Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
Groundhog Day

Seen this many many times, ... I think I must have seen this a good 10 times over the years and it is just as funny (and almost just as fresh) on the 11th viewing

The irony. Razz

Now there's an idea for an indie film! A guy who wakes up every day and has to watch Groundhog Day over and over... Wink
Sort of a loop within a loop.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
Groundhog Day

Seen this many many times, but was reminded of how good it is during a recent offline. I think I must have seen this a good 10 times over the years and it is just as funny (and almost just as fresh) on the 11th viewing

I think it's a great movie on many levels. When I first heard the premise I figured it coudn't possibly work. Ramis was a genius and this was Murray's finest work.

The great film universities like Chapman, UT Austin, USC, Emerson and others will be exploring this truly great parable 100 years from today.

GREATNESS!
Happy Feet with my little guy. What an odd movie. 3.5 year old gave it a thumbs down, I followed suit.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I was impressed with Stiller's directing, the soundtrack and especially the cinematography. Not a lot of substance to the movie but I was beautiful to look at and listen to and was a nice feel good movie.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Under the Skin

Verdict?

Curious about this, myself...

It looks like indybob liked it. Of course it got good reviews, so that along with the other thing, I'm going to see it regardless; but interested in your take.

As for me:

Neighbors

Nothing *wrong* with it. Efron actually did a lot with what he was given. Byrne and Rogan's characters have a weird short fight that seems to come out of no where for no reason. But I like that she is as much into the nonsense as he is -- seems more like a real relationship, at least amongst my friends... the only problem is, I didn't laugh that much. And it is meant to be a raunchy comedy. B-
Winetarelli, I did like it, enough to give it a perfect four stars. I found it spellbinding, one I've been thinking of since I saw it Sunday.

A few critics really panned it though, one called it laughable. It will probably appeal to you if you enjoy the leisurely--and somewhat self-indulgent--pacing of Malick films, which I do.
Saw the first part of the 2013 Great Gatsby with Leo. So far I am underwhelmed. I like Baz Luhrman movies and it is filmed beautifully but Carey Mulligan (I think that is her name) is horrible miscast as Daisy in my opinion and I don't think McGuire is really working as Nick. Leo as Gatsby I have no problem with other than the over-reliance on "Old Sport" which I am already incredibly sick of and hope i never here again. Not sure I am going to make it to the end - not that there are any surprises
Love in the Time of Cholera

Been awhile since I've seen this, so watched it again. The film has its shortcomings -- at the forefront are some poor actor choices/acting -- and isn't anywhere near as good as the book, but I like Javier Bardem and find Giovanna Mezzogiorno mezmerizing (though the makeup job to age her was pretty bad).

The Killer Inside Me

Strange little film that is a bit graphic, but very good and I just enjoyed the whole feel of it. Thought Casey Affleck did a good job in it. Found it strange that Bill Pullman took the very small role he did. Have to wonder if some of it ended up on the cutting room floor.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The East

I want Britt Marling for my girlfriend. However I don't know if she goes for married, older, bald, slightly overweight men with no money.

My guess is you can sell everything listed up to the no money part. Do not forget, she has a degree from Georgetown in economics. Wink
quote:
Pompei - essentially, a fairly poor attempt to recreate Gladiator. Just barely kept my attention during a recent flight

Wolf of Wall Street: I think others had posted on this. Enjoyed this but thought it was perhaps 30-45 minutes longer than it needed to be

considering it isn'te ven about wall st =)
quote:
Wolf of Wall Street: I think others had posted on this. Enjoyed this but thought it was perhaps 30-45 minutes longer than it needed to be

Again, Parcival, you and I are in agreement.

Here was my review upon returning from the theater the week it was released:

The Wolf of Wall Street

2 hours, 5 minutes of wonderfullness, then another 45 minutes dragged out too much. The movie is the funniest I've seen Scorsese do and as DiCaprio's character is rising and at the top the movie is wonderful, energetic, fast paced, and debaucherous in the best ways. But as his character falls from grace the movie cannot keep up its frenetic energy. All of the performances, from Joanna Lumley to Rob Reiner to Jean Dujardin to Margot Robbie are excellent. Jonah Hill is wonderful if a little too theatrical at times. DiCaprio is brilliant -- one of his best performances. A lot of fun and the debauchery is great to feel almost a part of. At the end though, because it just sort of peeters out, because it is based upon a true story, there isn't the grand finale that the rest of the movie (if it were totally fiction) would seem building towards. Strong A- for the first 3/4s, B for the last 1/4. Overall: B+/A-

A word about Her and The Wolf of Wall Street... and American Hustle, which I know you enjoyed very much. If you go back, I rated American Hustle slightly higher than both The Wolf of Wall Street and Her upon leaving the theater and writing a review within the next 24 hours. However, as time has worn on, American Hustle has not stayed with me the way either Her or The Wolf of Wall Street did and ultimately, when I made my "best of" list months later, American Hustle was my number 4 film of the year, after The Wolf of Wall Street and Her. (12 Years a Slave was my #1 by a strong margin.)
Ender's Game

Pretty bad. Might have been marginally better on big screen because of special effects. On small screen the effects were unimpressive, which just left bad acting and story.

Forks over Knives

Interesting documentary. I changed my eating habits last year (pretty much eliminating fast food and most processed food), but this film makes me want to go even further. Don't see myself cutting animal protein and dairy out completely, but I do think I'm going to cut out more dairy and restrict animal protein to only one meal at most a day. Of course, now I'm off to the grocery store to pick up some beef, boiled ham and Fontina cheese to bring Beef Rollups to party I'm going to today. Roll Eyes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.