quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
On flights this week

Maps to the Stars
October Gale
The Theory of Everything
Margin Call
Elephant Song

Steve, if you had to pick just one of these to watch, which would it be?

None are great films and it would be easier to choose one NOT to see. Maps to the Stars.

Hard not to like The Theory of Everything and I also liked Margin Call.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
The Calendar Girls

Never heard of this film. Any good?

I remember it at the time, I think it was loosely based on a true story. My memory of it was forgettable fluff.

Thanks.
Mission Impossible V or is it VI - anyway, it was very entertaining despite not being a Cruise fan personally.

Man From U.N.C.L.E - I didn't watch the television series. Overall, I thought it was very good, but for some reason, I kept expecting more from it. Perhaps if it had the writing and acting as From Russia With Love, this movie may have been excellent.
Last night, Man from UNCLE. If you watched the TV show years ago, there'll be some inconsistencies with those older plots, but the split-screen action scenes were reminiscent of the old show. Plus, I laughed a lot more than I expected to, so I guess I liked it.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
The Stranger
When I read "the stranger" I can't help but think of the urban dictionary definition and then giggle like a 13 yr old.

This made me look it up on the UD app since I hadn't heard of it before.

This came a day early, or you could have reminisced about the act as your throwback Thursday. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
The Stranger
When I read "the stranger" I can't help but think of the urban dictionary definition and then giggle like a 13 yr old.

This made me look it up on the UD app since I hadn't heard of it before.

This came a day early, or you could have reminisced about the act as your throwback Thursday. Big Grin
I had a buddy on my college baseball team that swore by the stranger method. I have never gone through the trouble to try myself Wink
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Watched Touch of Evil--95pts., for the tenth (?) time. Then watched, again, Tim Burton's singular masterpiece Ed Wood--93 pts. which has the scene with Orson Welles complaining about what happened to him on... Touch of Evil.

I love Ed Wood. How can any movie with George the Animal Steele in it not be a classic.

I watched Soaked in Bleach. It was a documentary on the death of Kurt Cobain done by the PI Courtney Love hired to find him when he disappeared. It makes Courtney and the Seattle PD look pretty bad. But there is a lot of speculation in there too.
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
The 3rd Man: Had a tough time getting through this.

I will admit, I tried watching it on a train from NYC to DC and was spent so maybe that accounted for my lack of engagement with this. That said, is this worth a second look?

Top 15 movie for me. I see you're going through a list of great movies, but I'm afraid you just not watching many of them correctly. Films are shot to be watched on a large screen (tip: sitting 1/3 from the front of the theatre's screen puts you into the camera's position.) A fortunate thing that happened in the last 15 years is the availability of big screen TVs and the release of movies in the correct aspect ratio. At least with these TVs, if you sit in the correct position (which most people don't) you can approximate the experience of watching in a theatre.

So as a minor example of what's missing from watching this particularly classic movie on a tablet or laptop: There are many crazy angle shots throughout the movie. These are done to disorient you and give you the mindset of an American in a topsy turvy world. I believe one of the classic moments in film history is the appearance of Orson Welles in the movie. You just can't get the effect on a 10" screen on your lap.

Another thing that might help is reading Ebert's listings for the films in his Great Movies List. While I don't agree with all his choices, nor all his opinions, these re-reviews are always worth reading. The Third Man
quote:

I will admit, I tried watching it on a train from NYC to DC and was spent so maybe that accounted for my lack of engagement with this. That said, is this worth a second look?

Absolutely!
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:

Absolutely!

+1... Greatness!
Liv & Ingmar--92pts. The subtitle for this remanance by Liv Ullmanm about her relationship with Ingmar Bergman is, "Painfully Contacted" and well it should be. Liv recounts her first meeting and falling in love with Bergman when she was 25 and he in his late 40s. Oh yeah, they were both married. Their passion burned for 5 years, but Liv tired of Bergman's mental abuse left. They reconnected and remained friends for 42 years and continued to make films right up to Saraband in 2003.

The film mostly has Liv speaking, in 2013 interviews, mostly shot at the house they shared in Faro Norway in the 1960s. Bergman also continued to live there until the end of his life.

It is an extremely intimate film that is mostly for true Bergman fans. Film clips are show throughout the movie, but they are not identified. Though the clips are interspersed for their apparent autobiographical quality, it helps to know the films used.

Highly recommended for fans of the greatest director/actress relationship in film history. (Though there's something to be said about D.W. Griffith and Lillian Gish.)
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sunnylea57:
quote:

Absolutely!

+1... Greatness!

Alright then . . . adding this back to the list and am going to commit to watching it at home when I have some free time and am not exhausted

Add Reply

Likes (0)