Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
bates40,

I'm honestly not trying to be obnoxious; but I'm wondering if you have the same problem with All the President's Men?

Same with Schindler's List, Apollo 13, Argo, Rush, 127 Hours, Seabiscuit, etc. There are many movies where the audience knows how it will end. The challenge for the director is maintaining high interest in spite of that as the plot progresses. Most of the time, they do a really good job of it.

Shameful Titanic omission! ike
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by bates40:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
bates40,

I'm honestly not trying to be obnoxious; but I'm wondering if you have the same problem with All the President's Men?

(quietly) That's the first one that came to mind to me also.

Good point, and well taken. As a Catholic who has followed the inter workings of the priest abuse scandal I was much more aware of the situation and circumstances surrounding the catholic church than I was the inter workings of the investigative processes re: All the President's Men.

For what's it worth "inter" is a verb meaning to place in a grave. bunny

(I think I like the bunny the best.)

Inner workings
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
Beauty & The Beast - family movie night. I had never seen it before, and I enjoyed it, but that's probably due to me having become a Disney nut. And my girls seemed to enjoy it, which is the most important thing.

This was the first movie we ever took our daughter to in the theater (way back when.) She was about 2 or 3 at the time. In the scene where Belle is imprisoned in the tower, looking out the window at the snow falling, and contemplating her captivity, my daughter suddenly yells out into the silent theater, "Merry Christmas, Belle!" Could've been embarrassing, but everyone in the theater laughed.
How weird, I watched FMJ this afternoon as I worked but I love it, much more than Platoon(80pts) or Casualties of War(60pts) for late Vietnam films. Kubrick was going to make a Holocaust film and he and someone else agreed to make FMJ based off a novel, something like that. There are some scenes that are similar to what you see in holocaust/WW2 films. The burning city battle areas look more like Nazi Germany war scenes than your typical jungle Vietnam films, and a whole bunch of little things that could be interpreted as holocaust messages.
quote:
Originally posted by WinoCA:
How weird, I watched FMJ this afternoon as I worked but I love it, much more than Platoon(80pts) or Casualties of War(60pts) for late Vietnam films. Kubrick was going to make a Holocaust film and he and someone else agreed to make FMJ based off a novel, something like that. There are some scenes that are similar to what you see in holocaust/WW2 films. The burning city battle areas look more like Nazi Germany war scenes than your typical jungle Vietnam films, and a whole bunch of little things that could be interpreted as holocaust messages.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I don't see your last point.
quote:
Full Metal Jacket--72pts.

Same question I had when I saw this in 1987: Why did Kubrick even bother to make this movie? More than 15 years since the war ended and nothing fresh or interesting to say about it or even war in general.

I guess the entertainment value of the opening scenes and the visceral reaction was lost on you.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Full Metal Jacket--72pts.

Same question I had when I saw this in 1987: Why did Kubrick even bother to make this movie? More than 15 years since the war ended and nothing fresh or interesting to say about it or even war in general.

I guess the entertainment value of the opening scenes and the visceral reaction was lost on you.

The boot camp scenes are classic, along with the Vietnam hooker scene. After that, I turn off the movie.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:

Kelly's Heroes

Kind of silly, but (retrospectively) a pretty cool cast if you were a child of the 70's.

Love this movie, especially Oddball. "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know."

Saw it in the theater and even as a young hippie I couldn't buy Sutherland's hippie in WWII character. But it was a fun stupid movie.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.