Congratulations to the Washington Nationals!  What a resilient, relentless bunch!  Corbin was incredible tonight!

I'm very happy for the Nats fans on the WS boards (i.e. PH, Lentini, and others).

Congrats to the Nationals for winning the World Series.  Very disappointing to see the Astros lose, but the Nationals were better in the clutch when it was needed. 

Remarkable series. No wins by the home team in 7 games.  Nats come from behind like they did all year. Hard to believe they started the year at 19-31.  No question as to who the "manager of the year" should be (at least not in my mind).

I remember going to the final Washington Senators game in 1971. Sitting in the upper deck in left field with a high school buddy.  The Nationals are a different franchise of course, and Washington is a different city than it was in 1971. 

Orioles spring training starts in 101 days.

Congrats to the Nationals and their fans, especially PH. Glad to see Strasburg and Kendrick be able to celebrate this. 

Congrats indeed to Nats and their fans.  It’s a great feeling.

On a side note, Mattress Mack in Houston lost about $13M in bets he made with various sports books across the country.  The move was to hedge a sales promotion where he would refund customers who bought his mattresses if the Astros won the World Series.  That is a lot of mattresses.  

More on the Nationals.... They came from behind in 5 games in which they faced elimination.  They were the first team to win 4 world series games on the road. Steve Strasburg was the first pitcher to go 5-0 in the post season, winning 18 in the regular season. Juan Soto hit one world series home run before his 21st birthday and 2 HRs after his birthday, which was between games 2 and 3.

Thanks for the kind words, all.  Crazy stuff indeed.  Strasburg is MVP, and deservingly so.  Here's a crazy stat for you.  Anthony Rendon, who I've been a big fan of since they called him up in 2013, had 8 at bats in "elimination" games in the 7th inning or later.  In those at bats he got: walk, homer, double, homer, homer, double and homer.  The guy has got ice water in his veins.  A free agent now, he's going to get paid, and paid well.  I hope the Nats can keep him around.  Strasburg also has an opt-out this year.  Need to keep him too.  The Lerners (very good owners, especially by Washington standards) can certainly afford it.

This World Series thing, when you have a team in the hunt, is really stressful.  Talking with friends yesterday, I likened it to cocaine or speed.  Incredible highs followed by terrible crashes.  If you're going to remain healthy, you KNOW that you can't do it for long or you're gonna die!!  One way or the other, I was ready for the season to end last night.  Glad it ended the way it did.

Not on to hockey!  GO CAPS!!!

PH

billhike posted:

Not on? 

Could have been Freudian!   I love hockey, but baseball is my first love.  I have hard time understanding how people don't like it, but again... it's a slower game with an emphasis on strategy and finesse, coupled with power and speed.  I find that the most serious baseball fans have played competitive ball in their pasts.

PH

Congrats to maybe the most passionate baseball fans that I know. I have never seen a team comeback in seemingly every situation like that. I knew when I saw the celebration (beer flying in the air and such) of the Nats beating Milwaukee that they were going to be a tough out. My first impression of hearing they had little chance in the WS was to bet them heavily. It's baseball, anything can happen.

As for Hinch pulling Grienke, or not going to Cole, I still think the Nats win. They were just on that type of roll.

And one last thing, I am not over the Braves blowing their series against the Cards.   

Just watched highlights of the parade in DC for the Nats' homecoming.  Estimates are +/- 1,000,000 fans showed for the parade.  Passionate fans indeed.  Bravo Washington, DC!

PH

irwin posted:

1 million? wow.

When I heard that number, I was a bit surprised.  Should be interesting to hear the final estimates.  There were sure a lot of folks there, though.  Fun ending to a crazy season.

PH

Last edited by purplehaze

I wonder if the image of Kurt Suzuki in his red hat getting his nipples fondled by 45 will be printed on Nats tickets for next year.

billhike posted:

I wonder if the image of Kurt Suzuki in his red hat getting his nipples fondled by 45 will be printed on Nats tickets for next year.

That was gross, as was Ryan Zimmerman's comments (IMO).  Wondering how PH and other Nats fans feel about those moments 

patespo1 posted:
billhike posted:

That was gross, as was Ryan Zimmerman's comments (IMO).  Wondering how PH and other Nats fans feel about those moments 

Not at all pleased, but I've never given a fuck what athletes and actors do or say politically. They are no more qualified to comment on the goings on in the country than you or I.

PH

Last edited by purplehaze
purplehaze posted:
patespo1 posted:
billhike posted:

Not at all pleased, but I've never given a fuck what athletes and actors do or say politically. They are no more qualified to comment on the goings on in the country than you or I.

PH

Agreed. 

billhike posted:

Strasburg stays in D.C. for 7/245. Good for him but I wonder how long until it feels like an albatross.

Maybe you should ask Angels fans how much they love the contract that Pujols signed at the age of 32.  Just one postseason appearance, zero series wins, and the most classic definition of diminishing returns...  

azwiese posted:
billhike posted:

Strasburg stays in D.C. for 7/245. Good for him but I wonder how long until it feels like an albatross.

Maybe you should ask Angels fans how much they love the contract that Pujols signed at the age of 32.  Just one postseason appearance, zero series wins, and the most classic definition of diminishing returns...  

I don’t know any. 

I’m hoping Cole does not end up in the Bronx.  The Yankees just finished eating up the Ellsbury contract.  Stanton played a total of like 14 games last year.  

I'm an Angel fan!

The Pujols contract has been awful, of course, but it was for 10 years and his performance tailed off quickly.  Having that along with Hamilton's even worse deal was a clear issue.  Giving Pujols ABs when he's a replacement level player (or worse) over the last three seasons was organizational stubbornness.  

The Nationals had a good experience with the Scherzer deal.  Maybe they will luck out twice.

Neil

doubled posted:

I’m hoping Cole does not end up in the Bronx.  The Yankees just finished eating up the Ellsbury contract.  Stanton played a total of like 14 games last year.  

too bad.  9 yrs at $340+ million. That is a big risk for a pitcher. Meanwhile, Rendon just signed with the Dodgers for $245 million for 7 years.

irwin posted:
doubled posted:

too bad.  9 yrs at $340+ million. That is a big risk for a pitcher. Meanwhile, Rendon just signed with the Dodgers for $245 million for 7 years.

Angels, actually. 

billhike posted:
irwin posted:
doubled posted:

Angels, actually. 

oops.  3000 miles from me in any event.

Angels are the first team to sign three players to $200+ million contracts.  Maybe that will finally get Trout a post-season win.  

Obviously, it's a lot for Rendon but 3B has been a major short-coming for the team dating back to when Chone Figgins was there for a few seasons.

Neil

Astros fire Manager and GM over sign stealing. Red Sox (Cora) is next. Guess cheating does pay, because Houston and Boston won WS in '17 and '18.

Astros title should be vacated;  I'm not sure the extent of the Red Sox cheating but if similar theirs should be vacated also. 

patespo1 posted:

Astros title should be vacated;  I'm not sure the extent of the Red Sox cheating but if similar theirs should be vacated also. 

+1.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.