Skip to main content

True Grit 2010

I really don't know how I feel about this one. I went in expecting to enjoy it quite a bit, as I like the original, Jeff Bridges and the cast, and a lot of the Coen Brother's past work, but this one really left me in the middle and unsure. Bridges and the young girl were great in it, but something about it just didn't really do it for me. I'd still say it was a good flick and definitely watchable, but that's about it. And I also expected Josh Brolin to have a larger role in the movie, but all he really had was about a 5 minute window.
quote:
Originally posted by AZwineRyan:
True Grit 2010

I really don't know how I feel about this one. I went in expecting to enjoy it quite a bit, as I like the original, Jeff Bridges and the cast, and a lot of the Coen Brother's past work, but this one really left me in the middle and unsure. Bridges and the young girl were great in it, but something about it just didn't really do it for me. I'd still say it was a good flick and definitely watchable, but that's about it. And I also expected Josh Brolin to have a larger role in the movie, but all he really had was about a 5 minute window.
Barry Pepper was great even in his somewhat limited role.
Yeah, sounds like we're about on the same page. It's a decent and watchable flick, but not the original. Surely no 'No Country For Old Men' from the Coen brothers.

I can't think of a modern western that's really delivered for quite some time now. I absolutely love 'Tombstone' and 'Unforgiven' from the early 90's, but nothing's really stood out since then. 'Open Range' wasn't bad, but the ending dragged on and on.
quote:
Yeah, sounds like we're about on the same page. It's a decent and watchable flick, but not the original. Surely no 'No Country For Old Men' from the Coen brothers.

I can't think of a modern western that's really delivered for quite some time now. I absolutely love 'Tombstone' and 'Unforgiven' from the early 90's, but nothing's really stood out since then. 'Open Range' wasn't bad, but the ending dragged on and on.

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I thought 3:10 to Yuma (the remake) was quality. I never saw the original.
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:
The Ghost and the Darkness

Hadn't seen it in several years, and the wife had yet to see it.

I liked it. I made a point of seeking out the lions in Chicago's Field Museum.

I really enjoy it...this was about the 5th or 6th time I've seen it. I'd like to check out the exhibit in Chicago some day myself.

Adam10, the movie is based off the true story of two rogue male lions who completely terrorized a town of workers building a bridge in Africa...killing dozens of men in the process. While obviously the hunting of these lions is a large part of the movie, it's far more than just "a lion chase."
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Apocalypto

Really liked this.

Should have won best picture.

It was very good (***), but Oscar good? Nah. I preferred the three nominees I saw (Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, Letters from Iwo Jima) from that year to Apocalypto.

I can see how it would have rabid fans, who love first person cut-off heads rolling down stairs. Razz

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.