quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Unbroken

Ehhh

Enjoyed the book.

Doesn't surprise me that the book is good. Wasn't a bad movie, just couldn't shake the feeling that there wasn't much I hadn't seen in other, better movies.
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Anatomy of a Murder . . . fantastic film!
Yes it is. Seeing Lee Remick sexiness here is only surpassed by her first film role, A Face In The Crowd. It can stop an old man's heart watching her do her famous baton twirler routine. Also worth watching her in Experiment in Terror, which she also co-produced. And last her most famous role Days of Wine and Roses with Jack Lemmon. Though at times over-dramatic is does have direction by the master himself, Billy Wilder.

She died of cancer at age 55. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Yes it is. Seeing Lee Remick sexiness here is only surpassed by her first film role, A Face In The Crowd. It can stop an old man's heart watching her do her famous baton twirler routine. Also worth watching her in Experiment in Terror, which she also co-produced. And last her most famous role Days of Wine and Roses with Jack Lemmon. Though at times over-dramatic is does have direction by the master himself, Billy Wilder.

She is stunning!
Judgment at Nuremberg

Not sure I had ever watched this before and I didn't know Cpt. Kirk was in it. I'm guessing he's the only cast member still alive. Maximilian Schell was outstanding.
Had insomnia last night and came across a late showing of Master and Commander. Thoroughly enjoyed it again, but was still awake afterward. Frown
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
Had insomnia last night and came across a late showing of Master and Commander. Thoroughly enjoyed it again, but was still awake afterward. Frown

The shame is it didn't do good enough at the box office to be able to create--as was planned--a series. Might have worked better as a TV series like the Horatio Hornblower stories.
quote:
quote:

The shame is it didn't do good enough at the box office to be able to create--as was planned--a series. Might have worked better as a TV series like the Horatio Hornblower stories.

Entertaining movie. Paul Betttany is really good in it.
quote:
quote:

A Face in the Crowd is the first movie I recall seeing her in.
quote:

I was offered a job to work on that movie as a sailor and every time I watch it I see a dozen or so people in the crowd I know (the ones dirty and scraggly enough that they could pretend to be part of the crew). Would have been fun to work on but then I wouldn't have met my wife...

The filming took a couple of months longer than expected as Russel Crowe kept getting drunk and in bar fights with the sailors and crew, which he would lose, then have to take a few days to let the cuts and bruises heal... He was not very engaged with the movie and there is actually a scene where he's wearing a fleece instead of his proper costume.
quote:

For those that want to see what the hubbub is about it's showing on TCM this Saturday at noon EDT/9am PDT. Otto Preminger made a number of great movies like Laura, Advise and Consent the flawed Bunny Lake is Missing and a number of others. He also made on of the three worst films ever made, the cringe-worthy, Skidoo with Groucho Marx as God!
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
He was not very engaged with the movie and there is actually a scene where he's wearing a fleece instead of his proper costume.

Did he wear his sunglasses in the bar?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
He was not very engaged with the movie and there is actually a scene where he's wearing a fleece instead of his proper costume.

Did he wear his sunglasses in the bar?

K, have you ever seen PH and Russell Crowe together?

Hmmmm.... Wink
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Hmmmm.... Wink

Now that you mention it, I have not! Coincidence?
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:

Hmmmm.... Wink

Now that you mention it, I have not! Coincidence?

I think not!
Maltese Falcon
-just good, old-movie fun

And, yes W+A . . . this was a first viewing for me which now even I'm having a hard time believing! I started late on these old flicks but I catch up quickly!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Kingsman on a United flight.

I made it through maybe 15-20 minutes before just reading.

I liked this film for what it was, but I can see what you're saying. To some extent, I relied on it as entertaining background noise on a flight. I tuned in and out while flipping through some magazines but still felt like I got the gist of the movie.
quote:
Maltese Falcon

And, yes W+A . . . this was a first viewing for me...!

Interesting to note that Dashiell Hammett created the image of the California detective with stories like The Maltese Falcon and Bogart played it to perfection. Later Raymond Chandler took the CalDick to the heights with his Philip Marlowe stories and again Bogart did it best in The Big Sleep.
quote:
Maltese Falcon

And, yes W+A . . . this was a first viewing for me which now even I'm having a hard time believing! I started late on these old flicks but I catch up quickly!

Cool

K, don't think of these classic films as old. They are cinema at its best and the beginning of the grand era for American film that peaked in the 70's and has been in serious decline since.

When you first read Homer, Steinbeck et al, it was not old, it was greatness. The same with art. If you look at modern art from 1906-1956, it was seminal.

Put cinema into the arts that include music, literature and painting and it becomes timeless and devoid of age. Now, I must get you to understand that America is not the gatekeeper of all great cinema! Wink
quote:
. Now, I must get you to understand that America is not the gatekeeper of all great cinema! Wink

You hooked me on ex-US stuff with:
-The Hunt
-Bicycle Thief

Now I just need more of the same!
Interesting evening of films last night:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
-loved it!

And, I couldn't quite fall asleep as early as I would have liked so I watched Terminator Genisys (or whatever the latest installment is called)
-I loved the Terminator series overall. But IMO this was a mess of a film which is odd for me to say. I love special effects; I love Emilia Clarke, Mother of Dragons (played Sarah Connor) but this movie felt disjointed and held together by a constant onslaught of CGI. Admittedly, I may have enjoyed all of that much more on a big screen. And, perhaps the comparison to a cinemagraphic classic did not help either.

Next in the docket . . . "Experiment in Terror"
quote:

And, I couldn't quite fall asleep as early as I would have liked so I watched Terminator Genisys (or whatever the latest installment is called)
-I loved the Terminator series overall. But IMO this was a mess of a film which is odd for me to say. I love special effects; I love Emilia Clarke, Mother of Dragons (played Sarah Connor) but this movie felt disjointed and held together by a constant onslaught of CGI. Admittedly, I may have enjoyed all of that much more on a big screen. And, perhaps the comparison to a cinemagraphic classic did not help either.

Next in the docket . . . "Experiment in Terror"

T2 is just impossible to live up to. It was so well done and the CGI was not overused. It was close to the perfect action adventure movie. You wonder if it were made 10 years later if it would have looked more like a Michael Bay Transformers movie.
quote:

Bogart's best movie, beating Casablanca by a light year. Assume you noticed the director John Huston as the American who Bogart keeps tapping. And future murderer Robert Blake as the child lottery ticket seller. Also the first film where a father and son won Oscars for the same movie. John for direction and his father Walter "You boys should have some beans" Houston for supporting actor.
Last edited by The Old Man
Straight Outta Compton

historically relevant account if NWA

actors were on point

music and musical performances were in point

some inaccuracies with regards to story-telling, but overall a very good movie
quote:

-loved it!

K, a treasure film indeed.

I know you watch many films on an airplane like I do. I hate that too often your first ever viewing is on your tablet of such seminal films. Do yourself a favor and watch such classics on your smart TV, and always seek out the local art house cinemas for their showings.

Also, for the sakes of all that is good in this world, DO NOT watch Lawrence of Arabia for the first time on your tablet or even your smart TV. Seek it out in a true cinema environment. You will thank me later. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.