Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Remember--79pts.

I used to be a big fan of director Atom Egoyan, but he lost his way a long time ago. This is one of his better efforts in 20 years, but still no masterpiece.

I saw this the other night and thought it was pretty good. Surprise ending.

I'm curious about your comments on Egoyan. 20 years ago goes back to Exotica, which I thought was meh. That period is also beyond my favourite Egoyan film, The Sweet Hereafter. I also liked Felicia's Journey and Where the Truth Lies, both made within the last 20 years.

I've never thought him to be a great director. Frustratingly decent.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:
Remember--79pts.

I used to be a big fan of director Atom Egoyan, but he lost his way a long time ago. This is one of his better efforts in 20 years, but still no masterpiece.

I saw this the other night and thought it was pretty good. Surprise ending.

I'm curious about your comments on Egoyan. 20 years ago goes back to Exotica, which I thought was meh. That period is also beyond my favourite Egoyan film, The Sweet Hereafter. I also liked Felicia's Journey and Where the Truth Lies, both made within the last 20 years.

I've never thought him to be a great director. Frustratingly decent.

I guess I should make that 15 years. The first movie I saw of his was Exotica and I was stunned at its freshness and innovation. I think The Sweet Hereafter is his masterpiece. It appeared he was going to be one of our great, or at least really good, directors. I also like his early work the Calendar and The Adjuster, but he really hit a low with Chloe (even though it does have a wonderfully naked Amanda Seyfried) and other recent works. "Frustratingly decent" is very apt.
quote:
The Conversation

Been a while since I'd seen this. Excellent.

Excellent indeed. Written, produced and directed by Coppola.

It was up for best picture and lost to GodfatherII. Cool

Hackman lives here in Santa Fe and is pretty active around town although have not seen him much recently. I have heard him say he thinks he was perhaps at the peak of his career during this film.

I like to watch this film and Blowup the same week.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
The Conversation

Been a while since I'd seen this. Excellent.

Excellent indeed. Written, produced and directed by Coppola.

It was up for best picture and lost to GodfatherII. Cool

Hackman lives here in Santa Fe and is pretty active around town although have not seen him much recently. I have heard him say he thinks he was perhaps at the peak of his career during this film.

I like to watch this film and Blowup the same week.

I know exactly what theater I saw it at during its initial run in Chicago. I've always ranked it Coppola's best movie.
On the flight over I struck out repeatedly.

Hateful Eight - with every additional movie I am more and more convinced that Pulp Fiction was some kind of strange anomaly

Deadpool - was kind of funny, and I guess they intended it to be; not much else going for it

Body of Lies - kind of a yawner

The only one that had much going for it was Hail Caesar. I wouldn't say this one was really great either but it kept me interested all the way to the end.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Under the Skin: ****

Eek Did you add three stars for seeing Scarlett Johansson naked?

The film has received good reviews across the board I thought.

Everything I had heard prepared me for a very good film, but most of the posters here did not like it and I wrote:
quote:
Perhaps my favorite comment on this awful movie by Scott Foundas in Variety, "The sort of movie that might have worked better as a gallery installation one could enter and exit at will."
I'd give it 68pts.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:I'd give it 68pts.

Good for you. I loved the spareness of the cinematography and direction, and thought this adaptation was better than the book. I like Terrence Malick films a great deal, and this reminded me of one of his films. It's not for everyone, clearly.

I'd call it one of those movies that I didn't "like" but did find it quite intriguing.

Certainly held my attention right til the ending (the last 15 minutes or so was the weakest in that regard).

Wouldn't recommend it to most people though.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.