movie soundtracks

Some of my favorites (many already mentioned above- good calls!):
Last Temptation of Christ- Peter Gabriel (maybe my favorite)
Blade Runner - Vangelis (right up there)
Moulin Rogue - Baz Luhrmann style
Birdy - Peter Gabriel
The Lost Boys
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Tommy - Pete Townshend et al.
West Side Story - Bernstein
And yes, Purple Rain

I'm missing some surely, but will think about and revisit one day.
I should also check out some of the ones mentioned here that I am unfamiliar with.
Shouldn't a Beatles flick be mentioned?
And, where are the lovers of The Sound of Music and other classic 50's-60's musicals?
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Birdy - Peter Gabriel
The Lost Boys
The Wall - Pink Floyd
And yes, Purple Rain

I should also check out some of the ones mentioned here that I am unfamiliar with.
And, where are the lovers of The Sound of Music and other classic 50's-60's musicals?

Some of these selections, though... I mean, you could also include The Last Waltz. Wink

The Sound of Music is a good call because those versions are somewhat definitive. (Whereas, in keeping with the Rogers and Hammerstein theme, for example, I've heard much better versions of South Pacific.) The old NBC Christmas-time version of Peter Pan is definitive for me. But the album Tommy is better than the music from the movie.
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
Birdy - Peter Gabriel
The Lost Boys
The Wall - Pink Floyd
And yes, Purple Rain

The Wall is a soundtrack?

I think I only own one soundtrack - the branagh henry v which is kind of nice. Ah, I also own the soundtrack to the Fabulous Baker Boys.

It seems like biopics of musicians are kind of marginal as best soundtrack contenders - they're often just reusing great music which was great music before it was attached to a movie. I mean, if you include that it seems like someone mentions Amadeus and the rest of the discussion is over, right? And what about those Beatles' movies, do you include them?

I imagine musicals would be near the top, West Side Story, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady.

A lot of music to the Pink Panther movies is good but I don't know any of them that would stand on their own as a soundtrack. I have a collection of highlights from these that is pretty awesome.

I guess when I think of a great movie soundtrack though, the first thing that pops into my head is psycho. Wouldn't want to listen to it alone, but that movie without that music, does it even work?
Many iconic soundtracks listed, though I can't recall ever buying a soundtrack of a movie. I did own Tommy and Quadrophenia by The Who, but the original releases not the movie soundtracks. Certainly heard my share of Blues Brothers, Big Chill and The Commitments soundtracks during college.

I have purchased several "albums" over the years because of first hearing a song in a movie. In fact, just this month, I purchased two Imelda May CDs because of songs I heard in the Wild Target movie. Love her stuff -- some faster songs with rockabilly and blues underpinnings and slow torch-esque songs. Not exactly high brow stuff but fun.
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
My favorite is Grosse Pointe Blank with The Big Chill getting honorable mention.

Love "Grosse Pointe Blank" soundtrack. In the same 80's theme, I'd throw Romy and Michelle's highschool reunion into the mix

Big Chill -- a classic

One other -- "Stand by Me" soundtrack
- The Kill Bill sound tracks are great.
- Royal Tenenbaums hits all the right notes on a rainy, dreary day.
- Trainspotting, drugs,rock, techno and ends with Lou Reed
- The Pink Panter, Mancini at his best
- Henry the 5th (Branagh) Perfect for the movie and just a wonderful score using many period instruments)
- O Brother Where Art Thou
- The Commitments
This thread is going on six years and no one has mentioned the biggest selling, arguably the best, and undeniably the most culturally influential, soundtrack album of all time ... Saturday Night Fever.

I also like The Breakfast Club if only for the track "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds, difficult to find anywhere else.
quote:
Originally posted by Javachip:
This thread is going on six years and no one has mentioned the biggest selling, arguably the best, and undeniably the most culturally influential, soundtrack album of all time ... Saturday Night Fever.

... and with good reason. Wink
quote:
This thread is going on six years and no one has mentioned the biggest selling, arguably the best , and undeniably the most culturally influential, soundtrack album of all time ... Saturday Night Fever.

Very arguably. I'll grant best selling and influential, but one could say the same of McDonald's to food.
Tommy and The Wall are not soundtracks. They were released as lps and only were made into movies after the fact. Try playing Run like hell from the movie vis-a-vis the lp....it ain't the same, Bucky. And that is a song best listened to LOUD...much like the overture to Tommy. Incidentally, I thought the movie versions of songs in Tommy were soft and dumbed down.

The only soundtracks I still have, and can remember, are:
Chicago, The mambo kings, Magical Mystery Tour, Obscured by Clouds, Deliverance (dude tears it up on the banjo), Forest Gump, Amadeus and Curious George. I think I still may have SNF on vinyl somewhere....most likely a few others.

The Last Waltz....? superlatives are not enough, but if we're talking about concert films, it's a new thread. Dylan's 30th anniversary concert is coming out on dvd soon!
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

... and with good reason. Wink

Winner

Banana
Many good suggestions above, huge +1 for Bladerunner, 2001, Kill Bill 1&2

Three of my all-time favourite soundtracks (and films) are:
Once upon a time in the West
Once upon a time in America
The Professional
(3x music by Ennio Morricone)

I'll add a less known one: Midnight Express (Soundtrack by Giorgio Moroder)

A recent one: Tron Legacy (Soundtrack by Daft Punk)

I do like the film and the Scott Joplin music in "The Sting"

and of course soundtracks from music movies, such as Blues Brothers or Buena Vista Social Club
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:

The Professional

and of course soundtracks from music movies, such as Blues Brothers or Buena Vista Social Club

I did not include score but anything by Enricco Morricone is an automatic a ala Once Upon a Time in the West which is simply the best. Never a better mix of music and film. Franly Bernstein and Trading Places etc are the only rhings comparable.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by MoselleLuxemburg:

The Professional

I did not include score but anything by Enricco Morricone is an automatic a ala Once Upon a Time in the West which is simply the best. Never a better mix of music and film. Franly Bernstein and Trading Places etc are the only rhings comparable.

Sorry for typos. I hate the ipad for that
Big +1 on Last Temptation of Christ

I would also mention Lost in Translation (Bill Murray's karaoke take on Roxy Music's "More than This" is a hidden bonus track, and a hoot)
... and There Will Be Blood, although it just doesn't feel complete without the section of Brahms' Violin Concerto that was in the score.

Also, I enjoy a couple of albums that are not original soundtracks, but were created as new soundtracks for exhibitions of old silent movies:
Air - "Le Voyage dans la Lune" (2012, orig movie 1902)
The Cinematic Orchestra - "Man With a Movie Camera" (2003, orig movie 1929)

And if we're counting concert movies, I'd definitely include Stop Making Sense.

Add Reply

Likes (0)