in, like 10 years, so that is a difference.

But

2) The casting of Tyson in his particular role as himself does not legitimize him as a human being, whereas casting Gibson in a cameo in the immediate aftermath of the tapes being released (and the anti-semetic remarks a couple of years earlier, etc) would have been seen by many as a show of support for him, or at least, a show of legitimizing him as an actor. I believe that it was Zack Galifinakis who voiced an objection and that his objection was ultimately supported by other cast members. That is the rumor, anyway. I have no problem with Gibson not working in this, nor any other movie for that matter. (Although I do recognize him as a talent.)

AZwineRyan,

Without defending Tyson's actions in any way (though I do recall some controversy in his rape conviction) I want to distinguish "letting your wife have it over the phone" versus what Gibson did. Everyone says things they are not proud of in tones they are not proud of. Not everyone says things or threaten things in a totally inexcusable fashion, as Gibson did.
quote:
I'm surprised there's so many in agreement that the original Hangover was a subpar flick. I found it to be an instant classic that had me on the verge of tears several times during the first time I watched it.
Agreed, I even found it funnier after watching it a few more times. I'm looking forward to the sequel this weekend, I have no doubt it will over the top and silly at times, but I'm still looking forward to some good laughs nonetheless.
quote:

Re: Gibson v. Tyson. I think it is more complex than mneeley490 makes it out to be.

Yes, it was more complex. And just for the record, I'm not trying to compare Gibson to Tyson, more just make a point. I personally am a huge fan of Mike Tyson as a boxer, and easily consider him the best I've had a chance to watch live in my lifetime.

quote:
I believe that it was Zack Galifinakis who voiced an objection and that his objection was ultimately supported by other cast members. That is the rumor, anyway.

I believe that's how it went down as well...at least that's what I read several months ago. Once again, I'm sorry, but that's just silly in my book. I mean who the heck is Zack Galifinakis? He's not the director or producer. The guy should be more worried about growing his beard out than the casting of Mel Gibson.

quote:
I want to distinguish "letting your wife have it over the phone" versus what Gibson did. Everyone says things they are not proud of in tones they are not proud of. Not everyone says things or threaten things in a totally inexcusable fashion, as Gibson did.

I completely agree that what he did was inexcusable. But this issue now brings me to an entirely different hollywood incident stemming from years ago. I'm sure most of us remember Alec Baldwin completey laying into his own young daughter over the phone a few years back. Well, for Alec's career, it was as if it never happened. He's been bigger in hollywood/television than ever since then. I personally think what Alec Baldwin said to his young and far more vulnerable and impressionable daughter over the phone was quite a bit worse than what Mel Gibson said to his grown wife. Baldwin has since been the star of a hit TV show and several blockbusters while Gibson's Apocalypto was snubbed for the best picture Oscar and he's been blacklisted in hollywood. The only real difference I see between these two is that Baldwin's a die-hard liberal, and Gibson's a conservative who has made anti-semitic remarks in the past...oh wait, there lies the answer. Wink I hate to play the cliche "liberal elitist" hollywood card, but I can certainly see the correlation in how those two different incidents played out.

On a side note, I personally think Gibson's role in Hangover 2 would of been hilarious. The second I heard he had been originally casted, I instantly thought of a role like Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder.
AZ,

Regarding Baldwin. I agree him blowing up on a voicemail to his daughter was horrible, but I disagree that it is as bad as the totality of Gibson's rants. Between the anti-semetism and the consistent (more than one time blow up) direct death threats to a woman who was in the same general area, worse. Baldwin threatened to fly 3,000 miles to "straighten [his daughter] out" once, on a voicemail. Gibson threatened to kill someone who was a few miles away several times. Also, I believe there were other racial comments as well... the "n" word.

I'm pretty certain political party makes less of a difference in the entertainment industry (re: getting roles) than you think it does -- last time I checked, Clint Eastwood was doing just fine. But I agree that it was the totality of the situation -- ALL the phone calls, the "n" word, anti-semetism, etc -- not one specific incident, that probably cost Gibson a minor role.
quote:
quote:
I believe that it was Zack Galifinakis who voiced an objection and that his objection was ultimately supported by other cast members. That is the rumor, anyway.

I believe that's how it went down as well...at least that's what I read several months ago. Once again, I'm sorry, but that's just silly in my book. I mean who the heck is Zack Galifinakis? He's not the director or producer. The guy should be more worried about growing his beard out than the casting of Mel Gibson.

Todd Phillps has said in interviews that it was not Galifinakis. Phillips said he made the decision based on an overall feeling of what the cast and crew felt.

Of course, that's the public line...maybe it really was one person. Regardless, folks like us will really never know.
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
I watched Black Swan over the weekend. I went from not liking it to liking it to not liking it while I watched it.

Wine Sparty,
As I said the minute I walked out of the theatre, it is a brilliantly acted and directed movie, but the script just wasn't particularly good. I wonder if that is what you may have been feeling?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
I watched Black Swan over the weekend. I went from not liking it to liking it to not liking it while I watched it.

Wine Sparty,
As I said the minute I walked out of the theatre, it is a brilliantly acted and directed movie, but the script just wasn't particularly good. I wonder if that is what you may have been feeling?

The ending is what killed (excuse the bad pun) me in regards to liking it. Maybe there was something 'deeper' that I missed about it, but I couldn't buy into it.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Biutiful

Thoughts? It's in the Netflix queue.

PH

A 'Must See'.
A bit heavy, just be prepared. But an excellent movie and a phenomenal performance by Javier Bardem. Every movie I see this guy in the more I respect him. He's achieving a 'one of the greats' status in my book. His performance in Biutiful was Oscar worthy IMO.
quote:
quote:
Biutiful

BTW, I saw this movie in Spanish with English subtitles. Just seems to carry its vibe better in its original format, IMHO

Hmmmm.... Agreed for the most part. I'm still not hot on subtitles, despite your very valid point on original format. I find having my eyes pulled to the bottom of the screen can detract from the visual appreciation of the movie in some cases. One of the many reasons I liked Slumdog Millionaire. The creative use of subtitles moved up into the center of the screen allowed me to read the dialogue and see the movie better.

PH
quote:
One of the many reasons I liked Slumdog Millionaire. The creative use of subtitles moved up into the center of the screen allowed me to read the dialogue and see the movie better.

PH

Interesting comment. I've mixed feelings about the subtitle placement. While it did reduce my eye movement between read/absorb visually by milliseconds, I found the placement in the middle of the screen fatiguing and detracting from my absorption portion, if you know what I mean. Just me.
quote:
quote:
One of the many reasons I liked Slumdog Millionaire. The creative use of subtitles moved up into the center of the screen allowed me to read the dialogue and see the movie better.

PH

Interesting comment. I've mixed feelings about the subtitle placement. While it did reduce my eye movement between read/absorb visually by milliseconds, I found the placement in the middle of the screen fatiguing and detracting from my absorption portion, if you know what I mean. Just me.

Yeah... I totally understand. I guess an alternative would be to just learn Spanish and turn the subtitles off. If I'm really going to do it right..... Wink

PH
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
The Silent Partner. (1978)

Celine Lomez has never looked so good. Cool

Guess I wasn't the only one watching Sunday Morning a couple of hours ago..... Wink

Was Lomez on Sunday Morning? Cool

I recorded the program because of their piece on Herb Albert. I'm a fan of his sculpture, but worked in the garden before it was too hot.

I will watch the program soon.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
The Silent Partner. (1978)

Celine Lomez has never looked so good. Cool

Guess I wasn't the only one watching Sunday Morning a couple of hours ago..... Wink

Was Lomez on Sunday Morning? Cool

I recorded the program because of their piece on Herb Albert. I'm a fan of his sculpture, but worked in the garden before it was too hot.

I will watch the program soon.

No, but there was a piece on Christopher Plummer that mentioned The Silent Partner and showed the Christmas scene in the Eaton Centre (the downtown Toronto mall in the film). I was there the day before the scene was shot and utterly befuddled by all the Christmas decora