Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Meantime

Happy little Mike Leigh flick with young Gary Oldman and Tim Roth.

I don't know this one. Recent? (I guess I could just check imdb... OK I'm back. One of his early TV movies.)

Love Mike Leigh's films, but man, some of them are tough to watch without sinking into full-on depression afterwards.

Mrs. S and I loved "Secrets & Lies" and "Topsy-Turvy", so one New Years Eve we decided to watch "All or Nothing" - which turned out to be the darkest and saddest of all his films. It's now a running joke between us. Whenever we're feeling particularly celebratory or we're looking for something escapist to watch, one of us will suggest a Mike Leigh film.

How does Meantime compare to his later films?
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve8:
Meantime

Love Mike Leigh's films, but man, some of them are tough to watch without sinking into full-on depression afterwards.

Mrs. S and I loved "Secrets & Lies" and "Topsy-Turvy", so one New Years Eve we decided to watch "All or Nothing" - which turned out to be the darkest and saddest of all his films. It's now a running joke between us. Whenever we're feeling particularly celebratory or we're looking for something escapist to watch, one of us will suggest a Mike Leigh film.

I made the mistake of suggesting we watch The Family Stone on a family holiday with the kids a few years ago. It was billed as a comedy and sooooooooooooooo much wasn't. I am no longer allowed to pick movies with the kids.......
quote:

Definitely not as good as Secrets & Lies or Topsy Turvy. I haven't seen All or Nothing (yet).

Naked was another one I liked, although it was pretty grim and harsh.

Last night

Eating Raoul
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

Definitely not as good as Secrets & Lies or Topsy Turvy. I haven't seen All or Nothing (yet).

Naked was another one I liked, although it was pretty grim and harsh.

Last night

Eating Raoul

No Happy-Go-Lucky talk?
Certain Women
I like small, quiet, thought-provoking films. This film is small and quiet, but hardly though-provoking. And it's painfully slooooooooow. Every shot lasts four times longer than it should. Long scenes of nothing happening, where you wonder if the film has frozen. Excruciating. We tried twice to get through it and couldn't do it.
quote:
Certain Women
I like small, quiet, thought-provoking films. This film is small and quiet, but hardly though-provoking. And it's painfully slooooooooow. Every shot lasts four times longer than it should. Long scenes of nothing happening, where you wonder if the film has frozen. Excruciating. We tried twice to get through it and couldn't do it.

Thanks for the heads up because with Michelle Williams and Laura Dern I might have been tempted to watch it.
quote:
Certain Women

Are you a fan of Kelly Reichardt's work in general? She is known as the queen of slow-cinema. Smile

Did you see Wendy & Lucy?
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Certain Women

Are you a fan of Kelly Reichardt's work in general? She is known as the queen of slow-cinema. Smile

Did you see Wendy & Lucy?

Yes we did see Wendy & Lucy and enjoyed it. Certain Women takes slowness to another level. The first and third episodes at least tell some kind of story, but the middle one with Michelle Williams seems to have no point. The whole film feels aimless.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.