MOVIES: What are you watching?

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Babel.

Thumbs up!


Yes, agree, but it was so depressing it made me want to go to the baby goat petting zoo and go watch old videos of "Up with People!"

Have you seen the equally joyless, but superior (IMO), Amorres Perros?

On another note, I just saw the new buddy flick Step Brothers. I went in expecting a piece of junk. A bit long, horrible acting, but some real laughs. I'd recommend if you like the genre.
A couple of nights ago, Gone Bayby, Gone -- GREAT! One of the best movies of last year.

I think tonight I am going to re-watch Pan's Labyrinth -- that IS my favorite movie of two years ago. Alternatively, depending upon my mood, I'll watch that movie with Krisetn Bell and Russell Brand that Apatow produced, if it is already on DVD.

P.S. W+A, while I like Babel I thought it was easily the least of the "Three Amigos'" movies that year. I'f you've not seen Children of Men or, even better, Pan's Labyrinth, get on it. Astounding films, especially the latter.
I saw Pineapple Express on Wednesday. It wasn't my first choice. I give it a C, which is lower than the early yahoo reviews. Lots of laughs and plenty of drug related humor, but the story line was just too weak and unimaginative to make it great. The movie probably would be much better if you smoked 'em before you went.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
A couple of nights ago, Gone Bayby, Gone -- GREAT! One of the best movies of last year.

I think tonight I am going to re-watch Pan's Labyrinth -- that IS my favorite movie of two years ago. Alternatively, depending upon my mood, I'll watch that movie with Krisetn Bell and Russell Brand that Apatow produced, if it is already on DVD.

P.S. W+A, while I like Babel I thought it was easily the least of the "Three Amigos'" movies that year. I'f you've not seen Children of Men or, even better, Pan's Labyrinth, get on it. Astounding films, especially the latter.



winetarelli, thanks for the heads-up. I have really fallen down on the job of movie watching the last couple of years.

I will indeed seek these out.
Shine a Light (Stones/Scorsese). I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Jagger was in fine form and Richards actually played guitar instead of just posing. With the exception of Start Me Up and Satisfaction, the setlist was excellent, and Scorsese knows how to make movies. Recommended, especially for fans.
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
At the theater: The Dark Knight

On DVD: Ratatouille, True Grit, The Devil Wears Prada, Lawrence of Arabia.

Talk about an eclectic mix!


Lawrence of Arabia is wonderful, hope you enjoyed it. I had the chance to see it on the big screen a couple of years ago, and it's on my very short list of best movies ever made.
Recently saw the recent Batman movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. Last night saw Hancock and was much less impressed. Had received some Fandango bucks at Christmas and finally taking the time to use them. Should come in handy when the Oscar potentials start coming out this fall. Looking forward to the new Pacino/De Niro film.
Raging Bull and There Will Be Blood. While they are very different stories, what I liked most about each was the same: first-rate performances by the leading actors (DeNiro & Lewis) and interesting insights into aberrative (paranoid, malicious, self-destructive) behavior. Both get the thumbs up.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
What did my fellow movie fans think of The Departed?


I felt it was good, and everyone acted well. But it wasn't anywhere near a masterpiece. There have been at least 5 Scorsese movies I've liked more, as well as several movies released that year that I liked more. Deffinitely worth seeing, but not excellent by any means, imo.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
What did my fellow movie fans think of The Departed?


I felt it was good, and everyone acted well. But it wasn't anywhere near a masterpiece. There have been at least 5 Scorsese movies I've liked more, as well as several movies released that year that I liked more. Deffinitely worth seeing, but not excellent by any means, imo.


Agreed it is not his best film and I kinda felt the same way the first time I watched it. It's one of those movies like a Pulp Fiction where everytime I watch it I don't growed bored of the film but actually like it more. That makes it an excellent movie imo.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
A couple of nights ago, Gone Bayby, Gone -- GREAT! One of the best movies of last year.

I think tonight I am going to re-watch Pan's Labyrinth -- that IS my favorite movie of two years ago. Alternatively, depending upon my mood, I'll watch that movie with Krisetn Bell and Russell Brand that Apatow produced, if it is already on DVD.

P.S. W+A, while I like Babel I thought it was easily the least of the "Three Amigos'" movies that year. I'f you've not seen Children of Men or, even better, Pan's Labyrinth, get on it. Astounding films, especially the latter.


Agreed Gone Baby Gone and Pan's Labyrinth are two great movies, I been hyping up Pan's ever since I watch it.
quote:
Originally posted by zwine:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
A couple of nights ago, Gone Bayby, Gone -- GREAT! One of the best movies of last year.

I think tonight I am going to re-watch Pan's Labyrinth -- that IS my favorite movie of two years ago. Alternatively, depending upon my mood, I'll watch that movie with Krisetn Bell and Russell Brand that Apatow produced, if it is already on DVD.

P.S. W+A, while I like Babel I thought it was easily the least of the "Three Amigos'" movies that year. I'f you've not seen Children of Men or, even better, Pan's Labyrinth, get on it. Astounding films, especially the latter.


Agreed Gone Baby Gone and Pan's Labyrinth are two great movies, I been hyping up Pan's ever since I watch it.


So have I. Such an amazing film.
fully agreed. lots of wine and beautifully realistic shots of barcelona. and the chicks aren't half bad either... Wink

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:


vicky christina barcelona


We just saw it this morning, and enjoyed it greatly.

KSC02, required to see soon. Excellent shots of Spain, lots of wine drinking, LOTS of serious Expressionist Art, wonderful Spanish guitar, AND beautiful women staring in the movie! Cool

I can not wait until next Spring.
talk about NOT so subtle subliminal influencing...we RAN from the theater to the nearest wine bar!
and then back to my place...
Eek Cool

quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
TBird,

I did notice the Palacios Les Terrasses they were drinking, but most of the wine was white and made me thirsty! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
KSC02, required to see soon. Excellent shots of Spain, lots of wine drinking, LOTS of serious Expressionist Art, wonderful Spanish guitar, AND beautiful women staring in the movie! Cool

I can not wait until next Spring.


Eek Penelope Cruz?! Gotta be worth seeing, if not just for her! Wink

Saw the trailor. Looks good. Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to see this soon. Smile

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×