Watched Fruitvale Station re: oscar Grant shooting by BART police officer.

While factually questionable, the movie was extremely gripping. Open sobbing in the theater, people yelling at the screen for Grant to make it although it was obvious that he did not - near the end of the movie the gentleman behind me had what was originally thought to be a heart attack, but just turned out to be an anxiety-based reaction to the shooting scene.
quote:
Originally posted by bates40:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
A Late Quartet

Catherine Keener, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Christopher (Cowbell) Walken. What could go wrong?


I tried watching this on the plane on the way over. Seemed like a cool concept. I gave up after awhile as it didn't seem to be going anywhere.


Flying Virgin? I also tried ot watch it but instead fell asleep


Swiss. I switched over to the Fellowship of the Ring.
Total Recall
circa 2012 version
Not too shabby. I like some of the twists they did on the original but overall I like the original for its grittiness, cheesiness and campiness.

Doc Hollywood
Just felt like watching it again. Still cute, funny. The lake scene with Julie Warner always gets my blood a pumping.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
.

Doc Hollywood
Just felt like watching it again. Still cute, funny. The lake scene with Julie Warner always gets my blood a pumping.


I never understood why she did not become a bigger star - was great in that film. Very underrated movie
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
.

Doc Hollywood
Just felt like watching it again. Still cute, funny. The lake scene with Julie Warner always gets my blood a pumping.


I never understood why she did not become a bigger star - was great in that film. Very underrated movie


It was filmed in part in Micanopy, FL, just south of Gainesville and on my commutes to/from home when I was a student, I'd drive through on my way back and think I was in Grady! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
.

Doc Hollywood
Just felt like watching it again. Still cute, funny. The lake scene with Julie Warner always gets my blood a pumping.


I never understood why she did not become a bigger star - was great in that film. Very underrated movie


It was filmed in part in Micanopy, FL, just south of Gainesville and on my commutes to/from home when I was a student, I'd drive through on my way back and think I was in Grady! Smile


It's a great film and holds up well. I also thought it was a shame when Pixar ripped off the plot and re-made it into Cars. Prior to that, their films had been original and inventive.
Atlas Shrugged II. We watched the first one and it was pretty bad, but had a moment or two. It's going to be a trilogy. So we watched the second one. One interesting thing is they replaced the entire cast. But it didn't matter, as my wife so correctly put it, "It's uniformly mediocre." There is literally not one moment that's worth anyone's time, but it's hard to stop watching. You keep thinking there must be something of value coming up. But no.

Can't wait for the final part in 2014!
I watched parts of The Man with the Iron Fists last night while I was pacing the house with the little one. Silly movie, but fun as well. Jamie Chung is a cutie.
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
Exit through the Gift Shop

Maybe I need to watch it again but it didn't do much for me.

Eek
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
42.

I really enjoyed it.


Dubbed into French, I presume?
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Cries & Whispers

Ah, one of Bergman's light romps.


Razz
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Lady Vanishes

Winner An under-appreciated movie, imo.

Spring Breakers
Interesting. Not particularly sexy, despite Vanessa and Ashley looking amazing and running around in bikinis. (And the other two, as well.) Hardly a plot to speak of. But an interesting deconstruction of "spring break" culture. The distance between James Franco's excellent controlled over-the-top performance and the others' capabilities is in full view, but it doesn't detract as the girls are supposed to be novi. I'm not certain if it is good or not. But it is somewhat interesting, if long (at 90 minutes) for what it is. B-
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Lady Vanishes

Winner An under-appreciated movie, imo.

Not in the world of dedicated Hitchcock admirers and knowledgeable film enthusiasts.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Lady Vanishes

Winner An under-appreciated movie, imo.

Not in the world of dedicated Hitchcock admirers and knowledgeable film enthusiasts.


You do realize you just eliminated 90% of all moviegoers, right? Wink

Old Man, the great winetarelli is a serious movie buff as well.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Lady Vanishes

Winner An under-appreciated movie, imo.

Not in the world of dedicated Hitchcock admirers and knowledgeable film enthusiasts.


You do realize you just eliminated 90% of all moviegoers, right? Wink

Old Man, the great winetarelli is a serious movie buff as well.

Oops, then it's not under appreciated in our circle. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
The Lady Vanishes

Winner An under-appreciated movie, imo.

Not in the world of dedicated Hitchcock admirers and knowledgeable film enthusiasts.


You do realize you just eliminated 90% of all moviegoers, right? Wink

Old Man, the great winetarelli is a serious movie buff as well.

Oops, then it's not under appreciated in our circle. Wink


We need to get winetarelli down to San Diego in September when I'm in town.
quote:
Robert Weide documentary on Woody Allen

Isn't this the same one that was on PBS and it currently on Netflix streaming?
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Robert Weide documentary on Woody Allen

Isn't this the same one that was on PBS and it currently on Netflix streaming?


It was released last week on the BBC in two parts.

I'm not sure.
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
More researching this is it. If you haven't seen it yet get thee to Netflix and enjoy!


It is on my list for my next week of flying, which is the week of the 12th.
the Quartet. A British movie with the great Maggie Smith. About a retirement home for retired classical musicians. Stars many older retired musicians. Nice.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
the Quartet. A British movie with the great Maggie Smith. About a retirement home for retired classical musicians. Stars many older retired musicians. Nice.

Not an entirely British movie; it marks Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
the Quartet. A British movie with the great Maggie Smith. About a retirement home for retired classical musicians. Stars many older retired musicians. Nice.

Not an entirely British movie; it marks Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut. Smile


quite true. I was speaking in terms of genre.
Up with a sick baby, he fell asleep in my arms about 5:00am, couldn't risk putting him down, so I finally got to watch Tinker-Tailor.
quote:
Originally posted by txgolfpro:
Up with a sick baby, he fell asleep in my arms about 5:00am, couldn't risk putting him down, so I finally got to watch Tinker-Tailor.


Pro,

I hope your baby is better, and very soon.

I'm not sure you picked the best time to watch that movie. I would not want to watch it if I was tired.

Add Reply

×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×