Game 1 of the NLCS, Anibal Sanchez takes a no-hitter into the 8th inning.  Game 2, Max Scherzer takes a no-hitter into the 7th.  No two pitchers on the same team have taken no-hitters past the 6th inning in history in consecutive games in the postseason.

The only thing close is when two pitchers took no-hitters into the 5th inning in consecutive games in the ALCS six years ago for the Tigers.  Guess who those two pitchers were?  Yup... Sanchez and Scherzer.  Damn.  On Monday night, the Nat's have some bum named Stephen Strasburg taking the mound.  GO NATS!

PH

irwin posted:

Should be in the 40's tonight at game time in St. Louis, after some drizzle.  Ideal weather for baseball.  World series scheduled to start on Oct. 22.  I sort of hope the Yankees beat Houston, just to watch the Yankee fans shiver during the home world series games.

Pray for snow!!   Yankees deserve it

The Washington Nationals become the first MLB team from Washington to make it to the world series since 1933.  In the Washington suburbs there is a high school named "Walter Johnson High School" named, obviously, for the great pitcher of that era. (Actually, his last year was 1927).  Walter Johnson, the pitcher, threw 5900 innings and gave up fewer than 100 home runs in his career, against 3500+ strikeouts.

Anyway, if the Nationals can rest up while the AL teams battle it out, their pitching should be in good shape for the series.  Maybe they will name a high school after Strasburg or Scherzer.

Good for Nats.  I watched zero baseball this season but have been catching some of the playoff action. Having not really followed baseball, it is really interesting to see how the strike zone has changed.  A lot of these high pitches would never ever have been called strikes in the 90s early 2000s.  

Gerrit Cole is a nasty pitcher - didn't even have his best stuff last night.  Not sure if anyone saw the sequence, where he got a questionable low and away fastball called a strike, the next pitch slider looked that same pitch was the the exact spot, and the hitter had to swing based on the previous call and the thing dove like 8 inches - it looked like I was swinging or something.  Awesome

patespo1 posted:

Haven't watched an inning of playoff baseball this year, just popping in to wish PH and his Nationals good luck in the WS.  Oh, and F@ck the Yankees! (Love you DD).  

Thanks, Pat!  It's been a real rollercoaster of a season.  After they put up 7 in the 1st inning, I thought I might get to relax and enjoy the rest of the game stress free.  Should have known that wasn't happening.  Hope they can stay loose and be ready next Tuesday.  GO NATS!!

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)