Skip to main content

Jaws - It's been a long time since I've watched the movie, but what a great film. The acting, script, direction, and music all shine.

It's really two movies - the first on the island, and the second on the boat. The second part is the best; it's really about these three completely different characters interacting on the boat. You almost don't even need the shark.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Says the Star Trek lover Roll Eyes

Hey fuck face I'd put my favorite Star Trek movie--Wrath of Khan about number 250 in my list of best movies. Oh yeah--go fuck yourself you subhuman piece of garbage.


Ah, you can take the pig out of the sty, but you can't take the sty out of the pig. Thanks for laugh and the affirmation.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Just watched There Will be Blood again. Still don't like it. Beautifully done, but I didn't like the characters, the story or the ending. Am I just an unsophisticated boob? Please let me know what I am missing here, oh movie gurus...

PH


If you are an unsophisticated boob, then you have my company on this one.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Says the Star Trek lover Roll Eyes

Hey fuck face I'd put my favorite Star Trek movie--Wrath of Khan about number 250 in my list of best movies. Oh yeah--go fuck yourself you subhuman piece of garbage.


Ah, you can take the pig out of the sty, but you can't take the sty out of the pig. Thanks for laugh and the affirmation.

You're right, what kind of a pig calls someone a subhuman piece of garbage?
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Just watched There Will be Blood again. Still don't like it. Beautifully done, but I didn't like the characters, the story or the ending. Am I just an unsophisticated boob? Please let me know what I am missing here, oh movie gurus...

PH


It's easily one of my top 5 favorite films of the 2000's and the upper all timers.

I watched Arrival last night and thought it was very well done.
Last edited by winoca
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Says the Star Trek lover Roll Eyes

Hey fuck face I'd put my favorite Star Trek movie--Wrath of Khan about number 250 in my list of best movies. Oh yeah--go fuck yourself you subhuman piece of garbage.


Ah, you can take the pig out of the sty, but you can't take the sty out of the pig. Thanks for laugh and the affirmation.

You're right, what kind of a pig calls someone a subhuman piece of garbage?


You're cute when you explode and start cursing. You should have better self control. Maybe an anger management course?
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I had never seen this before. Excellent for an almost 100 year old film. The visual style is quite something.

Steve, Steve, age has nothing to do with great art.

Saw Michelangelo's David. Excellent for a 500+ year old statue!


OK wiseguy. Video technology in 1919 was quite primitive so to have made this film as visually striking as it was, is quite something.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I had never seen this before. Excellent for an almost 100 year old film. The visual style is quite something.

Steve, Steve, age has nothing to do with great art.

Saw Michelangelo's David. Excellent for a 500+ year old statue!


OK wiseguy. Video technology in 1919 was quite primitive so to have made this film as visually striking as it was, is quite something.

I am a wise guy.
As good as it gets: ** 1/2

Entertaining enough, but I have no idea how Jack Nicholson beat out Robert Duval for Best Actor that year. Seriously, if you haven't seen The Apostle, see it, Bobby D. would have won Best Actor in most years. Obvious it was a lifetime achievement handshake for Jack. Jack gave the fourth best performance in the movie , behind Cuba Gooding Jr., Greg Kinnear and Helen Hunt, who deserved her Oscar.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
As good as it gets: ** 1/2

Entertaining enough, but I have no idea how Jack Nicholson beat out Robert Duval for Best Actor that year. Seriously, if you haven't seen The Apostle, see it, Bobby D. would have won Best Actor in most years. Obvious it was a lifetime achievement handshake for Jack. Jack gave the fourth best performance in the movie , behind Cuba Gooding Jr., Greg Kinnear and Helen Hunt, who deserved her Oscar.


I thought Nicholson was excellent and this is at least a ***1/2 movie for me.
quote:
Originally posted by Napacat:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
As good as it gets: ** 1/2

Entertaining enough, but I have no idea how Jack Nicholson beat out Robert Duval for Best Actor that year. Seriously, if you haven't seen The Apostle, see it, Bobby D. would have won Best Actor in most years. Obvious it was a lifetime achievement handshake for Jack. Jack gave the fourth best performance in the movie , behind Cuba Gooding Jr., Greg Kinnear and Helen Hunt, who deserved her Oscar.


I thought Nicholson was excellent and this is at least a ***1/2 movie for me.


Glad you liked it more than I did (a lot of people did, including my girlfriend). I found myself groaning, then laughing "Oh, hell no!" when Helen Hunt (at 33) started making out with 60 yo Jack. I had to double check to make sure it wasn't directed by Woody Allen.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Napacat:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
As good as it gets: ** 1/2

Entertaining enough, but I have no idea how Jack Nicholson beat out Robert Duval for Best Actor that year. Seriously, if you haven't seen The Apostle, see it, Bobby D. would have won Best Actor in most years. Obvious it was a lifetime achievement handshake for Jack. Jack gave the fourth best performance in the movie , behind Cuba Gooding Jr., Greg Kinnear and Helen Hunt, who deserved her Oscar.


I thought Nicholson was excellent and this is at least a ***1/2 movie for me.


Glad you liked it more than I did (a lot of people did, including my girlfriend). I found myself groaning, then laughing "Oh, hell no!" when Helen Hunt (at 33) started making out with 60 yo Jack. I had to double check to make sure it wasn't directed by Woody Allen.


I forget the exact line...but when Jack told Kinnear to "go sell crazy somewhere else" and just how OCD he was quite funny.

A bit of a stretch with the age thing...but Hunt isn't all that hot where it was not plausible.
The Founder. I give it 4 stars out of 5. Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc starts out as a sympathetic figure, then becomes less likeable as he achieves staggering success. The movie poses provocative questions, among them: is the McDonalds story an example of the American Dream come true, or is it an example of heartless, cutthroat betrayal? Or both? Is free enterprise the best engine of prosperity for the most people, or does it leave nothing in its wake but scorched earth? Or both?
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
Jesus Christ Superstar. After whistling the catchy tune for 44 years, it was about time to see the movie. The title song, like the title character, stands head and shoulder above the rest, though Carl Anderson delivers a superb performance as an all-too-human, even somewhat forgivable Judas Iscariot.

I was told by an aunt that Ted Neeley is a distant relative, but never met him. My dad was against anything "hippie" back then, which he considered JCSS to be, and wouldn't say how closely we were related. So I don't know if it is even true, or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
The Founder. I give it 4 stars out of 5. Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc starts out as a sympathetic figure, then becomes less likeable as he achieves staggering success. The movie poses provocative questions, among them: is the McDonalds story an example of the American Dream come true, or is it an example of heartless, cutthroat betrayal? Or both? Is free enterprise the best engine of prosperity for the most people, or does it leave nothing in its wake but scorched earth? Or both?


My wife and I both enjoyed the movie very much, Keaton had a really good performance. Very interesting story as well, much of which we hadn't previously known.
Not sure if it belongs here, but over the last week I enjoyed watching the new ESPN 30 for 30 about the Lakers/Celtics rivalry in the 80's. Though I've never been a huge basketball fan, this brought back some cool memories of watching them battle for the title a bunch of times. I liked the homer narrations provided by Ice Cube and Donnie Wahlburg. The audio clips of Celtics play-by-play man Jonny Most are hilarious!

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×