MOVIES: What are you watching?

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened

...or The Penultimate Chapter in the Decline and Fall of Western Civilization

Almost no one with any redeeming qualities - especially Billy McFarland. As Mrs. S said about 30 minutes into it: "I never think like this, but I'd really like to punch him in the face." Like watching a train wreck. 

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Coen Bros. Nothing else really needs saying. Excellent.

Murder My Sweet

Classic film noir. Excellent.

Psych Out

Silly hippie flick from 1968 with Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern, Susan Strasberg and Dean Stockwell.

Grand Cru

Documentary following the travails of Pascal Marchand during the 2016 vintage in Burgundy. Interesting for winos.

sunnylea57 posted:

FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened

...or The Penultimate Chapter in the Decline and Fall of Western Civilization

Almost no one with any redeeming qualities - especially Billy McFarland. As Mrs. S said about 30 minutes into it: "I never think like this, but I'd really like to punch him in the face." Like watching a train wreck. 

As someone who goes to 3 big music festivals and spends waaaayyy too much money on them, I decided to watch it.  I thought it was a pretty good doc.  I don't know how these big artists signed on to play.  Don't they do any due diligence?  1st time festival, in a place with zero infrastructure, and no corporate sponsorship?  Sign me up...

steve8 posted:

Murder My Sweet

Psych Out

Silly hippie flick from 1968 with Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern, Susan Strasberg and Dean Stockwell.

Grand Cru

Documentary following the travails of Pascal Marchand during the 2016 vintage in Burgundy. Interesting for winos.

+1. 

mimik posted:
steve8 posted:

Murder My Sweet

Psych Out

Grand Cru

+1. 

+2 

Great list, Steve. 

Bohemian Rhapsody

I've never been much of a fan of Queen and will usually change the station (or the stream) when one of their songs comes on. I had no interest to see this in the theatre, but caught it on the weekend via a different method.

It was an OK time waster. Glossy, simplistic, shallow (and factually inaccurate). Mercury had a powerful voice, to be sure, and the most compelling scenes are the recreations of the live concerts because of that voice. I didn't think Rami Malek was all the good in the role, other than during the concert scenes. His acting didn't do much for me. As well his face is narrower and more angular than Mercury's, so it made his overbite more pronounced than it really was -- and it was totally distracting.

Bohemian Rhapsody - watched on a plane with those 5" screen.  Agree with Sunny that it was shallow.  I wanted more insight on that creative process or his personal struggles.  It seemed the lens was from an outsider who was just seeing the parties or was in the recording studio.

Add Reply

Likes (0)