quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Also, for the sakes of all that is good in this world, DO NOT watch Lawrence of Arabia for the first time on your tablet or even your smart TV. Seek it out in a true cinema environment. You will thank me later. Wink

Huge +1

I will watch the Blu-Ray on the 57" screen at home if I need an immediate Lawrence fix, but nothing compares to a good 70mm projection. It used to be shown every summer on the IMAX screen at Toronto's Cinesphere. Those screenings were good, but the very best was a few years ago at Toronto's TIFF Bell Lightbox where they showed a pristine copy of the most recent 70mm restoration. Everything was flawless: the projection, the print, the sound. It was mesmerizing.

Parcival, I love your selections for your film history exploration. Such great stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:

I love Emilia Clarke, Mother of Dragons (played Sarah Connor) but this movie felt disjointed and held together by a constant onslaught of CGI.

Yeah, that was just such total BS.

Everyone knows that the Mother of Dragons is Daenerys Targaryen.
quote:
Maltese Falcon
-just good, old-movie fun

And, yes W+A . . . this was a first viewing for me which now even I'm having a hard time believing! I started late on these old flicks but I catch up quickly!

Parcival, if I may make a recommendation to add to your classic film viewing list (assuming you haven't already seen it):

Out Of The Past

A true gem of film noir with Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, and Jane Greer. Directed by Jacques Tourneur, who also directed the original Cat People (another one that's worth adding to your list).
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:
Maltese Falcon

And, yes W+A . . . this was a first viewing for me which now even I'm having a hard time believing! I started late on these old flicks but I catch up quickly!

Parcival, if I may make a recommendation to add to your classic film viewing list (assuming you haven't already seen it):

Out Of The Past

A true gem of film noir with Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, and Jane Greer. Directed by Jacques Tourneur, who also directed the original Cat People (another one that's worth adding to your list).

Sunny, I just posted on this film a couple of days ago. P keeps an eye on what I watch pretty well. Wink
I
quote:
quote:
quote:
Maltese Falcon

Out Of The Past

Sunny, I just posted on this film a couple of days ago. P keeps an eye on what I watch pretty well. Wink

How did I miss that?

Still... Worth reinforcing it for K.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
John Wick
Entertaining, for what it was. Kind of like saying, well, as far as pinotage goes, this was a 95.

Very fun shoot-em up Action movie. It was better than I was expecting.

While not a movie, I watched the new Netflix series NARCOS over the weekend. It is another winner for Netflix.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Lawrence of Arabia

On a smartphone?

Confused Huh? As some here know, that's not even possible.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lawrence of Arabia

On a smartphone?

A joke - in response to w+a a few posts earlier talking about watching Lawrence on a tablet.

But now I'm confused: why is it not even possible?
Last edited by sunnylea57
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Lawrence of Arabia

On a smartphone?

A joke - in response to w+a a few posts earlier talking about watching Lawrence on a tablet.

It is possible, however you can be arrested for endangering a film.
quote:

Off the grid...kind of. No cell
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Oldboy

The Spike Lee version.

Wow, I did not realize he directed that. I usually pay good attention to how directs movies too. I liked his early movies then he lost me somewhere in the early 90s.

Both the original and US remake of Oldboy are well worth watching.
Transformers: Age of Extinction

I thought it would be mildly entertaining mindless garbage. But, instead it turned out to be putrid filth. The only reason I kept on watching after the first 45 minutes was to see just how horrible it is possible for a film to get. This may rank in the top 5 worst films I have ever seen. I will never get those 2 3/4(!!!!) hours back. I'm damn near ready to cancel my Netflix subscription in protest of the existence of this film.

This was a bad movie.

QQ-
Ordet (The Word)--96pts. Carl Theodor Dreyer, who made the exceptional silent film The Passion of Joan of Arc made his second to his last film in 1955. Set in the Danish countryside in the mid-1920s its about three adult sons, one of whom is married, who live with their devout father on a farm. The married son has lost his faith, the youngest is thinking about getting married to a girl whose father is of a different Christian sect, and the other went mad studying Kierkegaard and now believes he's Jesus Christ.

Based on a play by a Danish pastor who during the late 30s and early 40s wrote religious plays and also allegorical plays against the Nazis was captured in 1944 and executed. Shot very much like a play, and with--as is typical of Dryer--minimal set decoration--the focus is on conflicting views of religion (or lack of faith.) Full of intensity and some astounding camerawork including the famous 3 minute shot around 97 minutes. The crazy brother sits in a chair talking with his young niece who stands over his shoulder. At first it appears it's going to be a typical 360 degree shot, but for some reason we never get to their sides or their backs. Watch carefully to see how it's done. Also amazing is the final shot in which a character's hunger for life is powerfully displayed.

Available on free Criterion Collection streaming on Hulu's pay service.
quote:
2001: A Space Odyssey

I think it was the first time I've seen it in HD.

Never on a theater screen? The Cinerama Dome in LA shows it the it the way it was meant to be seen every now and then.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Transformers: Age of Extinction

I thought it would be mildly entertaining mindless garbage. But, instead it turned out to be putrid filth. The only reason I kept on watching after the first 45 minutes was to see just how horrible it is possible for a film to get. This may rank in the top 5 worst films I have ever seen. I will never get those 2 3/4(!!!!) hours back. I'm damn near ready to cancel my Netflix subscription in protest of the existence of this film.

This was a bad movie.

QQ-

I put it on for a few minutes to test out our new theater system. Sound was great. Movie was garbage
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:

Never on a theater screen? The Cinerama Dome in LA shows it the it the way it was meant to be seen every now and then.

I saw it in a theatre in the 70's, but only on home TV screens since.
quote:
quote:
quote:

I saw it in a theatre in the 70's, but only on home TV screens since.

What's great about the Cinerama Dome is it's one of around 5 screens in the US equipped to show it in Super Panavision 70. I understand Paul Allen restored a Cinerama theater in Seattle.
quote:
I
quote:
quote:
quote:
Maltese Falcon

Out Of The Past

How did I miss that?

Still... Worth reinforcing it for K.

On it!

I actually have a much needed 3 weeks at home and am hoping to catch "the 3rd Man" and "Out of the past" to a viewing in the man cave while my wife and kids are out of town.
Aloha: Tried to watch it on a flight today. Turned it off and started "Pitch Perfect II"

Aloha was truly unwatchable IMO. Pitch Perfect II was pretty entertaining and got me home with a few good laughs. Made me realize that I really do kind of like Anna Kendrick

Fortunately, both of the above were on the plane's on demand system so were no cost options
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
quote:
Hostsonaten

gesundheit

Yeah, let's not get fancy with those Bergman/Bergman titles. Razz
quote:
Aloha: Tried to watch it on a flight today. Turned it off and started "Pitch Perfect II"

Aloha was truly unwatchable IMO. Pitch Perfect II was pretty entertaining and got me home with a few good laughs. Made me realize that I really do kind of like Anna Kendrick

Fortunately, both of the above were on the plane's on demand system so were no cost options

She is fluent in seven languages but not loser
quote:
quote:
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

I like Daniel Day Lewis, but this version was superb: The Last of the Mohicans (1971)

I would bet a mini series that has more time to tell the story would be better. It seemed like there was a lot more to the story than the movie was able to tell.
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)

I like Daniel Day Lewis, but this version was superb: The Last of the Mohicans (1971)

I would bet a mini series that has more time to tell the story would be better. It seemed like there was a lot more to the story than the movie was able to tell.

Yes. Another example of that was the 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy versus the brilliant six hour BBC (again) production.
quote:

Yes. Another example of that was the 2011 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy versus the brilliant six hour BBC (again) production.

I'm not sure how to compare a movie to a six hour series. I thought the movie was good and the series excellent.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.