Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
The Fault in Our Stars

I held it together for most of the movie. Lost it at the end. Incredibly sad although predictable ending. Doesn't diminish it in the least.

I was in a hurry and half-tripped just before the escalator up to see Birdman on Tuesday night -- and nearly face planted atop Shaileen who was walking in the other direction with two of her friends. Luckily (or unluckily) I caught my balance. It was only after catching my balance that I realized who would have broken my fall. I don't think she noticed what happened.

How did you like Birdman?
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
The Fault in Our Stars

I held it together for most of the movie. Lost it at the end. Incredibly sad although predictable ending. Doesn't diminish it in the least.

I was in a hurry and half-tripped just before the escalator up to see Birdman on Tuesday night -- and nearly face planted atop Shaileen who was walking in the other direction with two of her friends. Luckily (or unluckily) I caught my balance. It was only after catching my balance that I realized who would have broken my fall. I don't think she noticed what happened.

How did you like Birdman?

I really enjoyed it but did not adore it. I'll write a thorough review in a few days. I'm traveling at the moment.
Life After Beth: yet another quirky installment of the zombie genre. Fun for a flight but that's about it

Trick R Treat: mildly entertaining horror flick

Hercules: Ok, I'll admit it . . . I think Dwayne Johnson has made some fun to watch dark comedies and action flicks in his career (particularly liked Pain & Gain). This was solidly mediocre. Mildly entertaining for a flight movie but not sure if I would have watched the entire thing if I were at home without some judicious use of the fast-forward function
It 1927
Always wanted to see the film that gave Clara Bow her moniker of "The it girl." So many interesting things that reflect the time it was made. Also lots of now lost phrases, such as, "What are you trying to offer me, one of those left handed arrangements?"

Side note, her first real starring role was in the 1924 Wine, which has since been lost.

The same year as It she starred in Wings which of course was the first film to win an Academy Award, the only true silent film to win this now meaningless award.
Last edited by The Old Man
quote:
Originally posted by Vinolocity:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Snowpiercer.

Well, I wanted some mindless entertainment. What was Tilda Swinton doing in that?

Or Ed Harris for that matter... I really do need to start trusting others recommendations, or rather, warnings. This was a giant 2 hour POS.

I heard this was good and unique. It is next in my que.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:

I think Dwayne Johnson has made some fun to watch dark comedies and action flicks

I'm trying to think if I have ever seen a movie he was in... cannot recall one.

Your not missing anything. Very likable ex-wrestler who has created a wonderful career for himself. I can't think of what "dark comedies" are being referred to however.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
Saw Gone Girl last weekend. Scared me. I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. My darling wife had read the book and knew what was coming, and she had pretty much the same reaction as I.

Going to see Whiplash tonight.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Best descriptor for Whiplash: intense!

I was transfixed watching the complex relationship between the Teller and Simmons characters, with hating and wanting to please becoming intertwined for Teller. Also, found the contrast between Teller's dad (Reiser) and Simmons interesting, in light of Teller's relationship with each. Success is desired by all, but the road to success varies with the individuals. No spoilers, but the ending did leave me wanting a bit more resolution; there's the obvious unanswered question of where the relationships go afterwards, and too much complexity for the viewer to predict it, which I guess is what the director wanted.

I saw that you missed the first few minutes. You shouldn't have. I was mesmerized the entire time, from the first scene on, and I think my heart was beating faster than normal and my palms sweating in the final scene. (Hope nobody gets the wrong idea reading that last sentence Smile)

There'll be some Oscar nominations for this film for sure.
The Past
Iranian filmmaker, Asghar Farhadi, of the great A Separation, makes a film outside of Iran in France with French speaking actors. A more nuanced film that continues his theme of family relationships and leaves you thinking about, perhaps, whatever situation you currently find yourself. Not and easy film, but one of grays, whose Paris is of ordinary streets, frequently wet, graffitied and totally non-beautiful. The homes are cluttered, and natural, and the new coat of paint that's being applied (to change home to make a new life), simply covers the previous paint's peels.

Though not as great as A Separation, perhaps more haunting.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
The Past
Iranian filmmaker, Asghar Farhadi, of the great A Separation, makes a film outside of Iran in France with French speaking actors. A more nuanced film that continues his theme of family relationships and leaves you thinking about, perhaps, whatever situation you currently find yourself. Not and easy film, but one of grays, whose Paris is of ordinary streets, frequently wet, graffitied and totally non-beautiful. The homes are cluttered, and natural, and the new coat of paint that's being applied (to change home to make a new life), simply covers the previous paint's peels.

Though not as great as A Separation, perhaps more haunting.

+1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.