Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
Personally, I found Jude Law and Bradley Cooper -- both incredible actors in their own rights -- to be the weak links of the two respective movies.

I guess this is why we are all different, but I don't get the comment about Bradley Cooper. I found him to rise above everyone else. I liked Jennifer Lawrence, but it might just be because I REALLY LIKE Jennifer Lawrence...if you know what I mean.
The Wolf of Wall Street

2 hours, 5 minutes of wonderfullness, then another 45 minutes dragged out too much. The movie is the funniest I've seen Scorsese do and as DiCaprio's character is rising and at the top the movie is wonderful, energetic, fast paced, and debaucherous in the best ways. But as his character falls from grace the movie cannot keep up its frenetic energy. All of the performances, from Joanna Lumley to Rob Reiner to Jean Dujardin to Margot Robbie are excellent. Jonah Hill is wonderful if a little too theatrical at times. DiCaprio is brilliant -- one of his best performances. A lot of fun and the debauchery is great to feel almost a part of. At the end though, because it just sort of peeters out, because it is based upon a true story, there isn't the grand finale that the rest of the movie (if it were totally fiction) would seem building towards. Strong A- for the first 3/4s, B for the last 1/4. Overall: B+/A-
Queen of Versailles - best documentary I have seen in a long time.

story about Westgate family - who slimly (if a word) make tons upon tons of cash sell time shares in Florida and Vegas. When the stock market crashes, their house of cards, which is built upon mortgage backed securities, comes tumbling down.

How the wife (former beauty queen) and husband (rich old prick) respond could absolutely be a perfect spoof on the absurdly rich, but was their actual real-life response to "cutting back."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125666/
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:
The Place Beyond the Pines

What did you think? I noticed that this was moving its way up my Netflix queue.

In general I liked it, the acting was good. It felt like a movie made from a long book that didn't allow further exploration of themes running through the book. (I don't believe it was adapted from a book though). I'd say it was worth watching.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.