quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
Henry V

Branagh's best work but difficult to go wrong when you have Brian Blessed, Derek Jacobi, Ian Holm, Judi Dench, Emma Thompson, Robbie Coltrane, even a very young Christian Bale to work with.

Wonderful soundtrack and one of the best battle scenes in moviedom.

Great movie.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
We Were Strangers

John Garfield is certainly an underappreciated actor. Probably because he died so you, age 39, and also because he's gives very understated performances. His most well known role was in The Postman Always Rings Twice. I really like him in The Breaking Point, a version of Hemingway's To Have and To Have Not. (Interestingly enough I think he was in three Hemingway adapations.) I also really like the boxing movie Body and Soul. Never hurts to have James Wong Howe behind the camera.
Too Much Johnson--1938. Orson Welles was nothing if not creative. He shot three silent sequences that were to be projected at certain moments in a live stage production of the same named play. An early attempt at a multi-media production. The film was never used. The only known print was lost during a fire in Welles' Spanish home in 1970. A complete unedited print of all the shots was discovered in Italy in 2008 and first shown in 2013.

As the film is currently shown it's not ready for viewing since it remains unedited and there are numerous takes of the same shots over and over. However you can see glimpses of the cleverness of Welles' with a chase through a maze of crates (The crates reminding one of the end of Citizen Kane and a humorous sequence with the villain, looking for our hero (Joseph Cotten in his first screen performance), by removing the hats from dozens and dozens of men.

The full edited one hour is for Welles completists only, but it's worth dipping into sequences, especially the two mentioned.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
Too Much Johnson--1938. Orson Welles was nothing if not creative. He shot three silent sequences that were to be projected at certain moments in a live stage production of the same named play. An early attempt at a multi-media production. The film was never used. The only known print was lost during a fire in Welles' Spanish home in 1970. A complete unedited print of all the shots was discovered in Italy in 2008 and first shown in 2013.

As the film is currently shown it's not ready for viewing since it remains unedited and there are numerous takes of the same shots over and over. However you can see glimpses of the cleverness of Welles' with a chase through a maze of crates (The crates reminding one of the end of Citizen Kane and a humorous sequence with the villain, looking for our hero (Joseph Cotten in his first screen performance), by removing the hats from dozens and dozens of men.

The full edited one hour is for Welles completists only, but it's worth dipping into sequences, especially the two mentioned.

Very cool. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Florida Keys Girl:
Princess Bride with friends who had somehow never seen it who had somehow never seen it

Inconceivable!
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Princess Bride with friends who had somehow never seen it who had somehow never seen it

Inconceivable!

Prepare to die.
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:

Inconceivable!

For serious. How did they like it?

The Lady Vanishes
Its been ages since I viewed. I didn't even recall the 1938 aspect of the film... Well, the production values leave something to be desired by today's standards; but man oh man, he sure did know how to make 'em.
Paths of Glory--100 pts. What can you say about this absolutely great movie? Each time I discover something new in the photography, staging (obviously significant in the battle sequence, but even when 2 or 3 men are just moving around a room), dialogue and acting. For some reason I have never noticed that the minimal music track during the heart of the movie is all played on drums.

Essential viewing.
The Third Man First time in too many years to view at a cinema.

The Jean Cocteau is such a treasure for film nuts here in Santa Fe. Cool
quote:

Me jealous.

Things we'll never know--Is the cockatoo in The Third Man in any way related to the poorly superimposed cockatoo in Citizen Kane?
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:

Me jealous.

Things we'll never know--Is the cockatoo in The Third Man in any way related to the poorly superimposed cockatoo in Citizen Kane?

George R.R. Martin lives in Santa Fe. He bought and restored the cinema. He also has both contemporary and classic films showing every week. Starting today a couple of weeks of older Woody films. Martin shows what he loves, and he knows serious cinema.

The next time I walk by his house I will try to remember to take a picture for you. It is not your normal home for such a wealthy person. For that matter, nor is he. The last time I saw him at breakfast, he looked homeless. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Gone Girl - intense and disturbing, but excellent

+1 watched it sunday. Pretty entertaining.
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:

Ok, I get that the "girl" is crazy, but I still have trouble believing that the guy would stay with her because she artificially inseminated herself with his sperm..

I think Paradise by the Dashboard Light scenario is more believable..
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:

Isn't this pretty much the same movie as Into the Wild?
quote:
Originally posted by bates40:

Gone Girl -

Isn't this pretty much the same movie as Into the Wild?

Confused I think Jon Krakauer just had a stroke.
quote:
The Magnificent Ambersons

I would love to have seen the original cut to compare to RKO's.

We were lucky that we essentially get to see how Welles wanted Touch of Evil to be. Unfortunately the film elements just aren't there for TMA.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.