quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Once a Thief

Not bad. Ann Margaret looked great, but what a waste of acting space.

Have you watched Alain Delon in Le Samourai?

One of the greatest minimalist movies of all time, and a breakout performance for him.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Once a Thief

One of the greatest minimalist movies of all time, and a breakout performance for him.

I have not, but will now look out for it. Thanks.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Once a Thief

I have not, but will now look out for it. Thanks.

Take notice how few words are spoken in the first 10 and 20 minutes. A truly minimalist movie. I think you will enjoy it, Steve.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Yes. Another example of that was the 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy versus the brilliant six hour BBC (again) production.

I'm not sure how to compare a movie to a six hour series. I thought the movie was good and the series excellent.

Most book to movies don't need a mini-series to interpret them. An example using another great Le Carre book is, as you know, The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. Also I never engage in "the movie wasn't as good as the book" critiques, though I guess I'm engaging a version of it with my "the movie wasn't as good as the mini-series" thinking. Though for me the bottom line is, when it's been done to perfection--why bother?
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The boys went to bed early and we managed to get in a double billing of Philippe Noiret in Il Postino and Cinema Paradiso .

There's a problem with Cinema Paradiso. When Miramax originally released it Harvey Weinstein cut out over 70 minutes and released the beloved film many us know. In 2002 the missing minutes were put back in creating the bloated version that I believe is the only one available these days. Sometimes the director isn't right. Another example of this is the original released version of Donnie Darko is superior (yes, IMHO) to the director's cut.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaferguy91:
"The Third Man"-1949 movie filmed in Venice Vienna

Thanks. Wife and I are going to Vienna. I better get my cities straight.
quote:
quote:
quote:
"The Third Man"-1949 movie filmed in Venice Vienna

Thanks. Wife and I are going to Vienna. I better get my cities straight.

quote:
I never knew the old Vienna before the war with its Strauss music, its glamour and easy charm.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
The boys went to bed early and we managed to get in a double billing of Philippe Noiret in Il Postino and Cinema Paradiso .

There's a problem with Cinema Paradiso. When Miramax originally released it Harvey Weinstein cut out over 70 minutes and released the beloved film many us know. In 2002 the missing minutes were put back in creating the bloated version that I believe is the only one available these days. Sometimes the director isn't right. Another example of this is the original released version of Donnie Darko is superior (yes, IMHO) to the director's cut.

Our DVD of it has both cuts, one on each side. I happen to like the extra story with Elena from the longer cut but agree that the original shorter version is better.
quote:
Safe ( 1995)
I've always found Todd Haynes a disappointment and did not like this movie--did you? I had a bootleg copy of Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story, which I thought was brilliant, but he never lived up to expectations. The once hard to find film is now, illegally, on Youtube.
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wine+art:
Safe ( 1995)
I've always found Todd Haynes a disappointment and did not like this movie--did you? [/QUOT

I would give it a solid C.

I'm going to check out Carol soon.
A Walk in the Woods

Not bad. Between this and the Reese Witherspoon movie ("Wild"?), I've seen movies now about 2 of the 3 great US hiking trails.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
48 Hours and Another 48 Hours

These are terrible films.

Lose a bet? Wink

Sucked then, suck now.
The 39 Steps

A great B&W film, and a good early Hitchcock. The book, which I read as a teenager was excellent as is the movie. Parcival, I recommend this for your list of B&W's to watch if you haven't seen it already. Cheers,

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.