Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Looking forward to this season.  Can't wait for the abuse that the Trashtros take all year.  Their training staff better have the ice ready, b/c there is going to be some pitches coming their way all year.  Too bad they have their spring training in Florida.  We are making our annual trip to Phoenix in a little over a month, but I would have loved to be one of those guys barking at Astros players all day long.  I usually hate the obnoxious dudes who go to games just to talk trash to the other team, but I'll make an exception this year for Houston.  (And I'm not even a Yankees or Dodger fan).  

For those of us baseball purists, the rule changes and the postponements have made the season into one big asterisk.  You go to extra innings, and a runner is placed on second automatically.  You play a double header, and each game is only 7 innings, so if it is tied, a runner goes on second automatically in the 8th.  DH in the National League. A few others as well. 

Then you have a team like the Cardinals, sitting in 2nd place but having played 10 fewer games so far than the 1st place Cubs....will they be able to make up the games? Are multiple double headers fair?

The Yankees have had multiple series postponed due to virus issues, all for the other team I think, and they have played 25 games, sitting behind TampaBay which has played 31.  It's only a 60 game season, realigned opponents, and a real mess.

So, that's why I personally haven't commented here. 

@irwin posted:

For those of us baseball purists, the rule changes and the postponements have made the season into one big asterisk.  You go to extra innings, and a runner is placed on second automatically.  You play a double header, and each game is only 7 innings, so if it is tied, a runner goes on second automatically in the 8th.  DH in the National League. A few others as well. 

So, that's why I personally haven't commented here. 

You just did.

@sd-wineaux posted:

You really should have stopped there.  You're living in the past as this team is the real deal now, although hardly a lock for anything.  I don't see them getting past the Dodgers, but it could happen.

Again, I don't know anything about baseball. (However I clearly remember my father taking me to a White Sox game against the Yankees in which right at the end, due to some errors, they lost which I think also took them out of the pennant race as usual.) I'm wondering can you judge teams this year in any meaningful way or even players? Perhaps it's just the best at playing under stress.

Admittedly, not much of a baseball fan, but have to point out that the Marlins have still NEVER lost a playoff series with their sweep of the Cubs.  Never won a division title, and previously only made the playoffs twice, yet have two championships. Not a fan of theirs due to ownership refusing to spend money or keep homegrown stars, but it is a crazy stat. 7-0 all time in playoff series.

The Padres won their game by shutting out the Cardinals.  The Padres used 9 different pitchers to do this (in 9 innings). No one pitcher threw even two innings. Only two pitchers threw 20 or more pitches and only 4 pitchers gave up a hit.

Ironically, Bob Gibson, former Cardinal great, died yesterday.  He threw 255 complete games in a 17 year career.

Braves finally get a huge monkey off their back winning their first playoff series since 2001. Now they face a Marlins team they went 6-4 against in the regular season. Braves got shutout performances from Fried and Anderson so biggest question of starting pitching answered, and remember their best pitcher (Soroka) is out. Trick is to get to Marlins bullpen.

The Central Divisions of both leagues are out. They had seven teams and all are eliminated. Pretty sure it will be two east-west matchups in division series. 

The four teams left are LA Dodgers, Houston, Tampa Bay and Atlanta.  The most northern team is LA, which I think is just slightly farther north than Atlanta.

The Stanley cup was won by a team from Florida over a team from Texas.

The NBA finals involve a team from LA and a team from Miami.

Why are all of these teams from the south? I guess it's just an anomaly.

In this asterisk laden season, the American League championship series is being played in a National League city, and the National League championship is being played in an American league city. Go figure.

Last night Will Smith of the Braves through a 3-2 fastball to Will Smith of the Dodgers who hit a home run.  Smith is the most common surname in the United States.  First time a pitcher and a hitter faced each other with identical names in baseball history

Last edited by irwin

In the LA Times , "Dodgers go from October Madness to magic and punch the World Series ticket."

I know people want a winner but I just don't understand how you can get enthused over season that is 37% of a normal season. The whole point about baseball, as opposed to football, is that a lot of games are played in the best teams survive the season.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.