Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
The Two Towers was on TV last night. If I had 14 hours of uninterrupted time, I'd pop in the Directors Cut of the entire Lord of the Rings series and watch it all.

The Director's Cut of The Two Towers is much better, imo, than the theatrical release. However, I prefer the theatrical release of Fellowship over the director's cut of it by a lot. I prefer the theatrical release of Return of the King over the director'scut by a little.
while it has it's "pans labyrinth" moments(visually *only*), it is nowhere within that league. in fact, a complete disgusting disaster. and i liked the first hellboy...

quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Actually, it is a Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) movie. Haven't seen it yet but curious. Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite movie of the past few years...
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
while it has it's "pans labyrinth" moments(visually *only*), it is nowhere within that league. in fact, a complete disgusting disaster. and i liked the first hellboy...

quote:
Actually, it is a Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) movie. Haven't seen it yet but curious. Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite movie of the past few years...

Tbird-

I thought that it was entertaining and, although I admit that it had some glaring weaknesses, it had some very enjoyable scenes. From a purely visual perspective, it was fantastic. And there were several very humorous moments as well.

I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, mostly because the subject matter was so dark, compelling, and imaginative. Hellboy II could not go as deeply or darkly into the subject matter; too many commercial interests would have been placed at risk.
maybe my expectations were too high, but i was embarrassed for it. but i will easily agree with the 2nd half of your post. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
Tbird-
I thought that it was entertaining and, although I admit that it had some glaring weaknesses, it had some very enjoyable scenes. From a purely visual perspective, it was fantastic. And there were several very humorous moments as well.

I really enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth, mostly because the subject matter was so dark, compelling, and imaginative. Hellboy II could not go as deeply or darkly into the subject matter; too many commercial interests would have been placed at risk.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
The Two Towers was on TV last night. If I had 14 hours of uninterrupted time, I'd pop in the Directors Cut of the entire Lord of the Rings series and watch it all.

The Director's Cut of The Two Towers is much better, imo, than the theatrical release. However, I prefer the theatrical release of Fellowship over the director's cut of it by a lot. I prefer the theatrical release of Return of the King over the director'scut by a little.

Interesting. Why do you prefer the theatrical cut of Fellowship over the Director's Cut? I thought the Director's Cut fills out a few sections that got shortchanged in the theatrical version.
Watched John Carpenter's Dark Star last night. I think I last saw it at a midnight matinee around 1977. Lowest of the low budget sci-fi films. It's fun to watch again just to see what they used for set decorations and props; i.e. upside down plastic ice cube trays and viewmaster reels for control panel buttons, vacuum cleaner hoses, and a duct tape spacesuit with a plastic corn-popper dome for a helmet. Big Grin
I heard he made it in film school, but I don't know for sure.
Still good for a few laughs.

Doolittle: "Bomb, this is Lt. Doolittle. You are *not* to detonate in the bomb bay. I repeat, you are NOT to detonate in the bomb bay!"
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Fight Club.

Geez, that's a strange one. Eek

KSC02 - is this your first time watching this movie? strange gives the feeling that you didn't enjoy this. I thought, and think, that this is a great, great movie. if you didn't hate it, wait a few months and watch it again. I come away thinking that this could solve a lot of our world's problems (the fighting part, not the anarchy and getting rid of credit and government).

Dale
quote:
Originally posted by Dale451:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
Fight Club.

Geez, that's a strange one. Eek

KSC02 - is this your first time watching this movie? strange gives the feeling that you didn't enjoy this. I thought, and think, that this is a great, great movie. if you didn't hate it, wait a few months and watch it again. I come away thinking that this could solve a lot of our world's problems (the fighting part, not the anarchy and getting rid of credit and government).

Dale

Not a 'bad' movie, just not my style of movie.
I would be willing to give it a second go again, in the future.

The 'twist' of it all was interesting. Just a bit disturbing I suppose.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by duckfaninmt:
Breaking Away. A classic IMO.

That's one of my favorites, too. Smile
Haven't seen it in ages.

Classic flick. If you haven't had a chance to see it, the Little 500 still runs each Spring in Bloomington, IN, and is a lot of fun to watch. During a workday a few years ago, I met the guy who was the inspiration for the BA lead character, Dave Stoller. Nice guy, teaches high school biology if I remember correctly.
I just came back from seeing the new Bond flick. I found it very entertaining and kept my attention glued to the screen throughout the movie. It opened up a little Bourne'esq, but I'm not one of the purists who takes issue with such things. Overall a very enjoyable movie with enough of the classic 007 elements and characters to know it was a Bond movie.
DVD,
I assume you are referring to the romantic girlie nature of the flick. No doubt Titanic was a bit sappy, but it was a movie designed for the big screen of the theater and was well worth the price of admission when it came out. It's that same grand scale of the set and panoramic views that draw you in and hold your attention in this movie.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.