quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Keyhole
Eraserhead

David Lynch is more whacked than Guy Maddin. Not by much though.

Is there a more "whacked" movie than Eraser head?

Hmmmm. Good question. I hadn't seen it since I first saw it in college. Still weird after all these years.

Lynch has made some other very weird films (Blue Velvet). David Cronenberg made plenty including Videodrome and Naked Lunch. Fellini's Satyricon or Amarcord. Black Moon by Louis Malle. Gummo by Harmony Korine.

I love Videodrome! Great performances by James Woods, Deborah Harry (What a shame she had to get old!), and supporting cast. Expertly directed to control the tone and mood of the film! That and Blood Simple are two of the finest mood movies I've ever seen. Exponential film noire for me.

Agree re: Videodrome. Naked Lunch was interesting but very bizzare. Blue Velvet - creepy, dark, sick, making me wonder what the point of it was, beyond gratuitousness.

On the subject of weird, strange, whatever movies, one that, for me, is in that orbit is "The Ruling Class" with Peter O'Toole and Alastair Sim. It is hysterically funny for the first third, then takes that hard turn into darkness. A great study on "madness." Parenthetically, I always thought Sim was an incredible actor.
Watched Blade Runner - The Final Cut on Friday night and then went and saw Blade Runner 2049 in 3D in the theater.

I agree that the new Blade Runner movie is visually stunning. The director created an amazing world, building on the dystopian world of the first movie, but taking it to the next level.

There were some issues that I had with the story of the new Blade Runner movie. But I thought that overall it was very enjoyable.

My wife was not as impressed.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
Kingsman the Golden Circle

I'm sad to say I saw the first installment.

Not my style.

If you hated the first one you will truly despise the latest installment! Though if you ever wanted to see Berry Brothers and Rudd's historic Napoleon Cellar or storefront at 3 St. James Street, you'll see both in this film
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:

Not my style.

If you hated the first one you will truly despise the latest installment! Though if you ever wanted to see Berry Brothers and Rudd's historic Napoleon Cellar or storefront at 3 St. James Street, you'll see both in this film

bman is correct. Yes as this was the area we stayed on our recent trip - that was fun. We had a fun time although I loved the first movie for the stupid fun romp that it was. I like Kick Ass by the same director as well.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not my style.

bman is correct. Yes as this was the area we stayed on our recent trip - that was fun. We had a fun time although I loved the first movie for the stupid fun romp that it was. I like Kick Ass by the same director as well.

Re BBR, I cannot recommend highly enough their wine events held in their various cellars under the store. I've only been to one but a buddy has been to a couple and loved them. The prices are high but worth it, he said, for the quality and quantity of the food and wine served and of course, the coolness of the venue!

Regular readers may recall an epic port tasting I and some others here attended in the Pickering Cellar there in 2005....attended by Simon Berry himself! Cool
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not my style.

Re BBR, I cannot recommend highly enough their wine events held in their various cellars under the store. I've only been to one but a buddy has been to a couple and loved them. The prices are high but worth it, he said, for the quality and quantity of the food and wine served and of course, the coolness of the venue!

Regular readers may recall an epic port tasting I and some others here attended in the Pickering Cellar there in 2005....attended by Simon Berry himself! Cool

Right around the corner Davy's Wine Bar (obviously a totally different league) but has a cool cellar atmosphere for drinks
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not my style.

Right around the corner Davy's Wine Bar (obviously a totally different league) but has a cool cellar atmosphere for drinks

Agree completely. Also the Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden, another a Davy wine bar. Offlined there years ago with KillerB and Birdungy's brother-in-law and some others.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not my style.

Agree completely. Also the Crusting Pipe in Covent Garden, another a Davy wine bar. Offlined there years ago with KillerB and Birdungy's brother-in-law and some others.

Nice. We loved that Cork and Bottle place also that we stumbled on
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not my style.

Nice. We loved that Cork and Bottle place also that we stumbled on

Okay, you stylistic reprobate rat bastards are now on double secret probation! Razz
Bladerunner 2049...long, boring. score is mind numbing. everyone talks about visuals, but it felt like i'd seen everything before in other movies past few years. fwiw, i saw on imax 2d.

American Made...surprisingly entertaining and light, considering the subject matter. i like going to movies, but i'd say it's a home rental for most.

It - not scary...reminded me of the goonies with a supernatural element. I've read virtually all of King's writings - read the book instead.

Kingsman - Decent sequel...if you enjoyed first one, you'll probably like this one. I know I did.

Mother! - Just plain weird and pretentious. Saw it at Cinerama dome with director/producer q&a...glad I stayed so movie could be partially explained. Went right over my head.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.