Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Boy bands
Britney Spears
Tupac
Christina Aguilera
Kenny G
MC Hammer


Tupac???

I'm floored. He has more talent in his little pinky than the rest of these shmoes combined.


Did he act? This is about music and the stuff he recorded is not music...beatnik poetry, maybe, but it ain't music. So, maybe he's a gangsta poet and actor, but he sure isn't a musician. Smile

Edit: should have said "was" vs. "is"
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Boy bands
Britney Spears
Tupac
Christina Aguilera
Kenny G
MC Hammer


Tupac???

I'm floored. He has more talent in his little pinky than the rest of these shmoes combined.


Did he act? This is about music and the stuff he recorded is not music...beatnik poetry, maybe, but it ain't music. So, maybe he's a gangsta poet and actor, but he sure isn't a musician. Smile


Tupac had talent.....see the film with Janet Jackon...Poet something...blah blah

Musician? Maybe not.
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
Black Eyed Peas was the first thing that came to mind.


Best post on this thread, fact. Totally agree with Pinot's idea, but that's not enough I'm afraid. I listened to them pre-Fergie, and their hiphop was rather good. Joints and Jams was ace. But then came all this ripped off sh*te and space suits, and it's disgusting. The Dirty Dancing cover has to be the worst attempt at radio airplay in ages. Totally loath the monkeys. You can tell she was a meth addict. Beef tart.
quote:
Originally posted by Vinyrd Skynyrd:
It's too easy to just pick a commercial genre that's not to your taste and just start listing its most famous artists.

Why don't we make this more interesting: What was the most talentless rock band to achieve success in the 1960s? My vote goes to the Doors...


Hear where you're coming from but if you can come up with the (overplayed and I admit, I turn when it comes on (fact it's so long doesn't help)) Light My Fire keyboard riff, along with Break On Through, Alabama Song, and People Are Strange...oh, and Love Me 2X...you're good in my books.


I think you meant overrated perhaps though, which I agree. It's down to Jim's sexual appeal. It's like Beckham and soccer. Way out of proportion.
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.


This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of. I guarantee you he has 4 litres of Dippity-Do in his hair whilst he sleeps. No talent monkey. If you haven't kept your promise on ignoring me, Greasy, please message me. I'd love to have you round for pop (soda?) and crayons. And if you know how to kick a ball, I'm genuinely giving you the shout to play.
Last edited by adam10
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Boy bands
Britney Spears
Tupac
Christina Aguilera
Kenny G
MC Hammer


Tupac???

I'm floored. He has more talent in his little pinky than the rest of these shmoes combined.


Did he act? This is about music and the stuff he recorded is not music...beatnik poetry, maybe, but it ain't music. So, maybe he's a gangsta poet and actor, but he sure isn't a musician. Smile


Tupac had talent.....see the film with Janet Jackon...Poet something...blah blah

Musician? Maybe not.


Well since the thread title was band/artists, I assumed music based. No, did not see that movie.

Basically, I took a list of top selling musical artists from Wikipedia to come up with my list. I believe it was worldwide sales. I was pleasantly surprised that my favorite band was on there though. Since they aren't an American band, I guess the non-American sales put them up there, though one member of the band lives here in Florida now.
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick:
Yeah, so what? He's dead. Where's the value?

quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Tupac??? He has more talent in his little pinky than the rest of these shmoes combined.

He was just another rap guy punk. NO, I'm not calling him a musician or an artist. Rap is not music or art.


Music debatable. Art? That's harsh.
Kenny G., Natalie Cole, Christopher Cross, Chuck Mangione, George Winston, Journey, Kansas, Black Sabbath, all heavy metal groups (except Judas Priest), all 80's hair bands, all rap and hip hop singers and groups, any female singer since Chrissy Hynde, all Chrissy Hynde music except her first album, any female jazz vocalist since Ella Fitzgerald, and any band from the 90's that you think is any good.
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.

This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of.


You have just offended a whole bunch of people on this board with your idiotic choice of words. I hope you reflect on that and apologize.


Crap, and I giggled a bit at his post till I saw your post and remember your name. Sorry about that. Regarding vt, though, I keep giggling
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.


This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of.



Confused

wtf dude? i had no opinion of you until now. now i think you're a classless moron.

find somewhere else to play. we may take shots at each other around here, but we have the wit and underlying respect to have fun with one another without resorting to slurs.
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
Kenny G., Natalie Cole, Christopher Cross, Chuck Mangione, George Winston, Journey, Kansas, Black Sabbath, all heavy metal groups (except Judas Priest), all 80's hair bands, all rap and hip hop singers and groups, any female singer since Chrissy Hynde, all Chrissy Hynde music except her first album, any female jazz vocalist since Ella Fitzgerald, and any band from the 90's that you think is any good.


Priest gets a pass, but the other british metal bands don't? That's idiocy I tell you. Priest wouldnt exist without Sabbath, and Priest isn't the best British metal band, nor is Sabbath.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.


This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of.



Confused

wtf dude? i had no opinion of you until now. now i think you're a classless moron.

find somewhere else to play. we may take shots at each other around here, but we have the wit and underlying respect to have fun with one another without resorting to slurs.


Jorge, I hope he clarifies that he meant as a slut against vt and not Italians in general. It would make sense to me then.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vinyrd Skynyrd:
It's too easy to just pick a commercial genre that's not to your taste and just start listing its most famous artists.

Why don't we make this more interesting: What was the most talentless rock band to achieve success in the 1960s? My vote goes to the Doors...


Hear where you're coming from but if you can come up with the (overplayed and I admit, I turn when it comes on (fact it's so long doesn't help)) Light My Fire keyboard riff, along with Break On Through, Alabama Song, and People Are Strange...oh, and Love Me 2X...you're good in my books.


I think you meant overrated perhaps though, which I agree. It's down to Jim's sexual appeal. It's like Beckham and soccer. Way out of proportion.


Mind you, I like a bunch of the Doors' songs. I suppose they had some talent at least in the songwriting department. Arranging & performing, not so much.

I think if you're an aspiring rock musician, you'll learn nothing of value by studying the Doors' music. I learned many of Ray Manzarek's keyboard parts when I was in high school (in the 1980s FWIW), and it probably made me a worse keyboardist instead of a better one.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.


This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of.



Confused

wtf dude? i had no opinion of you until now. now i think you're a classless moron.

find somewhere else to play. we may take shots at each other around here, but we have the wit and underlying respect to have fun with one another without resorting to slurs.


Jorge, I hope he clarifies that he meant as a slut against vt and not Italians in general. It would make sense to me then.


Bingo. Not slut, so much though...
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick:
Yeah, so what? He's dead. Where's the value?

quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
Tupac??? He has more talent in his little pinky than the rest of these shmoes combined.

He was just another rap guy punk. NO, I'm not calling him a musician or an artist. Rap is not music or art.


First you are mistaken, I said has not had. He is still alive.

Second, I may have been a bit harsh to Christina. Trashy? Yes. Talentless? If you count her voice in the talent category, then she certainly has talent - I mean she's a judge on a musical talent show for goodness sakes.

Now on to Tupac. Art is in the eye of the beholder, history is littered with very talented artists who didn't fit the social norms. One could argue that rap is an art form and used by certain segments of the population to express themselves. It doesn't mean that all/most rappers are true artists. The same thing could be said about most practitioners in different genres and art forms.

Tupac's intelligence is obvious to me when you listen to his music. His music was way ahead of his time and is still relevant today unlike much of the "pop" stuff when listened to 5,10,15 years later.

I don't listen to much rap, never did and couldn't tell you the most recent rap disk I purchased, but guys like Pac and Ice Cube have a message in their music. They have something intelligent to say and they say it in a clever catchy way. That is what hooks me, and it's in this format where their true expression of art lies.

One doesn't have to like it, nor agree with what the message is, but that doesn't change the value of the artist's contributions.
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.


This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of.



Confused

wtf dude? i had no opinion of you until now. now i think you're a classless moron.

find somewhere else to play. we may take shots at each other around here, but we have the wit and underlying respect to have fun with one another without resorting to slurs.


Jorge, I hope he clarifies that he meant as a slut against vt and not Italians in general. It would make sense to me then.


Bingo. Not slut, so much though...


i'm not gonna get into it, but it's a racial slur regardless who it's directed at. classless.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.

Eek

This is either (a) a joke or (b)... I don't even know where to begin...


60's pre-packaged boy band. Love, love me do, we all live in a yellow submarine, back in the USSR, really? Do I need to go on? Just worthless pop crap for middle class white people looking for something safe.
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:
Kenny G., Natalie Cole, Christopher Cross, Chuck Mangione, George Winston, Journey, Kansas, Black Sabbath, all heavy metal groups (except Judas Priest), all 80's hair bands, all rap and hip hop singers and groups, any female singer since Chrissy Hynde, all Chrissy Hynde music except her first album, any female jazz vocalist since Ella Fitzgerald, and any band from the 90's that you think is any good.


Priest gets a pass, but the other british metal bands don't? That's idiocy I tell you. Priest wouldnt exist without Sabbath, and Priest isn't the best British metal band, nor is Sabbath.

I'm actually not a fan of any heavy metal, but you've got to love a heavy metal group with a gay lead singer, plus they were so over the top it was almost like a Spinal Tap parody. FWIW I saw Tap when they toured after the movie. I would rate the show an eleven.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
Beatles, nobody else even comes close.


This guy is the most retarded Guido I've ever heard of.



Confused

wtf dude? i had no opinion of you until now. now i think you're a classless moron.

find somewhere else to play. we may take shots at each other around here, but we have the wit and underlying respect to have fun with one another without resorting to slurs.


Jorge, I hope he clarifies that he meant as a slut against vt and not Italians in general. It would make sense to me then.


Bingo. Not slut, so much though...


i'm not gonna get into it, but it's a racial slur regardless who it's directed at. classless.


No it's bloody well not, at least not round our way...drama queen.

Add Reply

Post
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×