quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Narrow Margin- loved it. Suspenseful with good action scenes

Board-O, don't know what it is, but trains in film often make for good bedfellows. Wink

I see Hackman often around town. He still even at his age has an edge about him. The word gravitas always comes to mind when we bump into him.
quote:

The classic 1952 or the 1990 remake by hack Peter Hyams?
The Lady Vanishes
Shop Around the Corner
The Rope

--All great old time flicks. Thanks all for the recs

The Salvation: Western flick starring Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen (also in "The Hunt" which is one of my favorite movies of the year so far). Fantastic flick. I put this in the same league as "The Unforgiven"
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
The Lady Vanishes
Shop Around the Corner
The Rope

The Salvation: Western flick starring Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen (also in "The Hunt" which is one of my favorite movies of the year so far). Fantastic flick. I put this in the same league as "The Unforgiven"

I'm assuming "The Rope" is Rope. Many don't know that Hitchcock tried the the long take experiment again in his next film Under Capricorn. Though starring Joseph Cotton and Ingrid Bergman it's probably in the bottom five of Hitchcock's films. Though even with his worst films there's always something to see.
Last edited by The Old Man
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
The Lady Vanishes
Shop Around the Corner
The Rope

I'm assuming "The Rope" is Rope. Many don't know that Hitchcock tried the the long take experiment again in his next film Under Capricorn. Though starring Joseph Cotton and Ingrid Bergman it's probably in the bottom five of Hitchcock's films. Though even with his worst films there's always something to see.

"Rope" is was

and not one of my finer movie watching experiences, but just got done watching "Unfriended" on a flight. Paranormal social media flick meant for the college crowd. Mildly amusing at a time when I have nothing better to do
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:

Anatomy of a Murder
The Bicycle Thief
Charade
Casablanca (one of my favorites)
Conflict
Dial M For Murder
Dr. Strangelove (please tell me you've seen this)
Harvey
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Spencer Tracy version)
Gaslight
In a Lonely Place
The Kid (Chaplin)
Lifeboat
The Man Who Knew Too Much
North by Northwest
Rear Window
Mr. Smith goes to Washington
The Searchers (John Wayne, not hugely into westerns but this one is great)
The Longest Day (another John Wayne, about D-Day. Very solid movie)
3 Days of the Condor and All The President's Men - not as old but Robert Redford is just amazing in these
Vertigo
The Third Man
The Visit

There are many others, this was a list from a quick scan of my itunes!

That's a nice list. I've seen most of those (recently watched Rear Window in the last 2 weeks actually) but have now put 5 more onto my list
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

Board-O, don't know what it is, but trains in film often make for good bedfellows. Wink

I see Hackman often around town. He still even at his age has an edge about him. The word gravitas always comes to mind when we bump into him.

Doesn't he live in Taos?

TOM, the remake. Didn't know there was an original.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Doesn't he live in Taos?

Board-O, he lives in Santa Fe. His wife owns a high end retail store, and he is around the stables from time to time.
Double Indemnity: fantastic flick. Love the film noir dialogue and seeing Fred MacMurray in role other than My Three Sons!
quote:
Double Indemnity: fantastic flick. Love the film noir dialogue and seeing Fred MacMurray in role other than My Three Sons!
Often Edgar G. Robinson is only known for his gangster roles (of which the seminal Little Caesar is on TCM Sunday 3:15am EDT), however as this move shows he was often just a wonderful actor. Other standout roles are in Orson Welles' The Stranger the devastating All My Sons. He was also one the top art collectors from the "Golden Age
quote:

Double Indemnity: The early Pulp Fiction. Love the dialogue.
quote:

Check him out as a world-class pr!*k in The Apartment.
quote:
quote:
Often Edgar G. Robinson is only known for his gangster roles (of which the seminal Little Caesar is on TCM Sunday 3:15am EDT), however as this move shows he was often just a wonderful actor. Other standout roles are in Orson Welles' The Stranger the devastating All My Sons. He was also one the top art collectors from the "Golden Age

Bingo, we have a winner.
quote:
An American in Rome

I knew there was one in Paris, but Rome? The director Steno (!) 80 directing credits and I've never heard of him. Where do you find these freaking things?
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Yep.

I also watched the third The Hobbit movie, but it was so bad I was too ashamed to mention it.

Stopped 35 minutes into the first one. Really should have been a single 2 1/2 hour film, but Jackson's head exploded.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
Trainwreck

Needed a Lebron fix? Smile

Big Grin I deserved that. He actually did pretty well. Date night with my wife, we both had some good laughs.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Trainwreck

Needed a Lebron fix? Smile

Big Grin I deserved that. He actually did pretty well. Date night with my wife, we both had some good laughs.

He did seem pretty natural on screen, not forced. We liked it as well.
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
On flights this week

Maps to the Stars
October Gale
The Theory of Everything
Margin Call
Elephant Song

Steve, if you had to pick just one of these to watch, which would it be?
quote:

Edgar G. Robinson... He was also one the top art collectors from the "Golden Age

He was indeed. I think he and Vincent Price owned an art gallery at one time.

Price studied art history at Yale and was very learned in the arts in general.
Last edited by wineart 2
quote:
quote:

Edgar G. Robinson... He was also one the top art collectors from the "Golden Age

He was indeed. I think he and Vincent Price owned an art gallery at one time.

Price studied art history at Yale as was very learned in the arts in general.

Price was also a very good amateur chef. I had an often-used copy of his excellent cookbook for years, but lost it when a friend borrowed and accidentally ruined it (fell into sink with dirty water, and replacement could not be found). The book had lots of anecdotes about himself and his travels, in addition to the recipes. He was a true bon vivant.
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:

Price was also a very good amateur chef. I had an often-used copy of his excellent cookbook for years, but lost it when a friend borrowed and accidentally ruined it (fell into sink with dirty water, and replacement could not be found). The book had lots of anecdotes about himself and his travels, in addition to the recipes. He was a true bon vivant.

Seaquam,

If it's the same book (A Treasury of Great Recipes), the 50th Anniversary Edition is scheduled for release September 16.
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Le Samourai

Is this the Cruise movie with French subtitles? Big Grin

I don't know of an actor named Cruise. Razz
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam: I had an often-used copy of [Vincent Price's]...excellent cookbook for years, but lost it when a friend borrowed and accidentally ruined it (fell into sink with dirty water, and replacement could not be found).

Take your pick

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.