quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
A Shot in the Dark

One of my favorites.
Give me ten men like Clouseau and I could destroy the world.

It's my favorite Clouseau movie I think.

#2 for me, behind The Return of the Pink Panther (the one where Christopher Plummer plays "Sir Charles Phantom, the notorious litton")
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Moon Over Parador

Two hours of my life I will never get back.

I'm surprised. I thought it was hilarious. I'm not a Dreyfuss fan but thought he was great; Raul Julia was pitch perfect and Sonia Braga was easy on the eyes. For me it was a mixture of Shakespeare and Chaplin.
I guess I've seen too many of these movies, where an ordinary guy is switched with a leader (think "Dave"), and has to pretend to be the leader. During that process, he turns out to be a more compassionate and effective leader than the original dude. And of course, somehow pulls a switch at the end so that he can return to his normal life, wiser and secure in the knowledge that only he knows that a switch was ever made.

I do agree that Raul Julia is a fine actor. Watching him in this made me want to pop in "Presumed Innocent", where he does a magnificent role as a defense attorney.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
I guess I've seen too many of these movies, where an ordinary guy is switched with a leader (think "Dave"), and has to pretend to be the leader. During that process, he turns out to be a more compassionate and effective leader than the original dude.

The only time it worked was in Bananas (of course it's not quite serious) and the scene with the translator is priceless.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Talk to Her. (Pedro Almodovar Cool )

quote:
All About My Mother

Is Volver up next? Or is it Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!?

Wink

Perhaps a revisit of the excellent Volver may indeed be in order.

Thanks for the thought, Former15.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Watched a good chunk of Moonrise Kingdom last night before giving up and going to bed. I just found it boring and more of the same from Wes Anderson.

Too many good actors in it for it to be so boring. I expected a lot more.
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
World War Z

You could so easily tell that the last 40 minutes of this movie had to be re-shot with a different story written by a different writer than the first part of the movie. What a joke of a film taken from such a well regarded, smart book.
This is interesting you could sense this about WWZ. I have not seen it, but it was apparently in big trouble and they couldn't figure out what to do with it and tacked this section on. Apparently it, and the marketing worked, because it did very well considering that they expected a financial disaster.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Touch of Evil

Big Grin

I know it is not a commonly held opinion, but this is my favorite of Welles' movies.

Ditto.

The opening sequence was shot in Venice (LA) by the boardwalk. Same with the final scene in the canal and oil wells. The area has been cleaned up but the buildings are still there and recognizable.

Add Reply

Likes (0)