quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
I liked This is 40 even though Winetarelli's criticism is mostly correct also. Probably because I am 40 - was anyway when I saw the flick that I liked it anyway

+1. At 39 with young children I found a number of relatable parts. My wife enjoyed as well.

Neither of us went with the mindset that it was anything more than a good laugh.

I forgot my strongest criticism of the movie...

I am (all too) aware that when parents have mid-life crises they sometimes allow those to affect their children. And even sometimes they take out their own problems on their children. In This is 40 the parents, almost relentlessly, take out their mid-life crises on their children and the movie's point of view gives the parents a free pass on it. The free pass really turned me off.

To each his own, again I didnt approach it as something that I would set my moral compass by, rather a couple hours of fun.
Has anyone here watched The Host?. And anyone here a fan of the talented young actress Saorise Ronan? I think she is incredible, but often end-up cast in a lot of mediocre movies.

I first noticed her in The Way Back (2010), not to be confused with The way, way back (2013). This girl had a minor screen time but pivotal role in the film. Anyways, today I saw a youtube trailer of "The Host" starring Saorise Ronan, I was like, Cool. But then the trailer read "From the author of Twilight Saga". Well... shit. Thoughts anyone?
This is the End

B/B-

Further review tomorrow, but it is basically exactly as it advertises. Six famous buddies in a house dealing with the apocalypse and the ridiculousness, conversationally and situationally, that ensues. The fact that the characters are playing it straight (well, as straight as possible, and they are pretty self-aware) and not winking at the camera is what makes the movie work. Although, "work" is relative as, despite very good production value, the scope of the movie is necessarily limited. I expect some will hate it, some will love it, and some will find it just above average -- which is where I fall. (There were, however, about a half dozen times I laughed out loud.) Also, I needn't state the obvious, but there is a wonderful, though brief, bit of fresh air in the movie; timing-wise, however, I think it happens too early.

Another addendum for tonight: while it is never mentioned in the movie, an unstated joke running through the movie is that virtually everyone involved in the movie is Jewish, which wouldn't be funny if it weren't for their universal (movie) acceptance of the Christian god. "The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are all the same thing. It is like tiramisu." Yes, that line happened.
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
I watched Moonrise Kingdom this afternoon. It was good, but some of the "special effects" really stood out like a sore thumb.

Your take away from Moonrise Kingdom was in regards to special effects?!?! Wow. Big Grin

(FYI: My favorite movie of 2012)
Re: Moonrise Kingdom

After seeing one too many of his (Wes Anderson) films, I find the quirky personalities, families and plots to actually be formulaic and pretentious. But I'm in the minority.

City of Your Final Destination - Bad title for a great little drama. Directed by James Ivory. As always, Laura Linney is a pleasure to watch and stands out among other actors.
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
In Bruges - in preparation for a visit to Bruges in July. Started very slowly but loved it by the end. And looking forward even more to seeing the city itself.

bman, I hope you visit on a beautiful day. I love Bruges.

I find Bruges to be a peaceful and relaxing village. Grab a table for lunch next to a window and enjoy the view with a simple lunch and a bottle of Rose or a white of your choice.

If I can find the name of the restaurant we enjoyed I will post it.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
In Bruges - in preparation for a visit to Bruges in July. Started very slowly but loved it by the end. And looking forward even more to seeing the city itself.

I find Bruges to be a peaceful and relaxing village. Grab a table for lunch next to a window and enjoy the view with a simple lunch and a bottle of Rose or a white of your choice.

Thanks w+a. We'd appreciate any recommendations. In fact we will be 4-5 days in Belgium, most in Ghent, and would appreciate any advice.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks w+a. We'd appreciate any recommendations. In fact we will be 4-5 days in Belgium, most in Ghent, and would appreciate any advice.

Will do. Our daughter is out of the country currently, but will talk to her as well. She lived in Belgium for a year while in college, and has excellent taste and knows the country well.

If all fails, drink beer, the finest in the world. Cool
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Will do. Our daughter is out of the country currently, but will talk to her as well. She lived in Belgium for a year while in college, and has excellent taste and knows the country well.

Agreed on your last comment. A regular stop in London, usually more than once, is Belgo, for Belgian beers and Belgian food. And the evening of June 30 will find us in the Grand Place quaffing something Belgian!
quote:
quote:

Agreed on your last comment.

I have been told by many you are a gentleman, scholar and a man of refined taste. Wink[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a compliment! Especially since you know I enjoy drinking Mollydookers!
On the spur of the moment we went out and saw Star Trek Into the Darkness last night (we missed the start of Now You See Me, so this was the back up film). Really fun popcorn flick. I think they've done a great job with being true to the TV series (and subsequent films) but updating it without following the original story lines. So, characters die now that didn't before and similar events happen but to different characters. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I won't go into detail for those who remember this stuff. But, either I wasn't paying attention to the last film and they are operating on a parallel time line or the writers / producers are really smart by re-building a new franchise out of an old one by re-mixing the old stories. My only complaint with this re-boot, is with Simon Pegg. I like him. I like his acting. I just don't think he's the right guy to play Scotty. Otherwise, I think this is a lot of fun to watch. Better than the original cast, which is weird because this cast is made to look like the original cast. So you are watching actors playing actors playing characters, at least of Spock and Bones (Zachary Quinto playing Leonard Nimoy playing Spock). It's almost like a Sat Night skit, but without the laughs and it works.

Add Reply

Likes (0)